You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half

Is FDG as fun as Bismarck?

21 comments in this topic

Members
32 posts
2,660 battles

I like to play my Bismarck aggressive with a full secondary build captain and I find myself having pretty good games very often. I can move up to the tier 9. However, I've heard that some people don't like the FDG as much because its enormous size makes pushing in difficult. Do you guys think that the FDG is as fun to play as the Bismarck or should I stay at tier 8 where credit earning is still in the positive.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,623 posts
22,583 battles

She has a bad reputation in the playerbase but FDG was very good to me, and that was before the buffs she's received within the last year or so.

The guns aren't any more accurate than what you dealt with in Bismarck.

- Move up to 406mm / 420mm guns with better Overmatching performance than the 380s.  Did you ever get tired of High Tier USN & German CAs face tanking your 380mm AP?  With 406 / 420mm, they can't anymore.  You'll Overmatch.

- FDG fires faster, especially if you stick to the 406mm guns and slot MBM3.  The reload of the 406s drop to 22.8 seconds.  As I said, she's not more accurate than what you saw with Bismarck, but FDG has the reload to try again sooner, and with bigger guns that Cruisers just can't easily mitigate like they did the 380s.

Enormous size?  LOL all Battleships are enormous! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 4

[DRAH]
Members
336 posts
8,443 battles

Sadly no, she is just too big and clumsy compared to the Bismark.

[PN]
Members
104 posts
4,997 battles

I Loved FDG on my first play through of her; More so then bismarck. Granted this was back on their release and its a completely different game nowadays. That being said the few times i take her out i still find her enjoyable. Gemeran ships are always a ton of fun and her 406s are pretty nice. Secondary build again is more of a meme but still a ton of fun if you like to be really aggressive. Play it well and you will have fun in it

[-DZ-]
Members
27 posts
10,035 battles

the first 4 nations are somewhat outdated when it comes to all the new Premium/Coal/Steel and evenTechtree ships. Sure Wargaming says they keep an eye out for when somethings changes in the statistics ... but quite frankly ... u make money with new stuff where u only make a "minority" happy in the the playerbase in fixing the old stuff.

and i hardly play BB anymore ... i stay more with CAs ... better DMG output ... better AA ... better dodge capability against torps and even CV Squads, better survivability tools like hydro/FAA/Radar/Torps/Smoke when it comes to Random Games. Clanbattles or Ranked is different but all in all i would stay away from the German BB Techtree

Edited by Bleispucker

[90THF]
Beta Testers
132 posts
10,036 battles

Short answer...No...nothing like Bismarck. She is extremely large with poor maneuverability. Bismarck is a fun ship. FDG is a painful grind. And she catches fire like crazy. Especially if you are running a secondary build without Fire Prevention.

[FAE]
Members
2,584 posts
3,402 battles

She's extraordinarily clumsy. (Along with GK) 

I think both FDG and GK should get a turning buff. And GK esp should get a turret angle buff. 

[UN1]
Members
1,060 posts
3,396 battles
3 hours ago, Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half said:

I like to play my Bismarck aggressive with a full secondary build captain and I find myself having pretty good games very often. I can move up to the tier 9. However, I've heard that some people don't like the FDG as much because its enormous size makes pushing in difficult. Do you guys think that the FDG is as fun to play as the Bismarck or should I stay at tier 8 where credit earning is still in the positive.

Thanks to vastly improved firing angles, the FdG is technically a much better secondary brawler. The downside is that she's T9 and it's just a lot tougher to make secondary builds work at that tier. She's also the closest thing to no-fly zone AA in a full secondary build, bit because she's T9 she doesn't see CVs nearly as often.

I got so fed up with it that I changed to full survival, but in doing so I discovered she's a monster in that build. 

[WOLF9]
Members
301 posts
7,705 battles

Just bought mine this week & so far....NOOOOO!  Will have the range extended this weekend, but I'm not hopeful that will help.

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
392 posts
9,926 battles

I am currently grinding the FDG. Is it as enjoyable as Bismarck? No.

Is it still a fun boat I am enjoying playing? Very much yes.

Ran secondary builds on both. If I want standard Tanky BB play I have other lines I can use.

IMO secondary builds work better at lower tiers so Bismarck was better.

[FML]
Members
3,728 posts
14,850 battles
5 hours ago, Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half said:

I thought the Bismarck was OK, but I did not enjoy the FdG when I played her (which was soon after the German BB line was introduced).  Personally, I had the most fun in the Gneisenau due to its speed, secondaries and torps.  

The main problem with the FdG is that it just eats tons of full pen damage for days - sure, getting citted in pretty rare, but what does it matter when heavy cruisers nail you for 8-12k per salvo twice as fast as you can reload anyway?

Members
402 posts
3,800 battles

horizontal armor seems tailor made to eat penetration when you show some side in an attempt to bring more secondary guns to shoot (a recurrent problem on high tier german BBs but specialy bad with the FDG) so unless you enjoy eating 20k AP salvos FDG is not the best ship out there for a secondary build.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,040 posts
18,146 battles

German BBs Konig and up, are all fun to play albeit there are minor difference on the playstile.

May be the only outliner is Gneisnau. Being faster and nimbler.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,013 posts
16,141 battles

The 'Freddie' was the only German battleship I didn't like. I honestly just couldn't get the hang of it and never connected with it. Hell, I even liked the much maligned PEF and had fun with it. The FDG and I just never clicked. Scharnhorst, Bismark, Tirpitz, Odin, GK, all good for me at least. 

I hear the buffs it got last year helped though. Good luck. 

[NMKJT]
Members
2,550 posts
6,983 battles

She's pretty fun, especially after the buffs. Unlike Biscuit, the 27mm cruisers can't just laugh and torp rush her for free. While it's true she's a lot fatter, if fat BBs are a problem for you you should probably turn back from high tier BBs, because almost all of them are like that to some degree.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
1,919 posts
24,172 battles
10 hours ago, Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half said:

Nope, it is not.  Bismarck is a lot more fun imo.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,386 posts
7,350 battles
14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

She has a bad reputation in the playerbase but FDG was very good to me, and that was before the buffs she's received within the last year or so.

The guns aren't any more accurate than what you dealt with in Bismarck.

- Move up to 406mm / 420mm guns with better Overmatching performance than the 380s.  Did you ever get tired of High Tier USN & German CAs face tanking your 380mm AP?  With 406 / 420mm, they can't anymore.  You'll Overmatch.

- FDG fires faster, especially if you stick to the 406mm guns and slot MBM3.  The reload of the 406s drop to 22.8 seconds.  As I said, she's not more accurate than what you saw with Bismarck, but FDG has the reload to try again sooner, and with bigger guns that Cruisers just can't easily mitigate like they did the 380s.

Enormous size?  LOL all Battleships are enormous! :Smile_teethhappy:

I didn't mind FdG, (and looking back, did better than I thought I was at the time) but the handling wasn't even close to comparable.

Of course, FdG was my first T9 BB, and since then, I have experience with a few more, and am learning how to deal with the lessened maneuverability that I've discovered is common to all T9-10 BBs.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,861 posts
8,823 battles

> Is FDG as fun as Bismarck?

Short answer: no

Long answer: hell no

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,481 posts
15 hours ago, Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half said:

I would say objectively it is slightly worse for the reasons you stated, but its not a terrible ship, and leads to the GK... which is THE secondary build meme ship.