Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Thinking of buying a premium carrier - but which?

52 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,102
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,623 posts

Not so long ago I purchased the Kaga. I'm finding her to be good fun IF I stick to my game plans. As a result of playing Kaga, I've actually gotten better with Shokaku, can you believe it? 

I've cleared the USN, IJN and RN carrier lines through tier 10. I'm considering buying another premium CV but which one?  Or maybe I should hold off until any new German premium carrier arrives? Or? 

I'd like to know from those of you who play carriers, what would be the best move now, perhaps for the next few months. 

If I could, I'd like to purchase this one: 

.. but some of her features are long gone... sad... 

Anyhow, looking forward to the responses. TIA FYC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,390
[RKLES]
Members
12,439 posts
14,132 battles

If you really want an OP CV and if it gets released in the firm I faced it in. The FDR would be a choice for you if you want very OP CV. Got hit side on in my Hindy by its AP Rockets and lose staggering amounts of HP from its attack while it lost little in terms of Aircraft despite my AA upgrades and using the “O” at proper times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
324
[TF16B]
Modder
613 posts
757 battles

Sadly Enterprise is gone, wish I’d of gotten her when it was still on sale. I say wait till the new German CV’s come out, maybe they’ll get a second premium. Also, you got FDR at tier X to look forward to as well but who knows when and how that will be released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,102
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,623 posts

I suspect the FDR will be outta my price league. The Enterprise... when you say gone, as in gone from the game completely, or just not available for purchase? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
544
[POP]
Members
925 posts
8,419 battles

Kaga is probbably the best T8 premium CV  for the average player.(since big E is no longer available).  Saipan has gotten repeatedly harder to play following class wide nerfs and AA buffs and changes since 8.1.  Indomitable is easy to do damage in, kind of mind numbingly boring at points but difficult to be really impactful in.  If you want a boat that can be fun to play, requires some skill but can be useful if played correctly I'd say the GZ.  If you want a real challenge, Saipan will either make you a better CV captain or make you quit.  

If you are not set on T8, Ark Royal is a fun boat.  Planes are super easy to use which makes landing ordinance easy even for beginners.  Her plane reserves and regen make her pretty forgiving too.  If you want to preform really well in her you will have to pay more attention to positioning than other CV's due to slow plane speed with can also make you better at other CV's.  Being T6 means you get to use her and her bonuses in operations too which is nice.  

As others have noted FDR is coming out in the future however we do not yet know what resource it will require so saving up for it is more of a gamble at this point.  It's effectiveness in it's current state is up for debate as well (still a WIP ship too so that can go either way).  I have played with and against a couple in randoms.  When asked how it was the opinions were rather bland, not too great and not too bad.  No strong opinions either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
544
[POP]
Members
925 posts
8,419 battles
7 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I suspect the FDR will be outta my price league. The Enterprise... when you say gone, as in gone from the game completely, or just not available for purchase? 

Big E is only available through the christmas crate lottery at this point.  Not available for sale due to it being pretty OP for what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
544
[POP]
Members
925 posts
8,419 battles

Forgot to mention, Saipan has T-10 planes so if you want to know what playing her is like, take you midway out.  Pretend you have 1/2 the squadron size and less plane regen.  Use the upgraded TP bombers as the aiming reticle is equally as slow just with Saipan you only drop 4 topedoes from 2 planes.  The dive bombing reticle and dispersion is about the same size as midway with about 1/2 the number of bombs dropped.  The rockets are similar to the midway TT rockets but again with same dispersion and reticle just 1/2 the number of rockets.

Edited by HallaSnackbar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
821
[HC]
Beta Testers
2,838 posts
12,488 battles

Well, Kaga works well using standard skills and tactics with the other IJN CV's.

Enterprise would have been a nice choice, but unless she stops over performing (dunno if the AP dive bomber damage nerf will do the trick) the odds of getting her are slim. Saipan, while officially being a UN Navy CV, doesn't share the playstyle with them, her airwing, while very strong, is very fragile. Losing planes hurts with her due to the terrible regen.

Ark Royal is fun, and good in operations. Swordfish v/s tier 8 AA isn't fun. She's basically the tier 6 Kaga.

Indomitable, just isn't up to much, it's just an airborne pyromaniac. Shares almost nothing with the RN CV line.

Graf Zeppelin, she's a slightly different flavor of IJN CV that uses German Captains. She barely resembles the tech tree German CV's. She's also famous for her secondary meme build, it's not as effective as people think, but it's hilarious when it does works.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
248
[META_]
Members
690 posts
15,114 battles

Depends on your goals, what are you good at?... In the last year I mainly play destroyers and carriers.. I have a few videos up on my YouTube channel Meta_man2002 I am partial to the ugly ducklings... I'm 60% in my graf zeppelin and 58%in my indomitable.... I have all tier 8 premium carriers.... Is you goal winrate? Is it fun? Check out my videos if you want to see my opinions, good luck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,991
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,922 posts
11,400 battles

Save the money.

E is for the time being crate only because instead of fixing CV's, then releasing premiums - Wargaming screwed up, didn't fix them, still hasn't, and had to remove it. 

Indomitable is an inferior version of the tech tree ship. Seriously, you can do just as well, actually better with that ships rockets and bombs - let alone it has TB's. The groups are too small, which with the HP they have means they get wrecked pretty well unless top tier. Your also screwed anything more than a DD is bearing down on you because your totally DoT reliant because Wargaming couldn't give it historically accurate DB hornets, no they had to continue the stupid damn gimmick.

Ark Royal - There's a number of insults and suggestions I'd like to hurl at the designers on this one. I'm all for the Swordfish. But they couldn't make it a tier 5 variant? They had to give it tier 4 planes against tier 8? To say nothing they couldn't get what uses what ordnance right and give her the I wanna say Fulmar's she had when she was chasing down Bismarck that would give it 1 of 2 planes being a little better. You'll devastate with tier 5 and 6 games, you might do okay tier 7 depending on how the reds act and what ships they have. 8? Well - see my profile pic.

Saipan - Lexington air groups have more HP and pretty sure faster time to replace losses - and more planes with which to replace those losses. Her 'tier 10 planes' make little difference in said tier matches. Yet again - top tier your fine, bottom tier and mid with bad MM and the slow regen and low numbers screw you. 

I don't have GZ, can't speak to that one. 

Of the ones I own, Kaga is the only one consistently close to playable and enjoyable - and even then that's only because she has enough planes she can afford to take losses, let alone the heavy ones some of the busted tier 10 AA can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,002
[SOV]
Members
4,429 posts
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Not so long ago I purchased the Kaga. I'm finding her to be good fun IF I stick to my game plans. As a result of playing Kaga, I've actually gotten better with Shokaku, can you believe it? 

I've cleared the USN, IJN and RN carrier lines through tier 10. I'm considering buying another premium CV but which one?  Or maybe I should hold off until any new German premium carrier arrives? Or? 

I'd like to know from those of you who play carriers, what would be the best move now, perhaps for the next few months. 

If I could, I'd like to purchase this one: 

.. but some of her features are long gone... sad... 

Anyhow, looking forward to the responses. TIA FYC

Sipan is solid.

I find the Graff just fun because you get 20+ torpor hits.

If FDR ever comes out it looks .ore frustrating than fun.

Edited by jags_domain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
955
[KAPPA]
Members
3,021 posts
7,790 battles

Anything but Saipan, if you ask me. If I wanted to play a worse Midway, I'd play Midway and pretend.

Graf Zep has a secondary brawling in the late game niche, and the most unique. Kaga is too big to fail, ignoring that you have her. Ark is fantastic if you don't mind being slow. The T8 RN premium is... well, slingshotting and nothing else, so she is the only premium CV I don't own. Then you have the upcoming FDR, which is like a super Midway sorta kinda.

Personally, I'd call Graf Zeppelin the most unique of the lot, followed up by Ark, who has triple drops of torps at a tier that otherwise has 2 per drop, and carpet bombers capable of obliterating DDs and lightly armored decks in their path, then finally that... thing that slingshot spams and has no torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,102
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,623 posts

Well at this point the GZ is available in the armory... I'm not sure she'll be here after the next patch - anyone know for certain? I'll go look for some video on the FDR. 

As to what I like... hmm... for me Kaga is somewhat fun and enjoyable... I have looked at the GZ but was/am concerned on her staying power and her damage per strike. Ark Royal I was also on my short list... 

Hmm... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
955
[KAPPA]
Members
3,021 posts
7,790 battles
6 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Well at this point the GZ is available in the armory... I'm not sure she'll be here after the next patch - anyone know for certain? I'll go look for some video on the FDR. 

As to what I like... hmm... for me Kaga is somewhat fun and enjoyable... I have looked at the GZ but was/am concerned on her staying power and her damage per strike. Ark Royal I was also on my short list... 

Hmm... 

GZ is basically a ship that thrives in the lategame where she can charge in and abuse her secondaries. Her secondaries are the most accurate in the game and they have KM penetration, so they can quite handily obliterate a DD that dares get spotted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,236 posts
9,256 battles

Ark Royal is the best bang for the money, among CV's.  Can play in Scenario Operations, too.

Graf Zeppelin is also fun.  But comes with a higher price and Tier-8 matchmaking.   
It is a good credit-earner in random battles, I feel.
Kaga competes well in this regard, too.

CV's are like Pokemon, eh?  :-)

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
544
[POP]
Members
925 posts
8,419 battles
26 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

GZ is basically a ship that thrives in the lategame where she can charge in and abuse her secondaries. Her secondaries are the most accurate in the game and they have KM penetration, so they can quite handily obliterate a DD that dares get spotted.

Like stealing enemy cap in standard battle late game when few ships are left on either side and they are all low hp.  I can't tell you how many times I have surprised red team and my own team doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
821
[HC]
Beta Testers
2,838 posts
12,488 battles
36 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Well at this point the GZ is available in the armory... I'm not sure she'll be here after the next patch - anyone know for certain? I'll go look for some video on the FDR. 

As to what I like... hmm... for me Kaga is somewhat fun and enjoyable... I have looked at the GZ but was/am concerned on her staying power and her damage per strike. Ark Royal I was also on my short list... 

Hmm... 

GZ's got no problems with staying power, the speed makes her torpedo bombers more durable than some might think. The AP bombers not so much, but, they were never that useful anyway.

Damage per strike, not so hot, but you make more strikes per match, so it's a wash in the end. You can spec her out as a perfectly normal CV, and she will work fine that way.

The secondaries are something you shouldn't plan on using as more often than not that will just get you killed. When the circumstances that they are useful in line up, it's hilarious. Especially when you blunder into the red CV with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,102
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,623 posts
14 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Ark Royal is the best bang for the money, among CV's.  Can play in Scenario Operations, too.

Graf Zeppelin is also fun.  But comes with a higher price and Tier-8 matchmaking.   
It is a good credit-earner in random battles, I feel.
Kaga competes well in this regard, too.

CV's are like Pokemon, eh?  :-)

Yeah... I'm looking over commanders at the moment... where my 19pt ones are... I have a coupon sitting in the armory so it'd bring down the cost a bit.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,102
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,623 posts

I think the GZ is a win. Primarily because I already have a 19pt cmdr spec'd out for the less than fruitful campaign currently underway. 

I have a sneaking suspicion the GZ is gonna disappear for a while...

Another good reason for me is even though I do NOT want to grind the tier CVs, having the GZ allows me to grind up some more commanders for the German line. 

So yea, I think I'm sold on the GZ. 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,236 posts
9,256 battles
10 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I think the GZ is a win. Primarily because I already have a 19pt cmdr spec'd out for the less than fruitful campaign currently underway. 

I have a sneaking suspicion the GZ is gonna disappear for a while...

Another good reason for me is even though I do NOT want to grind the tier CVs, having the GZ allows me to grind up some more commanders for the German line. 

So yea, I think I'm sold on the GZ. 

 

Yay!  
Hope you enjoy her.  :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,102
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,623 posts

And hey - a big thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and opinions on the original question I asked. 

It's one good thing about the forum, people will give you what you seek. 

Thanks again! 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,236 posts
9,256 battles
3 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

And hey - a big thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and opinions on the original question I asked. 

It's one good thing about the forum, people will give you what you seek. 

Thanks again! 

 

:cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×