Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ItsSubmersible

Rhein DB bombers

11 comments in this topic

Members
713 posts

Is it just me or are the DB's almost impossible to use? The aiming recticle is pretty much non existent! It is so dim against the background I just thought it didn't have one at 1st. Not great at cv's to start with, no reason to make it harder!

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,164 battles
23 minutes ago, ItsSubmersible said:

Is it just me or are the DB's almost impossible to use? The aiming recticle is pretty much non existent! It is so dim against the background I just thought it didn't have one at 1st. Not great at cv's to start with, no reason to make it harder!

They are just different.

I find these DBs EASIER to hit with since you dont have to do as much lead to START the attack.

Keep practicing...I think those DBs are the bread and butter of the line.

Use them against battleships. Attack from the bow or the stern. Commence attack when the reticle is just ahead of the point you want to hit...practice the release point timing so that the bombs hit the citadel area of the battleship.

You will overpen most cruisers...so use AP rockets on those...

...use the TBs for the enemy DDs and cruisers.

[RLGN]
Members
16,178 posts
28,072 battles
48 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

They are just different.

I find these DBs EASIER to hit with since you dont have to do as much lead to START the attack.

Keep practicing...I think those DBs are the bread and butter of the line.

Use them against battleships. Attack from the bow or the stern. Commence attack when the reticle is just ahead of the point you want to hit...practice the release point timing so that the bombs hit the citadel area of the battleship.

You will overpen most cruisers...so use AP rockets on those...

...use the TBs for the enemy DDs and cruisers.

Pretty much...

’God this sucks.’

-Me.

(2-3 games later...)

’ It still sucks, but at least I see how it works now.’

-Me, MkII.

And I’ll still probably stick with the torpies because I can’t dodge AA worth spit, despite several folks graciously trying to explain how, and I just plain hate the dive bomber UI.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
713 posts

Torps & rockets, no problem. That aiming circle is just DIM and extremely hard to see for the DB's. I have no issues with IJN, USN or GrafZee DB's, I can see the aiming point just fine. Might need to play with graphics settings to see if I can get it brighter or something.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,164 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Pretty much...

’God this sucks.’

-Me.

(2-3 games later...)

’ It still sucks, but at least I see how it works now.’

-Me, MkII.

And I’ll still probably stick with the torpies because I can’t dodge AA worth spit, despite several folks graciously trying to explain how, and I just plain hate the dive bomber UI.

Dodging flak is like playing 'Dance / Dance Revolution'...you've got to get the timing and rhythm of the turns / boosts right. Once you figure it out it will become second nature....and you will be surprised when you catch a flak burst.

Also, the Rhein DBs are really poor at making the turns...because you have to use the A and D keys to turn sufficiently to get the flak to miss...but using those turns the planes so sharply that you make little progress towards your hoped for drop point. It's the terrible handling of these planes that makes it problematic.

49 minutes ago, ItsSubmersible said:

Torps & rockets, no problem. That aiming circle is just DIM and extremely hard to see for the DB's. I have no issues with IJN, USN or GrafZee DB's, I can see the aiming point just fine. Might need to play with graphics settings to see if I can get it brighter or something.

Funny. I have no problem seeing the reticle for the DBs (I zoom out a bit so I can see both ahead and the reticle). I have serious problems seeing the AP rocket reticle against the surface glare of the sea.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark

[RLGN]
Members
16,178 posts
28,072 battles
17 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Dodging flak is like playing 'Dance / Dance Revolution'...you've got to get the timing and rhythm of the turns / boosts right. Once you figure it out it will become second nature....and you will be surprised when you catch a flak burst.

Which I was never any good at...

Also, the Rhein DBs are really poor at making the turns...because you have to use the A and D keys to turn sufficiently to get the flak to miss...but using those turns the planes so sharply that you make little progress towards your hoped for drop point. It's the terrible handling of these planes that makes it problematic.

Like I’ve said before; gotta love those SNES level controls...

Funny. I have no problem seeing the reticle for the DBs (I zoom out a bit so I can see both ahead and the reticle). I have serious problems seeing the AP rocket reticle against the surface glare of the sea.

Plus it isn’t where you expect it to be...

That was a huge problem for me before I even realized how hard it was to see.

[WOLF7]
Members
898 posts

Zoom all the way out when using Rhein dive bombers. Then, shift camera view so that you are looking almost straight down on the planes from above. Drive the reticle on to your target, drop bombs, collect citadel ribbons, profit.

Members
2,125 posts
7,630 battles
2 hours ago, HamAndCheez said:

Zoom all the way out when using Rhein dive bombers. Then, shift camera view so that you are looking almost straight down on the planes from above. Drive the reticle on to your target, drop bombs, collect citadel ribbons, profit.

So....kind of like if you were playing a "top-down" RTS strategy game then.  :Smile_trollface:

I can actually use the bomber planes ok.  My problem is the AP rocket planes.  I can barely see the firing reticle when I am making the attack run.  It is a pain in the butt.  I hope some intrepid modder out there changes the color or the intensity so I can actually see where I am firing the darned things.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,850 posts
25,977 battles

I mean, f---, I wish Von Parseval's dive bombers were as accurate as Rhein's.  I'm tired of getting trolled by AVP's bombers.

Members
713 posts
3 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

So....kind of like if you were playing a "top-down" RTS strategy game then.  :Smile_trollface:

I can actually use the bomber planes ok.  My problem is the AP rocket planes.  I can barely see the firing reticle when I am making the attack run.  It is a pain in the butt.  I hope some intrepid modder out there changes the color or the intensity so I can actually see where I am firing the darned things.

I seem to have the opposite issue. I can see the rocket reticle just fine, the db is the one I can barely see. I have been testing in trng room so have a pretty good idea where it should be regardless of if I see it or not. I can make it work, just wish it was dayglo orange.

Sign in to follow this