Sign in to follow this  
Herr_Reitz

Turret rotation question - is this normal?

7 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,701 posts

I've been playing my Jean Bart a lot recently. I've noticed a strange sort of behavior which, logically, does not make sense to me. 

Suppose you have your turrets (When looking forward, toward the bow of a ship, port and starboard refer to the left and right sides, respectively) cranked all the way to PORT (left looking forwards). They are at their maximum left turn.

Now you turn hard to starboard, all the way full starboard. At the same time, you also turn your main guns towards bow planning to rotate them full STARBOARD. 

Have you noticed, at least some of the time, the turrets sort of just stop short of full bow-on in the turn. You watch them then suddenly, as if they know you are watching, they take off where they should have been going. 

Theoretically - I think this makes sense - if a ship is dead in the water, turning the turrets from PORT to STARBOARD should take X seconds.

If the ship it turning counter to the main guns, that is the turrets are turning STARBOARD while the ship is turning PORT, would the guns take much less than X to get to full STARBOARD? Directly above, the guns and ship would look like a pair of scissors closing. 

Whereas ... if the ship and the guns are both turning hard to STARBOARD wouldn't the guns take longer to reach full STARBOARD? 

I know it's silly of course - but I've been watching turret rotations on the JB during combat and often it does not seem like a smooth, steady traverse. 

tia fyc

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,472 posts
18,553 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

as if they know you are watching,

Take off the tin-foil hat, and quit smoking that stuff; it's affecting your brain!

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,701 posts
22 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Take off the tin-foil hat, and quit smoking that stuff; it's affecting your brain!

Gave all that up 20 or more years ago... this is still the aftershock. 

Members
229 posts
5,493 battles

I have a tin foil theory about shell fire and watching too. I'll fire several salvos and don't watch and get no hits. Fire another and watch and get several. 

In physics, the observer effect is the theory that the mere observation of a phenomenon inevitably changes that phenomenon.[1] 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,472 posts
18,553 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Gave all that up 20 or more years ago

Well sure, especially if your turrets are watching you; you know all turrets report directly to the CIA!

Sign in to follow this