You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Old_Baldy_One

Win/Loss Streak Prevention Mechanic

46 comments in this topic

[SOFOP]
Members
2,341 posts
13,734 battles

A while back, I had a conversation with @LittleWhiteMouse about matchmaking and it got sidetracked to talking about a mechanic to limit losing streaks and reward win streaks.  Sadly, I can no longer find the thread, which is sad cause I think we had some up with some ideas.

Anyways, I was just thinking about ideas WG could implement to help players find the desire to keep playing, even if they experience a losing streak (and tit for tat, we'd have to give some sort of bonus to win streaks to make things fair).

Right now, I commonly hear players state that if they hit a 3-5 game losing streak, they just quit randoms/ranked and go to coop or just quit.  This is obviously not helpful to getting games quickly and hurts our population numbers.

So what sort of "buff" or "benefit" would you think would keep you inspired to keep playing amid a losing streak, or perhaps even help you break it?  On the opposite side, what do you think should be a reward for a winning streak, if anything?

Maybe, just maybe, if we come up with a good idea, we can get WGs attention with it :)  (Rigging matchmaking would not be what I would consider a good idea lol, for example)

PS Yes, this was brought to mind today when I went 2 of 9, with the last 4 being losses in which I just wasn't able to get the team to wins (the final straw being a 242k Mino game, with a couple kills and Top 5 in XP across both teams)

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 2

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
758 posts
6,102 battles

So you want to rig matchmaking once you lose a certain amount of games in a row? 

We don't need to reinvent the wheel and be different from every other game. The solution has always been to stop once you hit a losing streak. This is not unique to WoWS. 

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,341 posts
13,734 battles
15 minutes ago, mrmariokartguy said:

So you want to rig matchmaking once you lose a certain amount of games in a row? 

I actually had that listed in there as something specifically that wouldn't work, but I must have deleted it when I edited it.  It back up there now.

If you want to keep players, you should always be looking for a solution that keeps people playing, even if things aren't going their way.  More players equals more fun.  If other games encourage you to stop when losing, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to find a fair way to encourage them to stay and keep going.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 3

[KRAK]
Members
1,228 posts
14,571 battles

I have a 25% win rate in Soviet Soyuz after 63 games. What SHOULD I do ? I rank 5622 out of 5626 players in her. A rare bird indeed.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4180620752,Sovetsky-Soyuz/?order=win_rate__desc&p=57

I average 45K in her, as well as in her T8 and T7 little sisters. They are all fun.

No complaints really.

[EQRN]
Members
1,930 posts
16,171 battles
24 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I actually had that listed in there as something specifically that wouldn't work, but I must have deleted it when I edited it.  It back up there now.

If you want to keep players, you should always be looking for a solution that keeps people playing, even if things aren't going their way.  More players equals more fun.  If other games encourage you to stop when losing, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to find a fair way to encourage them to stay and keep going.

You believe you a system that forces player A to lose because player B has had a rough day will keep more players in the game?

• Cool 1

[NKOTD]
Members
152 posts
3,556 battles

:cap_popcorn:You having a winning streak ..keep playing :cap_rambo: If you find yourself always losing even your in the top 3 ..Just stop ..find something else to play always remember you don't get paid to be stress and get tired to this game alright.

• Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,341 posts
13,734 battles
2 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

You believe you a system that forces player A to lose because player B has had a rough day will keep more players in the game?

No...that is exactly what I said would not work.  You can't buff one players chances of winning at the expense of someone else losing (even if they don't know it is happening).,

Maybe just quitting for the day really is the only option.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,341 posts
13,734 battles
15 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

I have a 25% win rate in Soviet Soyuz after 63 games. What SHOULD I do ? I rank 5622 out of 5626 players in her. A rare bird indeed.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4180620752,Sovetsky-Soyuz/?order=win_rate__desc&p=57

I average 45K in her, as well as in her T8 and T7 little sisters. They are all fun.

No complaints really.

Not everyone's playstyles fits every ship.  I have a few ships that I'm pretty good in, and a few ships that, despite me "thinking" I'm playing it the way it is designed, can't seem to win in (Alaska, Riga, Conq, Halland, Colbert).  Sometimes you can overcome a cursed ship but sometimes you can't.

[-VT-]
Members
741 posts
23,829 battles
34 minutes ago, mrmariokartguy said:

We don't need to reinvent the wheel and be different from every other game. The solution has always been to stop once you hit a losing streak. This is not unique to WoWS. 

What is everyone with Tester in there title brain dead, the poster never said anything about rigging MM is just stated there was something here that he can no longer find. 

I believe he maybe talking about changing the type of ship you are playing. Keeping the same one over nd over sort of puts you in then same pool of player somehow. I drew the same brain dead CV on the team I was on three times in a row(which made me so mad I am now chat banned). I wish I would have remembered to change ship class;  recently I went 5-19 in the Perto because I went full tilt and kept playing in over and over again to see how long the streak would be.  10 loses in a row was over in under ten minutes with us only killing a average of 3 ships in that span. The team, yes I was part of it, were horrible BBs running to the back line radar ships not getting in radar range, CV that didn't think spotting was something they should "waste their time on". It was horrid. I really think that when MM picks its group of 24 the lower 1/3 buy winning percentage should be split across the team. I am not say full blown skill based MM just spread out the ones still learning or just don't care.

• Cool 1

Members
2,879 posts
5,525 battles

You could get a stacking reward buff for consecutive losses that buffs your next win. That wouldn't impact gameplay but would take some of the sting out of losing streaks.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
12,439 posts
14,132 battles
8 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

WG already does this, they just don’t tell you they do.

• Cool 4
  • Meh 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,341 posts
13,734 battles

Personally, I'd love to see respawns added, or a defending/attacking team mode like they had in space battles at one point.  You could twist this around to fit the game by simply stating that reinforcements are arriving, so that people don't think we got too far into arcade mode.  I know they tested this but I doubt they would do it this late in the game cycle.

This wouldn't do much for losing streaks but would maybe slow down steamrolls.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

[SKDSH]
Members
9 posts
17,428 battles

I recommend that if one is encountering a losing streak to drop down a few tiers for a couple of rounds to get the red-[edited]out.  Then come back and see what happens...

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
12,478 posts
34,645 battles
35 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

No...that is exactly what I said would not work.  You can't buff one players chances of winning at the expense of someone else losing (even if they don't know it is happening).,

Maybe just quitting for the day really is the only option.

Perhaps some kind of rewards --

Signals, FXP boost, etc. But then you'd have players deliberately throwing matches. 

You need a system that doesn't incentivize players to throw, while not punishing the other players in the match.....

Members
4,236 posts
9,256 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Win/Loss Streak Prevention Mechanic

By Old_Baldy_One,

A while back, I had a conversation with @LittleWhiteMouse about matchmaking and it got sidetracked to talking about a mechanic to limit losing streaks and reward win streaks.  Sadly, I can no longer find the thread, which is sad cause I think we had some up with some ideas.

Anyways, I was just thinking about ideas WG could implement to help players find the desire to keep playing, even if they experience a losing streak (and tit for tat, we'd have to give some sort of bonus to win streaks to make things fair).

Right now, I commonly hear players state that if they hit a 3-5 game losing streak, they just quit randoms/ranked and go to coop or just quit.  This is obviously not helpful to getting games quickly and hurts our population numbers.

So what sort of "buff" or "benefit" would you think would keep you inspired to keep playing amid a losing streak, or perhaps even help you break it?  On the opposite side, what do you think should be a reward for a winning streak, if anything?

Maybe, just maybe, if we come up with a good idea, we can get WGs attention with it :)  (Rigging matchmaking would not be what I would consider a good idea lol, for example)

PS Yes, this was brought to mind today when I went 2 of 9, with the last 4 being losses in which I just wasn't able to get the team to wins (the final straw being a 242k Mino game, with a couple kills and Top 5 in XP across both teams)

None.  Nothing.  Nada.

No "participation" trophies.  No putting a proverbial thumb on the scales we measure our efforts with.
Win.  Lose.  Draw.  Whatever.
Everyone plays by the same rules and no special favors.

"There's no crying in baseball."  
And there should be no crying in World of Warships, either.

• Cool 3

Members
2,879 posts
5,525 battles
47 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Perhaps some kind of rewards --

Signals, FXP boost, etc. But then you'd have players deliberately throwing matches. 

You need a system that doesn't incentivize players to throw, while not punishing the other players in the match.....

I suggested this, but I don't think it will cause players to throw - it's like getting detonated... nobody likes it, the flags are just there as a consolation for the event.

[RKLES]
Members
643 posts
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Not everyone's playstyles fits every ship.  I have a few ships that I'm pretty good in, and a few ships that, despite me "thinking" I'm playing it the way it is designed, can't seem to win in (Alaska, Riga, Conq, Halland, Colbert).  Sometimes you can overcome a cursed ship but sometimes you can't.

^^^^This, play the ships that fit your playstyle and the ones you enjoy.

Members
322 posts
23,040 battles

the possibility that playing a 7bb vs 7bb or 7dd vs 7dd,cl, ranked game by sitting in queue until other ship types show up is , nearly taken of the table. this does nothing to enhance my gaming experience

[KRAK]
Members
1,228 posts
14,571 battles

I do get discouraged, loosing matches is more normal than winning. So I get used to it for sure, have to. I still like the ships. I used to perform combat weapons alignments on them about 10 years ago. Small teams, specialized skill. On all these losses, you have to grin and bear it.

[REKTD]
Members
195 posts
8,796 battles

Definitely do not like any buffs or consolation prizes. 
I think the answer is more game modes, more choices for Scenarios, and more PVE options. If it’s not your day, or you are still learning a ship, more than Co-op as an alternative would reduce frustration for not just the struggling player, but it would also take some of the frustration out of randoms.

• Cool 1

Members
998 posts

Incentives to keep playing?

#1 Each loss adds a 5%gain to your next win rewards.{ 5 losses = 25% additional exp and credits to the following win} {{ Random / Ranked only}}

#2 10 or more losses adds  1 doubloon to the first win.{{ Random / Ranked only}}

#3 10  consecutive wins adds 10 doubloons. [ 10 wins = 10 doubloons, the next ten would add 25 doubloons} {{ Random / Ranked only}}

I don't think this would ever be even thought of by WG but one can DREAM.

• Cool 1