You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Vladivostok Tactics In Ranked?

4 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
3,915 posts
9,032 battles

While admittedly I'm generally more comfortable with USN battleships than anything else, I insisted on mainly using Vladivostok this ranked season primarily because I want to work on a silver line as opposed to accumulating elite xp which I can't access anytime soon (I also only have a standard BB build captain for her, as opposed to a secondary-focused one).

With that being said, I find that I am having some troubles with it above rank 10, so I'm asking for how to sail Vladivostok in ranked, especially when attempting to counter brawling battleships.

It's true that Vladivostok when angled or bow-on is incredibly durable, but I find its side armor to be quite lacking, so when a brawling BB like any of the German BBs or Massachusetts comes bearing down on me, I find it difficult to counter other than kiting away. The problem, I find, is often that such tactics may lead to me being gradually forced out of position. Stay bow-on and I fear that even if I switch to HE I won't manage to burn down said rushing BB in time before he gets on my broadside and blows me away, kite away and I end up being forced away from being able to aid the rest of my team with adequate speed. And turning even to something like a 30-40 degree angle when there are enemy BBs about is always a gamble in whether or not they give me a paddling. I fear brawling is basically a no-no with Vladivostok unless the enemy team decides to all attack from one angle.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,166 posts
13,463 battles

While bow-in tanking seems to be most players approach to Vladivostok, you may actually find that setting up in a similar support position, but angled 3/4 away will allow you to still tank relatively well, but also provide access to all guns on target, as well as an easy escape plan if your flank collapses.  The key is to just set up in a way where you can cover a good portion of the map while still keeping your broadside away from any flanking targets.

Vlad has excellent firing angles on her guns, so you can maintain a pretty sharp angle while still bringing all guns to bear.  Bow-in, while also strong, reduces your firepower by 1/3rd, so its a compromised position.

• Cool 1

Members
650 posts
39 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

While bow-in tanking seems to be most players approach to Vladivostok, you may actually find that setting up in a similar support position, but angled 3/4 away will allow you to still tank relatively well, but also provide access to all guns on target, as well as an easy escape plan if your flank collapses.  The key is to just set up in a way where you can cover a good portion of the map while still keeping your broadside away from any flanking targets.

Vlad has excellent firing angles on her guns, so you can maintain a pretty sharp angle while still bringing all guns to bear.  Bow-in, while also strong, reduces your firepower by 1/3rd, so its a compromised position. 

Exactly this.