Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DolphinPrincess

A quick and simple way to have fun in ranked

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,322
[O7]
Members
958 posts
3,864 battles

How many times do you see posts like this during a ranked season?

  • "My team sucks"
  • "Penalty for those who AFK in ranked"
  • "My allies BB snipes at A1, bots in ranked?"
  • "I'm stopping at rank 5, not worth my time to carry these potatoes"
  • "Remove save a star, star savers ruin ranked"
  • "Teammate suicides and throws game"
  • "I lost 4 stars today because my team doesn't cap"
  • "Enemy team gets premium radar ship, my team has stock cruiser"

What do all these have in common? What causes all the rage in ranked?

If you treat ranked as a mode with the goal of reaching rank 1, then you will always be frustrated with a loss because every loss is either a waste of time or moving you backwards from your destination.

If you treat ranked as random battles with rewards along the way and not having to worry about stats, then you will always have more fun than you normally would in random battles.

Stop caring about how your teammates perform, who cares about what other people does?

If they want to AFK or throw, so be it. If you dont throw, then such a player is more likely to be on the enemy team than on your team.

Enemy team have a unicum? So what? Become a super unicum so that your team will always have one that can stomp the enemy regular unicum into the dirt.

Enemy team have 3 radars to your 0? Cool, that means the enemy team will have a weakness in other areas in tradeoff for the radar, exploit it.

 

So the next time you have a 5 kill kraken 150k game that ended in a defeat, stop getting angry about a fictional star and know that you did well, you crushed the enemy, and that you still got plenty of other rewards for doing so.

By the way, even the top players only win 60%-80% of the time in a regular ranked season, and what normal players consider to be super games are average games to super unicums.

If SUs had the same mentality and got frustrated with every loss that they did well in, they would all have all raged quitted on the first day.

 

I am currently grinding my stock Shokaku in ranked, getting ready for the WoWS anniversary event (where you get really good rewards for every T10)

Do I win every game? No. Am I immune to getting AFKs and trolls in ranked? Absolutely not. 

There are some unicums that have already ranked out saying "finally, I'm done" treating a game like a job.

But for me, whose still at rank 7, I am just taking my time and having fun playing this game. Since you cant "prestige" and reset your progress in ranked, I am taking it slow and raking in the resources from every battle.

And you should do the same. Trust me, you will have a lot more fun if you just play it like a randoms battle instead of worrying about stars.

 

Oh, one last thing, if you dont need to grind and want to maximize your chance of winning, here is my ship tier list for the season:

unknown.png

Forgot the add Kidd, which is A tier and Tirpitz, which is the same tier as Bismarck in D tier.

But keep in mind just because you choose to take Enterprise doesnt mean your team cant throw and make you lose, they will always find a way.

I am getting 70%+ so far by playing Shokaku, thats CVs for ya.

  • Cool 10
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
845
[WOLF6]
Members
1,707 posts
5,281 battles

Best way to have fun in ranked is to laugh at raging children.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,517
[POP]
Beta Testers
4,442 posts
6,282 battles

best way to have fun in ranked is to NOT PLAY ranked.

there i solved you hours of frustration and "fake fun"...

you can thank me later when your mental health gets better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,500
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,323 posts
14,544 battles

Thanks Dolphin for the advice. Yeah if ranked makes you make the William Defoe scream face. Try something else like random. Which coincidentally is the people who make up ranked.

Plus if your average like me. There is no rank 1. However there is rank 10 where you can get the discount flag. That’s my main goal for regular ranked so I can put it on the ships I like playing in random.

 

*Screaming William Defoe face* 👇

65A339BC-FF9C-4987-B407-AB27EE0B7B7A.jpeg

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
617
[THREE]
Members
2,100 posts
10,631 battles

Yeah, if I didn't care about getting R1(which is kinda the point), I would just play randoms...

Which is exactly what I've been doing for most of the past Ranked seasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,167
[SALVO]
Members
3,438 posts
3,305 battles

Your post comes at a particularily convinient moment for me, thank you. I was thinking about taking my grind of stock subpar ships to Ranked, it looked like a very nice oportunity to kill 2 birds with 1stone but I worried about being kinda dbag and "detrimental" to my team. If a competitive player is cool with that then my only objection to do it is removed. Grind on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
643
[FAE]
Members
2,586 posts
3,435 battles

good advice @DolphinPrincess

 

Btw, can you go over your reasoning for why a 7 or 8 tier list? As opposed to say 3 or 4? Is the grittiness actually that much more useful? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,521
Beta Testers
4,550 posts
10,944 battles

This is what i do when i play.  I could care less about Rank 1.  I play X games and go on.

 

Only a bit above 60% W/R since i decided to finish Tallinn Grind in Ranked... and Benson Grind... ouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
101
[O7]
Supertester
96 posts
12,088 battles

The CVs in the tier list is inaccurate. CVs will always be a 1 v 1 comparison vs another CV; any small differences in capabilities or player skill is magnified. Mediocre players and those who play the weaker CVs will struggle to rank out. Placing all the CVs into S tier invalidates the legitimacy of this tier list. 

Also, Lex is better than Enty in the constant 3+ BB meta as Enty AP DBs can't cit Mass and FFARs can't pen 32mm of armor. Lex is more capable all round. 

 

Aside from that, Ranked is more of a psychological test than a test of skill. Unless you are literally that 40% WR player in randoms, you can rank out every season assuming you have enough time. The main issue really is how to cope with the eventual bad teams, afk players, automatic losses that will happen. Everyone has their own ways to deal with the stress; I stop treating ranked seriously and use it to grind ships and play non-meta ships for fun. 

Also, remember the whole point of playing video games is to have fun. If ranked has gotten to the point where you are frustrated by just clicking Battle, then it's a good sign to stop playing ranked. Your mental health is worth more than a few pixel ships. 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,363
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,725 posts
19,709 battles
2 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

How many times do you see posts like this during a ranked season?

  • "My team sucks"
  • "Penalty for those who AFK in ranked"
  • "My allies BB snipes at A1, bots in ranked?"
  • "I'm stopping at rank 5, not worth my time to carry these potatoes"
  • "Remove save a star, star savers ruin ranked"
  • "Teammate suicides and throws game"
  • "I lost 4 stars today because my team doesn't cap"
  • "Enemy team gets premium radar ship, my team has stock cruiser"

What do all these have in common? What causes all the rage in ranked?

If you treat ranked as a mode with the goal of reaching rank 1, then you will always be frustrated with a loss because every loss is either a waste of time or moving you backwards from your destination.

If you treat ranked as random battles with rewards along the way and not having to worry about stats, then you will always have more fun than you normally would in random battles.

Stop caring about how your teammates perform, who cares about what other people does?

If they want to AFK or throw, so be it. If you dont throw, then such a player is more likely to be on the enemy team than on your team.

Enemy team have a unicum? So what? Become a super unicum so that your team will always have one that can stomp the enemy regular unicum into the dirt.

Enemy team have 3 radars to your 0? Cool, that means the enemy team will have a weakness in other areas in tradeoff for the radar, exploit it.

 

So the next time you have a 5 kill kraken 150k game that ended in a defeat, stop getting angry about a fictional star and know that you did well, you crushed the enemy, and that you still got plenty of other rewards for doing so.

By the way, even the top players only win 60%-80% of the time in a regular ranked season, and what normal players consider to be super games are average games to super unicums.

If SUs had the same mentality and got frustrated with every loss that they did well in, they would all have all raged quitted on the first day.

 

I am currently grinding my stock Shokaku in ranked, getting ready for the WoWS anniversary event (where you get really good rewards for every T10)

Do I win every game? No. Am I immune to getting AFKs and trolls in ranked? Absolutely not. 

There are some unicums that have already ranked out saying "finally, I'm done" treating a game like a job.

But for me, whose still at rank 7, I am just taking my time and having fun playing this game. Since you cant "prestige" and reset your progress in ranked, I am taking it slow and raking in the resources from every battle.

And you should do the same. Trust me, you will have a lot more fun if you just play it like a randoms battle instead of worrying about stars.

 

Oh, one last thing, if you dont need to grind and want to maximize your chance of winning, here is my ship tier list for the season:

unknown.png

Forgot the add Kidd, which is A tier and Tirpitz, which is the same tier as Bismarck in D tier.

But keep in mind just because you choose to take Enterprise doesnt mean your team cant throw and make you lose, they will always find a way.

I am getting 70%+ so far by playing Shokaku, thats CVs for ya.

Grab a fun premium and play it....

I reached 10 with only 2 losses, then...

Won 1.

Lost 3.

Won 1.

Lost 2.

Won 3.....

Sitting at my goal rank 10...

Probably going to try for 5 on Tue , my day off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
292
[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,141 posts

Had a fun game in ranked last night , red team had a Kag and a Assholeo( not sure spelling,what i call them anyway)a Talinin ,Atago and 2 Mass' and Kaga. We had a Benson  a A....B a Balti(me) a 'gami  a Mass a Lenin and a Lex. Any way I spotted their Assholeo:Smile_trollface:  trying to flank so i got between him and our BBs and pushed him all the way across the map before i killed the little bugger, funniest part was he didn't know he could only torp BBs. Any way we won I only got like 12k dmg but i got 3 comps and a rather nasty message from him in port chat. All in all it was a good end to the night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,322
[O7]
Members
958 posts
3,864 battles
2 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

good advice @DolphinPrincess

 

Btw, can you go over your reasoning for why a 7 or 8 tier list? As opposed to say 3 or 4? Is the grittiness actually that much more useful? 

I use a different process, while the more common one is to choose the number of tiers first then slot each ship in, I feel like its far too subjective and lacks comparison between ships individually.

So instead, I make tiers by bundling ship of similar nature together and rating them based on their performance to that nature.

 For example, the star saver cruiser group that plays to HE spam at distance

The best at the job is certainly Mainz, with amazing range and DPM, on top of 1/4 pen for amazing effective DPM

Charles Martel offers consistent DPM output as it is very safe and keep its guns hot, not enough to match Mainz or Bayard so a tier lower

Bagration, Mogami, and Irian are all HE spammers but far less effective. Mogami is too situational and squishy, Irian and Bagration have much lower damage, thus 2 tiers below

Albemarle not only lacks DPM but its effective DPM is even lower due to shell velocity

And Hipper fills in the last tier for pathetic amount of DPM and no redeeming quality to make up for it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,729 posts
93 battles
5 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

How many times do you see posts like this during a ranked season?

  • "My team sucks"
  • "Penalty for those who AFK in ranked"
  • "My allies BB snipes at A1, bots in ranked?"
  • "I'm stopping at rank 5, not worth my time to carry these potatoes"
  • "Remove save a star, star savers ruin ranked"
  • "Teammate suicides and throws game"
  • "I lost 4 stars today because my team doesn't cap"
  • "Enemy team gets premium radar ship, my team has stock cruiser"

What do all these have in common? What causes all the rage in ranked?

If you treat ranked as a mode with the goal of reaching rank 1, then you will always be frustrated with a loss because every loss is either a waste of time or moving you backwards from your destination.

If you treat ranked as random battles with rewards along the way and not having to worry about stats, then you will always have more fun than you normally would in random battles.

Stop caring about how your teammates perform, who cares about what other people does?

If they want to AFK or throw, so be it. If you dont throw, then such a player is more likely to be on the enemy team than on your team.

Enemy team have a unicum? So what? Become a super unicum so that your team will always have one that can stomp the enemy regular unicum into the dirt.

Enemy team have 3 radars to your 0? Cool, that means the enemy team will have a weakness in other areas in tradeoff for the radar, exploit it.

 

So the next time you have a 5 kill kraken 150k game that ended in a defeat, stop getting angry about a fictional star and know that you did well, you crushed the enemy, and that you still got plenty of other rewards for doing so.

By the way, even the top players only win 60%-80% of the time in a regular ranked season, and what normal players consider to be super games are average games to super unicums.

If SUs had the same mentality and got frustrated with every loss that they did well in, they would all have all raged quitted on the first day.

 

I am currently grinding my stock Shokaku in ranked, getting ready for the WoWS anniversary event (where you get really good rewards for every T10)

Do I win every game? No. Am I immune to getting AFKs and trolls in ranked? Absolutely not. 

There are some unicums that have already ranked out saying "finally, I'm done" treating a game like a job.

But for me, whose still at rank 7, I am just taking my time and having fun playing this game. Since you cant "prestige" and reset your progress in ranked, I am taking it slow and raking in the resources from every battle.

And you should do the same. Trust me, you will have a lot more fun if you just play it like a randoms battle instead of worrying about stars.

 

Oh, one last thing, if you dont need to grind and want to maximize your chance of winning, here is my ship tier list for the season:

unknown.png

Forgot the add Kidd, which is A tier and Tirpitz, which is the same tier as Bismarck in D tier.

But keep in mind just because you choose to take Enterprise doesnt mean your team cant throw and make you lose, they will always find a way.

I am getting 70%+ so far by playing Shokaku, thats CVs for ya.

Whoawhoawhoawhoa, the loudest anti-CV unicum playing CVs???

What is happening here????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,322
[O7]
Members
958 posts
3,864 battles
11 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Whoawhoawhoawhoa, the loudest anti-CV unicum playing CVs???

What is happening here????

I play CVs in operations, sub battles, and ranked

This way I do not grief other players by playing the class. 

I am just grinding them (I grinded the Ryojo in sub battles at T6) so I can complete my T10 collection

  • Boring 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,066
[PVE]
Members
3,977 posts
16,913 battles
6 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

How many times do you see posts like this during a ranked season? et al..

Don't play !!!  God, it's a misery every season.  Get some free stuff till an 8 year old in a premium op ship his grandmother bought him rams you and then accidentally blue-on-blue kills you and in chat is asking for what buttons do what???  Don't play after the first Locked level is the easiest way to enjoy ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
466
Members
521 posts
4,762 battles
7 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

unknown.png

Thank you for posting your list.

Balti vs Cleveland? What's your take. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,322
[O7]
Members
958 posts
3,864 battles
36 minutes ago, exray0 said:

Thank you for posting your list.

Balti vs Cleveland? What's your take. 

Depends on playstyle

If you play to win, then pick Baltimore, it have the tankiness to fight because 27mm armor allows it to easily tank a majority of battleships that have 380mm guns. It have stealth radar so you can use that to its advantage and sneak radar DDs. It also have heavy AP that can citadel cruisers easily. So pick Baltimore if you want maximum game impact.

If you play to not lose, then pick Cleveland. It have very strong DPM that allows it to melt Battleships. Its radar is weaker but it can still be used defensively to keep DDs away. And its AA is better since it can slot DFAA and keep carriers away. So pick Cleveland if you want to make faster progress in ranked.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
251
[--K--]
Supertester
1,120 posts
10,061 battles
3 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Whoawhoawhoawhoa, the loudest anti-CV unicum playing CVs???

What is happening here????

"but if you don't play cvs you can't say how it's bad for the game, or that's its easy" etc etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
640
[PEEDZ]
[PEEDZ]
Members
545 posts
2,825 battles

Fun in ranked?? 
6D105474-05D3-4324-9741-9C3D7A781A35.gif.d35d8a83b7f00edab60e3a87fc04d9b1.gif

 

Have you thought.... ya know that2FA16BA4-CD4B-48D4-97C2-0541FB05B2D9.gif.34b45e0da6ac81131eaaf2c5c4327569.gif
 

:P

Edited by TorpedoBonk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×