You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

ūüė≤Wowsers British cruiser Belfast '43, Tier VIII

48 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
3,812 posts

ST 0.9.8, new ships

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary and subject to change during testing. Any showcased features may or may not end up on the main server. The final information will be published on our game's website.

British cruiser Belfast '43, Tier VIII

Belfast 1943 represents the Town-class light cruiser as she would have appeared in the year 1943. Her model differs from the one of cruiser "Belfast" in having a higher number of dual purpose guns and AA mounts, a slightly different superstructure geometry, and a Fighter catapult. The ship is equipped with twelve 152 mm guns with powerful HE shells, a torpedo armament with the ability to launch individual torpedoes, decent concealment, a "Short-Burst Smoke Generator" consumable, and a "Surveillance Radar" consumable with the 9 km ship detection range.

Thanks to her good concealment and "Surveillance Radar" consumable, Belfast '43 can help allies in fighting for caps and hunting for destroyers. Her special Smoke Generator - with its shorter reload and smoke screen dispersion times - will be useful when there is a need to retreat, but it doesn't allow to effectively fire at targets from inside the smoke.

phpbkiePD

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/57?fbclid=IwAR0iMkjxW03R0OR0001o0ssZQ1M-2SkYdz1zMGfQHix8ZFXVWX-sgphReM8

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,036 posts
7,802 battles

Honestly, the thing that is scariest about Belfast to me is her getting the T8 upgrade slot at T7. Even if she has torps now, a "worse" smoke and being T8 may very well balance her.

Finally the premium Edinburgh I've always wanted! ...Sorta! Very sorta!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
103 posts
18 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

ST 0.9.8, new ships

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary and subject to change during testing. Any showcased features may or may not end up on the main server. The final information will be published on our game's website.

British cruiser Belfast '43, Tier VIII

Belfast 1943 represents the Town-class light cruiser as she would have appeared in the year 1943. Her model differs from the one of cruiser "Belfast" in having a higher number of dual purpose guns and AA mounts, a slightly different superstructure geometry, and a Fighter catapult. The ship is equipped with twelve 152 mm guns with powerful HE shells, a torpedo armament with the ability to launch individual torpedoes, decent concealment, a "Short-Burst Smoke Generator" consumable, and a "Surveillance Radar" consumable with the 9 km ship detection range.

Thanks to her good concealment and "Surveillance Radar" consumable, Belfast '43 can help allies in fighting for caps and hunting for destroyers. Her special Smoke Generator - with its shorter reload and smoke screen dispersion times - will be useful when there is a need to retreat, but it doesn't allow to effectively fire at targets from inside the smoke.

phpbkiePD

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/57?fbclid=IwAR0iMkjxW03R0OR0001o0ssZQ1M-2SkYdz1zMGfQHix8ZFXVWX-sgphReM8

I'd really prefer the original.As it is maybe It'll be worth having maybe not

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,967 posts
5,814 battles

Don't get me wrong. It's about damn time that the Royal Navy got a new light cruiser. It's been nearly 3 years since OG Belfast was pulled from general sale and made gamble box only by our 'most ethical' of overlords, so a new CL is welcome.

But part of me is disappointed. In all that time Wargaming has had a number of possibilities they could have explored such as the irl Minotaur/Swiftsure class, the Arethusa class. The playerbase even made suggestions for ships such as an AP only post war modernised Sheffield, Dido, or Sirius which is already in Blitz. How about a 1940 refitt HMS Curacao which could have been an intriguing low tier mini Atlanta?

So what did Wargaming come up with after nearly three years?: Another Belfast. This time aesthetically looking like an Edinburgh copy/paste. It also slings HE as well so anyone looking for a AP only RN CL trainer is still s*** out of luck. Again don't get me wrong, a new T8 RN CL is welcome and for now she doesn't look like a bad ship, but this was pretty uninspired and low effort imho. 

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 2

[RLGN]
Members
13,765 posts
23,973 battles

So, two ‚ÄėBelfast‚Äô then? The T7, and this ‚Äėnew‚Äô T8?

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
3,812 posts
37 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Honestly, the thing that is scariest about Belfast to me is her getting the T8 upgrade slot at T7. Even if she has torps now, a "worse" smoke and being T8 may very well balance her.

Finally the premium Edinburgh I've always wanted! ...Sorta! Very sorta!

:cap_cool:Frankly my friend if your That afraid of dealing with this ship at tier 7 you've got bigger problems,After all it doesn't have Smolensks Trollish armor,And I'm fairly certain you can't extend it's  range as far as the Smolensk can  nor does it have torps unlike the Smolensk! In fact every time I've seen the Belfast in game it was quickly and easily taken out,Even by myself several times and I'm really not that good a player!:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

[INTEL]
Members
12,500 posts
34,729 battles

Belfast '43: I am smokin' and flipping on my 9 km radar!

DM/Seattle/Baltimore:  flipping on my 10 km radar. 

Petra/Riga/Tallinn: Did someone say radar? 12 kms away from Belfast '43. Oh, and Petra doesn't even have a hull.

Seems like it might be fun, til you realize that it will be uptiered constantly and just be food. If I want to play a smoke ship with no armor, there's Edinburgh already.

Hard pass. 

• Cool 5

[KAPPA]
Members
3,036 posts
7,802 battles
6 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

:cap_cool:Frankly my friend if your That afraid of dealing with this ship at tier 7 you've got bigger problems,After all it doesn't have Smolensks Trollish armor,And I'm fairly certain you can't extend it's  range as far as the Smolensk can  nor does it have torps unlike the Smolensk! In fact every time I've seen the Belfast in game it was quickly and easily taken out,Even by myself several times and I'm really not that good a player!:Smile_facepalm:

Owning an OP ship doesn't make the ship perform, it's just a multiplier based on your own skill. Smolensks often get dev struck faster than the DDs can die by that logic. Even an Imperator Nicolai can fail in the wrong hands.

A good Belfast has the detection advantage basically by default due to the T8 slot, smoke, hydro, radar and HE shells. All these things combine into a nasty ship to deal with if that ship has a clue.

Is it as bad as it was before the smoke nerf? Obviously not, as a cruiser with 2km detection range while firing and a radar to spot you with was broken.

Is it as bad as it was before the IFHE and armor changes? Again, no.

But to say a ship isn't OP just because you can kill it ignores that differing situations can result in differing outcomes.

The T8 ship will likely be balanced, that said, assuming it lacks a heal. After all, Edinburgh has a super heal and is the same tier.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[WOLF8]
Members
7,142 posts
6,097 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Don't get me wrong. It's about damn time that the Royal Navy got a new light cruiser. It's been nearly 3 years since OG Belfast was pulled from general sale and made gamble box only by our 'most ethical' of overlords, so a new CL is welcome.

But part of me is disappointed. In all that time Wargaming has had a number of possibilities they could have explored such as the irl Minotaur/Swiftsure class, the Arethusa class. The playerbase even made suggestions for ships such as an AP only post war modernised Sheffield, Dido, or Sirius which is already in Blitz. How about a 1940 refitt HMS Curacao which could have been an intriguing low tier mini Atlanta?

So what did Wargaming come up with after nearly three years?: Another Belfast. This time aesthetically looking like an Edinburgh copy/paste. It also slings HE as well so anyone looking for a AP only RN CL trainer is still s*** out of luck. Again don't get me wrong, a new T8 RN CL is welcome and for now she doesn't look like a bad ship, but this was pretty uninspired and low effort imho. 

I'm thinking of jumping on this gal as soon as she's released. I always wanted Belfast, because my AL collab Belfast captain needs her namesake ship... but besides that, Belfast '43 sounds kinda fun, actually. Perhaps she might even rekindle my interest in the RN CL line, which I put on a hiatus at Fiji. Maybe it's just me, lol. 

However. WeeGee better allow the AL collab Belfast camo to be mounted on Belfast '43. That's going to be a real deal breaker for me. :Smile-angry:

Edited by Blorgh2017
  • Funny 1

[LANCE]
Members
748 posts
5,614 battles

Sounds interesting. I have the original HMS Belfast and will most likely add this to the port. Wish it didn’t have HE or the rest of the Brit CL’s did. The original reason given for them not getting it has been shot down a load of times since ... IJN Gunboat DD, Smolensk etc

While we‚Äôre at it, the RN used SAP on their 8‚ÄĚ+¬†guns so the RN CA‚Äôs should have SAP

Members
26 posts
6,293 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Well.  Now my Azur Lane Commander Belfast has a ship to look forward to.

My thoughts exactly, im just concerned about the AL collab camo

• Cool 2

[BBICT]
Members
3,738 posts
3,876 battles

Belfasts...collect them all? 

I'm wondering how many people Belfast 43 is gonna catch napping when they forget that THIS Belfast has torps when the Payfast does not... :cap_wander_2: 

I just don't know...I'm not one to complain but between this and the AL "Roma" it seems just a little lazy to me...

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,681 posts

Now if only they give me the option to put torps on my original Belfast cause you know, she had them. Now this Belfast has them so surely they are a retrofit, right? 

Just don't touch my Belfast if/when you tweak this one.

And everyone out there, there is only ONE Belfast in WoWS. Probably gonna call this one the Impostor. 

• Funny 1

[IRNBN]
Members
3,159 posts
8,499 battles
1 hour ago, 9TenSix2Eight said:

No more good ships idea wargaming?

I suppose it's better than a Swiss CV, a T9 Mongolian super cruiser, or a Luxemburg DD line. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[KNCOL]
[KNCOL]
Members
740 posts
1,641 battles

After looking at this comment section I can now say the wows forum community will never be happy and will always complain about anything and everything no matter what.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,681 posts
2 minutes ago, Koogus said:

After looking at this comment section I can now say the wows forum community will never be happy and will always complain about anything and everything no matter what.

Secret Oath saying as much you take not? 

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[VVV]
Members
2,659 posts
2 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

ÔĽŅ But part of¬†me is disappointed. In all that time Wargaming has had a number of possibilities they could have explored such as the irl Minotaur/Swiftsure class, the Arethusa class.¬†The playerbase even made suggestions for ships such as¬†an AP only post war modernised Sheffield, Dido, or Sirius which is already in Blitz. How about a 1940 refitt HMS Curacao which could have been an intriguing low tier mini Atlanta?

ÔĽŅÔĽŅÔĽŅ So what did¬†Wargaming come up with after nearly three years?: Another Belfast. This time aesthetically looking like an Edinburgh copy/paste. It also slings HE as well so anyone looking for a AP only RN CL trainer is still s*** out of luck. Again don't get me wrong, a new T8 RN CL is welcome and for now she doesn't look like a bad ship, but this was pretty uninspired and low effort imho.¬†

The reason they're doing another Belfast is that T8 premiums can be sold at a higher price than lower tier ones.

Swiftsure is T7 material at best and that would require some gimmickry (she's a Fiji except with 1/4 of the guns removed). A Dido class would be T5 most likely. Arethusa is definitely T5 (actually should replace Emerald in the tech tree at that tier, and turn Emerald into a premium). Curacao would be T4 probably. 

That and Belfast is a beloved ship, both IRL and among players who own the T7 version. WG for good reason wants a way to remove her from the "naughty list" of OP premiums without nerfing her and having to offer refunds to existing owners.

Sheffield as a T7 or 8 premium with AP only so she's a proper crew trainer would be appreciated though. Or perhaps a T7-ish Tiger class CL as a mini-Minotaur (probably Blake since an RN BB split will need the other HMS Tiger for T5). All of those other ships you mentioned at lower-tier premiums would also be nice.

Edited by Lord_Magus
  • Cool 1

Members
187 posts
1,312 battles

Looks good, but I'd rather have Sheffield than a re-do of an existing ship.

[WOLF6]
Members
432 posts
3,382 battles
7 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Now if only they give me the option to put torps on my original Belfast cause you know, she had them.

The Belfast that is currently in the game at Tier 7 depicts the ship after her post war refit that was completed in '59.  The torpedo armament was removed during the refit.

[SIM]
Members
4,726 posts
7,770 battles

Looks like a good move by WG, honestly.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,681 posts
3 hours ago, ZoomieG said:

The Belfast that is currently in the game at Tier 7 depicts the ship after her post war refit that was completed in '59.  The torpedo armament was removed during the refit.

Yes, I do remember reading about her getting the "upgrade". 

I also remember suggesting a torpedo installation as an option to the ship, say in place of another consumable. I believe the opinion of man was "what else do you want to make her even more OP? No, just no." 

So now they build a new, old version. Fine, no problems. 

Just please, please, please don't mess with the original... unless she needs a buff.

Cause power creeps, you know? :cap_haloween:

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,014 posts
16,157 battles
11 hours ago, Koogus said:

Curley Howard - quickmeme

I am unhappy with your remarks and am retreating to my safe space. Yes, this is sarcasm. 

Also, Interesting that War Gaming is releasing another Belfast. I have the original so not sure I need another one but if it's a free rewards ship then I'm in.