Sign in to follow this  
black_hull4

How do you %#&@ this up?

6 comments in this topic

Members
263 posts
520 battles

I just saw something so funny that I just had to put it on the forums. It was the closing stages of a battle, I was telling everyone to get in the cap because we had my Langley, a Bellerophon, and a Charleston against a Hosho. And no way are we going to catch that thing. I'm in the cap, fending off dive bombers, avoided. Good thing I have November Echo Setteseven! And that's when I see some torpedo bombers coming. I immediately think "Oh ship" because, well, it's a Langley. I put the rudder at half to starboard. I don't want to turn fully since the Langley only goes like 9 knots in a full turn-with Sierra Mike. 

But then 3 things happen at once:

1. the torpedoes are dropped so close that one actually shatters aginst my hull, and I only hear one ping
  2. my fighters come off cooldown
  3. the torpedo bombers pull up sharply to avoid crashing into the deck

The game is programmed to send planes directly back to the carrier, too far up for AA to reach. But they were already going up at 75º when turning, which means that the planes proceed to STALL OUT OVER MY CARRIER. My AA gunners blow them out of the sky as they fall. Then I send some Gulfhawks up, and they rip the remaining torpedo bombers to shreds.

This was the result(nobody else got in the cap, but my AA gunners did their job well):2136765502_2020-07-30(2).thumb.png.cf08d7621cc1ae3ee6b80c2fec5dda65.png

Edited by black_hull4
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,047 posts

is this copy paste from somewhere else?   why bold and in different font as it's not easy to read ...

• Meh 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,036 posts
7,803 battles

Nice job! Funny how often people tout other ships to be the slowest, yet don't realize just how slow poor Langley is.

• Sad 1

[CO-OP]
Members
804 posts
21,857 battles

I am missing the part of the story where you %#&@ 'd it up?  --and why try to cap, were you behind in points, did the reds had more caps and could potentially win on points?

Members
263 posts
520 battles
41 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

I am missing the part of the story where you %#&@ 'd it up?  --and why try to cap, were you behind in points, did the reds had more caps and could potentially win on points?

No, I was taking about the point where the AI CV %#&@€Ð up, dropping torpedoes so close that not only did they not arm, but forced the planes to stall out. As for your 2nd question:

6 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

I was telling everyone to get in the cap because we had my Langley, a Bellerophon, and a Charleston against a Hosho. And no way are we going to catch that thing.

Nothing we had could catch a stock Hosho, and I didn't see the point of risking aircraft to its fighters. This was also the mode where taking the enemy cap wins the game immediately. I guess it was a good decision-according to the Detailed Report screen I never lost any aircraft. When I got in the cap my team was being capped, that's how I got the Defended ribbon.

Edited by black_hull4
left detail out

Members
263 posts
520 battles
2 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Funny how often people tout other ships to be the slowest, yet don't realize just how slow poor Langley is.

Yes, 16 knots with a speed flag-still slower than every ship in the game. I always use Sierra Mike. I'm not really much support if everyone leaves me behind, it's not their fault.

Sign in to follow this