daveb02

Ship Research Diversity

7 comments in this topic

[MOEKA]
Members
2 posts
336 battles

Hello.  I am new to the game and have made a few minor mistakes along the way through a lack of understanding but am catching on.  I got as fast as I could toward a level V battleship but am wondering if I need to get something that has torpedoes prior to progressing any farther up that chain.  I am seeing missions that require a certain number of torpedo hits and that got me to thinking if I should go for a Level V cruiser with torpedoes or if I should skip those missions.  I also saw this German Carrier set of missions, but I have made my efforts for a different country and will take a while before I can think about that one.  So much to consider, but it comes down to which ships to research. Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thank you

• Cool 1

[PN]
Members
113 posts
5,108 battles

Starting off its really going to be down to what you want to play. The missions you are seeing are based on the German carrier event but those will change eventually so it best not to change your ships just to suit missions. I would say get your Battleships to tier 8 and then work on another line as an extra for missions and what not. Stick with what you like and then start working on other lines as you progress. 

Definitely check out streamers to get a good indication on how a lot of lines play to see what you may like to pick up next!

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,625 posts
4,335 battles

Welcome to World of Warships and the forum.

I think it's a good idea to branch out into different lines. It helps break the monotony and you can learn how different types of ships perform in battle.

If you want to branch out into a torpedo cruiser line, I would recommend the French or German cruisers. The French cruisers generally have weak armour but high top speed. They're great at starting fires. Starting at Tier 6, their torpedoes have a good 9 km range. The German cruisers have good AP shells with a long firing range. They have lots of torpedo launchers, but their range is quite short at 6 km.

Check out the World of Warships Wiki for more info about in-game content. Also check out the Training hub on the main website for a range of helpful videos and guides.

If you need help with anything, don't be afraid to ask. Good luck with your battles!

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,752 posts
14,931 battles
7 hours ago, daveb02 said:

Hello.  I am new to the game and have made a few minor mistakes along the way through a lack of understanding but am catching on.  I got as fast as I could toward a level V battleship but am wondering if I need to get something that has torpedoes prior to progressing any farther up that chain.  I am seeing missions that require a certain number of torpedo hits and that got me to thinking if I should go for a Level V cruiser with torpedoes or if I should skip those missions.  I also saw this German Carrier set of missions, but I have made my efforts for a different country and will take a while before I can think about that one.  So much to consider, but it comes down to which ships to research. Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thank you

Hi! Welcome to WoWS!

The short answer is: do whatever you find fun, this is a game after all.  Dont feel obliged to do the missions or campaign objectives that are too hard or require you to play in a way you dont like.  Having said that, I think it is really helpful to have some experience playing destroyers, cruisers and battleships so when you encounter these enemies in-game, you have a better feel for what they can and cant do, what their strengths and weaknesses are.  

I have copied some information below that may be of assistance to you.  Otherwise, if we're both online at the same time send me an in-game message and I'd be happy to division up with you. 

Good luck!

For new players, I recommend the following nations and tech tree branches as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Light Cruiser line (ending in Minotaur) - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
    • French: Low tier these ships arent anything special; however, by mid tier they become multi-barrelled shotguns and by T8+ they become (less armoured) speed demons - a truly varied line that might help you determine what kind of ship you like playing. I found them fun.  
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  However, as a general principle Royal Navy carriers are easier to play but less impactful on the battle - seek out enemy ships that have just used DCP in order to set lots of fires that stick.  Japanese carriers do far more direct damage with their AP bombs and heavier torpedo plane squadrons, but they are harder to play and you need to understand AP bomb pen mechanics and search for citadels. USN carriers are somewhere in between - see iChase's video guide to get a grasp of the basics.  Also, TopTier's example shows how to play low tier carriers well - in particular, where you should drive your carrier to stay alive. 

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - see Section 3 - its worth a read!
  • Cool 3

Members
2,914 posts
5,646 battles

@UltimateNewbie makes good points, but I did British CLs as one of my first ship lines, and while he's right about how hard they are to learn, they are for the same reason one of the best ways to learn WOWS if you are ok with a steep learning curve.

• Cool 1

[MOEKA]
Members
2 posts
336 battles

Thank you all.  This is very helpful info.  I got to the New York in the American line and have been having a lot of fun with that.  Prior, I was playing the Ishizuchi battleship since I got it as part of the starter pack.  I appreciate the overview of the different countries.  I noticed the Ishizuchi was much faster than the New York and that makes a difference as I has one battle with the New York and several cruisers and destroyers and I managed to hit nothing for the entire battle.  I am not sure I even got a shot off. (that was a rarity because other battles go well!).  My main hold up at this point is the experience points.  I would have to research the level IV and V American cruisers as these are what is affordable.  My premium account runs out tonight and I am busy this week so I may just take some more time to review what you all have posted and the additional references.  Too bad I got in at the last minute for the dockyard.as that looks like it would have been fun.  But if I guess correctly, it will be followed up soon by another project.  I managed to get the Rhein via a completed mission and tried it.  I agree so far with the post that suggests it would be better to hold off on that for now as it is about flying planes.  I couldn't grasp those mechanics too well although I did score a hit on my first torpedo launch and rocket launch.  I would have ot look at the bombers in more detail as I didn't understand those.  This game is a lot of fun.  Tkaes a lot of time if you let it, though.

• Cool 1

[X-M-S]
Members
12 posts
1,245 battles

I'm 4 months or so into this game, so still a beginner but ahead of you in exploring the game.  I've gotten one line up to tier 8, a couple at tier 7 and a couple more at tier 5.  Getting to tier 5 is not bad.  It slows down after that.  I've been playing destroyers, cruisers and battleships.  I'm not yet sure what my preferred ship type/play style is - it sometimes depends on my mood.  I felt like playing different ships to learn their capabilities and see the differences would be better than just sticking with one line in the long run, but it would probably help my win rate to stick with one.

Around tier 6 credits started being the bottle-neck for me rather than XP.  I'm playing more co-op lately as I couldn't afford the improvements from the stock ship.  Noob player + stock ship + up-tiered and I don't want to make my team carry me in randoms.  I'm enjoying the coop play, but it is slower progression. 

Most of the missions can be done with any tier 5 or higher ship it seems.  There are a few that require higher tier ships, and there are some that require a certain nation and/or ship type.  Since I've got one up to tier 8,  now I'm trying to get a couple more nations up to tier 5 so I can complete more missions in the directives and so I can play different ships at the same tier to compare them.  I didn't get too far on the dockyard as I had to spend my time grinding a german ship up to tier 8 and a couple other lines up to tier 5.  I'm hoping to get further on this event, but it's not necessary to complete all of the missions or directives.  There will always be another event.

• Cool 1