You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
oline63

What's the most efficient camo?

12 comments in this topic

[META_]
Members
6 posts
2,580 battles

I buy the permanent for my favorite tier 6 and above ships, but still like to play a couple of tier 5s (Konigsberg and Nicholas can be a lot of fun).  My question - I have to go through a lot of camos for those two, and need opinions on cost effectiveness.  Frosty fir tree is great, but $$.  Clash of elements is cheapest for coal, and type 5 just costs credits.  Anyone have any ideas here?

• Funny 1

[KWF]
Members
4,186 posts
6,350 battles

If it's just cost effectiveness then Type 5. Otherwise depends on what you want to grind specifically.

• Cool 1

[TBB]
Members
400 posts
3,629 battles
38 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If it's just cost effectiveness then Type 5. Otherwise depends on what you want to grind specifically.

This essentially. They're all the same with and after Type 5, so just depends what you want to level up and at what rate.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,043 posts
8,851 battles

Most efficient camos are the permanent ones you can buy at tier 9 and 10, once you buy them or acquire them from other methods they will eventually be more efficient the more games you play with the ships equipped with such camos.

Some occasions there are moments where you can buy special promotional permanent camos such as the tier 6 ones for Graf Spee and Queen Elizabeth where both gets the +100% xp bonus as opposed to the +50% xp bonus and they also get a boost in credits of +30%

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,167 posts
18,412 battles

What are you trying to be efficient in regard to? Type 1/2/5 are the cheapest to buy for credits, but also provide no economic bonuses like XP or commander XP. Type 59 costs doubloons (and kind of a lot), but provides excellent XP boost.

In general, I suggest going with the "cheap stuff" at low tier, and slowly stepping up your use of camo with bonuses like XP, as you get to higher tier. The reason for this is that the numbers are simply higher there -- you earn more XP and credits, so applying those %-based bonuses brings more benefit.

• Cool 2

[BUOY]
Members
842 posts
13,345 battles
2 hours ago, oline63 said:

I buy the permanent for my favorite tier 6 and above ships, but still like to play a couple of tier 5s (Konigsberg and Nicholas can be a lot of fun).  My question - I have to go through a lot of camos for those two, and need opinions on cost effectiveness.  Frosty fir tree is great, but $$.  Clash of elements is cheapest for coal, and type 5 just costs credits.  Anyone have any ideas here?

If you just want the combat bonuses, Type 5. If you want bang for buck in the economy department, Pi Day (3/14) and Shadow Lurker (Black Friday) camos gives the best bonuses to FXP/CXP without 'wasting' ship XP which you'll have to spend dubs to convert.

My rule of thumb is 1x use camos that give 100% or more ship XP are good for line grinding while those with less than 100% are for elite / premium ships.

• Cool 1

Members
2,893 posts
5,569 battles
15 hours ago, lloyd1701 said:

If you just want the combat bonuses, Type 5. If you want bang for buck in the economy department, Pi Day (3/14) and Shadow Lurker (Black Friday) camos gives the best bonuses to FXP/CXP without 'wasting' ship XP which you'll have to spend dubs to convert.

My rule of thumb is 1x use camos that give 100% or more ship XP are good for line grinding while those with less than 100% are for elite / premium ships.

Except that XP is a major factor in the calculation for FXP and CXP earnings, so to maximize FXP/CXP earnings, you also want to maximize XP bonus.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,912 posts
13,143 battles
27 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Except that XP is a major factor in the calculation for FXP and CXP earnings,

Commander XP is calculated from base XP after modifiers (i.e. premium time counts), with the ship XP added on as a bonus, but it's not the greatest contributor.

Unmodified, unboosted commander XP is never less than ship XP, and it's easily possible to have commander XP harvests of three times the ship XP if you load the optimal flags and camos. 

As @Edgecase has already shown (see the link in his post), FXP farming is where the extra ship XP really weighs in to increase your gains over what they might be. Unmodified, unboosted free XP is 5% of ship XP, but the right flags and camos, on a first win on a bonus weekend can raise that to over 100%, and especially so if the ship is a newly bought premium with her 3X ship XP mission still running.

• Cool 1

[BUOY]
Members
842 posts
13,345 battles
13 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Except that XP is a major factor in the calculation for FXP and CXP earnings, so to maximize FXP/CXP earnings, you also want to maximize XP bonus.

I'm not forgetting that, I'm saying the CXP/FXP bonuses of Pi Day and Shadow Lurker ( and also 'This is Your Day, Commander') are good enough to overcome the SXP deficit and so should be used on ships where SXP doesn't matter a whit since it would need dubs to be converted.

I just don't see much value in using a 100% SXP camo on an already elited / premium ship in the high variability of randoms.

• Cool 1

Members
5,235 posts
16 hours ago, lloyd1701 said:

Frosty fir tree is great, but $$. 

Unless you have 1500 sitting there in your port, of course...

• Cool 1

Members
2,893 posts
5,569 battles
52 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

I'm not forgetting that, I'm saying the CXP/FXP bonuses of Pi Day and Shadow Lurker ( and also 'This is Your Day, Commander') are good enough to overcome the SXP deficit and so should be used on ships where SXP doesn't matter a whit since it would need dubs to be converted.

I just don't see much value in using a 100% SXP camo on an already elited / premium ship in the high variability of randoms.

I think I saw someone had done the math and there was some principle involved where you wanted the FXP and SXP or CXP and SXP (whichever you were grinding) to have proportionate bonuses in order to maximize return. Personally I do use full bonuses on premium ships when I need to grind resources, because I'm getting FXP, CXP, and credits in huge chunks. Full flags on a decent win is 1M credits, 50,000 CXP, and 15,000 FXP. 

51 minutes ago, Kirov_Six said:

Unless you have 1500 sitting there in your port, of course...

If you see me in game, all my ships are wearing Frosty Fir Tree, even in co-op. I still have about 300 left from Santa crates last year... and only about 2/3 of the camos I got from Santa crates were Frosty Fir Tree, I still have about 700 New Years Streamer camos.

• Cool 1

[BUOY]
Members
842 posts
13,345 battles

4 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I think I saw someone had done the math and there was some principle involved where you wanted the FXP and SXP or CXP and SXP (whichever you were grinding) to have proportionate bonuses in order to maximize return. Personally I do use full bonuses on premium ships when I need to grind resources, because I'm getting FXP, CXP, and credits in huge chunks. Full flags on a decent win is 1M credits, 50,000 CXP, and 15,000 FXP. 

TBF I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys the TT grind and can tell you how many lines I've ground / reground through with Pumpkin Spice, Prison Pajama and Mint Toothpaste flavors... because it is almost all of them. Also the OP was asking about camo efficiency while your situation is something of the opposite i.e. using up ugly but nice bonus camos on literally everything because just selling them for silver is a waste.

• Cool 1