You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CankedTank

Help me Pick a Coal-Ship: Georgia or Thunderer? Or Something else?

Which ship do you think I should get now, or should I save my coal?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Pick whichever ship you would pick today, if you could pick only one! Or tell me to save it, if you think that's better!

• Georgia.
    • Thunderer.
    • Marceau.
    • Yoshino.
    • Salem.
    • Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya.
    • Blyskawica.
    • Keep your coal for now.
    • Anshan.
    • Marblehead.

14 comments in this topic

[588]
Members
33 posts
4,278 battles

Hey all,

I'm just looking to get a feel for what people think is the best option.  My stats are public, so you can see that I'm a mediocre/middling player.  I play every class these days, CVs the least by far.  I've got enough coal for any one of the top-tier armory ships right now.  I hear the Georgia is really good, nice guns and good secondaries.  I've also heard that the Thunderer is an excellent investment, and possibly OP.  I don't know what coal ships people are expecting to be released in the near (3-6 months) future, so I don't know if it's worth saving my coal.  I still have my coupon thankfully, so that'll help me reduce the cost of whatever I choose somewhat.  Right now I play German BBs, German DDs, French BBs, and American Cruisers, and French DDs the most.  I'm pretty flexible, just not necessarily great.  I thankfully got Nelson and Mushashi for free XP.

[PISD]
Members
1,099 posts
4,965 battles

Here my opinion:

Thunderer is a great ships for sure. But, you do not seems to play that much British BB and already have a decent BB trainer in the Nelson. So while being good, it wouldn't be that useful.

Georgia is a good boat, and you do not have any captain trainer outside of the tier 4 Arkansas, so she would be more useful.

And if you goal is to have a ship usable for clan battle, the Salem will be the more useful for your team.

Members
250 posts
519 battles

I would choose Marblehead, I was supposed to get the Marblehead for a USS Iowa event but something went wrong with the codes.

Members
234 posts
4,716 battles

I would get Georgia for a few key reasons:

1. The secondaries are intense when you invest into them

2. The guns, though lacking in volume, are incredibly accurate and are high caliber (457mm)

3. It can go almost 40 knots with a speed flag and speed boost

4. Fast reloading heal great for tanking damage and pushing

With a decent captain, I really have no complaints with this ship. It can comfortably handle almost any threat provided you don't sail broadside.

Thunderer is also a great BB, but a little more passive considering it's sniper guns and lack of strong armor.

• Cool 1

Members
4,055 posts
10,060 battles

Definitely focus on the high tier ships for coal. The lower tier ones are great for collectors and some of them are decent and fun ships (I got a free Anshan from a WoWS stream raffle a few years back and have enjoyed it whenever it comes out of port), but they do take resources that are primarily geared toward buying the high tier ships. And especially when daily coal income is pretty strictly regulated (an absolute max limit of 4400, assuming the daily missions, three triple coal crates, and a maxed out coal port, excluding things like coal SCs/ranked sprints/clan brawls), spending coal on high tier ships or legendary commanders is the best bang for your buck. 

If you’re interested in battleships, Georgia and Thunderer are both great ships. Georgia is one the fastest battleships in the game with its French cruiser +20% speed boost (compared to the +8% the French battleships have), with a fast cooldown heal, good secondaries, and strong accurate guns.

Thunderer has an insane fire chance, great stealth, and very accurate guns, but it has the same weaknesses as many of the French and British BBs in its liberal coating of 32mm plating that’s susceptible to HE spam. It has a better rudder shift than a stealth Conquerer and better stealth than a UU Conq, but it doesn’t get the Conq superheal. It also has one of the best battleship reloads at high tiers - 23 seconds with the slot 6 module. 

For cruisers, Salem isn’t as valuable if you plan on grinding the DM, but has some utility in competitive. Yoshino is a different playstyle than Zao but tends to be a more passive ship due to the somewhat weaker armor. In a direct 1v1, Salem should win against any other cruiser with the zombie heal, but if coal is a limiting factor you can get pretty much the exact same playstyle (and potentially better) directly from the tech tree.

In terms of upcoming coal ships, Pommern has been confirmed for coal (old Ludendorff, t9 FdG hull with triple 380mm turrets and Tirpitz torps), and we should be getting the removed steel ships (Flint, Black, and Neustrashimy) back for coal sometime this year. Of the high tier premiums in testing that don’t have currencies, I’d expect Paolo Emilio to be RB or steel, since we have several free xp destroyers and just got a coal one recently. Slava was confirmed originally as a tech tree split, but I could see it becoming a coal ship. 

The only coal ship that’s very much at risk of removal is Georgia; it’s older, quite popular, strong for its tier, and has an available replacement in Pommern (secondary focused t9 battleships) already confirmed for the same resource. If Slava becomes a coal ship, most likely it will replace Thunderer as they’re both t10 battleships with weaker armor and accurate guns that favor long range, and Thunderer is strong, popular, and would be almost a year old by the time Slava would likely be released. Marceau and Moskva are too new to get pulled, and Salem and Yoshino are not popular or strong enough compared to similar ship performance stats to warrant removal yet. 

If you’re open to spending money on ships, get Thunderer first. If Georgia gets pulled afterward, you could always buy it directly from the shop, and it’s the cheaper one so it would take less time to grind out the required coal to get it sans coupon if it’s pulled before the reset. Otherwise get Georgia since she’s more likely to get pulled before Thunderer. If you want a cruiser, either would work depending on your desires and how and where you want to use it. I’m not a destroyer player but Marceau is supposed to be quite strong if you like the gunboat playstyle and don’t care that you don’t have smoke. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,434 posts
18,538 battles

Marblehead was always a POS, the worst of the Omaha clones.

Blys and Anshan were both developed when the game was VERY different, and have since undergone nerfs and been power crept badly.

I personally never liked Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya, personal bias on my part.

Salem is a Des Moines with some minor differences; if you like one you'll probably like the other.

Haven't played Marceau or Yoshino so no opinion.

Have Georgia, love it.

Have heard nothing but good stuff about Thunderer, though, again, have never played one.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,706 posts
19,604 battles
1 hour ago, CankedTank said:

Hey all,

I'm just looking to get a feel for what people think is the best option.  My stats are public, so you can see that I'm a mediocre/middling player.  I play every class these days, CVs the least by far.  I've got enough coal for any one of the top-tier armory ships right now.  I hear the Georgia is really good, nice guns and good secondaries.  I've also heard that the Thunderer is an excellent investment, and possibly OP.  I don't know what coal ships people are expecting to be released in the near (3-6 months) future, so I don't know if it's worth saving my coal.  I still have my coupon thankfully, so that'll help me reduce the cost of whatever I choose somewhat.  Right now I play German BBs, German DDs, French BBs, and American Cruisers, and French DDs the most.  I'm pretty flexible, just not necessarily great.  I thankfully got Nelson and Mushashi for free XP.

I have all the ships except Yoshino & Salem.

Marceau is extremely dangerous and fun to play.

Thunderer is extreme sniper with very accurate guns.

Georgia is a secondary fun ship.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
506 posts
7,181 battles

OP,  if you have your resources coupon (check the Armory), you can pick up one of the high tier ships with a good discount in coal and still might have enough to buy one of the cheaper mid tiers for full coal price if you want one of those too.   

Oh and I would say Thunderer as a tier for the sake of a snowflake event if they have those; no other reason really.  I'm looking at the Yoshino & Salem myself with the Georgia a distant third in choices but none of them are sparking any desire in me.  So I'm holding off with the Thunderer, Smolensk and Moskva as my tier 10s until I see some interesting developments or my coupon is close to being expired in December.

[V_V_V]
Members
412 posts
13,425 battles

There are some great recommendations above.

Today, I picked Georgia over Thunderer from the current leaders on your list-I already have them both.

Choose the ship to best match your wants and play style.

I recommend reading LWM's related reviews before you choose.

[POP]
Members
927 posts
8,419 battles

Georgia is an amazing ship but you cannot play her like any other USN BB and expect to do well.  Her armor is not all that great and she has terrible torpedo protection.  Don't expect to play her like a typical brawler either just because she has great secondaries.  Use her speed to kite away when outnumbered, get on the sides of ships when pushing (without over extending) or to run down lone cruisers and DD's (that have already expended torpedoes).  Her main battery can over match the bow of heavy cruisers if they try to bow tank you.  Your guns will wreck a mushashi or yammy that shows too much cheek but don't try to bow tank them and trade blow for blow.  She is my favorite T9 BB but she is definitely not for everyone.

[ICBM]
Members
737 posts
8,476 battles

I love Georgia and Thunderer. Tier for Tier Georgia is probably the better ship because of better armor and secondaries that allow her to do in-close fighting a little better, but the margin is slight. You could probably make an argument that thunderer is better becuase of its great HE, maneuverability, concealment, and healing capacity. They both have amazing AP and dispersion.

One thing to consider: you can buy GA for $$ but not Thunderer. So if you spend coal on thunderer and suddenly its announced that GA is going off the market if you have the money, you can pick up GA, too. If you buy GA for coal and suddenly thunderer is going to be pulled, there is no way to get her. Of course, if GAs admittedly-steep price is too high, then this is irrelevant. 

Edited by mrieder79

Members
2,885 posts
5,525 battles
6 hours ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Georgia is an amazing ship but you cannot play her like any other USN BB and expect to do well.  Her armor is not all that great and she has terrible torpedo protection.  Don't expect to play her like a typical brawler either just because she has great secondaries.  Use her speed to kite away when outnumbered, get on the sides of ships when pushing (without over extending) or to run down lone cruisers and DD's (that have already expended torpedoes).  Her main battery can over match the bow of heavy cruisers if they try to bow tank you.  Your guns will wreck a mushashi or yammy that shows too much cheek but don't try to bow tank them and trade blow for blow.  She is my favorite T9 BB but she is definitely not for everyone.

Yeah it is sad, but Georgia is literally capable of outrunning some same-tier destroyers.

• Cool 1

[DOW]
Members
888 posts
5,721 battles

I will prefer Georgia if I were you. As you advance to better clans, they will have damage/match and potential damage tank/match targets for BB players. The Thunderer is a sit-back-and-snipe ship, and this make it very stressful to try to tank and meet the potential/match target. In other words, good clans don't let their BB players sit back and snipe. You have to tank.

Georgia, while not as tanky as Musashi or Sov Soyuz, she is certainly a lot tankier than Thunderer, and much more capable at brawling.