You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

Odin

9 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,321 posts
14,534 battles

Finally picked her up. I'm kind of a thrifty shopper so I finished all the directives up to 18. I had enough spare gold I have horded to pay for directive 19. I had to pony up roughly $5 dollars USD ( ironically like the Benham, pure coincidence ) and tadaaaa there she was sitting in port. I had enough coal built up I picked up Gunter Lujens. 

My impression so far. 

She is what I have heard and read. A super Scharnhorst. 

The pro's I have discovered, awesome concealment, fast turning main turrets, nimble for a T8 BB, nice secondary's, HYDRO!!!

The spots I need work on is much like the Scharnhorst she is a battlecruiser type BB. So no picking fights with legit BB's when bottom tiered. Angle, angle, and more angle!

Over all, I'm glad I got her.

Odin.jpg

• Cool 5

[KAPPA]
Members
3,036 posts
7,803 battles

Having hydro and torps is a massive gamechanger compared to Bismarck and Scharnhorst, I've found. I played a game in Scharn last night, hoping I'd like her now that I enjoy Odin, yet just found that I missed Odin.

At one point I was about 5km off from a DD's smoke, having to maneuver between 2 islands to turn around and flee. Odin, I'd have charged the smoke and likely killed both. Scharn... I was blind, and so had to just run, instead baiting and wasting their torps, but the moment to strike was already gone.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,723 posts
19,707 battles

Is CE skill really better to have than FP & AFT?

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,321 posts
14,534 battles
2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Is CE skill really better to have than FP & AFT?

To me, CE is a must on every ship except CV’s. That is just my personal preference. It drops to 12 km surface detection.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,321 posts
14,534 battles
1 hour ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Having hydro and torps is a massive gamechanger compared to Bismarck and Scharnhorst, I've found. I played a game in Scharn last night, hoping I'd like her now that I enjoy Odin, yet just found that I missed Odin.

At one point I was about 5km off from a DD's smoke, having to maneuver between 2 islands to turn around and flee. Odin, I'd have charged the smoke and likely killed both. Scharn... I was blind, and so had to just run, instead baiting and wasting their torps, but the moment to strike was already gone.

I have neither the Bismarck or the Tirpitz. To me the Odin is a good utility BC (battle cruiser). 
It has torpedos like the Tirpitz. Sonar like the Bismarck. Rapid for T8 turret traverse and reload. I picked DE because when she is bottom tiered, there will be more HE usage when dealing with approaching BB’s or kiting away from them. I smacked some lower tier DD’s pretty good today next to a cap. So far no regerts.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,036 posts
7,803 battles
54 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I have neither the Bismarck or the Tirpitz. To me the Odin is a good utility BC (battle cruiser). 
It has torpedos like the Tirpitz. Sonar like the Bismarck. Rapid for T8 turret traverse and reload. I picked DE because when she is bottom tiered, there will be more HE usage when dealing with approaching BB’s or kiting away from them. I smacked some lower tier DD’s pretty good today next to a cap. So far no regerts.

Sums her up well, more or less. Same guns as Scharnhorst, but she gets the hydro and secondaries of a T8+ KM BB. She may have low health, but she has basically all the fun tricks BBs can get short of a reload booster and speed boost. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,723 posts
19,707 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

To me, CE is a must on every ship except CV’s. That is just my personal preference. It drops to 12 km surface detection.

So 13.1 vs 12....

4 fires vs 3.....

My odin uses my GK captain with FP instead of CE....

I don't think I have any secondary brawling battleships rocking CE as I favor 3 fires and I'll be in view range anyways...

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,321 posts
14,534 battles
37 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

So 13.1 vs 12....

4 fires vs 3.....

My odin uses my GK captain with FP instead of CE....

I don't think I have any secondary brawling battleships rocking CE as I favor 3 fires and I'll be in view range anyways...

That’s cool. Like I said, just my preference. I read Dolphin_Princess comment one time about in the current meta 2ndary BB’s may not be always the best way to go. Besides the Odin is a wee BB compared to it’s T8 brethren. Especially if it is bottom tiered. That was my reasoning for CE.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,723 posts
19,707 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

That’s cool. Like I said, just my preference. I read Dolphin_Princess comment one time about in the current meta 2ndary BB’s may not be always the best way to go. Besides the Odin is a wee BB compared to it’s T8 brethren. Especially if it is bottom tiered. That was my reasoning for CE.

I find if you sorta hide part ofvypurself and make sure your not doing more than 1 v 1, Odin holds it's own.

You get into trouble fast with more than 2 shooting at you, and your secondaries aren't strong enough to deter bbs.

• Funny 1