Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kiriantris

Almost 200k...

7 comments in this topic

[PD]
Members
18 posts
2,675 battles

Hi Everyone, looking for a little advice...

I almost hit 200k (184k) for the first time.  There were some things I did wrong which prevented me from reaching that milestone, but what that is I'm not sure.  Half the reds yolo'd into my lap and I was high tier.  I should have been able to squeeze more out of this... I watch a good amount of replay videos out there, but that tends to skew more on "watch this random person get an outrageously high damage value".  So maybe I should just be content with my score.  I would ask my clan for advice but, we are a serious potato fleet. 

So here is my question:  In my GK, would it be better for me to hold my fire until I am almost handed an opportunity to deal massive damage, or should I be trying to shoot as soon as my guns are reloaded even if the shot looks unlikely to pen?

Often, I end up holding fire for someone who never turns.    

Is it my map awareness? Did I take myself out of the action for too long?  Did I choose targets poorly?   Any advice is appreciated.  Replay if interested.

20200729_214322_PGSB110-Grossdeutschland_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay

[ARGSY]
Members
18,811 posts
13,107 battles

Forget the damage. Did you win? Did the damage you inflicted actually make a difference by taking enemy ships off the map or crippling them for your team-mates to finish?

• Cool 3

[ICBM]
Members
736 posts
8,474 battles

In general, you want to hold your fire until you know you have a good chance at getting pens. Battleships have low dpm and must rely on big hits to get the damage they need to sway the game in their team's favor. This is often a matter of experience. My best advice is to spend some time playing cruisers. That will give you insight into what they are thinking and will help you predict their turns.

One reliable predication is that if you get a cruiser who is pushing into you and gets hard-spotted, they will eventually make a turn. They have to, otherwise they keep closing the distance and that is really bad for them. In this case, definitely hold your fire. they are waiting for you to waste your shot when they are nose in, then they will make the turn. One option is to fire one or two turrets, wait for them to turn, then fire the rest. 

One other way to predict is to pay attention to the rest of your team. Is there another BB who will force him to angle and give you broadside? Has the cruiser just spotted a DD that will make him turn to bring all guns to bear? Is he angling against a CV strike or torpedos? Is he doing the cruiser kiting wiggle? 

With time, you will have a good  gut feel on when it is good to shoot. 

• Cool 1

Members
87 posts
5,572 battles
36 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Forget the damage. Did you win? Did the damage you inflicted actually make a difference by taking enemy ships off the map or crippling them for your team-mates to finish?

This...alot of players these days focus on damage farming instead of playing the objective.. It happenes everytime on high tier matches...Dealing large amount of damage is good but the question is are you playing to win or just bragging numbers..

Members
87 posts
5,572 battles
8 hours ago, kiriantris said:

Hi Everyone, looking for a little advice...

I almost hit 200k (184k) for the first time.  There were some things I did wrong which prevented me from reaching that milestone, but what that is I'm not sure.  Half the reds yolo'd into my lap and I was high tier.  I should have been able to squeeze more out of this... I watch a good amount of replay videos out there, but that tends to skew more on "watch this random person get an outrageously high damage value".  So maybe I should just be content with my score.  I would ask my clan for advice but, we are a serious potato fleet. 

So here is my question:  In my GK, would it be better for me to hold my fire until I am almost handed an opportunity to deal massive damage, or should I be trying to shoot as soon as my guns are reloaded even if the shot looks unlikely to pen?

Often, I end up holding fire for someone who never turns.    

Is it my map awareness? Did I take myself out of the action for too long?  Did I choose targets poorly?   Any advice is appreciated.  Replay if interested.

20200729_214322_PGSB110-Grossdeutschland_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay

When playing bb I usually hold my fire if there's an HE spammed around waiting for me to get spotted..If you're undetected and unfortunately broadside to someone just hold your fire angle and shoot... well if you're in good position...

• Cool 1

[PD]
Members
18 posts
2,675 battles

Thanks for the help!   

We did win, I felt I did contribute but sometimes I feel like I could be contributing more.   I'm excited to log in later to work more on my patience and firing control.  I appreciate all the advice! 

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
84 posts
964 battles
3 hours ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

This...alot of players these days focus on damage farming instead of playing the objective.. It happenes everytime on high tier matches...Dealing large amount of damage is good but the question is are you playing to win or just bragging numbers..

Yep, I'm saving my champagne for when I hit 60% win rate...right now I'm a miserable 51% no thanks to ranked and drunken after dark sailings with buddies.  

Sign in to follow this