Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Community. Tell us about yours!

14 comments in this topic

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,709 battles

For us, WoWS brought us together with many wonderful people, who are going to remain lifelong friends. Have you had similar experiences in the WoWS community, whom you've maybe even met IRL?

For me, I joined a group over 10 years ago (DHO or Dadshideout), started out playing World of Tanks with them, we have carried over to World of Warships and they are fun group for sure. They are, after all, not just a group of gamers, but a group/fellowship of  Dads and a great group of folks they are!

Over the years I have met in person many of them. Most recently after I retired from the Navy I went on a 7500 mile road trip all over the US. It was at first a trip to experience THIS country since I have been outside it for years in the Navy. The second was to tour various breweries, eateries, and distilleries. But thirdly, to visit these folks that I have known over the years digitally. Because, let's be honest, community is: a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals! And when you find a group you belong to, this is true!

I do not mind you guys dropping your clan names or groups that you roll with, just keep in mind this is NOT meant to be a recruitment post!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 5

[EGO]
Members
28 posts
7,209 battles

Well, I've been with my group of guys for a bit over 2 years now. I met them more or less on accident when I first started playing WoWS and saw that our big overseeing organization had a clan that I'd never heard of even though I was a part of the overseeing group for like 2 years before I'd heard of WoWS. After I'd joined the clan I was more of a solo player grinding Pensacola at T7, and these guys showed me how fun it was to play in divisions even if we lost more then 50% of the time with my garbage skills at the time. They taught me to really break free from my facade that I'd put out to literally everyone else and they're some of my best friends even If I don't tell them that, lol.

I've never met any of them in-person, though I'm sure that when one of us gets married we'll all be there, downing pints like it's water in the desert.

• Cool 4

[ARC]
Members
1,077 posts
11,583 battles

In my case, the clan I belong now has the same name as my country's navy. They begun recruiting in Facebook and I have been a part of it ever since. One of the best group of friends I have made, despite not meeting them yet, it is something I'm keeping in mind for the time I go to the capital, as a lot of them live there. 

• Cool 2

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,080 posts
19,494 battles

Our group is fairly new compared to a lot of clans in game. We have had members from around the world. United States, Canada, Brazil, China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, Australia, Poland, Sweden, UK. It would be a real feat getting us all together but we do have fun in game. A mix of younger and some who have been around the block. A really good group of people!

• Cool 2

[SLFF]
[SLFF]
Members
841 posts
52,279 battles

I kind of went in the opposite direction.  I'm part of a large community of Second Life (SL) players, mostly Furries.  When I got into World of Warships, I started a clan based around this group, but it has expanded to include many who are neither in SL nor Furries.

Edited by LiskaBystrouska

[SOUP]
Modder
9,066 posts

[SOUP] was formed in the fires of bitter disappointment and disgust with both humanity and previous game communities. We started as [FLOAT], a [edited] (okay, fine, Other Russian-developed vehicular-based WW2 MMO, if you're going to keep censoring it) community that just generally hung around and shot the breeze, with the name picked as a reference to the memes and shenanigans that we would conduct using flying boats and seaplanes (which at the time had quirks that made that vastly overpowered). In mid-November 2016.... let's just say that several of our users decided that they were... more important... than the rest of us and tried to strong-arm control of the unit.  I elected the route of "Aight, anyone that wants to be in their new community can stay here, everyone else report to this new channel".   Last I heard they were kings of nobody and had broken into smaller groups after even more in-fighting.   They still occasionally try to harass us but it's incredibly weak. 
What remains is a group of about 40-50 men, women and everything in between that just hang out and meme at each other. One of our favourite things to do is to add out-of-context quotations of our chatter and banter to a wall of fame, such as "That bag thing with a sideways piano on it", "It's taken me 6 hours to realize I have my pants on backwards.", and "If Tokyo means Eastern Capital, does that mean that Kyoto means Capital East?"  (That last one caused a minor existential crisis).
Our strength is in our multi-nationalism and diversity, and our ability to turn our "faults" into character traits; one of us has a severe stutter while talking. Before he met us he would be embarrassed by it. Now, he rolls with it, and with that new confidence, he's been able to better control it.
We have Americans, Canadians, Brits, Chinese, Romanian, even an Ex-East German that joined the Bundeswehr and took a white phosphorous IED to the face in Afghanistan.   You want Romanian ASMR? Slav cooking tips from a Lithuanian? Knitting advice from my ex-girlfriend? [SOUP] has you covered

• Cool 2

[D-H-O]
Members
39 posts
6,972 battles

Playing with the dads in DHO totally transformed my experience with this game. Not only did I get better at it (I still have a LONG wat to go on that front), but I also started enjoying it a whole lot more. The past year or so has been one of the most fun experiences I've had with a group of people digitally since my hardcore Warcraft days in college. It not just because of Warships either. I hop into discord even when I'm playing something else just to hangout and cheer on the guys when matches are won. The fact that we're all dads dealing with the same kid [edited] helps too... 

My favorite night in gaming EVER is probably the night that 2 clan buddies and I played the first night of Clan Brawls back in June. The three of us played the whole night, from the time it started until it was over. We won a few more than we lost, laughed, joked, made fun of ourselves, drank A LOT of beer, and just had this amazing time in game. It was pretty much the perfect storm of awesome. 

Many people don't think about community in games like WoWs, I know, I was one of them. Ever since joining up with the right group of folks though, my opinion has totally changed. This game is at its best when you're hanging out in discord with your division mates. 

Here's hoping that those of you that haven't found the right community, whether that's in or out of game, find the right landing spot too! 

Cheers,

Sevari

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[BRO1]
Members
117 posts
10,333 battles

My clan BRO1 has been around for about 3 years now. The clan is named after my old Army unit, the Big Red One or the 1st Infantry Division.

It's been an ongoing process to keep members interested since it's so difficult to get Tier X ships. At any rate, we all keep grinding.

Edited by Lew_Patton

[-REK-]
[-REK-]
Members
77 posts
20,583 battles

Let's just say I'm still trying to find mines. After retiring in 2013 from Navy, newly divorced at that time, being single Dad and making my son & daughter my number one priority. I was still gaming i left wow to wot and join good Clan of Vets, but wot just got toxic over time and I stray right into wows staying with Vets clan, but not to many from wot side played ships so it was empty atmosphere. None of my old Navy friends played and none of my old friends played so i was always a loner trying to find that guild or clan with like minded peeps. So I started MMR1 Main Machinery Room One, it's a work in progress (only plug lol, just kidding). Here we are today, a civitator 9-5 job, re married, own a house, my daughter is going off to college next week and I'm still playing wows. I've made good contacts via twitch (some awesome and helpful peeps) , discord and other social media sources, which have drawn my interest into streaming. So will see in near future. 

• Cool 2

[APAC-]
Members
10 posts
10,543 battles

i started playing since the first day of the open beta back in 2015. I watched an E3 wows trailer and get fascinated at all.  a few month later i received a mail telling that the game  was ready to download and the same day i downloaded and started to play. The same day get to tier 5 and reached IJN Kongo, a battleship i felt in love with. it was so fast, so acurate, and so deadly, i never could stop loving that ship.i was 17 that time, now im 23 and still love playing as the first day, and this year i found a magnificent clan to be part of [ADN] (american dream's nightmare xD) 

a bunch of latinos  like me, an argentinean playing for fun, and now focused on break the floor on clan battles and earn all steel we can.

dor my part this year i started streaming  on twitch. i want to be more than a normal player now. i want  to grow into the game. for that, i have to grow in my spanish speaking commuity first, and i'm doing so. in a future, i hope we can work together, Hapa, Mademosail, and the rest of WG stuff <3

JulianHeafy on twitch and Youtube if you speack spanish and want to know more about me <3

• Cool 1

[WG]
Developers
24 posts
88 battles

I realize that this will go off on a slight tangent, but it's still intimately connected to playing (though mostly working on) World of Warships.

On September 15th i will have been working for the Wargaming group for 8.5 years and on September 17th World of Warships, on which I've worked as a producer since pre-alpha, will turn 5 years old (in post-release years). This seems like a very long time, but honestly it feels like March 2012 was just yesterday and in that time I've met many people who have managed to permanently reformat a part of who I am, both as an industry professional and as a person. Some of them don't work for the company anymore, while with some of them i often have to get into arguments (sometimes heated) over Ships stuff, but the relationships we've built together are stronger than that. I am blessed to be able to call them mentor, friend or even BFF.

I sincerely wish this experience for everyone - in the WoWS community as IRL.

:cap_like:

• Cool 2

Members
211 posts
10,837 battles

My WoWs community is me.  I don’t know anyone else who plays. No one knows I play, except you lot, I guess. I don’t let my wife know or anybody else. That’s why I’m not in a clan: my wife would hear me talking (yes, we live in a small house). I want to trick them into respecting me. I’m a grown man for crying out loud.

0 posts

Serving during the Cold War would be the foundation to maintaining long lasting professional relationships, partnerships, and opening doors into engineering after leaving the military.  Being in Ordnance, we crossed paths with just about every aspect of the military, across every branch of Department of Defense. The list of activities we've been assigned to, attached to, temporary duty, permanent party-- too many to remember. Our mission under AMD was broad and impacted all major commands, subordinates, and forward units.

Most, if not all of us today, started as friends serving in Germany ( https://www.usarmygermany.com/ )

Those of us that are connected to this day, worked tirelessly in the European theater, state-side, and abroad of various followup details. The treaty that paved the way for reduction in nuclear arms, Intermediate Nuclear Forces (INF), would solidify the community we worked within, often finding one another participating in unrelated projects, yet still sensitive in nature.  At some point, each of us eventually peeled off, leaving those industry sectors to chart different paths. 

Electronics has always been a passion, and long before someone coined the term 'Internet', Engineering became a staple along my path. Ironically, crossing paths with past friends, collaborating on cutting edge technology, contracts, and testing emerging software.  While those adventures were fun, nonetheless, big tech back in the day was not a conducive environment to create lasting friends, or acquaintances for that matter. I cut my teeth on satellite technology, manufacturing, diagnostics, and telemetry during this time. Toooooo busy for anything else.

Anyways, I digressed.  

At this point, software development and testing became lucrative, and the community of friends introduced me to software stressing--breaking routines and getting paid to break it. (LOL). Long days of setting up UUTs, authoring scripts, and analyzing failures, eventually we'd call it day (night, actually) and engage in what was essentially LAN party in the office.

Then we entered beta for World of Tanks--, World of Warplanes--, and then alpha for World of Warships. Almost immediately, those past clans jumped into deep waters, joined ranks, and sailed into history, watching Warships gain steam.  That community sustained me through two computer science degrees, raising my family, and evolving the community, creating lasting memories, and solidifying our friendships and professional relationships.

Integrity and selflessness has always proven to be our communities platform, stepping up, helping out, maintain our focus, even in the heat of a discussion. Most importantly, putting the team first, supporting individual members as needed, and ultimately-- effective listening, feedback, and remembering there is no EYE (I) in TEAM.

Sign in to follow this