Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
strykerpsg

Hayate or Smalland?

Tier X 2 million FXP ships, which one?  

59 members have voted

  1. 1. Tier X 2 million FXP ships, which one?

    • Smalland
      33
    • Hayate
      11
    • Bacon
      15

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

16
[SWNG]
Beta Testers
137 posts
6,472 battles

Finally established 2 million and counting FXP. While not necessarily in a hurry to just throw it on any particular ship, I do think the Hayate and Smalland are pretty unique in their own right. 

Which have you chose or would choose and why please? I am indeed curious to see the outcome.

Thanks in advance.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Hayate

Hayate_wows_main.jpg

 

                                                                   or

 

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Småland

Sm%C3%A5land_wows_main.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
955
[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,659 posts
8,188 battles

I was going to vote seriously, but then I saw bacon. 

...smaland

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
312
[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
800 posts
14,296 battles

Just personal preference I went with Hayate. For me personally, I didn't see a big enough difference from Smaland to Halland. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles

If you get Hayate consider getting that special perma camo for it. I don’t have it personally, but have seen it in battle and looks absolutely stunning.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
390
[PHD]
Members
1,930 posts
7,441 battles

I got the Hayate because I work the IJN DD line and only have 2 EU DDs (T5&6).

I watched Kuro's video on the Hayate.  He liked the the Hayate and the Smalland. But said the Hayate worked best with a captain trained for the ship ( no EM needed for example) rather than any normal IJN DD captain builds while the Smalland could use most any EU DD captain. So the Smalland had more utility with captain assignments. So if you have the EU DD line the Smalland would be the better pick.

If there ever is a bacon ship, what nation would it be?

Haidia would have to be Canadian Bacon, of course. 

Do I smell Bacon? BACON!!!!!:cap_wander::Smile_izmena:

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,129
[GRETA]
Members
1,429 posts
10,883 battles

From what I read prior to starting the grind toward Halland is that Smalland is more of a gunboat Halland is a torp boat.  Halland is as good if not better than Smalland.  I would grind Halland and free xp hayate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,083
[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
14,165 battles

Have Hayate. It's not worth it. There are better gunboats and if you don't run TRB then it's not even a good torp boat. And you are almost defenseless against CV without smoke. It can do well in either one. Just not good enough to justify the cost.

Smalland doesn't seem to be offer much more than Halland. Fewer torp tubes and shorter range with the same reload. Radar on a DD is useless unless you div with a high DPM cruiser. If you like pew pew, Friesland has far more tools for that and costs half.

Both Hayate and Smalland lack the gimmicks for CB so you don't get much value there either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
815
[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
15 hours ago, strykerpsg said:

Finally established 2 million and counting FXP. While not necessarily in a hurry to just throw it on any particular ship, I do think the Hayate and Smalland are pretty unique in their own right. 

Which have you chose or would choose and why please? I am indeed curious to see the outcome.

Thanks in advance.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Hayate

Hayate_wows_main.jpg

 

                                                                   or

 

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Småland

Sm%C3%A5land_wows_main.jpg

I myself am saving for the smaland, I like the halland but I like the little bit faster gun reload and radar capabilities... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,256
[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
On 8/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, HallaSnackbar said:

From what I read prior to starting the grind toward Halland is that Smalland is more of a gunboat Halland is a torp boat.  Halland is as good if not better than Smalland.  I would grind Halland and free xp hayate.

I think your right about this.  There really is a small, small difference between the Smalland and the Halland.  The Smalland gets a very slight buff to rate of fire the the expense of slower, shorter range torps and a few less of them.  Also I think the Halland has like 0.1 km better concealment.   Other than that they are clones.

The gimmick of Smalland is that it gets Radar the the expense of the AA consumable but it is very short ranged radar.  However it does give the Smalland a pretty big advantage in DD on DD engagements compared to the Halland because often as not, the Halland finds itself engaging with an enemy DD and often winning, only to see the enemy DD proceed to just smoke up and slip away.  The Smalland doesn't allow them to do this.  This can be a pretty huge advantage but it is obviously very situational.

I don't know as much about the Hayate but from what I have read and seen, unlike the Smalland and the Halland which are very similar, she seems to offer a unique playstyle all her own.  That is a selling point to consider for the Hayate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[SWNG]
Beta Testers
137 posts
6,472 battles

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I initially picked up Smaland but had some buyers remorse for not getting the Hayate first, as I have always liked the IJN DD playstyle. Long story short, I now have both, including the beautiful camouflage mentioned by Admiral_Thrawn_1, thank you for the recommendation.

And, before I get beat up too badly about not having a life, that's a true statement currently while I am working away from home last 5 months training Soldiers on the new DVHA1 Stryker fighting vehicle, so lots of free time, lol.

On 8/1/2020 at 11:18 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If you get Hayate consider getting that special perma camo for it. I don’t have it personally, but have seen it in battle and looks absolutely stunning.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WoWS Community Contributors
3,487 posts
13,958 battles

From a competitive stand point its not really close.  Smaland is shaping up to be the better ship.  I have yet to see a single Hayate brought to high level competitive events.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,083
[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
14,165 battles
23 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

From a competitive stand point its not really close.  Smaland is shaping up to be the better ship.  I have yet to see a single Hayate brought to high level competitive events.

Smalland is great in a real team setup. Not as much when running solo, but still potent.

Hayate is great in... mmm... I am drawing a blank. It's not bad. At least not the worst ship you can have. But there's really no situation that she excels in.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,423
[D-DAY]
Members
6,979 posts
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 5:43 AM, Sinboto said:

I was going to vote seriously, but then I saw bacon. 

...smaland

Thank you. my thoughts exactly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,423
[D-DAY]
Members
6,979 posts
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 12:52 AM, strykerpsg said:

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I initially picked up Smaland but had some buyers remorse for not getting the Hayate first, as I have always liked the IJN DD playstyle. Long story short, I now have both, including the beautiful camouflage mentioned by Admiral_Thrawn_1, thank you for the recommendation.

And, before I get beat up too badly about not having a life, that's a true statement currently while I am working away from home last 5 months training Soldiers on the new DVHA1 Stryker fighting vehicle, so lots of free time, lol.

 

Could I ask what the cost of the camo was (as it was $32 when it first went on sale - for the same attributes as the camo you got with the hayate when spending the FXP)?

 

Just interested, whatever the price if you thought it worth it then it's your money (and the camo looks great) :Smile_honoring:, I'm just interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[SWNG]
Beta Testers
137 posts
6,472 battles

It is offered on the "Exterior" tab for 8000 doubloons. Sorta heavy in cost but looked fantastic, so I swapped. I had an excessive amount of doubloons from some birthday mega crates, so was not a big deal for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
181
[NG-NL]
Members
421 posts
11,012 battles

Oh gosh, that Black Lacquer camouflage is drop-dead gorgeous!
Well done!

I sometimes bring Småland in a division with Smolensk. I'd love to hear what abuse you can give with Hayate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
168
[WOLFL]
Members
1,037 posts
37,246 battles

I have both, I think that HAYATE  is better , he make very damage torps, the SMALAND is good but HALLAND has better torps,     (halland: torps speed 90, range 15k)   (smaland: torps speed 80, range 12k)

shot-20.10.04_06.51.26-0653.jpg

shot-20.10.04_06.51.56-0883.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
204
[R-R-R]
Members
1,069 posts
11,391 battles

I recently got Smaland and she is amazing at hunting DDs with radar + ultra speed boost.

Hayate has 20 torp meme and pretty good guns. I think she is a fine boat as well.

Edited by Exciton8964

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
115
[CHASE]
Modder
139 posts
5,094 battles
On 9/29/2020 at 5:04 PM, chewonit said:

Smalland is great in a real team setup. Not as much when running solo, but still potent.

Based on what? Småland has the 2nd highest HE DPM of all T10 DDs, just behind Marceau, and she can literally stealth radar. She's an absolutely monstrous DD hunter. She also has heal and the strongest engine boost in the entire game at 30%. How is that not good for solo? DDs that are good DD hunters, such as Daring, tend to be considered good for solo, so your statement holds zero logic. But hey the less people know about Småland, the happier I am to play it because enemies don't know the trouble I can cause haha.

Hayate on the other hand offers nothing special except the ability to mount torpedo reload booster instead of smoke. But Hayate is the worst of both worlds, she has neither the torpedo power of Shimakaze nor gunpower of Gearing, and to make matters worse has 6.1km concealment at best. She's an absolutely meaningless addition to the game.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[HEROS]
Members
2,086 posts
18,839 battles

oh boy.. yea the Min/Maxers have their opinions.  But the simple fact is, is the ship doesn't fight it's self.  Smaland is a good boat.  No if and or buts about it but I've managed to kill quite a few of them in a Harekaze that gets uptiered (which for me seems to be most of the time).  Apparently a number of Smaland drivers suffer from some serious overconfidence.  Perhaps the greatest advantage to Hayate may be truly in-obvious. Very very very few players have one so few really know how to fight them.  If your good in a Yugumo, you'll be even better in Hayate mostly because of the guns.  The faster reload is a potent bit of pew pew.  Packing 1 additional torp per launcher is also a potent add and remember those IJN torps have a base damage of what 23k per torpedo?  That some very serious alpha when the hit.

TRB v Smoke.. depends on you.  In the current meta it really doesn't matter what DD you drive.  If the CV is any good at all and wants you dead. your going to be dead.   Taking TRB is risky, but if your in a the Smaland and take radar and run into a savy CV player your toast.  And you might as well take Radar for the same reason that a Hayate player would take TRB.   In for a dime, in for a dollar.   The extra firepower opportunity might even allow you to take that pesky radar packing Smaland with you when you go. 

If you extend to deeply in a DD in the wrong place at the wrong time your going to be dead no matter what your driving.  DD play is a mix of cautious and aggressive and rapidly appearing and disappearing opportunity..  The trick is learning when to be which and if/when to go for it.  As for Hayate being average. How can anyone possible justify such a statement?  The ship is just a tool. it's the driver that makes it good or bad.   It's not the ship... it's YOU.   I am expert but prolly just a tad too aggressive for my own good in IJN DD's.

But thats on me, not the ship.    At tier X all the ships are specialized even the "generalists"  and they all have the potential to be very dangerous ships.  There are no exceptions in the tier tech tree, premium, coal, steel, or FXP.  IJN torps were heavily nurfed 3 1/2 years ago and have never been un nerfed in spite of all the power creep that has happened since. Even a minimal .1 Km reduction in detection range would be a significant increase in power.    I'll be getting Hayate    I am very comfortable with the Kagero, Harekaze, Yugumo play style and Hayate is really nothing more then a Yugumo with faster firing longer ranged guns and 1 more torp per launcher.  Not a real big increase, but Yugumo can easily hold its own in a tier X fight so Hayate should do noticeably better.   It's definitely a torp boat just with much improved guns that also can function as long range AA with a pretty effective punch.  Teh raw number put it's AA as better the the tech tress Torp DD's, better then HSF Harekaze, Akizuki, and on par with Haurgumo mostly because of the 5 twin mount Bofers 40mm's in pack along with a hand full of IJN 25mm's.  WIth a 2.3 Km air detect range there is potential for slam dunk the first set of aircraft that over fly you if you time it right.  If Harekaze at tier VIII can do it to tier X air then Hayate being tier X should be able to do even better.

No one stat stands out with Hayate but all of her stats are solidly good.  Excellence will be determined by the drivers performance.  I'm rather expecting excellence myself but we'll see!

Warlord Sends

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,413
[DVYJC]
Members
4,229 posts
10,848 battles

I just played my first Hayate game. I got Smaland when she was released, so I may be one of the uncommon non-super-unicum players who isn't a no-lifer but still owns both and is a destroyer main.

My first thought on Hayate was that she feels a lot like Gearing with minor tradeoffs. Weapon layout is identical. She gets worse maneuverability, but is a little faster. She gets worse stealth, but longer-ranged and more powerful torpedoes. She has better alpha on her guns but slightly slower rate of fire. Overall so far I actually like her more than Smaland. She's very much a generalist at a tier where destroyers tend to be specialists.

This being said, if you like DDs and you have 2M FXP and neither ship, get Smaland before she goes away. Hayate isn't going away any time soon.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
115
[CHASE]
Modder
139 posts
5,094 battles
15 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

....

First of all please start using "your" and "you're" correctly, reading your long comment was pretty difficult.

 

15 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

but if your in a the Smaland and take radar

Småland can't choose anything else than radar...

 

15 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

IJN torps were heavily nurfed 3 1/2 years ago and have never been un nerfed in spite of all the power creep that has happened since.

False, the 12km ones got a 0.2km concealment buff, from 1.9 to 1.7km, ~2 years ago. But I do agree with you that an additional 0.1 or 0.2km buff would be welcome

 

15 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

but Yugumo can easily hold its own in a tier X fight so Hayate should do noticeably better.

Yugumo holds its own thanks to one feature: Excellent 5.5km concealment. Hayate meanwhile gets 6.1km which is completely stupidly bad for a torpedo or hybrid boat.

 

15 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

and on par with Haurgumo mostly because of the 5 twin mount Bofers 40mm's in pack along with a hand full of IJN 25mm's. 

False, Harugumo has significantly better AA. Both the far and near AA auras are TWICE as strong on Harugumo. 

 

15 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

WIth a 2.3 Km air detect range

False, 3.0km. That is even worse than specialized AA DDs like Halland.

 

15 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

The ship is just a tool. it's the driver that makes it good or bad. 

 

No one is arguing against that, but OP asked for input on Småland and Hayate. What would even be the point of that question if every answer would be "your performance is up to you"? Of course it is, but that doesn't negate the fact that Småland is the objectively more unique ship. If you list the differences between Småland and Halland, vs the differences between Hayate and Shimakaze, Småland comes out as the objectively more unique ship. What does Småland offer? A completely unique combination of radar, 2nd highest DD firepower, 30% speedboost, heal and AA. These are FIVE massive tools at the same time, no other ship even comes close to offer such a unique tool set. The ONLY thing that makes Hayate unique is the option to swap smoke for TRB, but that fits the current CV meta very poorly.

The bottom line issue with Hayate is that it's the worst of both worlds. It has neither the torpedo power of Shimakaze, nor the gunpower of Gearing. Gearing has better gun DPM AND torpedo DPM with the 10.5km ones. Add to that better concealment, AA and maneuverability. With your "it's the driver that makes it" argument, a player who can perform well in Hayate will simply perform better in Gearing. Hayate is basically a worse Gearing, end of story. Småland on the other hand offers a playstyle that not a single other ship can replicate.

Also, Småland will be removed from sale soon, so OP should get it while they can.

So not only is your comment riddled with misinformation (so bad that I would remove it if I were you), you're also ignoring the fact that one of them simply offers better value than the other, which is very important when the cost is so high as 2M FXP. Hayate only makes sense for collectors who have too much money or FXP to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
181
[NG-NL]
Members
421 posts
11,012 battles
On 12/15/2020 at 11:29 PM, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Hayate is really nothing more then a Yugumo with faster firing longer ranged guns and 1 more torp per launcher.  Not a real big increase, but Yugumo can easily hold its own in a tier X fight so Hayate should do noticeably better.   It's definitely a torp boat just with much improved guns that also can function as long range AA with a pretty effective punch.... WIth a 2.3 Km air detect range there is potential for slam dunk the first set of aircraft that over fly you if you time it right.

 

23 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

My first thought on Hayate was that she feels a lot like Gearing with minor tradeoffs. Weapon layout is identical. She gets worse maneuverability, but is a little faster. She gets worse stealth, but longer-ranged and more powerful torpedoes. She has better alpha on her guns but slightly slower rate of fire. Overall so far I actually like her more than Smaland. She's very much a generalist at a tier where destroyers tend to be specialists.

This being said, if you like DDs and you have 2M FXP and neither ship, get Smaland before she goes away. Hayate isn't going away any time soon.

Thank you both for sharing your experiences and impressions of Hayate. I have Småland and can explain why I enjoy it. As a DD player with more Free XP than sense, I'm tempted to get Hayate but obviously I cannot describe how it plays.

And yes, the announcement that Småland is being removed from sale is an important factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×