You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Navis_Nobilite

Are Italian cruisers really that bad?

23 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
361 posts

I'm up to the Raimondo Montecuccoli (tier v) and it's a decent ship. I do think it's reload is way too long, but other than that, I like it. I've heard many other people say that they don't like the Italian cruisers, though. Am I missing something?

I do only play co-op, so maybe that's why.

Edited by danbuter

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,332 battles

Italian Cruisers are like the French DD: with no taste until tier 8.

• Cool 2

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,099 posts
7,995 battles

At lower tiers they struggle, since a lot of battleships have distributed armor schemes which result in SAP shells being rather lacking. So they can't reliably damage a good portion of the ships they will face.

Starting with Tier 6/7/8 this gradually changes, as a lot of BBs become softer against SAP (Lyon->Richelieu, Iron Duke->QE->KGV, Gneisenau is a lonely ship with weak upper belt, Nagato and Izumo+) so you can more reliably damage them.

Add to that that starting at Tier 8 they have both good durability and good speed (Zara is rather slow, the ones below very soft skinned ships), and you'll have a line that only starts shining with Amalfi.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
361 posts

Seems like WOWS is following the WOT design team (see Polish, Czech tanks). Everything below the highest tiers sucks or is just mediocre, so you are "forced" to move up to the high tiers to have fun. Sadly, this helps leave the mid tiers empty of players (and I have the most fun around tiers 5 - 6).

Edited by danbuter
  • Cool 1

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,342 posts
13,263 battles
1 hour ago, danbuter said:

I'm up to the Raimondo Montecuccoli (tier v) and it's a decent ship. I do think it's reload is way too long, but other than that, I like it. I've heard many other people say that they don't like the Italian cruisers, though. Am I missing something?

The Tier 5 Italian Cruiser is the last one to have the smaller guns.  Tier 6 and up have 203mm guns, with their projectile speed increasing up to Tier 8 where it stays.

Italian Cruisers are devastating in good hands.  The forum-world decided they were trash, until people learned how to play them.  They quickly became the new OP.

Venezia has already received a nerf after her dominance in the previous clan battle season, so understand that the line may be further altered in the coming months (though I wouldn't expect the changes to be very large ones).

• Cool 1

[DVYJC]
Members
4,246 posts
10,868 battles

Amalfi, Brindisi, and Venezia are fantastic. Accurate and powerful guns, good speed and maneuverability. Very satisfying gunnery experience. Zara is good, but you don't really get the full flavor until Tier VIII. You need to fight at mid range and learn to manage your detection and be hard to hit.

• Cool 3

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers
196 posts
10,219 battles

Ground the line until I secured the Venezia. Not my cup of tea. She's a port queen to me.

[GRETA]
Members
1,430 posts
10,883 battles
2 hours ago, danbuter said:

Seems like WOWS is following the WOT design team (see Polish, Czech tanks). Everything below the highest tiers sucks or is just mediocre, so you are "forced" to move up to the high tiers to have fun. Sadly, this helps leave the mid tiers empty of players (and I have the most fun around tiers 5 - 6).

I would have to disagree,  T7&8 have some amazing ships both premium and tech tree, T9 also has some gems.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,694 posts
23,782 battles
2 hours ago, danbuter said:

Your missing the Venezia. 

[RLGN]
Members
16,213 posts
28,085 battles

I like Gorizia, and Genova, and Duca aCosta, but have no motivation to play anything else.

Refuse to drag tushy through an entire line just to get Venezia.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,840 battles
3 hours ago, danbuter said:

Am I missing something?

A lot of pain on your way to tier 7 or 8, where they start to get better.

[NGA-B]
[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
199 posts
11,094 battles

Italian cruisers, regardless of tier, take a certain type of playstyle, especially with their full speed smoke generator.  SAP is nice against DD's and soft cruisers/BB's.  Need to fight mid-long range and be mindful of BBs that can delete you, especially T7 and below.  I'm at T9 and have enjoyed the line once I got the hang of them.  They don't tank very well and are much more  useful as mid-long range snipers. You're a support ship and if you keep that in mind, they're very useful in skilled hands. They can't be used to push a flank.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
898 posts
11 hours ago, danbuter said:

I also only play co-op and I enjoy the Italian cruisers very much. Take a look at this and decide for yourself if Italian cruisers are good for co-op. Keep in mind that I am not an "elite" player, just a potato looking to relax by blowing up pixel boats.

image.png.77593e7912202be62cf766c647f07eab.png

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,456 posts
20,059 battles
On 8/2/2020 at 7:58 AM, HallaSnackbar said:

I would have to disagree,  T7&8 have some amazing ships both premium and tech tree, T9 also has some gems.

I think danbuter was referring specifically to the Italian line, comparing it to the Polish and Czech tanks, in which case he has a point. You have to get to Trento to have a meh ship. Then Zara, which is decent, and the line gets better from there. Most lines have at least one "keeper" thru T6.

• Cool 1

[-H-]
Members
213 posts
6,448 battles

In my hands I actually enjoyed them right up until the Amalif. T8 and you find yourself constantly being spotted DDs, terrible SAP performance against BBs and cruisers that have faster firing faster turning guns.  In my hands its been absolutely brutal and if it wasn't for ranked, I'd never play it again. As it is I'm grinding through ranked with it and essentially becoming nothing but bait. 

[WOLF3]
Members
30,951 posts
26,039 battles

I don't think too highly of the ITA CA Line, to put it nicely.  However, Venezia is a beast.  Unfortunately for her she got a nerf very recently and I'm concerned more may follow.  Before her nerf, she was overperforming the same way Henri IV was before WG nerfed the ever living hell out of the French Cruiser.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:07 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I knew people were going to question WG nerfing Venezia, but I've been following those stats off and on for quite a while and it becomes very clear:  Venezia is performing at an extremely high level.

I know it's been said in the past but WG pays a lot of attention to RU Server.  It's the largest server population out of the 4 official servers:  RU > EU > NA > Asia Server

They play a lot more battles than we do here in NA.  That said, some Tech Tree Tier X Cruiser stats:

RU Server 2nd Quarter 2020 (2020-03-28 thru 06-27)

Venezia 212,722 Battles Played / 52.63% WR / 89,904 Dmg Avg

Zao 290,979 / 48.96% / 67,073

Hindenburg 262,113 / 49.01% / 71,270

Henri IV 83,219 / 49.57% / 71,203

Goliath 61,787 / 52.09% / 81,869

Minotaur 232,198 / 50.44% / 62,413

Alexander Nevsky 63,803 / 50.49% / 69,680

Moskva 424,126 / 48.75% / 59,724 (I included Moskva because she transitioned from a Tech Tree Ship in this period)

Smolensk 552,017 / 48.49% / 67,275

Des Moines 288,606 / 51.37% / 65,539

Worcester 118,110 / 50.08% / 63,856

The numbers Venezia is doing now was what Henri IV was doing before WG started nerfing her heavily.

RU Server 2nd Quarter 2019 (2019-03-30 thru 06-29)

Henri IV 189,601 Battles / 52.33% WR / 87,572 Dmg Avg

Extremely strong parallels in performance from pre-nerf Henri IV to pre-nerf Venezia.

Historical footage of WG nerfing Henri IV, c1948 (Colorized)

tenor.gif

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,456 posts
20,059 battles
23 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Historical footage of WG nerfing Henri IV, c1948 (Colorized)

Pretty much. Notice it is now rare to see a Henri. 

[SALVO]
Members
8,264 posts
6,122 battles
On 8/2/2020 at 7:20 AM, danbuter said:

I don't think italian cruisers have a fair chance to shine in coop, their DPM is on the lower side so you can't rack up damage in short time. They are much better in randoms.

Members
1,650 posts
On 8/2/2020 at 10:37 AM, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Amalfi, Brindisi, and Venezia are fantastic. Accurate and powerful guns, good speed and maneuverability. Very satisfying gunnery experience. Zara is good, but you don't really get the full flavor until Tier VIII. You need to fight at mid range and learn to manage your detection and be hard to hit.

the Venezia has been nerfed badly, her agility is no longer what it was, and the RoF has been nerfed as well...I hope that WG will stop nerfing this ship...

[DVYJC]
Members
4,246 posts
10,868 battles
15 minutes ago, loco_max said:

the Venezia has been nerfed badly, her agility is no longer what it was, and the RoF has been nerfed as well...I hope that WG will stop nerfing this ship...

LOL I was 9k XP on Brindisi away from unlocking Venezia when the nerf went into effect, so I've only played her post-nerf. Still very fond... I think she looks great, especially with the grigio-azzurro chiaro permacamo, and is still a real pleasure to sail.

• Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
1,386 posts
4,479 battles

I found the mid tiers to be so terribly uninteresting that I couldn't continue moving forward with the line.  I guess they're not bad, but they're just not play makers like I expect them to be.