You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Why Not A Break From Events?

35 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
3,938 posts
9,042 battles

While I think that WG following the Odin dockyard model isn't a bad thing (a consolation prize premium ship for complete FTPs and a small doubloon price for those that finish the grind), I do think that having another such dockyard event already be in ST for Anchorage is rather excessive.

The past couple month or so has been a whirlwind of ranked, clan battles, the Odin dockyard event, the Soviet cruiser line split, and the German CV event.

I personally think it'd be nice if WG simply let people have a month or two without any major events going on. Just let people grind in ranked or clan battles or dabble in randoms for some time without having to worry about new directives, or take the time to fix some of the issues with the CV rework and other balancing problems or root out some coding bugs. Heck, why not add some more permanently available operations or non-random modes in the meantime?

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[OIL-1]
Members
955 posts

The reason is that, people can't throw their money away fast enough, so why not get some of it?

[SALVO]
Members
3,414 posts
3,294 battles
2 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

While I think that WG following the Odin dockyard model isn't a bad thing (a consolation prize premium ship for complete FTPs and a small doubloon price for those that finish the grind), I do think that having another such dockyard event already be in ST for Anchorage is rather excessive.

The past couple month or so has been a whirlwind of ranked, clan battles, the Odin dockyard event, the Soviet cruiser line split, and the German CV event.

I personally think it'd be nice if WG simply let people have a month or two without any major events going on. Just let people grind in ranked or clan battles or dabble in randoms for some time without having to worry about new directives, or take the time to fix some of the issues with the CV rework and other balancing problems or root out some coding bugs. Heck, why not add some more permanently available operations or non-random modes in the meantime?

Not happening mate, Eyes on the prize, always. The competition is fierce, If you turn your attention away for a moment, there's a good chance you'll get sucked in by something else.

[STW-N]
Members
3,938 posts
9,042 battles
3 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Not happening mate, Eyes on the prize, always. The competition is fierce, If you turn your attention away for a moment, there's a good chance you'll get sucked in by something else.

Yeah, you're probably right.

At this point I've had to pick and choose which events I focus on (like ignoring the German CV event).

5 minutes ago, z9_ said:

The reason is that, people can't throw their money away fast enough, so why not get some of it?

Maybe think of a break as a long-term investment? Fixing the balancing issues or coding bugs could help retain more people over time.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,036 posts
7,802 battles

Because it's optional content. If you don't want to do it, just don't do it. For instance, the CV early access is a break so long as you don't want to play CVs. Now, for CV players it's not, especially if you have Graf Zeppelin, but everyone else can more or less finish up the dockyard (if they even want Odin) and move on to doing whatever they want.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,222 posts
15,357 battles

Why Not A Break From Events?

Participation is always voluntary. You can stop and play what you like any time you like.

For me the early release events are my break time.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,036 posts
7,802 battles
1 minute ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Maybe think of a break as a long-term investment? Fixing the balancing issues or coding bugs could help retain more people over time.

From what I understand, a lot of investors and such care far too much about short term profits and not enough about the long term. If even just one quarter has lowered profits, that'd be cause concern to them despite there being good reason.

That said, it also assumes they don't see those same ships we often see as unbalanced as balanced. Fun or unfun, many ships are fairly balanced, just not enjoyable. Smolensk, for example, is quite balanced, just not fun to be shot at by. Izumo's C turret isn't a fun turret to work around, but she's no longer in a bad place if you ask me. Balance can also be subjective depending on how you define balance.

[OIL-1]
Members
955 posts
17 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

The competition is fierce

Yep. There's a lot of game companies now that want your attention. It's as good as it's ever been for the players.

• Haha 1

[STW-N]
Members
3,938 posts
9,042 battles
2 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Yep. There's a lot of game companies now that want your attention. It's as good as it's ever been for the players.

I'm kind of curious about this. Mind giving some examples?

7 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

From what I understand, a lot of investors and such care far too much about short term profits and not enough about the long term. If even just one quarter has lowered profits, that'd be cause concern to them despite there being good reason.

That said, it also assumes they don't see those same ships we often see as unbalanced as balanced. Fun or unfun, many ships are fairly balanced, just not enjoyable. Smolensk, for example, is quite balanced, just not fun to be shot at by. Izumo's C turret isn't a fun turret to work around, but she's no longer in a bad place if you ask me. Balance can also be subjective depending on how you define balance.

That's a shame. But I would've thought certain things like the CV rework obviously need some tweaking. And even if WG doesn't do a thing for balance, is there any harm to adding more permanent content or alternatives to randoms?

[META_]
Members
704 posts
15,133 battles
28 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I feel like much has been thrown at us quickly but remember YOU don't have to participate..... Leave it to the players to decide as in if they play they play.. Maybe some players didn't play the last while.... Everyone makes a choice to play or not

[STW-N]
Members
3,938 posts
9,042 battles
2 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

I feel like much has been thrown at us quickly but remember YOU don't have to participate..... Leave it to the players to decide as in if they play they play.. Maybe some players didn't play the last while.... Everyone makes a choice to play or not

That much is true, I admit. I personally didn't participate in the German CV event at all (well, at least deliberately).

But would it be better for WG to have better participation in a single event at a time than to have multiple events at once with lower participation?

[KAPPA]
Members
3,036 posts
7,802 battles
8 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

That's a shame. But I would've thought certain things like the CV rework obviously need some tweaking. And even if WG doesn't do a thing for balance, is there any harm to adding more permanent content or alternatives to randoms?

Permanent content? No, not unless it's a game mode. Alternatives to random? Possibly. There's only so many players playing, so the more modes you add, the more you spread out the playerbase. It's why most new modes are only temporary, as our playerbase isn't especially large. At a sustainable size, sure, but not very big.

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
955 posts
13 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I'm kind of curious about this. Mind giving some examples?

Difficult to say without violating forum rules by naming other games.
But I recently stopped playing a game, and in my account I still have fifty $10 gift certificates
that were given to me by other players in exchange for the gold I earned. And also owned everything in the store at the time.

I'm playing a BR game right now, and 60-90m per day for the dailies gets me free premium time,
all the premium prizes, and even leftover currency to buy cash items from the store.

There are other good games I've played recently, but just don't have the time for them. I keep grinding WG crap that I don't need. (That's how they get ya!)

[LOU1]
Members
4,121 posts
11,717 battles

You don't have to change the way you play for a lot of these events - they just happen.  Granted, if you're like me, you might like to knock them out quickly.  Interestingly, I can do a lot of Directives in a couple of days of PvE play each and then can ignore the event.  With both Odin and the German CV events, I ground out a bunch of missions in Tanks for most of the event.  Finished those and switched back to Ships to knock them out.  (Note: I only play at night and on the weekends - currently mostly PvE for various reasons.)  So, these events are a "break" for me.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,450 posts
10,889 battles
1 hour ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

That much is true, I admit. I personally didn't participate in the German CV event at all (well, at least deliberately).

But would it be better for WG to have better participation in a single event at a time than to have multiple events at once with lower participation?

Probable not or they would be doing that no . Contrary to popular belief there not as dumb as people think .  

Edited by clammboy

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,929 posts
11,403 battles

Because they can't grasp the concept that either A: they'll burn the players out, B: frustrate them by the fact they take a break therefore don't get something - doubly so now that 1: review embargo's are now till release and 2: if it's a strong/new meta ship now they have to pay for it, if it ever even returns, and C: have lost their way.

People wanna shove the 'it's voluntary' nonsense - it's less so when you can't afford ships to begin with, or the premium that gives an edge up in getting them, or the signals, or the rest of it. No other game, none, hammers events like these back, to back, to back, because it'll burn players out, it'll drive them away, it's generally bad for the game. "Don't have to change how you play" - yeah you do when you have to play specific types/lines/ships. When you have to get kills. When you have to get captures. hen you have to do x damage a match, etc. 

It wasn't this way before, there used to be at least a couple weeks between directives. A gap where you could grind whatever, step away, do PTS, clan battles, etc without impeding on progression of missions. I'll leave it there to not get a ban for speaking my mind.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,891 posts
8,841 battles

I personally think it'd be nice if WG simply let people have a month or two without any major events going on.

I mean, you're not forced to participate in these events. Just play for two months without paying attention to what's going on.

And if you have a fear of missing out and keep playing even if you dont get as much joy out of it -- well, that's why WG does these events to begin with.

[WMD]
Members
1,440 posts
9,230 battles

I think it's easy to forget that not all players have time or opportunity to play at all times. When I was sailing with the RCN I missed a lot of events due to my ship's OP tempo. It was frustrating to have a week or two at home during an "off" month with no events, then start sailing again just as an event patch was about to be released. 

By always having an event running pretty much every player has an opportunity to get event goodies, and for new players, they have a chance to get some goodies no matter which month they happen to start playing. 

Lastly, as others have said before, pick and choose which events you "grind" and which ones you essentially ignore. I'm not really bothering with the German CV event because I don't like CVs, and as much as I want the Hindenburg camo I can live without it. 

[FORM]
Members
1,438 posts
10,338 battles

I personally think it'd be nice if WG simply let people have a month or two without any major events going on. 

Why don't the people just not participate in it? I did that last summer with the Benham. None of these events are obligatory, and I would rather have the option to opt-in, than to not have any option at all.

• Cool 2

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,865 posts
13,312 battles

month or two

Um, there is literally a month between this dockyard and the next.

The problem we run into is if we don't have content in the schedule the way we do, people are upset and if we do it in the schedule we have, people complain.

Not that complaining is not allowed, but we can't please everyone ya know?

That being said, all of these events are optional and not required.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 5

[WMD]
Members
1,440 posts
9,230 battles
5 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Because they can't grasp the concept that either A: they'll burn the players out, B: frustrate them by the fact they take a break therefore don't get something - doubly so now that 1: review embargo's are now till release and 2: if it's a strong/new meta ship now they have to pay for it, if it ever even returns, and C: have lost their way.

People wanna shove the 'it's voluntary' nonsense - it's less so when you can't afford ships to begin with, or the premium that gives an edge up in getting them, or the signals, or the rest of it. No other game, none, hammers events like these back, to back, to back, because it'll burn players out, it'll drive them away, it's generally bad for the game. "Don't have to change how you play" - yeah you do when you have to play specific types/lines/ships. When you have to get kills. When you have to get captures. hen you have to do x damage a match, etc. 

It wasn't this way before, there used to be at least a couple weeks between directives. A gap where you could grind whatever, step away, do PTS, clan battles, etc without impeding on progression of missions. I'll leave it there to not get a ban for speaking my mind.

If you "burn out" playing a video game it's entirely on you. 

All game events are voluntary, and none of the event ships have been "required" to be competitive or to enjoy the game. Odin is widely considered a garbage boat by people on the forums, so why exactly is it that one would feel it's necessary to grind to get it? 

Lack of available money sucks, been there, done that, got the divorce certificate. That said, WG doesn't owe it to any player to cater to their lack of available money. WG is in the business of making money, and they do that by convincing those with available money to spend that available money on WG products. 

Back in the "glory days" events were harder to complete, and came along less frequently, so you had to put in your shift to get the rewards. Now events are tailored to be as accessible as possible, with long timelines to complete. I can't fathom a good reason why anybody would want to go back to how it was, beyond forgetting how bad it had been. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
6,317 posts
3,140 battles
2 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Because if WG didn't continually jingle the keys in front of everyone's faces, more people would focus on all the stuff that's wrong with the game and leave.

• Cool 2

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,929 posts
11,403 battles
3 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

Back in the "glory days" events were harder to complete, and came along less frequently, so you had to put in your shift to get the rewards. Now events are tailored to be as accessible as possible, with long timelines to complete. I can't fathom a good reason why anybody would want to go back to how it was, beyond forgetting how bad it had been. 

Because the challenges were not harder, they were in fact easier. And actually the last directive usually had 2 weeks to complete from day it could be unlocked, where as most lately have had 1 week. And you didn't usually need specific ships, or lines , or types. Hell, at one point with no time locks players could knock them all out in 2 weeks despite being given 5. Back in the day for Cossack which was what 2 dollars with the discount or Lightning (I forget which is which off hand) I barely had to try, I just played what ever and was done.

13 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Um, there is literally a month between this dockyard and the next.

The problem we run into is if we don't have content in the schedule the way we do, people are upset and if we do it in the schedule we have, people complain.

Not that complaining is not allowed, but we can't please everyone ya know?

That being said, all of these events are optional and not required.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

That doesn't mean you have to hammer us with directive set, after directive set, after directive set. Look - I understood when it was literally a month or two with absolutely no content. But you guys could do a better job on staggering things. Instead of 2 part, 2 month long directive marathons, design some simple one month ones, then have a week or two - a week or two where you open up the PTS for testing the next patch, or hold live server beta's for things like Submarines. Maybe ranked battles for those so inclined, some simple missions, or otherwise just time to work on whatever lines or step away if none of that interests us. How many times did Wargaming say 'we didn't have enough data' when it came to CV's - because all the testing was done during massive events. Subs was again, in the middle of other events on the server. Dockyards almost over, lets say the next directives have a ship I want and then so does the next dockyard? Well, I can't not play if I want them, I have no money to buy them later - if they don't get pulled for being too good. Or even after a twoparter just have a week in between or the two at the end. 

• Cool 1