Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Steel Ships & non-Clan Battle Players

25 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,829 posts

Has anyone ever acquired enough steel to get a steel ship without playing in Clan Battles?

I've never paid any attention to my steel until about a week ago when I earned some in Ranked. So after 4 years of WOWS I find myself sitting on top of 1278 steel units.

:etc_red_button::cat_cool:

The problem is that Ranked is, as they say, pure torture. I got up to 12 but am not back at Rank 15.

:Smile_facepalm:

So how about it? Should I just forget about steel?

• Sad 1
  • Meh 3

[SALVO]
Members
3,380 posts
3,274 battles
6 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Yup, repeat after me: "I don't need a steel ship"

• Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
11,470 posts
22,341 battles
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Has anyone ever acquired enough steel to get a steel ship without playing in Clan Battles?

I've never paid any attention to my steel until about a week ago when I earned some in Ranked. So after 4 years of WOWS I find myself sitting on top of 1278 steel units.

The problem is that Ranked is, as they say, pure torture. I got up to 12 but am not back at Rank 15.

Never played Ranked or CB. Got Flint with Steel and am less than 300 from Bourgogne (with coupon).

All Steel gathered from flake events and missions/campaigns/dockyard/etc... that award it. I have tried to get my 40 every day from the daily's since it was added too.

If Steel is offered as a reward for something I make sure I get it.

I did not buy the Steel campaign they had a few years back (Steel Monsters or something like that). Wish now I had. I bought out the Odin dockyard event for that Steel (4500 +450 clan bonus = 4950).

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,602 posts

I was able to get Flint without playing a single Clan Battle. 

It took two holiday seasons worth of snowflakes, other events, and a few Ranked battles at the end. 

• Cool 1

[CGP]
Members
11 posts
11,377 battles

I play a little Ranked Battles, but no clan battles.  I have the Flint and just got the Stalingrad about a month ago!  Snowflakes and play to rank 10.

[WOLFA]
Members
793 posts
6,166 battles

After a few years of saving my steel I finally got fed up and bought the Flint and it was a complete waste.

I don't like the ship at all and never play it.

My Atlanta though is my most played ship go figure.

[TBW]
Members
9,963 posts
16,768 battles
1 minute ago, CorradoG60 said:

After a few years of saving my steel I finally got fed up and bought the Flint and it was a complete waste.

I don't like the ship at all and never play it.

My Atlanta though is my most played ship go figure.

Flint is a good Narai ship but then so is Atlanta.

Members
790 posts
5,371 battles
20 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I have both Black and Stalingrad and have only been playing a little over 2 years. 

[OIL-1]
Members
934 posts

I 'would' have had enough for Stalingrad w coupon, but the last xmas event lowered the steel by 50%.
Plus they've lowered the steel rewards for the upper ranks.
So I bought the Flint, then converted the rest to coal and got the Thunderer.
Of course, right after they announce the Flint will be available for coal.
I'm already back to 5,230 steel, and hope to have enough some day to get a steel camo.
Play to rank 10, missions, snowflakes.
So far I've only missed 1 day of the daily steel.

[PSV]
Members
523 posts
17,571 battles

The last couple of years they’ve offered Steel for real money (or doubloons) around the holiday season. That’s how I’ve  gotten most of mine (although I also dabble in CBs and Ranked). You can also now get a bit in daily missions (which you likely know). 

Steel ships aren’t anything super special. They’re just different tier 10s. There was a time you could have argued the Stalingrad was an OP ship that gave steel-generating clans an unfair advantage but those days are over. I barely play my Somers. And I think I’ve played a whopping two games in the Stalingrad, which I find super boring.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,188 posts
5,947 battles
52 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I currently have enough to buy any steel ship available , with my coupon, that I haven't used.   Gathered from other events that offered it, ranked,  and random Sc crate drops.   But having been holding out for Stalingrad, changed my mind on buying after FDR was announced.  So i'll hold on until it's cost/resource is announced...In the meantime, something else will bounce out in a ST or devblog and make me not want to spend it on that ship?   Bird in the bush kinda thing.......   

Edit to add.. I haven't played any CB at all.  

Members
493 posts
4,656 battles

Been playing since steel currency was introduced (not that I've been active that whole time mind) 0 clan battles and 0 snowflake events, I'm about 3000 steel away from being able to afford one after ranking out twice and getting a steel supercontainer (or 2? it's been years). 

To be honest though, I don't really want any of the current crop of ships anyway. Originally I wanted a Flint, but now I'm so glad I wasn't able to afford it at the time. 

[BUOY]
Members
833 posts
13,321 battles

If the possible 40 steel per day is a permanent thing now (definitely hope so) that's 14,600/15,330/16,030 steel per year with no competitive required. You can also still get 500 steel from the Swirsky campaign.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,450 posts
10,877 battles
On 7/31/2020 at 3:49 PM, TheGreatBlasto said:

I got a flint for around 12,000 steel with out playing any CB . Almost all of it came from all the snow flake events and 1 SC  .

Edited by clammboy

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,722 posts

12 is irrevocable.  It's impossible that you were rank 12, but returned to rank 15.  Once reaching rank 12, you can't fall below it.

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
934 posts
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So what's your daily avg for steel?

42. Got a 5% clan bonus. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up. 1,260 per month.

Unfortunately, they hinted that it would only be for the summer, so if you're starting now, don't expect much return. (But every little bit helps.)

[5D3]
[5D3]
Members
365 posts
14,149 battles
9 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

if you have had four years and that low of stell you have no hope of getting any without a top notch clan. So you will have to live wiht out having ships likes stalin, shikshima, and bourgogne. ships that are immessily powerful

Edited by lordholland4293
spelling

[--K--]
Supertester
1,114 posts
10,031 battles
9 hours ago, z9_ said:

42. Got a 5% clan bonus. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up. 1,260 per month.

Unfortunately, they hinted that it would only be for the summer, so if you're starting now, don't expect much return. (But every little bit helps.)

I believe thwy said through August for the daily steel. 

On topic I was able to get the Black before I played Clan battles, and possibly before I played ranked any. Steel flakes and the steel monsters campaign. 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,029 posts
8,822 battles

I managed to procure enough steel to get Stalingrad with the coupon without playing CB though there may have been a tiny handful of ranked.

Now I am close to 18k steel and saving that up for Shikishima with a coupon available as well.

Was hoping the next dockyard event would also give out steel, but nope it's research points instead which is rather unfortunate for those that don't have enough tier 10s to unlock the Research Bureau.

So I am now hoping that I get lucky enough from the Festive event and get all the super containers I can get.

[ALLY]
Members
221 posts
17,424 battles
12 hours ago, Monza406 said:

I play a little Ranked Battles, but no clan battles.  I have the Flint and just got the Stalingrad about a month ago!  Snowflakes and play to rank 10.

To OP:

Ditto what Monza said.  Exact same ships, same way of gathering steel and got Stalingrad about a month ago.

C130 signing out

[DOW]
Members
888 posts
5,730 battles

None of the steel ships are necessary:

• Bourgogne: Too vulnerable at Tier 10, have to play safe and snipe cruisers in the opening and midgame.
  • Shikishima: Too similar to Yamato, with a tiny boost in secondary range and AA.
  • Stalingrad: Too similar to Moskva, Petropavlovsk, and Des Moines, with a small advantage of the shorter AP fuse timer.

And all of them are played only by a small number of hardcore gamers, inflating stats. The more you play one, the more it's going to reduce your Personal Rating (PR).

[-TRM-]
Members
40 posts
1,819 battles

I own about oh... 1500 steel, took 5 years to accumulate that little bitty bit.

My clan is 45 people. Try getting seven for Clan Battles. Just wont happen. Often. Maybe four nights a year. Maybe 5 people, usually 4 or even 3. Never 7. So forget all that fancy steel stuff.

Even if you did get say 10 on a magical night when everyone is playing Wows, they end up playing Coop, random etc because they are bored waiting for that magical 7 to be READY now for a clan battle. So there is no point. If there is CB? Great. If not? Maybe next year.

Naval Battles? Shore. The prep bar is filled in less than 24 hours and the fight for stars is over the first 24 hour run for better or worse. I only own 4 ships so its easy to get stars. Usually. Not always.

I might go ahead and spend that small pile of steel into consumables. Some of it has been rusting quietly for 5 years. Its worthless otherwise. The big premium TX omfg ships for 300,000 steel and all that crap? No attraction to me, it will take me three lifetimes to accumulate that much in clan battles several times ayear. Maybe I build a new clan or join one that does CB all the time. But no, I don't do that. Thats the only problem with Wows. Sitting at the computer port ship screen for 4 hours several times a week doing nothing but sip coffee and stay awake waiting for 7 people.

HA. Don't worry about that. Just roll on in regular play.

Edited by xHeavy

Sign in to follow this