You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Xtrythis_1

Best ship for resources right now?

23 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Members
8 posts
2,478 battles

So I've finally got enough coal to get a ship from the armory... I missed the boat on the Smol among others. Currently nothing really grabs my attention. I usually play bb's and occasionally ca's, no dd's for me. Would y'all wait for something new to come along or just meh buy a Yoshino or Thunderer and live with it? Thanks for your input! 

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
634 posts
4,435 battles

Georgia or Thunderer, but if you aren't interested in either you can wait. I hear the next coal ship will be a high tier German BB.

[DOTM]
Members
8 posts
2,478 battles
1 minute ago, PotatoMD said:

Georgia or Thunderer, but if you aren't interested in either you can wait. I hear the next coal ship will be a high tier German BB.

Hmmmm. Any time frame when this german bb is happening?? I do like the sound of that...

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
634 posts
4,435 battles
1 minute ago, Xtrythis_1 said:

Hmmmm. Any time frame when this german bb is happening?? I do like the sound of that...

I thought the new ship would be this:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/18

But I'm not 100% sure. It's been in testing for a while, so soon-ish?

Oh, it's also called "Pommern" now.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,719 posts
19,667 battles
21 minutes ago, Xtrythis_1 said:

So I've finally got enough coal to get a ship from the armory... I missed the boat on the Smol among others. Currently nothing really grabs my attention. I usually play bb's and occasionally ca's, no dd's for me. Would y'all wait for something new to come along or just meh buy a Yoshino or Thunderer and live with it? Thanks for your input! 

Thunderer....

Accurate sniper....

Huge HE salvos....

AP to brutalize broadsides...

[FML]
Members
3,740 posts
14,872 battles
24 minutes ago, Xtrythis_1 said:

If you like battleships, you should pick up the Georgia - I've really enjoyed her.  

Thunderer is also a solid choice - bit of a glass cannon so dont overreach early on. 

[WOLFC]
Members
2,679 posts
8 hours ago, Xtrythis_1 said:

... I usually play bb's and occasionally ca's, no dd's for me. ...

On the cruiser side, the Flint should be returning in about 3 months for coal ... it's been power crept some but is still fun.

... just an fyi, sounds like you might prefer a BB, in which case I'd go with Georgia ... that thing scares me more than Yamato!

[WOLF9]
Members
302 posts
7,762 battles
8 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

If you like battleships, you should pick up the Georgia - I've really enjoyed her.  

Thunderer is also a solid choice - bit of a glass cannon so dont overreach early on. 

This.  Georgia is definitely a different play style with it's speed!

[OIL-1]
Members
954 posts

Thunderer and Yoshino are both great ships for me.
Thunderer has the most potential for being removed from the game, and if you're a BB main, get that one first.

Georgia may be a 9.5 but that still isn't a 10. Thunderer is a 10.
Just reached enough coal for the Georgia, the last resource ship of interest to me, but I already have the Musashi,
which rarely gets used, so I'm waiting for final currency on FDR.

[PISD]
Members
20 posts
1,038 battles

Thunderer is hands down “best” ship for coal right now.  Georgia is “most fun” ship for coal right now.  If you like BB’s you can’t go wrong with either, really. I prefer to get Tier X ships with my resources but that just my preference.  

“Best” and “Most fun” are subjective and for the most part echo the sentiments of this forum.  

Personally I chose the Marceau over the Thunderer. I love the Marceau and think it’s a blast, Thunderer will be my next more than likely.  People always talk about how great the HE is, and it really is.  But it’s AP is devastating. 

Edited by Jcubx

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,815 posts
4,613 battles

Until they remove her, Salem.  That firepower!  Those Specialized Repair Teams (Brit heal)!

• Cool 1

Members
596 posts
5,440 battles

Thunderer gets my vote.  I feel dirty driving that ship sometimes, its so easy to rack up big damage numbers.  The HE is nasty, but the AP will absolutely ruin people's day.  The best part is that a lot of players don't seem to expect you to load AP and will show you their side, thinking they will get away with maybe a fire or two.  When that AP hits for multiple citadels...  glorious.  I have Georgia as well, and while she can be fun I have not had the consistency with her that I get from Thunderer. 

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,433 posts
6,255 battles

pommern might be trash,thunderer,georgia and flint(if she comes) are better deals.

[UN1]
Members
1,065 posts
3,396 battles

Thunderer is a monster.  It's also very easy to play.

Georgia is also fantastic, but is going to be more difficult to play for most players.  

T9 ships earn more credits than T10 ships do.

[4-FUN]
[4-FUN]
Members
123 posts
8,623 battles

I would consider buying a premium BB in a line that you have researched to at least T8 and that you enjoy. That way you can swap captains between your premium and T8/9/10 non premium BB. 

Personally I like the Georgia, especially as it is a viable secondary ship if secondary builds are your thing.

The new German T9 premium (Pommern, formally Ludendorf) was announced as Coal, however going by the previous time it has taken the devs to announce, test and launch similar ships (Siegfried, Agir etc), you may be waiting up to 12 months before it enters the game. If you have a discount voucher (current one expires in December), it may be the same cost as other T9 premiums putting it at 171,000 coal (including 25% discount).

Here is the latest on the performance of the ship, which IMO, has a too slow of a main battery reload to pique my interest. I may just skip it all together as the Agir with its 17.1 second reload and torps is performming pretty well with my Kurfy Captain on her.

https://www.wows-gamer-blog.com/2020/05/ludendorff-tier-ix-german-battleship.html

Edited by CC123

[DOTM]
Members
8 posts
2,478 battles

You guys are definitely making me lean towards Thunderer especially if it may be gettint taken out soon! 😎👍

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
25,720 posts
22,633 battles

Georgia, Thunderer.  Both are fantastic for different reasons.

Georgia is pretty well rounded with lots of gimmicks.  Decent protection, outrageous speed, Massachusetts style Secondaries, 457mm x6 guns gimmicked up to be useful in accuracy and reload.

Thunderer's one claim to fame is stupidly good Battleship gunnery.  The rest of her isn't actually that good, but if you are the kind of Battleship player that demands that your guns be able to answer all your problems, then you'll love her.  She has 457mm x8 rifles that are accurate and fast reloading, great HE and AP shells.

When Thunderer and Ohio used to be in testing together, Ohio was considered OP by testers and Thunderer trash.  Late in development, WG swapped the gunnery between these two BBs.  That is why you see Thunderer now with God Tier Battleship Gunnery.  Her gunnery is the only other set of BB guns that make IJN 460mm / 510mm look over their shoulders.

Another alternative is Alaska if you have the Super Cruiser itch.  IMO, the most well rounded Super Cruiser that players can generally access right now. 

She's stupidly forgiving in her protection, unlike the IJN B-65 Super Cruisers. BBs have complained how annoying it is trying to Citadel Alaska. 

She has good gunnery, unlike Kronshtadt.

Her HE is good to go, unlike Agir.

She has great AP shells with USN CA special bounce angles.  The only other Super Cruisers with special AP bounce angles are Puerto Rico and Stalingrad.

She has radar to pester DDs and smoke campers with, so she can bring utility to her teams, which Yoshino, Azuma, Agir, Siegfried lack.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Thanks 1

Beta Testers
788 posts
2,987 battles
35 minutes ago, Ranari said:

Thunderer is a monster.  It's also very easy to play.

Georgia is also fantastic, but is going to be more difficult to play for most players.  

T9 ships earn more credits than T10 ships do.

Pommern looks like they are having trouble balancing it. High DPM and torps strapped to the H-class armor has a lot of potential. 

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,433 posts
6,255 battles
27 minutes ago, BlackAngelCom said:

Pommern looks like they are having trouble balancing it. High DPM and torps strapped to the H-class armor has a lot of potential. 

agir looks like a better ship,faster reload and more stealthy.

H-class armor have a BIG problem and its their size,they are very easy to burn and that will happen 100% of the time when she is spotted trying to brawl.

from what i saw,pommern now have 1.5 sigma and 273 dispersion,its basically a shotgun.

it reminds me of normandie and lyon but they at least have french HE to act as backup.

Edited by Cruxdei

Beta Testers
788 posts
2,987 battles
48 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

agir looks like a better ship,faster reload and more stealthy.

H-class armor have a BIG problem and its their size,they are very easy to burn and that will happen 100% of the time when she is spotted trying to brawl.

from what i saw,pommern now have 1.5 sigma and 273 dispersion,its basically a shotgun.

it reminds me of normandie and lyon but they at least have french HE to act as backup.

They're fiddling with the dispersion so much because (a) the original value was overpowered and should never have been, and (b) the 12 guns mean it has the highest non-boosted DPM of any T9 BB with "big enough" shells for most purposes. It's not as fun a way of getting 5 hits as a Seigfried would be but it has similar impact.

I'm reserving judgment on this until its finalized. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
25,720 posts
22,633 battles
3 hours ago, BlackAngelCom said:

Originally Pommern had 1.8 Sigma, IMO too good.  Alsace is like her but has 1.6 Sigma.  WG wisely lowered Pommern to 1.6 like Alsace.

Even then I think she's too much improved from the FR BB counterpart.