You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DocWalker

The Black "Smoke Screen"

9 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
2,688 posts

I'm pretty sure this has come up before but a couple of searches didn't "hit" on anything ... it's about the large, black smoke from burning/destroyed ships blocking your vision.  I've tried the "Old Fire" and "Old Explosions" mods from Aslains, but they had little to no effect that I could see from the size and duration of the black "smoke screen".

Is there some other control or mod to help reduce this "effect"? TIA

----------

The image below is from a Vladivostok that was hit by our Fletcher and was burning ... the explosion from his torps happened at 15:14, hiding the Sinop behind the Vlad in a thick wall of black.  The smoke didn't clear enough to see the Sinop again until 15:32 ... a full 18 seconds later.  That can be a long time with a Russian BB bearing down on you from 8km away!

h.jpg

[TBB]
Members
431 posts
3,655 battles
21 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

I'm pretty sure this has come up before but a couple of searches didn't "hit" on anything ... it's about the large, black smoke from burning/destroyed ships blocking your vision.  I've tried the "Old Fire" and "Old Explosions" mods from Aslains, but they had little to no effect that I could see from the size and duration of the black "smoke screen".

Is there some other control or mod to help reduce this "effect"? TIA

----------

The image below is from a Vladivostok that was hit by our Fletcher and was burning ... the explosion from his torps happened at 15:14, hiding the Sinop behind the Vlad in a thick wall of black.  The smoke didn't clear enough to see the Sinop again until 15:32 ... a full 18 seconds later.  That can be a long time with a Russian BB bearing down on you from 8km away!

h.jpg

So how do you get smoke like that though cause I've never seen it so full.  I want lol

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,732 posts

If we are sharing the same exact situation and you can see better than me, because you are running a game modification, that's a problem.

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Members
18,955 posts
13,161 battles
4 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

If we are sharing the same exact situation and you can see better than me, because you are running a game modification, that's a problem.

The counter to that argument, and it's a fair one, is that it's a more or less approved modpack available to all.

• Meh 5

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,732 posts
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The counter to that argument, and it's a fair one, is that it's a more or less approved modpack available to all.

I don't think it is fair.  A player should not need to know that such a mod even exists, in order to be on equal ground.  If WG says it's ok, it's their game and they get to decide. I don't agree with it though.

• Cool 5

Members
1,381 posts
16,762 battles

"The fog of war" ???

I know it's just a shoot 'em up arcade game but a little bit of reality every now and then that replicates real life situations doesn't hurt. Smoke obscuring battle fields has been a thing since gunpowder was invented. Learn to cope and overcome just like real soldiers and sailors have to.

Members
71 posts

these things happen in real naval warfare. it is why the Japaneese scheduled the fuel tanks to be hit in the third wave (never sent) because they worried that the burning fuel would obscure the aircrafts being able to see the target ships in port.

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
530 posts
11,934 battles

10 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I think some of the approved mods are still boarder line cheating like the lights telling you which way the ship is going and even the mod that shows angles.  They take the skill out of the game and sway the favor to the people with the mods.

• Cool 2

Members
15 posts
13,281 battles

Angle mod should have never and i mean never allowed, personally WGing mods from them should only be allowed period, any outside help to me is a hack