You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Marines

Which Tier 9 cruiser will be the strongest in a hypothetical Tier 9 CB season?

Which Tier 9 cruiser will be the strongest in a hypothetical Tier 9 CB season?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tier 9 cruiser will be the strongest in a Tier 9 Clan Battle season?

• Buffalo
    • Seattle
    • Ibuki
    • Neptune
    • Roon
    • Dmitri Donskoi
    • Saint-Louis
    • Azuma
    • Brindisi
    • Riga
    • Ägir
    • Drake
    • Alaska
    • Kronshtadt
    • Siegfried
    • Tier 9 cruisers are disgustingly out of balans. I don't think WG will ever give us a Tier 9 CB season

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 08/03/2021 at 04:44 AM

14 comments in this topic

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,309 posts
12,949 battles

I voted Siegfried. Her 25mm overmatch, and 90mm side plating makes her the most durable and dangerous heavy cruiser in her spread. She remains the only super cruiser with literal contemporary BB caliber (380mm) guns and the ability to reliably citadel any none turtleback BB and cruiser in the season.

Siegfried also has torpedoes on top German hydro. With such characteristics, Siegfried is in a world of her own. If Alaska is a Super Cruiser, Siegfried is an incarnated Battle Cruiser.

• Cool 2

[PRVTR]
Members
1,137 posts
6,298 battles

I vote Neptune.

Neptune may be a big pile-o-squish, but it has utility, versatility, and most importantly, survivability thanks to her superheal. 

A radar Neptune in combination with something like a Fletcher could prove to be a very dangerous combination. 

-Shrayes

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,309 posts
12,949 battles
2 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

radar Neptune in combination with something like a Fletcher could prove to be a very dangerous combination. 

Or a Siegfried/Alaska wet dream. :Smile_hiding:

[PRVTR]
Members
1,137 posts
6,298 battles
13 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Possibly.

Then again, I could just substitute the Fletcher for an Udaloi and the Neptune for a Kronshtadt and they'd both be in the crap:Smile_trollface:

-Shrayes

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,309 posts
12,949 battles
26 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Possibly.

Then again, I could just substitute the Fletcher for an Udaloi and the Neptune for a Kronshtadt and they'd both be in the crap:Smile_trollface:

-Shrayes

Not really, not even close.  The Udaloi may be one thing to Alaska due to the later's shell velocity; but to Siegfried and her higher shell velocity and small HE immune plating, Udaloi woukd be costing his team time.

Meanwhile, in an Alaska vs Kronstadt fight, Kronstadt's very erratic gunnery and no improved penetration angles puts her at a severe disadvantage against an Alaska regardless the ammunition used. Alaska's reliability in gunnery speaks volumes here.

However, when Siegfried comes to Kronstadt, the later hasn't a chance. Id Kronstadt tries to kite or bow tank, Siegfried will just punch through Kronstadt's aft or nose all day with little lead required. And if Kronstadt tries to close,  Siegfried not only has fantastic AP penetration and 25mm overmatch but torpedoes as well. 

Very few ships besides Belfast have so many advantages stacked in her favor. If Siegfried had the 90mm icebreaker bow her offficial designs called for, Siegfried would be a BB replacement at t9.

Edited by Crokodone
  • Cool 1

[PRVTR]
Members
1,137 posts
6,298 battles
23 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Not really, not even close.  The Udaloi may be one thing to Alaska due to the later's shell velocity; but to Siegfried and her higher shell velocity and small HE immune plating, Udaloi woukd be costing his team time.

Meanwhile, in an Alaska vs Kronstadt fight, Kronstadt's very eracyic gunnery and no improved penetration angles puts her at a severe disadvantage against an Alaska regardless the ammunition used. Alaska's reliability in gunnery speaks volumes here.

However, when Siegfried comes to Kronstadt, the later hasn't a chance. Id Kronstadt tries to kite or bow tank, Siegfried will just punch through Kronstadt's aft or nose all day with little lead required. And if Kronstadt tries to close Siegfried not only has fantastic AP penetration and 25mm overmatch but torpedoes as well. 

Very few ships besides Belfast have so many advantages stacked in her favor. If Siegfried had the 90mm icebreaker bow her offficial designs called for, Siegfried would be a BB replacement at t9.

Hmm

I guess the only way to defeat the Siegfried / Alaska combo is to bring in the big guns. Or rather, something they cannot hit reliably at range. Mogador and Tashkent come to mind here. Mogador is capable of 54.5 knots of speed with a maximum of 15.3km of range with AFT, while Tashkent has a relatively high rate of fire and a 15.2km maximum range with AFT. Provided both of them can juke efficiently and trade with HE spam and AP on the broadside, they should be capable of defeating these two easily.

-Shrayes

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,418 battles

Siegfried and Alaska, and it's not even close. 

Siegfried has the accuracy and AP to delete cruisers at any range, and with her hydro, secondaries, and accuracy she is a solid anti-DD ship as well. She's  got BB guns and cruiser accuracy, although she can't tank like a BB. She's got a bit of a skill floor to get the most out of her; I' had a rough start because I tried to be too aggressive my first few games. I've found her to be a lot like a cruiser version of JB and Bourgogne (without the speed boost flexibility, but as far as positioning and gunnery); play her like a lancer.  Hang back early and whittle down targets of opportunity, but don't be afraid to brawl if you know when to pick your spots, especially mid to late game. The only caveat is you have to be even more careful when closing to brawl because you can't use your speed to get in and out of a bad spot as effectively. So Siegfried rewards map awareness; she's OP in the hands of an experienced player. I'm no unicum, but I've played long enough to have really good map awareness and instincts, so she makes me look better than I am now that I'm adjusting to her playstyle. She's going to be a monster in t9 competitive. 

Alaska will be the top radar cruiser; she's got the gunnery to handle any opponent, is tanky, plus long-duration radar. In ranked with tighter maps, the longer duration radars seem more valuable than longer range, although I don't usually play radar cruisers in ranked (but I do play DD a lot in ranked, and the long-duration radars worry me much more than the Russian ones, esp since only the radar ship can see me for the first few seconds)

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,418 battles
4 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Hmm

I guess the only way to defeat the Siegfried / Alaska combo is to bring in the big guns. Or rather, something they cannot hit reliably at range. Mogador and Tashkent come to mind here. Mogador is capable of 54.5 knots of speed with a maximum of 15.3km of range with AFT, while Tashkent has a relatively high rate of fire and a 15.2km maximum range with AFT. Provided both of them can juke efficiently and trade with HE spam and AP on the broadside, they should be capable of defeating these two easily.

-Shrayes

Siegfried will be fine against either of those at range. Her guns are so accurate that I regularly nail DDs out that far and I'm not even particularly good. I punished a Kleber hard with Siegfried just yesterday at 13km,  although my team had melted and I got focused down before I could finish him. But two salvoes knocked his hp down enough I would have either finished him or damn close with my next salvo. 

[SYN]
Members
9,027 posts
16,270 battles

Honestly perplexed that anyone wouldn't pick Alaska. 

Most OP TO. Good gunnery and autobounce angles, retains radar and ok HE, lots of HP, very low citadel. Seems a no brainer. 

[PRVTR]
Members
1,137 posts
6,298 battles
58 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

Siegfried will be fine against either of those at range. Her guns are so accurate that I regularly nail DDs out that far and I'm not even particularly good. I punished a Kleber hard with Siegfried just yesterday at 13km,  although my team had melted and I got focused down before I could finish him. But two salvoes knocked his hp down enough I would have either finished him or damn close with my next salvo. 

Welp, I guess that's what happens when you combine German 15-inch guns with cruiser accuracy. 

What do you think will do good in CBs?

-Shrayes

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,418 battles
33 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Welp, I guess that's what happens when you combine German 15-inch guns with cruiser accuracy. 

What do you think will do good in CBs?

-Shrayes

I think Alaska and Siegfried will be the two top picks. I'd likely pick Siegfried unless told to bring a radar ship because she fits my playstyle better, but it'd be hard to argue against Alaska as the 'best' option for the meta. Then again, I rarely play cruiser in CB or ranked as it's my weakest class (I tend to run gunboat DDs or brawler/lancer BBs), and I'm in a more casual clan so not accustomed to high-level CB play. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt. 

• Cool 2

[MR-1]
[MR-1]
Members
186 posts
15,327 battles
On 8/1/2020 at 9:12 PM, Crokodone said:

I would say both conditions could be true depending on each players individual skill levels.

Members
1,008 posts
6,589 battles

I have bought a USS Alaska according to the current result of this vote. I find the battlecruiser extremely high-aggro: whenever I'm detected, the enemies like to focus on me.

This forces me to position carefully in the opening and midgame, and I struggled to reach a 80k damage/match goal that I want. However, I find the her very satisfying to play and provides a unique experience.

In long-range standoffs, she is more versatile than Brindisi, being able to both bow-tank and aft tank, as well as being able to both spam HE (most cases) and AP (against broadsided cruisers). Heavily armored battleships like the GK can be irritating as my AP can't pen him at long range, forcing me to use HE.

In brawling situations, I find her rather tanky if steeply angled. I have great confidence with her Slava-like reliable guns and think I can win a brawl against any cruisers other than the Siegfried.

Overall, for me, USS Alaska is satisfying to play and to farm win rate. (Not sure if a team of Alaskas can beat a team Siegfrieds in Clan Battles though.)

ak.thumb.png.2817377d87e5321d8e97c626c79b320f.png

Edited by _Marines