You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

T9 tech tree ships, are they worth having?

50 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
4,577 posts
12,800 battles

The T9 premiums & ships for resources aren't bad. They come with permanent camos & the perks of those camos.

It's $16 for a perma-camo for a T9 ships, if you need one. It is difficult to break even without premium days & a camo & close to impossible in a coop. Resupply cost are rather high at T9.

How often do you play a T9 ship after you reached T10 in that line?

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,732 posts

Depends more on the ship. 

Roon is IMO literally a stripped-down Hindenburg.

Iowa on the other hand is still good.  

Still enjoying multiple tier 9 DDs, too. 

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,442 posts
6,282 battles

yeah maybe,except izumo.

Members
99 posts
1,351 battles

T9 has sort of become the new comfy tier, being up tiered to 10 doesn't matter so much and being top tier is a huge leap in power, there's also a lot of great ships at 9.

Edited by BasedCoomer
  • Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
978 posts

If you have the port slots, yes. They are good for snowflake events. Otherwise, no. Even the perma camos are crap at that tier.

A lot of people claimed that the Fletcher was better than the Gearing because it offered more flexibility.
As a casual player, I can safely say that WG was correct, and the Gearing is a slightly better ship.

[KWF]
Members
4,191 posts
6,355 battles

Fletcher, Z-46, Kitakaze, Tashkent make their tier X successors often look like sidegrades.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 4

[RAWR]
Members
169 posts
2,213 battles

Some are stinkers, some are keepers. They don't have nearly as good permacamo options as regular tech tree tier 10s, so it will be more expensive relatively speaking if you splurge on such camo. Its up to pwrsonal preference if you really like the ship on a case by case basis.

[G-4W]
Members
40 posts
5,064 battles

Izumo is the only T9 ship I’ve sold. Iowa is my favorite ship in the game. 

[ARGSY]
Members
18,956 posts
13,161 battles
25 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

yeah maybe,except izumo.

Izumo isn't the steaming t**D she used to be. I enjoyed my Izumo grind.

• Cool 1

[KMS]
Beta Testers
280 posts
15,881 battles
31 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

about 30%The T9 premiums & ships for resources aren't bad. They come with permanent camos & the perks of those camos.

It's $16 for a perma-camo for a T9 ships, if you need one. It is difficult to break even without premium days & a camo & close to impossible in a coop. Resupply cost are rather high at T9.

Looking at my profile I play my tr9s 30% less than my tr 10s, but I enjoy playing them. you will get a lot of tr10 battles,, but you will also get more xp for damage to them because of the Tr dif.  

I am retired and play for fun (to old to chase wild women half my age, and not a $Trump$ to have them chase me) but some tr9s are a bit unique, take a look at the 

Friesland (gun only DD- plays like an Atlanta) // Benham (torp city DD) // Yugumo (good all around CA with good torps)

Jean Bart for a BB though nothing wrong with Missouri,

But next time premium time goes on sale, get it if you can swing it, talking about the 360 day option, lesser amounts are a lot more per day.

Premium is well worth it and your overall credit and xp boost means you can even play money losers more often

but for regular tree ships the Alsace with a secondary build set up is wicked and very popular

[META_]
Members
714 posts
15,163 battles

Fletcher is still good, but most including myself play the tier 9 premiums... My favorite tiers in the game are 6,8,9 but alot of them are premiums.... I have premium camo on my Iowa but musashi, Missouri, are better than the iowa... Then I mostly play tier 9 super cruisers.. Kronshtadt, Alaska, Azuma.... I play a ton of tier 9 but feel the tech tree tier 9s are mostly behind.. Good luck 

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,815 posts
10,577 battles

Tier 9 is one of the most comfortable tiers MM-wise at the moment, and also one of the tiers that get featured in ranked sprints or snowflake events.   I recommend keeping any t9 ship that you enjoyed playing through, and none of the tier 9 premiums are bad.

Personally I play them quite frequently when I'm in "play for fun mode" and they're also good to have on hand if you have any clanmates who are grinding up a line.  T9 is often the longest grind so it's nice to have to ship to div up with them in.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,823 posts
4,613 battles

Depends.  My Alsace is permanent. Even bought the camo (on sale).  Others I might keep, but not buy the camo.

[UNNAT]
Members
1,123 posts
5,885 battles

Yuugumo and Kitakaze are both still loads of fun. 

[TDRB]
Members
4,577 posts
12,800 battles

At one time it seemed as if no one in the forum cared for any T9 tech tree ship.

The fact I enjoy mid tiers better than the top tiers causes me to be a little bias against T9 & T10.

Members
81 posts
1,987 battles

I am enjoying the FDG a lot and typically can get 2-3 kills per game in it. I love hunting destroyers. I don't know if I'd keep it after getting Grosser Kurfurst, but I still do have my Bismarck so I probably would. I'm not sure why FDG gets all the hate that it does. The only upgrade I've done as far as research is the B Hull.I haven't gotten the improved range, speed, or main battery upgrade. I'm 3/4 of the way to Kurfurst with little investment in terms of research points

[INTEL]
Members
12,515 posts
34,740 battles

You bet. Now that T7 is screwed and T8 always uptiered, and the play at T10 is such crap, T9 is the new sweet spot. 

• Haha 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,222 posts
15,376 battles

Well depending on how you feel about CV's and MM tier 9 is a very nice tier at the moment. 

Very high chance of having tier 9 only match and no CV's.

Now none of the above is a concern for me but tier 9 has a bunch of very nice ships. Including some very good special ships. 

[WOLF3]
Members
25,755 posts
22,652 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

The T9 premiums & ships for resources aren't bad. They come with permanent camos & the perks of those camos.

Depends.  There's lots of variables.

Some of the IX tech tree ships are fantastic:  Jutland, Kitakaze come immediately to mind.

Then again, for the purpose of Randoms, why keep playing Tier IX tech tree if you already have the Tier X?

Why keep playing Roon, which is a good IX CA, when you got the absolutely, far superior Hindenburg?

Why keep playing Iowa when you got Montana?

Why keep playing Izumo when you got Yamato? :Smile_trollface:

Why keep playing Neptune when you got the much better Minotaur?

Why keep playing Seattle when you got Worcester? :Smile_trollface:

Sovetsky Soyuz is actually a very solid thug in Tier IX BBs, but why keep playing her when you got Kremlin?

The last big variable is having a solid Tier IX ship if you do Ranked.  Here are the last 2 Ranked occasions for Tier IX.

Season 13, August - September 2019.  Most recent of IX Ranked.

Season 11, January - February 2019.

I've long said Tier IX is one of the most unbalanced tiers in the game and a number of Premiums break the tier.  Go in those stats and you'll see:

- Tech Tree Cruisers do horribly;  Super Cruisers are the only things with a Cruiser icon doing well.  You can actually look at the battles logged and see that people tried tech tree Cruisers and then gave up on them.

- For BBs, Premium BBs Jean Bart, Musashi, Georgia set the tone that the tech tree BBs have difficulty keeping up with.  Sovetsky Soyuz turns in respectable performances, but the other tech tree ones, not so much.  Iowa and Izumo in particular suck a**.

- However, tech tree DDs Jutland, Kitakaze, Mogador did very well.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,724 posts
19,709 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

LION, ALSACE, FDG, ST. LOUIS,  BALTIMORE, DRAKE,  KITTY, YUGAMO, FLETCHER, CHUNG MU, JUTLAND, TRASHCAN, UDOLOI, and OSTERGOTLAND are all very strong and enjoyable ships to play.

[CVA16]
Members
5,123 posts
15,315 battles

At tier 9, are any of the tech tree ships as good as (or better) than the premium ships? The economics favor the premiums but comparing Buffalo vs Alaska or Iowa vs Missouri,  Musashi vs about anything, makes the premiums appear the easy winners. Maybe not by a huge margin, but enough to make the choice clear.

Edit:

Haze's post that came in while I typed mine pretty much answers the question. For BBs and cruisers, it is premium all the way. DDs are mix. YRMV

Edited by Sabot_100

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,524 posts
11,013 battles

seeing as 3 of them are some of the most powerful/ greatest money making ship in the game, Alaska, Musashi and Missouri, id say yes, yes it is worth it to have them

*edit* didnt notice it said tech tree ships, T9 seems to be the "paygate" as many call it, for some lines, like how people hate the FDG, Izumo, Seattle, just to name a few

Edited by tcbaker777

[DDMAF]
Members
2,823 posts
16,146 battles

The best tier for tech tree destroyers. Yugumo is in a tough spot, but still a good ship. Otherwise, every other DD at that tier (yeah, even Chung Mu) is very strong.

• Cool 1