You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xCAMx1652

XP Calculation?

9 comments in this topic

[AOD_A]
Members
14 posts
2,564 battles

Is there a thorough guideline on how XP is calculated during ranked battles?  I ask because I have played in a few matches were my team gets absolutely decimated. I'm talking suicidal DDs and broadside cruisers dead in less than 5 minutes.  In the meantime I have the only 2 kills on the team...around 65,000 damage (nothing special) a few fires and defends.  The match was over before it started...

I look at the final stats and I am 3rd from the bottom... and a DD is in the top spot and HE DIDN'T LAST FOR 4 MINUTES!

Basically, I just want to know what I have to do in those type of matches to be able to save my star...

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,871 posts
8,831 battles
2 minutes ago, xCAMx1652 said:

I just want to know what I have to do in those type of matches to be able to save my star...

Play a DD, if you think it's unreasonably easy to get a bunch of XP in four minutes. 

• Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,346 posts
13,767 battles

From my experience, caps get a good deal of XP.  If he also took out another DD, that would be good because he probably did a high percentage of the damage that DD took.  XP gets calculated from the amount of damage you did as a percentage I believe, so 5k damage to a DD is worth more than 5k to a BB.

So if the other guys got caps and did a high percentage of damage to ships (especially DDs), even though they didn't get any kills they would still do well.

Kills are good for sure, but they aren't the flood of XP people think they should be on their own.  I've seen people get Krakens and not be in the top 3 in randoms.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
1,922 posts
24,183 battles
1 hour ago, xCAMx1652 said:

Is there a thorough guideline on how XP is calculated during ranked battles?  I ask because I have played in a few matches were my team gets absolutely decimated. I'm talking suicidal DDs and broadside cruisers dead in less than 5 minutes.  In the meantime I have the only 2 kills on the team...around 65,000 damage (nothing special) a few fires and defends.  The match was over before it started...

I look at the final stats and I am 3rd from the bottom... and a DD is in the top spot and HE DIDN'T LAST FOR 4 MINUTES!

Basically, I just want to know what I have to do in those type of matches to be able to save my star...

Here is a link that details how base xp (and credits) are calculated.   I don't see anything that says this calculation is different for ranked, but it could be I guess.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Base_Earnings

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,442 posts
18,543 battles
2 hours ago, vak_ said:

Play a DD, if you think it's unreasonably easy to get a bunch of XP in four minutes. 

I foresee many, many short matches in his future.

• Haha 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,022 posts
7,801 battles

Caps are something like 75% of a ship's health in value. Killing blows are something like 15%. Ships are worth 100%, obviously.

The big earner isn't damage numbers or killing ships, it's how much one hurts that ship. A DD and a BB, each having 20k and 100k health respectively, would require one to do 2k damage to the DD and 10k to the BB for the exact same rewards.

Thus, shooting DDs is like hitting a pinata.

• Cool 1

Members
2,886 posts
5,541 battles
12 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Caps are something like 75% of a ship's health in value. Killing blows are something like 15%. Ships are worth 100%, obviously.

The big earner isn't damage numbers or killing ships, it's how much one hurts that ship. A DD and a BB, each having 20k and 100k health respectively, would require one to do 2k damage to the DD and 10k to the BB for the exact same rewards.

Thus, shooting DDs is like hitting a pinata.

I think damage determines credit earnings, though, so doing 50% to a DD's health would give more experience, but doing 25% damage to a BB's health is probably more absolute damage and more credits.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
1,922 posts
24,183 battles
12 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Caps are 67% in value and killing is worth 10% of the ships hps.  As you said, the same damage to a DD is worth way more xp than the damage to a BB because it's based upon percentage damage.

• Cool 1