Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

ODIN: I Will Never Say A Bad Word About PEF Again

46 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,297
[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,625 battles

Well thank goodness I only had to pay X amount of Dubs for this,WHY WHY WHY WHY WG WHY WHY JUST WHY WG.

What and How are you suppose to play this ship, you cant brawl, you cant snipe at long range.

The ship gets shredded in brawls if you can even get in range.  

Fired a long range salvo at a enemy ship in my map and the shells went across the map into the adjoining map  and hit border humping BB from some other game being played.

Played 8 games yes that's only 8 but I have played enough in German ships to know this ship is in trouble.

Won 2 lost 6, 4 or 5 of of those losses could and should have been victories but that another story.

Tirpitz ( Queen Of The North )

Scharnhorst ( legendary )

Prinz Eugen  ( solid )

 Admiral Graf Spee ( legendary )

Konig Albert ( Game Changer )

T - 61 ( great  ship ) 

Z - 39 ( solid )

PEF ( Looking Good Right Now )

Graf Zeppelin ( once most HATED ship ) you don't get that honour for being junk.

Why have German premiums gone down hill :Smile_sad:   

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
204
[XXX]
Members
425 posts
782 battles

You left out the Mainz, which is also regarded as a very solid tier 8 cruiser. Also the PEF is widely considered trash tier...it's not very good, not sure which rose tinted goggles you looking at it from.

Edited by Yandere_Roon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,013 posts
16,146 battles

Welp, I have over a 60% win rate in the Odin in randoms and ranked, and I'm not very good at the game, so I would assume it depends on how you play the ship. 

How to catch a cat. Results may vary. | Cute funny animals, Funny ...

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,850
[GWG]
Members
6,758 posts
12,939 battles

You are not using the PEF correctly.  If you don't have at least two floods -- rethink your strategy.

 

PEF_Floods.jpg

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,297
[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,625 battles
30 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

You left out the Mainz, which is also regarded as a very solid tier 8 cruiser. Also the PEF is widely considered trash tier...it's not very good, not sure which rose tinted goggles you looking at it from.

Well if you read my Title and comment it will tell you I have said things in the past about PEF and not good things.

Sorry did you actually read my post properly and if so were wearing what were they again rose tinted glasses because I don't know how many times I write posts people then reply and I have correct them because they chose only to cherry pick said posts.

AS for Mainz don't have it so I cant speak for it  

Edited by tm63au
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,297
[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,625 battles
10 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

You are not using the PEF correctly.  If you don't have at least two floods -- rethink your strategy.

 

PEF_Floods.jpg

Ok you misunderstand me I have been playing ODIN its bad and my post I'm saying once upon a time I thought PEF was a bad ship Odin is worse, hence the title.

Compared to Odin,  PEF is even better that's how bad I think of Odin and that's saying something.

cheers 

Edited by tm63au
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
248
[META_]
Members
693 posts
15,116 battles
30 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Well thank goodness I only had to pay X amount of Dubs for this,WHY WHY WHY WHY WG WHY WHY JUST WHY WG.

What and How are you suppose to play this ship, you cant brawl, you cant snipe at long range.

The ship gets shredded in brawls if you can even get in range.  

Fired a long range salvo at a enemy ship in my map and the shells went across the map into the adjoining map  and hit border humping BB from some other game being played.

Played 8 games yes that's only 8 but I have played enough in German ships to know this ship is in trouble.

Won 2 lost 6, 4 or 5 of of those losses could and should have been victories but that another story.

Tirpitz ( Queen Of The North )

Scharnhorst ( legendary )

Prinz Eugen  ( solid )

 Admiral Graf Spee ( legendary )

Konig Albert ( Game Changer )

T - 61 ( great  ship ) 

Z - 39 ( solid )

PEF ( Looking Good Right Now )

Graf Zeppelin ( once most HATED ship ) you don't get that honour for being junk.

Why have German premiums gone down hill :Smile_sad:   

Well I don't have the Odin but I knew it was in trouble when they were comparing it to the tirpitz and saying the tirpitz was better... The Tirpitz has the lowest tier 8 battleship winrate on wows stats page for NA general server and the top 5% players still are the bottom winrate... I'm not saying this because I dislike the tirpitz, I have her and have a OK winrate in her but she can't compete with some of the other tier 8 BBs.... She's fun but I can be brain 🧠 dead and still do better in my massachusetts, Alabama, lennin etc* so when they said tirpitz was stronger than Odin I knew she was in trouble... Would I like to have her sure but I think she would need a specific game plan to make her work.... I'm a huge speed guy... Mostly French dds lately... So Odin at her speed intrigues me and I think I could make her dance but I'm not spending on her yet. Just my 2 cents. Side note I keep my PEF between 54%-57% so she isn't horrible either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
204
[XXX]
Members
425 posts
782 battles
14 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Well if you read my Title and comment it will tell you I have said things in the past about PEF and not good things.

Sorry did you actually read my post properly and if so were wearing what were they again rose tinted glasses because I don't know how many times I write posts people then reply and I have correct them because they chose only to cherry pick said posts.

AS for Mainz don't have it so I cant speak for it  

So how can you say that the German Premiums have gone downhill...when there's ONE ship that you generally don't like. Compare and Contrast you vs Sealord Mountbatten who loves the Odin and can play it to its strengths very well. The Odin is hard to citadel, has good deck plating, an true icebreaker bow (meaning it's harder to citadel from the Yama sisters guns). Meanwhile the PEF has no icebreaker bow, which means 380mm guns can pen it through said bow, 8 350mm guns 28 second reload vs 9 305mm guns 23 reload, no torps and suffers from being tier 6 which means Manual Secondaries is ineffectual and a waste of points. 

I fail to see how the PEF is better than the Odin in literally any way apart from it has bigger guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
38 posts
199 battles
52 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Well thank goodness I only had to pay X amount of Dubs for this,WHY WHY WHY WHY WG WHY WHY JUST WHY WG.

For a fun ship that can hold her own.

52 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Why have German premiums gone down hill :Smile_sad:   

Um... Seriously? OMG this ship stinks.. OMG OMG do something WG!!! OMG!

 

Ever think its not the ship?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,850
[GWG]
Members
6,758 posts
12,939 battles
5 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Ok you misunderstand me I have been playing ODIN its bad and my post I'm saying once upon a time I thought PEF was a bad ship Odin is worse, hence the title.

Compared to Odin,  PEF is even better that's how bad I think of Odin and that's saying something.

cheers 

In this game, I have two accounts, I've had the ability to start up two same ships, same equipment, same skill captains in separate accounts.

(I even have two game computers now)

I used the Bogatyr on both.

The performance difference is striking.  On one account, the shells rarely landed on target, got sucky MM, and rarely landed the final kill shot..

The other account was the opposite..  It ruled supreme.

That's one example....   Cruiser split came up -- Cleveland started new at tier 8...  Same deal..  Same experiment.

This time the tides turned and the other account ended up with the OP Cleveland, while the good Bogatyr one other seemed to be a magnet to every stray shell right into the citadel.

And I even switched battles between ships -- ten co-op battle experiment.  Kept the data from MM, Damage, sinking, etc. for each battle.

.............

So my conclusion is that when you get a ship, RNG rolls a dice to determine how this ship is going to rock for you.

I have a Gremyashchy...   I suck with it.  It gets spotted and wiped out - even if I run away.  The laser accurate guns seem too hit somewhere I'm not pointing at.
And yet it's the most OP T5 DD in the game.
I also have a Krasny Krym..  This is my killer machine.  I killed a Cleveland and Atlanta in one Random match (when Cleve was T6).  I outdistanced them and burned them to the waterline while I was kiting.

It's a strange game...   I'm sorry the Odin doesn't work for you, and yet it is supreme God-ship to others.  It's the luck of the draw.  But that is my observation.

  • Cool 2
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,749
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,568 posts

I really doubt there's a per-player RNG to determine ship performance. 

As for Odin... it still has German BB armor, it has good agility and concealment for a BB, it has German hydro AND it has torps, and while the guns aren't spectacular they have a good ROF for a BB.  There are ways to make it work  The low HP really stands out, but after playing the ship a ton I'm going to say that it's one of those situations where the number can in fact lie. 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,944
[ARGSY]
Members
18,825 posts
13,119 battles
1 hour ago, tm63au said:

4 or 5 of of those losses could and should have been victories but that another story.

Please enlarge on why they should have been victories. Was it something to do with your ship, or something to do with your team?

I get the feeling that you have let slip an important hint that you are unwilling to enlarge upon for some formless, nameless reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
239
[MIBR]
[MIBR]
Members
887 posts
1 hour ago, Yandere_Roon said:

You left out the Mainz, which is also regarded as a very solid tier 8 cruiser. Also the PEF is widely considered trash tier...it's not very good, not sure which rose tinted goggles you looking at it from.

Mainz freaks me out when i am on a T8 or IX BB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,297
[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,625 battles
11 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

So how can you say that the German Premiums have gone downhill...when there's ONE ship that you generally don't like. Compare and Contrast you vs Sealord Mountbatten who loves the Odin and can play it to its strengths very well. The Odin is hard to citadel, has good deck plating, an true icebreaker bow (meaning it's harder to citadel from the Yama sisters guns). Meanwhile the PEF has no icebreaker bow, which means 380mm guns can pen it through said bow, 8 350mm guns 28 second reload vs 9 305mm guns 23 reload, no torps and suffers from being tier 6 which means Manual Secondaries is ineffectual and a waste of points. 

I fail to see how the PEF is better than the Odin in literally any way apart from it has bigger guns.

Is this your Alt account or are you really a new player with only 757 games.

Do I really need to try to explain you again what I'm getting at in every line or shall I give the short version and hope you get what I'm saying, so here goes.

I'm saying in my own view Odin is so bad that it makes PEF look good do you get it now because I even allured to it in my tittle but you still didn't get it.

Odin may be hard to citadel but it has no turtleback  if i'm wrong on that feel free correct me which does not help when trying to brawl again my view. 

As for Sealord Mountbatten sorry don't him sure hes a great person and I am happy he likes the ship.

To answer your other question / questions the O class ships did not get a good wrap neither did Z -35 and either did Odin in some circles so that's 4 ships, Mainz is fine while its under cover if its in the open its Swiss cheese from all accounts.

And I have played against it  

again this post is subjective and my view

     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,977
[WOLFG]
Members
8,835 posts
7,308 battles

It's a $14 tier 8 premium.  How awesome did everyone expect it to be?

That being said, it probably has some viability in ranked play because it can't be uptiered and there are fewer players to provide focus fire.

In one v one ranked it is probably pretty dangerous.

Over time, I would expect it's random numbers to fall back due to being able to be up tiered and increased chance of focus fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
204
[XXX]
Members
425 posts
782 battles
12 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Is this your Alt account or are you really a new player with only 757 games.

Do I really need to try to explain you again what I'm getting at in every line or shall I give the short version and hope you get what I'm saying, so here goes.

I'm saying in my own view Odin is so bad that it makes PEF look good do you get it now because I even allured to it in my tittle but you still didn't get it.

Odin may be hard to citadel but it has no turtleback  if i'm wrong on that feel free correct me which does not help when trying to brawl again my view. 

As for Sealord Mountbatten sorry don't him sure hes a great person and I am happy he likes the ship.

To answer your other question / questions the O class ships did not get a good wrap neither did Z -35 and either did Odin in some circles so that's 4 ships, Mainz is fine while its under cover if its in the open its Swiss cheese from all accounts.

And I have played against it  

again this post is subjective and my view

     

Firstly yes, this is my alt account, I make no bones to hide it, my EU account is DrMechano. Numerous times I've said this on this forums so I don't hide behind pretending to be a new player.

Here's the thing, coming in and just generally saying "The Odin is a bad ship!" is not the same as saying "I THINK the Odin is a bad ship". Plus you noted that 'German Premiums have gone downhill' when that's literally not true, plus all the problems you listed with the Odin, apply to the PEF only worse, like MUCH worse. As for the O Class, the Agir and the Siegfried...eh...they're not bad, the Agir is just bland, it's not good, it's not bad, it's beige whilst the Seigy has at least the highly accuracte 380mm guns going for it and it seems to do very well in skilled hands. Also the Mainz being 'swiss cheese' out in the open is very much standard tier 8 CL problems. It has good, high velocity firing arcs, built in IFHE, allowing it to take Demo expert instead and so on.

Just because [insert CC here] says things are bad doesn't mean they're ACTUALLY that bad, Flamu hates the Odin and the German O Class because originally they were secondary focused meme machines which he loved but got changed to being less secondary focused and more main battery focused, secondary meme builds are great for his channel putting out funny videos, not so great for everything else if you give the 'they're just ok', most people won't keep watching after you tell them that. Meanwhile Sealord Mountbatten LOVES the Odin and plays it very well. So two different CCs with two very different opinions.

If you don't specifically like the Odin, that instead of a topic entitled 'Odin: I will never look bad at the PEF again', ask "Am I playing the Odin wrong, is there something I'm doing that could help me get the most out of the ship?" Slap us a replay. I mean if you've got them going I would love to see replays of you most recent battles in the Odin.

Edited by Yandere_Roon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,297
[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,625 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Please enlarge on why they should have been victories. Was it something to do with your ship, or something to do with your team?

I get the feeling that you have let slip an important hint that you are unwilling to enlarge upon for some formless, nameless reason.

Well out of those 4 or 5 games I had 1 bad game the others I was in the top 5 and higher, fairly good score considering most its a new ship and games swing dramatically I have my view on why they did but I didn't want start anything however here are 2 screen shots and this is in no way shamming anyone but I will let you put 2 and 2 together.

 

 

These are from tonight I felt we had a chance but things didn't end up that way

cheers 

Edited by tm63au

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,944
[ARGSY]
Members
18,825 posts
13,119 battles
37 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

So my conclusion is that when you get a ship, RNG rolls a dice to determine how this ship is going to rock for you.

Historical diversion: sister ships Lord Clyde and Lord Warden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Lord_Clyde_(1864)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Lord_Warden_(1865) 

More disparate fates from the same design, you could not hope to see. 

 

3 minutes ago, tm63au said:

I have my view on why they did but I didn't want start anything

What exactly would you be starting?

Also, it's considered bad form to leave the names in, to the point where it can get you a warning or your post mod-edited. Either crop them out or obscure them somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,297
[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,625 battles
5 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Firstly yes, this is my alt account, I make no bones to hide it, my EU account is DrMechano. Numerous times I've said this on this forums so I don't hide behind pretending to be a new player.

Here's the thing, coming in and just generally saying "The Odin is a bad ship!" is not the same as saying "I THINK the Odin is a bad ship". Plus you noted that 'German Premiums have gone downhill' when that's literally not true, plus all the problems you listed with the Odin, apply to the PEF only worse, like MUCH worse. As for the O Class, the Agir and the Siegfried...eh...they're not bad, the Agir is just bland, it's not good, it's not bad, it's beige whilst the Seigy has at least the highly accuracte 380mm guns going for it and it seems to do very well in skilled hands. Also the Mainz being 'swiss cheese' out in the open is very much standard tier 8 CL problems. It has good, high velocity firing arcs, built in IFHE, allowing it to take Demo expert instead and so on.

Just because [insert CC here] says things are bad doesn't mean they're ACTUALLY that bad, Flamu hates the Odin and the German O Class because originally they were secondary focused meme machines which he loved but got changed to being less secondary focused and more main battery focused, secondary meme builds are great for his channel putting out funny videos, not so great for everything else if you give the 'they're just ok', most people won't keep watching after you tell them that. Meanwhile Sealord Mountbatten LOVES the Odin and plays it very well. So two different CCs with two very different opinions.

If you don't specifically like the Odin, that instead of a topic entitled 'Odin: I will never look bad at the PEF again', ask "Am I playing the Odin wrong, is there something I'm doing that could help me get the most out of the ship?" Slap us a replay. I mean if you've got them going I would love to see replays of you most recent battles in the Odin.

No problem ill post them write now for you to look at. I got nothing to hide and I am certainly not a unicum player 

cheers 

20200730_210331_PGSB508-Odin_18_NE_ice_islands.wowsreplay

20200730_212241_PGSB508-Odin_35_NE_north_winter.wowsreplay

20200730_214400_PGSB508-Odin_18_NE_ice_islands.wowsreplay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,052
[PVE]
Members
3,945 posts
16,811 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Please enlarge on why they should have been victories. Was it something to do with your ship, or something to do with your team?

I get the feeling that you have let slip an important hint that you are unwilling to enlarge upon for some formless, nameless reason.

That may be a good assumption but, think for a moment; did he include "Ranked?"  Ah, Ranked is a disaster......an un mitigated quagmire of RNG folly and lopsided results....  Want to bet that those four games had to do with Ranked matches?

And, I like the Odin because I am a COOP main.  You'all that subject yourselves to Random and Ranked (which I won't play anymore after this season) are simply counter intuitive and non value added and are getting worse:......will get a lot worse before, or even if, they can get better (which is too expensive for our host to fix so............) 

BTW, since I like Odin in COOP; and, have had her from day one of her release; and, she has a secondary 19 point CPT in her, she was a mess in Ranked.  We won that first match by default and she isn't a ranked ship to use IMO...... 

I don't enlarge or engage in "formless and nameless" reasons because I am a COOP main......  I don't have a Random or Ranked psychosis and play there expecting a "different outcome"......  They are monumentally damage modes of play........he doesn't have to call the kettle black for everyone to know those modes are toxic, RNG and determined by luck messes......  The OP is being Represses !!!   Booo.........Booooooo !   :fish_palm:

PS:  darn, they were Randoms.....

Edited by Asym_KS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,297
[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,625 battles
34 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Historical diversion: sister ships Lord Clyde and Lord Warden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Lord_Clyde_(1864)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Lord_Warden_(1865) 

More disparate fates from the same design, you could not hope to see. 

 

What exactly would you be starting?

Also, it's considered bad form to leave the names in, to the point where it can get you a warning or your post mod-edited. Either crop them out or obscure them somehow.

im not naming shaming and i am not tech savvy at editing so i will remove them but you have seen them 

Edited by tm63au

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,161
Members
1,462 posts
23,591 battles

I now use premium boats as XP gainers when I need a lot of XP, FXP, or (E)CXP, as the premiums have camo that accentuates that. I also have a 19pt capt. in these boats (when possible) to maximize the boat's effectiveness rather than "train" a low-level capt (that way I get more ECXP that I can bestow on the low-level capts). So, essentially, the value of the premium boats comes down to their perma-camo. I realized this as I was debating acquiring Odin. I have the doubloons, but recognized that I already have a super tier 8 BB WITH perma-camo, so I sup'd up Lutjens, assigned him to Bismarck, and wa-la, an excellent XP gainer WITHOUT a 3500 doubloon expense! If I want to play Odin, I'll just deploy my Agir (with Jutland commanding) and pretend a bit. ;)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,944
[ARGSY]
Members
18,825 posts
13,119 battles
1 minute ago, Asym_KS said:

That may be a good assumption but, think for a moment; did he include "Ranked?"  Ah, Ranked is a disaster......an un mitigated quagmire of RNG folly and lopsided results....  Want to bet that those four games had to do with Ranked matches?

And, I like the Odin because I am a COOP main.  You'all that subject yourselves to Random and Ranked (which I won't play anymore after this season) are simply counter intuitive and non value added and are getting worse:......will get a lot worse before, or even if, they can get better (which is too expensive for our host to fix so............)

I think "Was it a problem with your team" covers Ranked nicely, don't you? :Smile_trollface:

Also, while I am by no means a co-op main (at least not to the extent that someone like Adm. Thunder is), Odin's utility in co-op was a strong motivator for me to spend the dubs on this ship. As for Randoms, I've tried her there and she does well if I remember that I'm driving what in functional terms is more like a battlecruiser than a true BB.

Just now, tm63au said:

its naming shaming and i am tech savvy at editing so i will remove them but you have seen them 

I may have seen them, but many others have not (yet).

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,052
[PVE]
Members
3,945 posts
16,811 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I think "Was it a problem with your team" covers Ranked nicely, don't you? :Smile_trollface:

Also, while I am by no means a co-op main (at least not to the extent that someone like Adm. Thunder is), Odin's utility in co-op was a strong motivator for me to spend the dubs on this ship. As for Randoms, I've tried her there and she does well if I remember that I'm driving what in functional terms is more like a battlecruiser than a true BB.

I may have seen them, but many others have not (yet).

A massive understatement ! :cap_haloween:  At least my Grandson is now safely in Blitz !!!

And yes, Odin is a Battle Cruiser in form, fit and function.....  And, the reason I like her.  Imagine her as a commerce raider.  We need a commerce raiding scenario at tier 8.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×