You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gylharen

Why are BBs so wimpy? New Player

14 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
318 battles

I am new to WOWS and find that BB's are severely under-powered in comparison to the fast destroyers and cruisers. With huge shot dispersion, much slower fire rate, large maneuverability disparity and large number of useless overpens that happen.

I am sure there have been discussions on this and as to why this is. Can you share a link to these?

I am a WOT player looking for something different but find that destroyers are a lot like an EBR with an additional death star gun mounted on it. I find this incredibly dissappointing as the EBR has destroyed WOT above tier 8 for me personally.

• Confused 1

[HINON]
Members
12,945 posts
11 minutes ago, Gylharen said:

The T3 BBs can be a bit underwhelming due to the dispersion of their main guns. DDs at that tier can move in swiftly and nuke ships with torps more easily. As the tiers increase BBs get more accurate generally and pushing in close to one is perilous. BBs due to the long reload also punish less than precise aiming skills though the dispersion can still cause some perfectly aimed shots to go all around the target. Ammo selection is also critical as you need to know what ships you can pen with your guns and from what distance. It is also important to know where to target on an enemy. For instance, you might know that in really close to a lightly armored target is going to cause your shots to overpen since the armor isnt thick enough to fuse it, also you may find that in a brawl, because the arc is so flat, you end up shooting over the top of the citadel instead of the shell landing at a downward angle into it. BBs do generally have better armor allowing you to bounce shells and they have a heal letting you survive longer to dish out the pain on the enemy team. One idea that might help is posting a replay of a typical game gaining advice tailored specifically to your gameplay. WOWS does automatically save the last 30 battles as replays in the replay folder.

Members
4 posts
318 battles

Was not really even talking about my game play (I know I am a noob and it will take time to learn)

I watch other DD and Cruisers just charge BBs with total disregard for them and farm them as they dodge the shots from the BB and plow them down with torpedoes. It just appears like the BB has to get lucky to hit them as they can dodge incoming shots easily. I watch a DD charge through two BBs dodging their main guns and then taking both out with torpedoes to each side. Nice skill play by the DD but really the BBs had no shot of stopping him either.

I'm at tier 5/6 and dread even thinking about going higher as I am still learning but the disparity just seems very large to someone new to this game.

I am currently just playing the US and British BBs, but this is mostly an overall observation of BBs in general.

[WNSTN]
Members
127 posts
8,874 battles

This game is designed as Rock-Paper-scissors setup. Bb counter cruisers, cruisers counter dd, dd counter BB's. Battleship can be very strong in many situations. A bully, a sniper. 

Dispersion is part of the game. Carriers rekt all 3 types so enjoy that soon.

• Meh 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,095 posts
4,568 battles
1 hour ago, Gylharen said:

I am a WOT player looking for something different but find that destroyers are a lot like an EBR with an additional death star gun mounted on it. I find this incredibly dissappointing as the EBR has destroyed WOT above tier 8 for me personally.

That's why. I also came from tanks and I only play battleships. A transition is possible but it is quite the adjustment period to go from a heavy tank that reloads in 7 seconds down to a battleship that reloads in 30. 

The key to BBs is positioning and awareness. You wanna get to a swedish spot, and get comfortable with your gunnery that you can slam anything that may try to rush you. Keep track of DDs and their torps and the rest should take care of itself

[RLGN]
Members
13,725 posts
23,946 battles
4 minutes ago, Gylharen said:

I watch other DD and Cruisers just charge BBs with total disregard for them and farm them as they dodge the shots from the BB and plow them down with torpedoes. It just appears like the BB has to get lucky to hit them as they can dodge incoming shots easily. I watch a DD charge through two BBs dodging their main guns and then taking both out with torpedoes to each side. Nice skill play by the DD but really the BBs had no shot of stopping him either.

It’s an experience thing.

If I made a choice to play lower tier Randoms in a battleship, and a destroyer tried to do that to me, they’d be dead meat.

I make it my business to pay attention to where destroyers might be, (mini map.)

I make it my business to load HE if I expect to fight a destroyer, but AP is fine in a pinch; and I’ve already tabbed the reload to be HE.

I made it my business to learn how to shoot at and hit destroyers, when I got tired of being sunk by them in South Carolina; that would be way back in 2016, when my game count was a bit lower.

I make it my business in any ship to always lock my secondaries on the nearest spotted Red destroyer. Even if it goes dark, the secondaries stay locked when it appears again.

Fighting a destroyer is also about maneuver and psychology.

If you’re in a bad position, then don’t be afraid to run. Force the destroyer to chase you. Every 20-35 seconds you extend the chase is another main battery reload.

Another option if you’re prepared and in a good position, or just plain have no other choice, is to CHARGE the destroyer.

You be surprised how many destroyer drivers flinch first, when they realize that ‘big dumb battleship’ is hunting them.

Respect destroyers, but don’t fear them.

• Cool 1

Members
4 posts
318 battles
3 minutes ago, OilyBusiness said:

This game is designed as Rock-Paper-scissors setup. Bb counter cruisers, cruisers counter dd, dd counter BB's. Battleship can be very strong in many situations. A bully, a sniper. 

Dispersion is part of the game. Carriers rekt all 3 types so enjoy that soon.

Already had the pleasure of torpedo bombers, such fun that is...

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
33 posts
4,063 battles
43 minutes ago, Gylharen said:

Was not really even talking about my game play (I know I am a noob and it will take time to learn)

I'm at tier 5/6 and dread even thinking about going higher as I am still learning but the disparity just seems very large to someone new to this game.

I am currently just playing the US and British BBs, but this is mostly an overall observation of BBs in general.

Most Battleship dispersion is a disappointing joke at mid-low tiers (although I have the Tier 9 American BB and the dispersion on it still feels like a joke half the time) and in general low tier destroyers are somewhat overtuned as it's hard to stop them from yoloing and trading if they really want to.

If you want consistent gunnery I would recommend Soviet BBs as they are powerful and reliable at Tier 5 with an armor scheme most reminiscent of Japanese Heavy tanks (if someone shoots you from the front you're insanely durable, but if someone gets your side you get absolutely demolished)

Battleships are always a bit vulnerable to DDs, but at higher tiers your teams tend to compensate for this and make things more fair. You get enough guns with powerful enough HE and reliable enough dispersion most DDs won't try to rush you unless you're completely isolated, distracted and they have full HP (or if you're around an island and they can ambush you) and for the most part you will be screened by cruisers (especially radar cruisers) and all sorts of hydroacoustic searches to prevent them from slamming you with a wall of torps from concealment.

Tiers don't take nearly as long as WoT, so give it until T8 to truly call BBs a lost cause. The American BB line is slow and ech until North Carolina, and while King George V (T7 British BB) is pretty decent the British Battleship line doesn't truly come into its own until Tier 9 (Lion). British BBs are also primarily HE spammers unlike the other BB lines, and while it makes sense to shoot a broadside cruiser with AP you'll do best shooting other BBs with your potent HE instead of trying to make the AP work at long ranges.

Members
250 posts
519 battles
2 hours ago, Gylharen said:

I am new to WOWS and find that BB's are severely under-powered in comparison to the fast destroyers and cruisers. With huge shot dispersion, much slower fire rate, large maneuverability disparity and large number of useless overpens that happen.

I am sure there have been discussions on this and as to why this is. Can you share a link to these?

This is actually the first discussion I've seen like this. And it might be fire discipline, some BB's don't hold their fire and miss a lot.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,623 posts

3 hours ago, Gylharen said:

Tin Hat says:

It's a plot designed to shove you out of BBs as there are too many BB players, more than enough DD players but not enough cruiser players. BBs are sort of lost without a dd or cruiser to protect them from red dd/cruiser. You've seen this happening.

Tin Hat says fight the good fight, grind, grind, grind and grind some more on those BBs so you can ride around in the most powerful ships in the game, one day. 

<-> 

I suggest you play a bit of all classes so you can see the battle viewpoint through different goggles. It broadens your horizons to play all ship types, including carriers. 

[WOLF3]
Members
25,623 posts
22,583 battles

Low Tier Battleships can't hit sh*t, that is why Seal Clubbers loved playing DDs there because they massacre those new players trying to play their Tier III-IV Battleships.

Their accuracy is bad, their secondaries are even worse, so DD players can go right up with near-impunity and crush a Battleship.

But as you get higher in the tiers, Battleships only get better and better.

Members
4 posts
318 battles
11 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

This is actually the first discussion I've seen like this. And it might be fire discipline, some BB's don't hold their fire and miss a lot.

It sounds like this is just the perspective of a new player at the lower tiers then. I keep putting up the good fight and see how things go.

Thanks to everyone for the responses

[THREE]
Members
2,319 posts
12,486 battles

Hey

BB's are garbage because in the ways of Wargaming; it's not balanced to have any one ship class much less a nation other than Russia to do overly good.  So they nerf'd BB damage across the board, made the guns less accurate and allow them to burn at a ridiculous rate.  Some patches ago at the CV rework; they Nerf'd AA of all ship classes by removing 10% of concealment, removed manual AA, removed AFT 20% AA range buff, Nerf'd the DFAA consumable and Nerf'd the AA gun upgrade, so AA on any ship is now a laughing stock that even CC's and super testers don't even fully understand, it's meaning less.  There was a huge Nerf to BB AP on DD's so that they would only do 10% damage, you  were supposed to switch to HE instead, But that garbage too.  As I once hit a DD at close range with my Conqueror with 8 HE pens, immediately set 3 fires and he damaged controlled and sank me with torps.  So it's not just a low tier ship, or a new player problem.  The game mechanics are not what they used to be, and the more "balanced" as Wargaming makes it,  the more unpredictable (RNG) it becomes; to the point of "Is it really worth playing, and the aggravation of watching good shots landing little to no damage, or your HE hit an 80% shot but set no fires even when your BB has a 50-60% fire probability.  You will average 5-10% at best; watch your results at the end of the game and calculate it for yourself.  The ship stats listed are not true. 

Pete