Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Need help setting the Weser

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,206
[TDRB]
Members
5,325 posts
13,743 battles

How do you set up the Weser? Which modules & commander skills do you recommend?

I do not know a thing about CV's but I gotta try a new ship.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
6 hours ago, kgh52 said:

How do you set up the Weser? Which modules & commander skills do you recommend?

I do not know a thing about CV's but I gotta try a new ship.

 

CV Role (Credit to @UltimateNewbie):

Ship Type

Primary role(s)

Counter-play

CV/Aircraft Carrier

Examples:

  • USN Carrier line, ending in Midway,
  • IJN Carrier line, ending in Hakuryu
  • UK Carrier line, ending in Audacious
  • German Carrier line, ending in Richthofen

Use relatively fast strike aircraft to deliver repeated DoT attacks on lonely enemy ships, either destroyers (with rocket planes) or battleships (with dive and/or torpedo bombers). 

Early game, spot enemy fleet disposition and (particularly) location of enemy destroyers.  Later, support friendly light cruiser/gunboat DD attacks on enemy capital ships by prioritising targets that have recently used DCP and/or forcing ships to use DCP when they dont have hard cover easily accessible making them vulnerable to your team's light cruisers/gunboat DDs. 

Avoid cruisers with Def AA whenever possible.  Avoid attacking groups of ships with shared AA bubbles whenever possible (though spotting is valid).

Stay alive through paranoid map awareness and good positioning behind hard cover, but not too far away from main fight to reduce flight transit times to your targets.

Do not ever be alone.  Use teamwork to share AA by driving within friendly ship's AA bubbles (usually about 4-5km).  

Although less likely to prevent the first attack, repeated plane losses will deter further attacks and will ultimately degrade performance of enemy carrier to benefit of the entire team.  

Dodge dropped ordinance by extreme manoeuvre, effective for all ship types to at least a reasonable degree.  Proper management of DCP and Repair Party.  

Before battle, set up your ship and captain to strengthen AA and/or resist fire damage; mount flags. 

If you are a destroyer, play with your AA turned off most of the time - only switch it on when the enemy planes have already spotted you (~2.5-3km) as it gives the CV less time to line you up for a strike.  Try to drive towards the planes if you cannot avoid/escape them to further reduce aiming time.  Remember to switch off your AA again when the strike is complete, then repeat above steps.  

Watch this video:

 

I highly recommend you take the Weser in a training room or co-op first because random will be very challenging if you haven't used a CV before. Also, Weser is unlike the other CVs in that you use torpedoes to kill destroyers, and rockets should be used on cruisers and only broadside. For these reasons, I consider it to be the most difficult of the CVs to be good at.

Upgrades:

527411708_upgradesweser.png.cc75f8a8b34df6f785c06e194c6dcb48.png

Captain Skills:

1060459217_Wesercaptainskills.thumb.png.fa65a68ca7db3ae26a43a891212c8e85.png

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
468
[BTLST]
Members
774 posts
11,902 battles

ACTUALLY I'd very much appreciate seeing how to set up all 3 of the new German carrier's that were just in the giveaway/earn them contest.    I like you have never even touched a CV before and may not yet, but would like to have them set up and ready to go if I get an urge.  THANKS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,837
[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

I don't play a lot of carrier but I dabble. Hosho, Audacious, Saipan, Rhein are in my port for occasional use. I played 4 games in Weser last week. It's so unlike the Japanese and American carriers. It seems the planes are extremely suseptible to damage too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
6 hours ago, kgh52 said:

How do you set up the Weser? Which modules & commander skills do you recommend?

I do not know a thing about CV's but I gotta try a new ship.

 

 

19 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

ACTUALLY I'd very much appreciate seeing how to set up all 3 of the new German carrier's that were just in the giveaway/earn them contest.    I like you have never even touched a CV before and may not yet, but would like to have them set up and ready to go if I get an urge.  THANKS!

I just want to stress again that it is definitely the hardest CV line to play. In their current form, the tier 8 and 10 German CVs will have a harder time against competent players, which will usually be in that tier.

"Just Dodge" is actually a pretty accurate description of the counter-play against this line.

Less BM, More GG Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,932
[RLGN]
Members
16,229 posts
28,105 battles
8 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Also, Weser is unlike the other CVs in that you use torpedoes to kill destroyers, and rockets should be used on cruisers and only broadside. For these reasons, I consider it to be the most difficult of the CVs to be good at.

Not sure about that atm; spent more time attacking with torpedoes than anything else when I tested Weser; and the biggest game I had was a battleship kill by torps, and a destroyer and the other carrier by secondaries. (Co-op.)

Hitting bot DDs with torpedoes is easy; players? Don’t exactly have and faith in that happening with any regularity, unless the driver is an idiot, or unlucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
13 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure about that atm; spent more time attacking with torpedoes than anything else when I tested Weser; and the biggest game I had was a battleship kill by torps, and a destroyer and the other carrier by secondaries. (Co-op.)

Hitting bot DDs with torpedoes is easy; players? Don’t exactly have and faith in that happening with any regularity, unless the driver is an idiot, or unlucky.

I don't play against bots. The torps are designed to hit destroyers and I'm getting hits a decent percent of the time. Random battles at that tier, you don't really run into any good players, and most don't think you can hit them anyways.

The AP bombs are disgustingly good because of that reason too. And yeah I get a fair number of close quarter experts with it too. Once a DD is about 20% health, I'm usually running and dodging so the secondaries finish him off from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,932
[RLGN]
Members
16,229 posts
28,105 battles
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

I don't play against bots. The torps are designed to hit destroyers and I'm getting hits a decent percent of the time. Random battles at that tier, you don't really run into any good players, and most don't think you can hit them anyways.

The AP bombs are disgustingly good because of that reason too. And yeah I get a fair number of close quarter experts with it too. Once a DD is about 20% health, I'm usually running and dodging so the secondaries finish him off from there.

Maybe I’m just too much a geezer player.

A destroyer getting hit by carrier torpedoes, especially one of those pathetic two fish IJN drops, should be ashamed of themselves.

I got the Rhein mission Wednesday night. Should have it unlocked by tonight. I’ll need to pay more attention to torpies versus DDs and see what’s what.

On a related note; I figured it out quick enough, but the new KM bomb drop is a bigger PITA than Zeppy’s is. I rather try to hit things with that (equally stupid to the torpedo drop) two bomb IJN attack.

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[FFG30]
Members
123 posts
6,603 battles

I got my weser today. I also have problem setting up the third and fourth slots. I got my 4th kill by crashing into a BB in Coop.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,117
[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,172 battles
On 7/31/2020 at 8:12 AM, Merc_R_Us said:

CV Role (Credit to @UltimateNewbie):

Ship Type

Primary role(s)

Counter-play

CV/Aircraft Carrier

Examples:

  • USN Carrier line, ending in Midway,
  • IJN Carrier line, ending in Hakuryu
  • UK Carrier line, ending in Audacious
  • German Carrier line, ending in Richthofen

Use relatively fast strike aircraft to deliver repeated DoT attacks on lonely enemy ships, either destroyers (with rocket planes) or battleships (with dive and/or torpedo bombers). 

Early game, spot enemy fleet disposition and (particularly) location of enemy destroyers.  Later, support friendly light cruiser/gunboat DD attacks on enemy capital ships by prioritising targets that have recently used DCP and/or forcing ships to use DCP when they dont have hard cover easily accessible making them vulnerable to your team's light cruisers/gunboat DDs. 

Avoid cruisers with Def AA whenever possible.  Avoid attacking groups of ships with shared AA bubbles whenever possible (though spotting is valid).

Stay alive through paranoid map awareness and good positioning behind hard cover, but not too far away from main fight to reduce flight transit times to your targets.

Do not ever be alone.  Use teamwork to share AA by driving within friendly ship's AA bubbles (usually about 4-5km).  

Although less likely to prevent the first attack, repeated plane losses will deter further attacks and will ultimately degrade performance of enemy carrier to benefit of the entire team.  

Dodge dropped ordinance by extreme manoeuvre, effective for all ship types to at least a reasonable degree.  Proper management of DCP and Repair Party.  

Before battle, set up your ship and captain to strengthen AA and/or resist fire damage; mount flags. 

If you are a destroyer, play with your AA turned off most of the time - only switch it on when the enemy planes have already spotted you (~2.5-3km) as it gives the CV less time to line you up for a strike.  Try to drive towards the planes if you cannot avoid/escape them to further reduce aiming time.  Remember to switch off your AA again when the strike is complete, then repeat above steps.  

Watch this video:

 

I highly recommend you take the Weser in a training room or co-op first because random will be very challenging if you haven't used a CV before. Also, Weser is unlike the other CVs in that you use torpedoes to kill destroyers, and rockets should be used on cruisers and only broadside. For these reasons, I consider it to be the most difficult of the CVs to be good at.

Upgrades:

527411708_upgradesweser.png.cc75f8a8b34df6f785c06e194c6dcb48.png

Captain Skills:

1060459217_Wesercaptainskills.thumb.png.fa65a68ca7db3ae26a43a891212c8e85.png

Upgrades look good.

I dont think the Germans NEED aim stabilization...I would take AFT instead. I would also drop somethings to get concealment expert...Richtofen can almost stealth fire her secondaries...

My captain build will be:

Aircraft Servicing

Aircraft speed

Survivability Expert

Aircraft Armor

Engine Boost

Advanced Firing Training

Concealment Expert

Last gasp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,356
[RBMK]
Members
2,266 posts
36,392 battles
On 7/31/2020 at 1:46 AM, kgh52 said:

How do you set up the Weser? Which modules & commander skills do you recommend?

I do not know a thing about CV's but I gotta try a new ship.

 

Here’s my setup now that it is in my port:

wait til 9.8 and click “Sell”

  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Upgrades look good.

I dont think the Germans NEED aim stabilization...I would take AFT instead. I would also drop somethings to get concealment expert...Richtofen can almost stealth fire her secondaries...

My captain build will be:

Aircraft Servicing

Aircraft speed

Survivability Expert

Aircraft Armor

Engine Boost

Advanced Firing Training

Concealment Expert

Last gasp

I like it for the torpedo planes specifically. Helps on torping DDs as the planes have pretty turn radius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4 posts
1,771 battles

Put everything about survivability and aircraft recovery. This thing has paper planes, little air groups with rather long recovery time. The aircraft is effective, but gets shutted down easily. I can make to the end of a tier VIII game quite nice with the other tier VI CV, but in the Weser I almost have no aircraft (specially when high tier american CL are around). And I bet the rest of the line goes on the same trend.

Here are some things I do:

- Start with torpedo bombers and drop on lolibotes. They may not hit but they will put them out of position, hopefully your allies can make short work of them

- Know what you can citadel and what you can't with dive bombers. Tier VII and VIII german and russian BB's are inmediatly out of the menu. Colorado as well (I can citadel a Massachussets but not a Colorado). The rest of BB's are good targets (just watch out for AA). Altough you'll be using most of your matches attack aircraft for cruisers, dive bombers may do well against CA.

- Torpedo Bombers are fast and nimble. They are your only source of damage against DD's and BB's you can't cit. But they are fragile and have long recovery time, also their torpedo damage is low. Use them mainly to harass DD's and only go for BB's when DD danger is off (because BB's AA will shut down half of your squadron)

- Attack Aircraft are the gimmick of german CV's. With AP rockets, going for DD's will result in overpens and going for BB's will result in non-penetrations. So, go for cruisers, preferably CL, you can literally farm citadels on them. And since they are useless to BB's and DD's, use them to rush CV's (you can land citadels on them too) . At tier VIII cruiser and carrier AA are pretty much equally devastating for your origami planes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×