You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lynx7386

Marblehead worth it?

24 comments in this topic

[JSRF]
Members
21 posts
134 battles

I've almost got enough coal, with the coupon, to afford a marblehead cruiser. Is it worth buying? I tend to do really well with the phoenix, not so well with the omaha (which confounds me since they're practically identical to one another), and I know the marblehead is an omaha variant but cant seem to tell if it's got any actual power improvement over the baseline ship.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,400 posts
6,232 battles

no

anyone that is trying to sell you the deal that "omaha is fun" or her variants are good are trying to trick you into sailing garbage so they can sink you in game.

• Cool 3

[JSRF]
Members
21 posts
134 battles

Disappointing that there arent more coal options then. I either wait indefinitely to buy what, IMO, is an overpriced ship, or go for a low tier ship i'll get no use out of.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,400 posts
6,232 battles
3 minutes ago, Lynx7386 said:

Disappointing that there arent more coal options then. I either wait indefinitely to buy what, IMO, is an overpriced ship, or go for a low tier ship i'll get no use out of.

i can agree on the fact that we dont have many coal ships besides the overpriced ships or the low tier ones.

but thankfully it's a currency that anyone can get,soon you will have enough coal to get the tier9 coal ships.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,657 posts
13,997 battles
7 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

No, don't bother.  Save your coal for a useful ship.  

Considering the low number of matches the OP has it is about as high as he should go and while power creeped it is as good as pretty much any other cruiser tier 5 cruiser.

[DOG]
Members
561 posts
10,869 battles

I love my Marblehead.  Actually do better in it (68% W/R over 121 battles, averaging over 48K damage) than in my Omaha (51% W/R over 162 battles, averaging over 41K damage). Have to use the WASD keys aggressively to dodge shells.  Have't played either all that much in the last year or so and I suspect you'll find the prevalence of CVs and lack of any effective AA a problem. I have a 13 point captain on my Omaha and use a 19 point on my Marblehead (with IFHE/DE skills).

[TBW]
Members
9,953 posts
16,768 battles
20 minutes ago, Lynx7386 said:

I've almost got enough coal, with the coupon, to afford a marblehead cruiser. Is it worth buying? I tend to do really well with the phoenix, not so well with the omaha (which confounds me since they're practically identical to one another), and I know the marblehead is an omaha variant but cant seem to tell if it's got any actual power improvement over the baseline ship.

You can get the torpedo reload down to 34.7 seconds.

shot-20_07.31_17_28.17-0717.thumb.jpg.a0caea6ba1a5f578cca744633643be5e.jpg

image.thumb.png.c171cbed2e7e3a06403190e68c00a9a7.png

image.thumb.png.52fbc199c8989fc2dd3589ecfb94035f.png

She is a competent enough ship, I wasn't a very great player when I got her, I some how think that those random stats would be better if I played her now with more experience. She is a very squishy ship and you don't want to be broadside to virtually anything. Torps are her gimmick.

[RLGN]
Members
13,725 posts
23,949 battles
23 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

I love my Marblehead.  Actually do better in it (68% W/R over 121 battles, averaging over 48K damage) than in my Omaha (51% W/R over 162 battles, averaging over 41K damage). Have to use the WASD keys aggressively to dodge shells.  Have't played either all that much in the last year or so and I suspect you'll find the prevalence of CVs and lack of any effective AA a problem. I have a 13 point captain on my Omaha and use a 19 point on my Marblehead (with IFHE/DE skills).

Is it worth it?

YES. To ME.

Marblehead’s journey home from the disaster that marked the end of the ABDA in the Southwest Pacific is every bit as epic as Captain William Bligh’s journey back to civilization after being marooned by Fletcher Christian.

Admittedly it’s not for everyone, but anyone who tells you Marblehead, (or Murmansk, or Omaha, or Phoenix,) are hopeless basket cases has no idea how to use them.

I love Marblehead. She can murder destroyers with HE, and her AP is nothing to sneeze at either. She is a porcupine that pretty much always shoot something, no matter which way she’s going.

Yes there are better T5 cruisers, arguably even Murmansk is better, but you’ll never get me to say anything bad about Marblehead.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 3

[JSRF]
Members
21 posts
134 battles

I dont currently have a premium cruiser, and that's my preferred ship class, i've been using the ishizushi to get free xp but i'm not fond of battleships and it's only t4.

[FML]
Members
3,728 posts
14,850 battles
24 minutes ago, Lynx7386 said:

I dont currently have a premium cruiser, and that's my preferred ship class, i've been using the ishizushi to get free xp but i'm not fond of battleships and it's only t4.

Fair enough. 

Personally, I would suggest you save your coal (and coupon) for now, and look for a more substantial ship that will help you long term. Tier 6 and 7 ships can be used in PVE Operations/Scenarios, and T8+ ships can be used for grinding campaign missions. You’re still new, so I wouldn’t worry about it just yet*, but it’s something to think about for later. 

However, I do encourage you to have a look at my guide for premium ships for new players. It will give you the tools you need to make the right choice for yourself, and makes some suggestions for solid premiums that are easy for new players (and experienced players!) to grasp. 

Otherwise, good luck! Let us know what you decide.

*But you should be doing the Science of Victory campaign, which is designed to reward new players. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[8492]
[8492]
Members
466 posts
2,589 battles
1 hour ago, Lynx7386 said:

You have only played 71 games in total, you need to learn the game more and play the different classes and line ships before investing in any premium ships. And the majority of premium ships aren't any better then the ships you have access to in the lines.

[RLGN]
Members
13,725 posts
23,949 battles
12 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

However, I do encourage you to have a look at my guide for premium ships for new players. It will give you the tools you need to make the right choice for yourself, and makes some suggestions for solid premiums that are easy for new players (and experienced players!) to grasp.

Good advice here @Lynx7386. UN call tell about normal ships, as opposed to me; the weirdo who seems to like ‘bad’ ships...

Emerald, Krasny Kyrm, Mutsuki, South Carolina, Bogue, (1-1-1 Strike, when it still existed,) Buffalo, a few others...

[WOLFG]
Members
454 posts
11,165 battles

I think it's worth the coal. I got both of mine (The Marblehead & Marblehead Lima) from supercontainers, but I think I would buy it for coal if I didn't have it already. It's a pretty fun ship in my opinion.

I haven't played mine in a while though since I mostly play high tiers these days. That said, the torps are pretty amazing for a tier 5. Can get the reload down below 40 seconds with skills and so on. Plus they have 8.2km range if I remember right. It also has a high rate of fire for her guns too.

Downside is the armor is kinda weak, so you have to be careful.

Anyway, I think the Marblehead is worth the coal.

Edited by Colonel_Potter

[FML]
Members
3,728 posts
14,850 battles
17 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Good advice here @Lynx7386. UN call tell about normal ships, as opposed to me; the weirdo who seems to like ‘bad’ ships...

Emerald, Krasny Kyrm, Mutsuki, South Carolina, Bogue, (1-1-1 Strike, when it still existed,) Buffalo, a few others...

Thanks!

When I saw that you liked the Marblehead, I was not surprised at all!! Haha

[DOG]
Members
561 posts
10,869 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I love Marblehead. She can murder destroyers with HE, and her AP is nothing to sneeze at either. She is a porcupine that pretty much always shoot something, no matter which way she’s going.

Yes there are better T5 cruisers, arguably even Murmansk is better, but you’ll never get me to say anything bad about Marblehead.

Interestingly I also have the Murmansk and love it as well. Unfortunately I don't do as well with it as Marblehead (58% W/R over 218 games doing over 40K damage per game in it). Like the Marblehead, I don't tend to play it much these days (playing more tier 7 and 8s).

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,989 posts
9,901 battles
5 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

Is it worth buying? Not really. Personally I think you should save your coal and keep building it up. There will be more coupons. 

[WOLF3]
Members
25,623 posts
22,583 battles
5 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

no

anyone that is trying to sell you the deal that "omaha is fun" or her variants are good are trying to trick you into sailing garbage so they can sink you in game.

The reason Omaha-class exists is so that opposing players pad their stats against them.  HUGE tall hull sides with an equally exposed Citadel makes them supremely easy to punish.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SOV]
Members
4,429 posts
5 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

Yes. But buy it coal is to hard to get.

Members
95 posts
9,464 battles

I like it, both HE and AP is good, you can wreck enemy destroyers with HE and AP will citadel cruisers nicely. Getting shot at by BBs though is to be avoided as your armour is bad. However, keep jinking and firing, it's a fun ship.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,761 posts
10,144 battles
7 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

At that level if you want a fun ship get the Charleston.  It’s a St Louis with a little more money making and a little more Xp, and is stupid fun like St Louis.