Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Need help setting the Weser

9 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
4,551 posts
12,778 battles

How do you set up the Weser? Which modules & commander skills do you recommend?

I do not know a thing about CV's but I gotta try a new ship.

• Meh 1

[TBB]
Members
375 posts
3,535 battles
6 hours ago, kgh52 said:

CV Role (Credit to @UltimateNewbie):

Ship Type

Primary role(s)

Counter-play

CV/Aircraft Carrier

Examples:

• USN Carrier line, ending in Midway,
  • IJN Carrier line, ending in Hakuryu
  • UK Carrier line, ending in Audacious
  • German Carrier line, ending in Richthofen

Use relatively fast strike aircraft to deliver repeated DoT attacks on lonely enemy ships, either destroyers (with rocket planes) or battleships (with dive and/or torpedo bombers). 

Early game, spot enemy fleet disposition and (particularly) location of enemy destroyers.  Later, support friendly light cruiser/gunboat DD attacks on enemy capital ships by prioritising targets that have recently used DCP and/or forcing ships to use DCP when they dont have hard cover easily accessible making them vulnerable to your team's light cruisers/gunboat DDs. 

Avoid cruisers with Def AA whenever possible.  Avoid attacking groups of ships with shared AA bubbles whenever possible (though spotting is valid).

Stay alive through paranoid map awareness and good positioning behind hard cover, but not too far away from main fight to reduce flight transit times to your targets.

Do not ever be alone.  Use teamwork to share AA by driving within friendly ship's AA bubbles (usually about 4-5km).  

Although less likely to prevent the first attack, repeated plane losses will deter further attacks and will ultimately degrade performance of enemy carrier to benefit of the entire team.  

Dodge dropped ordinance by extreme manoeuvre, effective for all ship types to at least a reasonable degree.  Proper management of DCP and Repair Party.  

Before battle, set up your ship and captain to strengthen AA and/or resist fire damage; mount flags. 

If you are a destroyer, play with your AA turned off most of the time - only switch it on when the enemy planes have already spotted you (~2.5-3km) as it gives the CV less time to line you up for a strike.  Try to drive towards the planes if you cannot avoid/escape them to further reduce aiming time.  Remember to switch off your AA again when the strike is complete, then repeat above steps.  

Watch this video:

I highly recommend you take the Weser in a training room or co-op first because random will be very challenging if you haven't used a CV before. Also, Weser is unlike the other CVs in that you use torpedoes to kill destroyers, and rockets should be used on cruisers and only broadside. For these reasons, I consider it to be the most difficult of the CVs to be good at.

Upgrades:

527411708_upgradesweser.png.cc75f8a8b34df6f785c06e194c6dcb48.png

Captain Skills:

1060459217_Wesercaptainskills.thumb.png.fa65a68ca7db3ae26a43a891212c8e85.png

• Cool 1

[BTLST]
Members
578 posts
8,678 battles

ACTUALLY I'd very much appreciate seeing how to set up all 3 of the new German carrier's that were just in the giveaway/earn them contest.    I like you have never even touched a CV before and may not yet, but would like to have them set up and ready to go if I get an urge.  THANKS!

[SIDE]
Members
4,109 posts

I don't play a lot of carrier but I dabble. Hosho, Audacious, Saipan, Rhein are in my port for occasional use. I played 4 games in Weser last week. It's so unlike the Japanese and American carriers. It seems the planes are extremely suseptible to damage too.

[TBB]
Members
375 posts
3,535 battles
6 hours ago, kgh52 said:

19 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

ACTUALLY I'd very much appreciate seeing how to set up all 3 of the new German carrier's that were just in the giveaway/earn them contest.    I like you have never even touched a CV before and may not yet, but would like to have them set up and ready to go if I get an urge.  THANKS!

I just want to stress again that it is definitely the hardest CV line to play. In their current form, the tier 8 and 10 German CVs will have a harder time against competent players, which will usually be in that tier.

"Just Dodge" is actually a pretty accurate description of the counter-play against this line.

Less BM, More GG Good Luck!

[RLGN]
Members
13,725 posts
23,946 battles
8 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Also, Weser is unlike the other CVs in that you use torpedoes to kill destroyers, and rockets should be used on cruisers and only broadside. For these reasons, I consider it to be the most difficult of the CVs to be good at.

Not sure about that atm; spent more time attacking with torpedoes than anything else when I tested Weser; and the biggest game I had was a battleship kill by torps, and a destroyer and the other carrier by secondaries. (Co-op.)

Hitting bot DDs with torpedoes is easy; players? Don’t exactly have and faith in that happening with any regularity, unless the driver is an idiot, or unlucky.

[TBB]
Members
375 posts
3,535 battles
13 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure about that atm; spent more time attacking with torpedoes than anything else when I tested Weser; and the biggest game I had was a battleship kill by torps, and a destroyer and the other carrier by secondaries. (Co-op.)

Hitting bot DDs with torpedoes is easy; players? Don’t exactly have and faith in that happening with any regularity, unless the driver is an idiot, or unlucky.

I don't play against bots. The torps are designed to hit destroyers and I'm getting hits a decent percent of the time. Random battles at that tier, you don't really run into any good players, and most don't think you can hit them anyways.

The AP bombs are disgustingly good because of that reason too. And yeah I get a fair number of close quarter experts with it too. Once a DD is about 20% health, I'm usually running and dodging so the secondaries finish him off from there.

[RLGN]
Members
13,725 posts
23,946 battles
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

I don't play against bots. The torps are designed to hit destroyers and I'm getting hits a decent percent of the time. Random battles at that tier, you don't really run into any good players, and most don't think you can hit them anyways.

The AP bombs are disgustingly good because of that reason too. And yeah I get a fair number of close quarter experts with it too. Once a DD is about 20% health, I'm usually running and dodging so the secondaries finish him off from there.

Maybe I’m just too much a geezer player.

A destroyer getting hit by carrier torpedoes, especially one of those pathetic two fish IJN drops, should be ashamed of themselves.

I got the Rhein mission Wednesday night. Should have it unlocked by tonight. I’ll need to pay more attention to torpies versus DDs and see what’s what.

On a related note; I figured it out quick enough, but the new KM bomb drop is a bigger PITA than Zeppy’s is. I rather try to hit things with that (equally stupid to the torpedo drop) two bomb IJN attack.

Sign in to follow this