You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OttoVonPrien

IS Lutjens worth it? anyone have him?

36 comments in this topic

[KMS]
Beta Testers
277 posts
15,853 battles

I have 180K+ coal and all the coal ships, 

will get another coupon in Dec but that will be used to get the Stalingrad and no coupons are usable for commanders anyway.

175K coal is almost what you would pay for a tr 10 ship after using a 25% off coupon

that's a lot of $ for a 10pt commander,  if you think how much a tr9 or tr10 ship runs in the prem shop.

obviously his skills line up for a DD or a CL commander. 

I am thinking the spotting repair boost will most often kick in at start before you take damage, does it repeat?

the most useful would be the firing boots after 140 MG hits. using a program like mxstats will tell you which ships are likely to trigger that skill often enough to be worthwhile.

I don't like spending coal on things I can get with something else, like credits, tokens , even $ or gold. like saving coal for things only coal can get.

Also have 4 normal 10pt cmdrs in reserve doing nothing and only 4 German tree ships left to get (that's counting the CV tr10)

Anyone out there using this commander enough to give me some feedback cause the price is outrageous and the only reason I am thinking about it is nothing else I want to spend my  coal on right now.

I figure the commander is really only worth say $25-30, (by WG prices) and would pay that in Prem. shop if it was offered there and save the coal for latter, but it is not,  so anyone?

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,029 posts
8,822 battles

I use the captain as a full secondary build captain and the skill that boost secondary reload speed after 200 hits is nice to have.

I wish we could get more Lutjens since his perks and certain captain skills really only benefits one class or the other since there is a lack of synergy between them

[WOLF8]
Members
7,118 posts
6,095 battles

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees... lol.

If you want to reach maximum potential with certain kinds of captain builds in German ships, you would really want Lutjens. He's a bit of a jack of all trades, with some kind of a specialty for every ship type.

My 2 coals.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,022 posts
7,801 battles

I don't have him, but Siegfried and Odin have made me want him. That said, there's a pretty simple Lutjens test.

Do you play ships you will use him in more than you would use a single new coal ship, and like his tricks? Then it's a good deal. Otherwise, why not just use a regular commander?

• Cool 1

[KSC]
Supertester
37 posts
8,376 battles

He’s absolutely worth it in my opinion. He has special perks that make him a great captain on any German ship honestly. Be it DD, CA, BB or CV.

Personally I use him as my Hindenburg captain, since it’s very nice to proc his main gun reload perk after 140 shell hits.

[PSV]
Members
523 posts
17,571 battles

Yeah he’s worth it. Works Well on German BBs with secondary build. Also on German CAs with decent ROF - especially Hindenburg and Mainz. Not sure how well he’d work on Agir or Siegfried. I doubt you’d get enough hits in those two to trigger his reload boost.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,837 posts
9,526 battles

If 1 v 1  rank ever comes back, you will want him  - especially for the GZ at VIII.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,815 posts
10,529 battles

I have Lutjens and have stuck him on my Z52.

For your questions:

Yes, the spotting heal is repeatable but rarely pops before I've taken damage.  There are two reasons for this.  First, in a CV game the CV often gets most of the spotting ribbons so the skill tends to proc much further into the game, effectively giving you a 3k HP for free.  Second, if there are no CVs you're spotting ribbons will generally come from cruisers trying to shoot you or contact with the enemy DD.  Both of those situations usually lead to you taking some damage, so the heal isn't wasted.  I don't think the skill will be anywhere near as effective on cruisers or BBs however.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,346 posts
13,767 battles
10 minutes ago, jondoom said:

Why not get Kuznetsov or the French guy?

Because he probably plays German ships, not Russian or French.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,586 posts
3,420 battles

If only other captains were as op as kuznetzov. =) 

[RCNW3]
Members
1,907 posts
18,144 battles

Are any other COAL ships coming out soon?  This would be the only limiting factor  

Edited by Panzer1113

[AN2AC]
Members
78 posts
7,768 battles

I have him as a secondary build and use him on my Bismark and both Tirpitz's. haven't tried him on Odin yet, but that's possibly 4 ships he can jump around on.

Alpha Tester
6,312 posts
3,134 battles

Lutjens in a German BB or a secondary spec'ed Zeppelin might be one of the most powerful things in the game.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,645 posts
22,602 battles

If you're absolutely swimming in the resources, yes.

If you're on a tight resource budget, then no.  For the resource, I'd say a ship is more important.  Georgia, Thunderer are there, and both are kind of a big deal.

As nice as Lutjens is, a good point regular German captain will still make your German ship do well.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
473 posts
17,015 battles

I have him and really like him.

He is on my GK with a pure secondary build.  In coop, if he gets close to anything (less than 10km or so), it looks like a torrent of fire coming down on the enemy.  The 12 main guns just add that much extra to the fight.

[RLGN]
Members
13,734 posts
23,957 battles

Have him, and several other such commanders, but hardly ever use him.

Pretty much always considered the special skill activators (of all such commanders,) a bit of a joke. Nice if you can cause the circumstances to activate them at the drop of a hat, pretty pointless otherwise.

Probably the only one I use with any regularity is Jack Dunkirk; and that just because I’ve had him since Dynamo and Gallant were originally released.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
634 posts
13,476 battles

I run lutjens on my T-61. It's fairly easy to get the spotting and reload perks activated.  If a ship goes dark even if it has been spotted beforehand by someone else. Once you spotting them again that counts as a spotting ribbon.  140 hits mid to late game if you keep them gunz ablaizin :cap_rambo:to kick in the booster. It will then really shine if you've reserved that last smoke and someone is still alive and able to spot. 

[O7]
Members
953 posts
3,816 battles

Lutjens and Halsey are the most powerful commanders in the game.

Absolutely get it if you plan on playing cruisers and destroyers, the commander is useless on battleships.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,450 posts
10,877 battles
1 hour ago, BlailBlerg said:

If only other captains were as op as kuznetzov. =) 

I got him . Now I'm not a good player but he seems overrated to me . I keep hearing how great he is but I don't think he's worth all that coal .

Maybe if I can improve he will be more useful to me so it's probable on my end that I cant make him work . 

[RKLES]
Members
12,443 posts
14,160 battles
3 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

I use the captain as a full secondary build captain and the skill that boost secondary reload speed after 200 hits is nice to have.

I wish we could get more Lutjens since his perks and certain captain skills really only benefits one class or the other since there is a lack of synergy between them

Yeah that seems to be the way it is with captains like Admiral Lutjens and Admiral Yamamoto, they are so useful on any class of ship and yet we only get one of them instead of the 2+ of them like a Nation like Russia would get.

Members
493 posts
4,656 battles

All I know is these captains are WAY overpriced. 

[AN2AC]
Members
78 posts
7,768 battles
1 hour ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Absolutely get it if you plan on playing cruisers and destroyers, the commander is useless on battleships.

I guess that depends on your skill level and what ships you like to play? why do you say useless on BB's?

I've on just got the Hindenburgh and GK and have played them much yet. German DD's don't really do it for me.

24 minutes ago, exray0 said:

All I know is these captains are WAY overpriced. 

Again it depends on how you want to use him. On one ship that's a bit expensive unless you play and win a lot.

As I have said earlier I use him on my Bismark (tech tree) and use him on my two premium Tirpitz's. that's one 19 point captain across 3 ships. Its 2 19 point captains I don't need/ have to train at the moment. Its possible he could also be used on the Odin, making it 4 ships. He is also not TOO bad to put on Graf Spee & Prinz Eugene and not sure about Mainz or Seigfried.

But while you are building towards 19 point commanders, it gives you a lot of alternatives.

That's definitely worth the coal in my books.

[WOLF4]
Members
344 posts
16,455 battles

i use Lutgens on Mainz and Hindy. Aside the 140 hits sometimes mid to late game I get the spotting award also on the Mainz by then usually taking damage also though. Yes i think it was worth it as long as you have the xtra coal to splurge with.

[FAE]
Members
2,586 posts
3,420 battles
2 hours ago, clammboy said:

I got him . Now I'm not a good player but he seems overrated to me . I keep hearing how great he is but I don't think he's worth all that coal .

Maybe if I can improve he will be more useful to me so it's probable on my end that I cant make him work . 

You are right that the cost is a lot. That is a very fair point. 

However, aside form the cost, which is no stopper for a very skilled player, the problem is that the abilities are just really darn good. The extra survival basically always procs, and is always useful, and generally most very skilled players know how to chain that into another heal or to wreak havoc for just enough longer. Not only that but it synergies perfectly with the RU BB tackiness against both AP and HE due to the armor. (Edit: Always useful when you're losing, which is when you NEED it. Things that help you further along when you've already won are a moot point) 

See the thing is also Kuznetzov "stacks" on all the other powerful effects you can have and lets you go "over the top" of normal players without kuznetzov. 

Therefore I argue that the cost alone isn't balancing enough. 

Also, as a coal starved player, I can assure you its powerful enough and activates enough for me to highly consider it worth the investment, even against something like a Georgia or Thunderer. 

Kuznetzov let's you be the best. That always has value. (Even if Thundere and Georgia are exceptionally great ships, no lie) 

Edited by BlailBlerg