You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
aPieface

F.D. Roosevelt Over-Powered planes?

54 comments in this topic

[CAAT]
Members
11 posts
12,173 battles

FDR planes seem over-armored and over-powered. I have played 8k CV games, and this is the first time I have complained about planes!  It makes my other T10 CV's feel like Tiere 6!

The planes fly through the enemy fleet losing straight to the CV and easily destroy it, before moving on to destroy 5 more ships! And still loses no planes.

Please fix it lol

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 3

0 posts

If X hurts me then it must be overpowered. Nevermind the mistakes I made that caused it to happen. Please nerf it

• Cool 6
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 7

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
12 minutes ago, gbgentry said:

Yeah, they also have, like, 10 planes total and have to wait an hour between attacks...

Still game changing if you know exactly which ships to hit to ensure victory. Like imagine if a FDR player using stat checking mods sees 1 or 2 Unicom players in vulnerable ships takes out those 2 and the rest of their team if they are are low skill players, will likely be unable to carry the battle.

Or if you take out the enemy Radar early on leaving only the Radar on your team in the match. The list goes on, but being able to make it through and target specific ships highly effectively is likely a problem.

I have always been a little paranoid over aircraft, so I almost always pack in some AA buffs into my ships. And FDR Rockets were able to make it through highly reinforced AA on my Hindenburg plus support AA from allies and do massive damage in each wave that got me sunk.

And FDR has already started influencing some of my game decisions such as getting Shikishima instead of Bourgogne because I deemed the latter to be potentially far more vulnerable to FDR Rockets to the point of possibly taking citadels.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles

Remember that it is a work in progress but as @gbgentry pointed out she has very few planes so any losses are bad.

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,664 battles

She has VERY tanky planes combined with a decent squad size but, from what I can tell, bugger all Hanger space and absolutely horrendous plane regen. She's basically more like a classic RTS CV in that she hits hard and then spends forever getting to her next target...I mean it's not close, she still cycles more per run but still...

As to whether that's OP or not, I'm not sure.

• Cool 2

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
36 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Remember that it is a work in progress but as @gbgentry pointed out she has very few planes so any losses are bad.

But having very few planes is no problem when you can get your plans pounded on hard for long durations with little to no planes lose.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

But having very few planes is no problem when you can get your plans pounded on hard for long durations with little to no planes lose.

True which is why it is still in testing.

• Cool 1

[D33P6]
Members
572 posts
2 hours ago, aPieface said:

The planes fly through the enemy fleet losing straight to the CV and easily destroy it, before moving on to destroy 5 more ships! And still loses no planes.

Replay or it didn't happen.  The statement alone is the definition of hyperbole.

Of the few matches I played against an FDR.  I do think some changes will be needed for the CV.  The large squadrons and large HP of the aircraft means that ships AA have to burn through a lot of health before destroying them or forcing the CV player to return them.  You can also add some really large payload's for such a small attacking wing of aircraft from the squadron.

The speed of the aircraft isn't that much slower than the Midways.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,997 posts
13,158 battles

with over 3K HP per plane, youll be lucky to get 2 shot down before it runs out of attack runs on you

[SGSS]
Members
6,220 posts
19 hours ago, aPieface said:

FDR planes seem over-armored and over-powered. I have played 8k CV games, and this is the first time I have complained about planes!  It makes my other T10 CV's feel like Tiere 6!

Please fix it lol

There T4 speed.  30 sec between launch.  Low amount of.planes.

Torps are painfully slow and a terrible spread.

I have seen 4 fdr and all 4 games were lost so wait till it comes out.

Edited by jags_domain
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,430 posts
12,797 battles
23 hours ago, aPieface said:

Please fix it lol

I was just in a game against one, it blasted 20k health off of my Midway in 1 rocket attack. That was a shock. 

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,664 battles
14 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I was just in a game against one, it blasted 20k health off of my Midway in 1 rocket attack. That was a shock. 

Yeah be warned, the FDR has the hardest hitting rocket salvo of ANY CV and standard Midway HVAR aiming reticle.

How hard does it hit?

Standard midway attack is 30 rockets, the Audacious is 48, the FDR is 60 rockets...yes you read that correctly 60 in one salvo, literally twice the power of the Midway in the same aiming circle, aka mass target saturation with 33mm of pen..which is more than most heavy cruiser deck armor (Ruskies not withstanding) and god forbid you come up against one in a 32mm all over RN or French BB where they can get more rockets on target.

Yes the planes are slow so they spend more time in AA, hence the higher HP but working things out through the ship fitting tool with Survivabilty expert, the +hp module at tier 9 and 10 AND the +HP to rocket planes, the have 3.9k health EACH, that is 1.9k more than a Midway attack aircraft.

[D33P6]
Members
572 posts
11 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Yeah be warned, the FDR has the hardest hitting rocket salvo of ANY CV and standard Midway HVAR aiming reticle.

How hard does it hit?

Standard midway attack is 30 rockets, the Audacious is 48, the FDR is 60 rockets...yes you read that correctly 60 in one salvo, literally twice the power of the Midway in the same aiming circle, aka mass target saturation with 33mm of pen..which is more than most heavy cruiser deck armor (Ruskies not withstanding) and god forbid you come up against one in a 32mm all over RN or French BB where they can get more rockets on target.

Yes the planes are slow so they spend more time in AA, hence the higher HP but working things out through the ship fitting tool with Survivabilty expert, the +hp module at tier 9 and 10 AND the +HP to rocket planes, the have 3.9k health EACH, that is 1.9k more than a Midway attack aircraft.

I think that's with just two attacking aircraft out of the squadron.  So, 30 rockets per plane.  In my opinion this is ridiculous and over-powered considering the size of the squadrons.  Even if they gave it a sizable, large aiming reticle you will still land an abundant number of hits on smaller ships.  You would need to say a prayer to larger ships.

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,664 battles
1 minute ago, HeadSplit120 said:

I think that's with just two attacking aircraft out of the squadron.  So, 30 rockets per plane.  In my opinion this is ridiculous and over-powered considering the size of the squadrons.  Even if they gave it a sizable, large aiming reticle you will still land an abundant number of hits on smaller ships.  You would need to say a prayer to larger ships.

The thing with the FDR is that it also has very limited hanger space and plane regen that is just...well..I think it's 5 minutes PER PLANE.

So think of it as closer to the older RTS model, it hits VERY hard but if the person using it is foolish you could see it effectively deplaned very quickly, even with the massive HP pool.

HOWEVER that isn't to say I think it's balanced, I can just see why Wargaming made their choices, not entirely sure I agree with them.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
23 hours ago, aPieface said:

Please fix it lol

Do FDR has plne regen?

I have the same feeling the ship isnt ready to come live.

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,664 battles
5 minutes ago, Felipe_1982 said:

Do FDR has plne regen?

I have the same feeling the ship isnt ready to come live.

all CVs have plane Regen, however from talks, the plane regen on the FDR is very, very slow. Glacial in fact, over a 20 minute period it would regen something like 4-6 planes total and I've been told it has very limited hanger space.

One of the things that makes the Enterprise so OP is that it has a large hanger space AND quick plane regen, meaning it shrugs off losses like nothing.

Unlike the Ark Royal which also gets fast plane regen, it's not using aircraft 2 tiers lower. At worst the Enterprise has tier 7.5 planes, they're very slightly worse in speed and hp than a tier 8 plane...but not really enough to justify the vastly quicker plane regen than say a Lexington or a Shokaku.

Edited by Yandere_Roon

[WOLF3]
Members
30,951 posts
26,039 battles

FDR is built around those Attack Planes.  Everything else about her air groups doesn't look that exceptional.  Slower but more durable planes but they do drop more ordnance.  But the 60 HVAR rocket attack just jumps out statistically.

FDR and a HVAR-fitted Midway for comparison.

Another amusing thing are the attack flight sizes:  2 max for any of the aircraft units.  They drop lots of ordnance per plane though. 

2 attack planes, 30 rockets:  60 rockets max (Same HVAR rockets)

2 torp bombers, 4 torps each:  8 torps max (Midway's torps are stronger but at 6 max torps)

2 DBs max, 4 bombs each:  8 bombs max (Midway drops 6 max;  Bombs are the same)

Just theorizing here: It looks like any attrition they suffer strips a lot of power on the attack run, but will still be equivalent to a Midway that's lost 1 bomber on a run.  FDR is simply staggering in rocket attacks.

A Midway rocket attack flight is 3 planes, 30 rockets max.  You lose 1 plane you can still get off 20 rockets.

FDR, 2 planes, staggering 60 max rockets.  Lose 1 you still get 30 rockets, which is a sh*t-ton.

A Midway TB, DB attack is 3 planes max, 2 bombs or torps each.  You lose a plane you still get off 4 bombs or torps.

FDR, 2 planes, 4 bombs or torps each.  Lose 1 bomber and you're still getting off 4 bombs or torps.

Aircraft Restoration Times are real long compared to Midway.

FDR / Midway

Attack Planes 114 seconds / 82

HE Bombers 131 seconds / 76

Torp Bombers 141 seconds / 99

Break out the beer while the planes get turned around!

The Skypirate looks massive and was supposed to carry way more ordnance than the already large TBF Avenger.  The TBF Avenger and SB2C Helldiver could carry up to 2000 lbs of ordnance, the Skypirate up to 8400 lbs.

It never entered service.

Douglas_XTB2D-1_landing_c1945.jpg

The guy that designed that thing went on to do the Skyraider, among a bunch of other things that you guys may recognize.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SGSS]
Members
6,220 posts
On 8/1/2020 at 4:11 PM, aPieface said:

Wow sunk 6 ships in one run. Wow that is by far the biggest lie yet about CV.

The worst one before yours was a NC claimed 1 sq of Ranger torpor planes blew up a full health NC.

[F4E]
Alpha Tester
1,145 posts
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

The worst one before yours was a NC claimed 1 sq of Ranger torpor planes blew up a full health NC.

I’ve actually seen something similar to this but it requires basically a perfect RNG roll resulting from the likely sacrificing of a live chicken.

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
679 posts
13,135 battles
On 8/1/2020 at 1:11 PM, aPieface said:

Please fix it lol

So far I have had the luck in playing my cv a few times against them. And I do Remer winning ever match against them.  They have slow planes and being aggressive with fighter drops on the target they want hurts there travel time to the next target. I have also played my ca/dd agiest them and darn to here rockets hurt.  To me they don't seem op. There high damage is a trade off for there slow tanky planes

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,664 battles
6 hours ago, DeadIyArT said:

So far I have had the luck in playing my cv a few times against them. And I do Remer winning ever match against them.  They have slow planes and being aggressive with fighter drops on the target they want hurts there travel time to the next target. I have also played my ca/dd agiest them and darn to here rockets hurt.  To me they don't seem op. There high damage is a trade off for there slow tanky planes

It seems like smart fighter usage MAY actually be useful for once against an FDR.

Firstly, they're slow, which means they might actually spend long enough in a fighter bubble that the fighter stops wandering about looking at all the pretty ships below it and actually locks on to the squadron.

Secondly, Fighters don't care about HP, they care about number of planes. A Fighter squadron of 5 wont disengage until it has shot down 5 planes.

Thirdly, as you mentioned, putting fighters over the obvious targets means they then either got to burn a fighter consumable themselves to lure out fighter and spend time slowly circling or they've got to slowly wander off to find an easier but less valuable target.

With its limited hanger size and slow regen rate, fighter losses may actually substantially hurt the FDR more than other carriers. Basically like the Saipan, if your fighters wipe out a Saipan squadron...she isn't just going to shrug it off.

[REVY]
Members
2,837 posts
15,075 battles
On 8/1/2020 at 4:11 PM, aPieface said:

Please fix it lol

On 8/1/2020 at 6:57 PM, HeadSplit120 said:

Replay or it didn't happen.  The statement alone is the definition of hyperbole.

8 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Wow sunk 6 ships in one run. Wow that is by far the biggest lie yet about CV.

I agree with them OP.

You can't make a claim without some Replay Evidence. And as Replays are on by default, you should have no issue recovering that battle unless you have played 30+ battles since.

If you can't produce evidence, your claim is a complete lie and invalid.