You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Laurpal

Please for gods sake fix the autopilot for the CVs

30 comments in this topic

[1KR]
Members
57 posts
16,738 battles

It has been many many times that I have died while in a cv because the path-finding AI has to go in reverse to make a ridiculous minor course adjustment in order to go forward.  I am more then certian in manual ship steering I would have no problem to go forward. but it seem the just like the idiocy in the auto avoidance  system, it needs to go in reverse to clear any beach by atleast 3 boat. lengths. can that please be reduced otherwise give the cv player to steer while also commanding the aircraft.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,087 posts
4,341 battles

Got to agree. Just a couple days ago got killed because my CV decided it needed to reach a waypoint, stop, reverse, and then turn to go around an island instead of just taking the turn a bit wide. Took too long, and I died. There at least needs to be an option to disable reverse for the autopilot. Or at least teach it how to turn around islands. But clicking and hoping the autopilot doesn't decide to slowly reverse into open water ain't going to work. The only thing wrong with the old pilot was YOU had to make sure you didn't hit an island. Then WG decided their CV players were all morons too dumb to figure it out, and gave us a pilot that only has a 50% chance of driving you out in front of the enemy:Smile_facepalm:

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

[SIMP]
Members
1,670 posts

Yep. So tired of CVs simply coming to a stop 2km away from an island, backing up, going forward again only to see the island is still 2km away, stopping and backing up again...etc.

When I plot a course, I want the CV to follow it! If I plot a course too close to an island - the ai shouldn't confirm this as a good course. Not just stop arbitrarily well outside any possible collision distance and idiotically go in reverse.

• Cool 1

Members
599 posts
17,631 battles

I can deal with that idiocy. I hate when I plot a course to turn yet the CV continues straight. It's been 2-3 releases now? Rare, but shows up a few times a week. Only fix is to recall planes, manually change rudder, replot course.

Members
512 posts
15,408 battles
2 hours ago, Laurpal said:

It has been many many times that I have died while in a cv because the path-finding AI has to go in reverse to make a ridiculous minor course adjustment in order to go forward.  I am more then certian in manual ship steering I would have no problem to go forward. but it seem the just like the idiocy in the auto avoidance  system, it needs to go in reverse to clear any beach by atleast 3 boat. lengths. can that please be reduced otherwise give the cv player to steer while also commanding the aircraft.

I have noticed it allot in ops, my cv goes forward and doesn't turn etc

[WHS]
SuperTest Coordinator
690 posts
5,651 battles
2 hours ago, Laurpal said:

I totally agree that auto pilot is some what broken. It was not fun when my CV was not listening to my commands when i was in Ranked

2121606242_Supertester.gif.38f8425674601e5e5d8afdc5c6c10ae3.gif

869597520_wowsnumbers.png.12cdecbbb9e5163e05c76a1f8044cba4.png

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

It is not some what broken, it IS BROKEN. Borked. Farped. Prastilated. Indeed, it needs some serious work. 

Some of us were saying a couple release back it was almost good - then they did something and truly borked it. In fact, in ranked I had my carrier pointing south, plotted a path due south and less than a minute later I'm going in reverse, on the other side of the island. 

Totally frakin' borked. 

AND! When you go in to fix it, for the love of everything, anything good in this game, PLEASE put the CTRL + LMB click on the minimap BACK INTO THE GAME.

Every chance this subject (autopilot) comes up I'm gonna ask and ask and ask. It makes absolutely no sense not to put it back. My gawd it was there nearly from the beginning of the old carrier system. 

I am so SICK of having to M map, plot course, M or Esc to get back. If the devs can't see how friggin' dorky that is, I feels for them. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Hey Herr_Reitz, why don't you tell us how you really feel? :cap_haloween:

I'm on a 30 second delay clock here... new posts within a short time frame are limited. :cap_haloween:

[SIMP]
Members
1,670 posts
On 8/1/2020 at 9:11 PM, Sinboto said:

This captain knows what's up, super frustrating. 

You know the reason behind the broken pathing? Do tell please, is it something we can work around until it is properly fixed?

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,654 posts
8,132 battles
3 hours ago, capncrunch21 said:

You know the reason behind the broken pathing? Do tell please, is it something we can work around until it is properly fixed?

As far as I'm aware it's a combination of coding issues, the autopilot freaking out around islands/borders and the carriers' mobility in general. Causing it to use small course corrections and adjusting the boiler power thus needlessly bleeding speed. If you're ever in a lul in a match, in a surface ship, maybe the last ship is on the other side of the map or something I recommend trying to use it and watching from third person. You'll see exactly what I mean. 

There's likely more to it but that's what I'm aware of at the moment.

As for fixes, the only thing we've found helps is turning on the collision avoidance system, yes that one, which comes with it's own slew of issues for surface ships.

[YORHA]
Members
5,361 posts
10,521 battles

Autopilot,  island magnet bug,  de-sync bug, seeing smoke in bino view, island marker not showing up until after you shoot...

4abk1w.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,602 posts
23,061 battles

This applies to all ships. I was used to set auto pilot and the focus on the minimap, or start watching what my teammates do.

The were a lot of times where my ship goes anywhere but the waypoint because the AI is dumb enough not to slow down while it's rumb crosses a friendly and began following side by side  it unable to get ahead or behind it.

Or when you set up a waypoint straight ahead, the first thing the AI does is slow down to 1/2 and then accelerate again...

[D33P6]
Members
572 posts
29 minutes ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

when you set up a waypoint straight ahead, the first thing the AI does is slow down to 1/2 and then accelerate again...

My biggest issue while playing CV.

I really get frustrated when it makes a turn and it seems to bleed over half its speed.  It's not even a sharp turn.

[SIMP]
Members
1,670 posts
19 hours ago, JCC45 said:

Autopilot,  island magnet bug,  de-sync bug, seeing smoke in bino view, island marker not showing up until after you shoot...

4abk1w.jpg

Yep.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,045 posts
51,931 battles
On 8/3/2020 at 1:24 PM, Sinboto said:

As far as I'm aware it's a combination of coding issues, the autopilot freaking out around islands/borders and the carriers' mobility in general. Causing it to use small course corrections and adjusting the boiler power thus needlessly bleeding speed. If you're ever in a lul in a match, in a surface ship, maybe the last ship is on the other side of the map or something I recommend trying to use it and watching from third person. You'll see exactly what I mean. 

There's likely more to it but that's what I'm aware of at the moment.

As for fixes, the only thing we've found helps is turning on the collision avoidance system, yes that one, which comes with it's own slew of issues for surface ships.

Then explain these screenshots.  Trying to plot a course to the front.  No islands in between.

shot-20.08.07_16.56.26-0185.jpg

shot-20.08.07_17.06.04-0560.jpg

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,654 posts
8,132 battles

@Patton5150 First off, please put your screenshots in a spoiler, it makes them take up far less space.  Secondly I have no fathomable idea, autopilot is broken, stuff like that happens sometimes and I frankly have no concrete reasons as to why nor have the devs chosen to explain it. The CV would sometimes move backwards instead of turning in previous patches so perhaps it's an issue from that but who knows. 

There's also the old boilers turning off gag, which has gotten me killed a few times.

TLDR: Broken autopilot is broken.

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,135 posts
14,537 battles

Yeah, I have complained about this so many times since the rework last year and they still haven't really fixed it.

[WPORT]
Members
9,778 posts
14,310 battles
10 hours ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Play a real ship that you actually have to control and your problem is solved.

In RTS CV days, we did that with our CV's.

Then the re-work botched our ability to have planes in the air while we could select and maneuver the ship at the same time.

The autopilot was "fixed" about a year to a year and a half, ago.  It was improved, but still not 100% to our liking. 
But, at least we were less likely to find ourselves beached on an island or shoreline for no apparent reason.

Now, with recent updates (09.5 & 09.6), the skittish behavior of the cowardly and 'without-gonads' autopilot has become more apparent. 
This is especially apparent when near islands or map borders.

When I order "Full Speed Ahead!", I expect that the ship's throttle will stay wide-open!  
I can understand hydro-dynamics causing some speed to be lost during a turn.  But never should I hear the bells which indicate the ship went to "1/2 Ahead" or, even worse, to "Full Reverse".

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
Edited to add a scene from an Austin Powers movie

[P-V-E]
Members
1,658 posts

Cant say I notice much of a problem, but I don't lean on the AP like some, and if I need a more complex AP route I will just add multiple WP instead of being lazy and expecting too much.

[WPORT]
Members
9,778 posts
14,310 battles
2 minutes ago, Wicked_Little_Witch said:

Something about adapting is what i often hear from CV players

Fair enough.  :-)

CV players have been doing so.  It is simply that many still feel that the autopilot is failing to meet even the most rudimentary expectations.
Carefully plotted multi-waypoint courses still get <bleeped>-up by the autopilot.

[X-PN]
Members
323 posts
15,848 battles
On 8/2/2020 at 11:34 AM, Laurpal said:

Personally I hope the autopilot  drags every CV in the game into the center of the map and the entire enemy team takes turns doing you over. Would be a small amount of pay back for all the griefing CV's have caused everyone else.

• Cool 1