You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Koogus

Atlanta playstyle question

52 comments in this topic

[KNCOL]
[KNCOL]
Members
725 posts
1,641 battles

Recently seen the Atlanta summer camo which I found to look pretty nice which got me into thinking about getting the Atlanta.

My question is that is the only way to play Atlanta well is to constantly be hiding behind islands and he spam or is it possible to do a slightly more aggressive play style?

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,394 posts
6,232 battles

do the lightly agressive play and you might find yourself looking at your port screen faster than it takes to count to 10.

• Haha 1

[PISD]
Members
1,092 posts
4,965 battles

depends of what you call aggressive style. Pushing into a DD? Yes.  But she is somewhat clumsy with poor shell velocity, yolo only torpedo and no armor. Plus her concealment is not that great. So she is quite hate to play.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,623 posts
22,583 battles

When I sailed my BBs, I loved it when an Atlanta thought it could fight me in open water.  Even with AFT her max gun range is 13.34km, which to most of the BBs she encounters, is "EZ To Hit."

Her armor and Citadel is very exposed.

1-2 salvos is all it takes to send her to Port.

There's one good reason (Battleships) why Atlanta is a reknowned island camper.

Atlanta can be deadly to DDs as long as there's nothing else out here trying to molest her Citadel while trying to fight the DD.  Even then in an Atlanta vs DD scenario, the DD is going to outspot Atlanta by a very significant distance and not be in Atlanta's Radar range.  You would need an absolute Potato DD player to keep pushing in towards Atlanta.  A decent DD player will simply outspot Atlanta in open water and let bigger ships crucify the ATL.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
9,953 posts
16,768 battles
4 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Recently seen the Atlanta summer camo which I found to look pretty nice which got me into thinking about getting the Atlanta.

My question is that is the only way to play Atlanta well is to constantly be hiding behind islands and he spam or is it possible to do a slightly more aggressive play style?

Atlanta is one of the best ships for doing Operation Narai. If you learn how to run her in it you can get max bonus's.

[KNCOL]
[KNCOL]
Members
725 posts
1,641 battles
11 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

depends of what you call aggressive style. Pushing into a DD? Yes.  But she is somewhat clumsy with poor shell velocity, yolo only torpedo and no armor. Plus her concealment is not that great. So she is quite hate to play.

Do you know or recomend any premiums that are similar to the Atlanta but can be played more aggressively?

[OIL-1]
Members
907 posts

Has a steep learning curve, requires a 19 pt captain, and took a hit from the IFHE nerf.
But it's a whole lot of fun to play in co-op and operations.
I've barely used mine for randoms, so can't comment on that.
Got over 1,000 battles on it in co-op, and once spent 7 full days farming Narai with it.

If the price is in line, I'll be getting that Tropic camo:Smile_Default:

[REVY]
Members
2,129 posts
11,582 battles
17 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Atlanta today is not the Atlanta of old.

Essentially, she is a Large DD with a Citadel, no smoke, and short ranged torpedoes.

Atlanta is kinda unique in her 5in guns mounts. The only ships that are similar are Worcester and Smolensk.

Really none of the rapid fire ships are overly armored and all can be deleted when focused on.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,549 posts

First thought on Atlanta... find someone with Smoke who is willing to share. 

Second, find an advantageous island.  

Atlanta exposed in open water has issues, IMO. 

For extra lulz, div up with a smoke cruiser, and combine the smoke and radar... picture the amount of fire that would come out of the cloud around a Flint and Atlanta.  

[PISD]
Members
1,092 posts
4,965 battles
6 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Do you know or recomend any premiums that are similar to the Atlanta but can be played more aggressively?

1- keep your money

2-grind the British CL line

3- play radar minotaur

4- profit

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
4,168 posts
6,337 battles
9 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Flint should appear at some point for coal, been a while since it was pulled.

Think Atlanta with it's own inflatable island (smoke generator), Benson torpedoes, and all that at the expense of the Radar and 2 turrets.

• Cool 1

[PISD]
Members
1,092 posts
4,965 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Flint should appear at some point for coal, been a while since it was pulled.

Think Atlanta with it's own inflatable island (smoke generator), Benson torpedoes, and all that at the expense of the Radar and 2 turrets. 

and even the ''2 turrets'' is misleading: she basically lose one since she can never use both wing turrets.

[1CVDV]
Members
90 posts
10,344 battles

Helena is not a premium,but it is a t7 light cruiser that is a damage dealing beast of a ship.also Helena has (15:3x5)152 barrels.as Atlanta has(16:8x2)127 barrels with 1 turret that is on other side of forecastle so you cant even use it..Helena is the better ship trust me on this....you will love her play style.

[1CVDV]
Members
90 posts
10,344 battles

also I might add you can be a bit more aggressive with Helena.without looking at armor layout I do believe she has a slightly thicker skin.in a knife fight a Helena will slap the sh** out of an Atlanta.

[PISD]
Members
1,092 posts
4,965 battles
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Can the Atlanta fire both wing turrets straight ahead at the same time, or is there a slight outward angle? 

she can't. at best she can bring 8 barrels on the front.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
643 posts
20 minutes ago, Koogus said:

• Kitakaze
  • Harugumo come to mind not premiums
  • Colbert but you have to be good.
Edited by Learux

[1CVDV]
Members
90 posts
10,344 battles

I believe they both can be fired forward,kinda like the Murmansk I would think.not 100% sure because I don't believe I have ever tried.

[SRBL]
Members
426 posts
10,566 battles
22 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Flint when it comes back out. With smoke you can set up in open water just outside your detection range and burn people to the ground. Plus it has better torps at 8km. 

You 100% need a 19pt captain but it can be a fun ship.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,430 posts
18,535 battles
20 minutes ago, z9_ said:

took a hit from the IFHE nerf.

She took a bigger hit from the CV rework, when she lost her long range AA. Used to be the definition of a no fly zone, now not even dangerous.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,549 posts
9 minutes ago, Umikami said:

She took a bigger hit from the CV rework, when she lost her long range AA. Used to be the definition of a no fly zone, now not even dangerous.

Too much of the damage was moved into the flak bursts, and then the flak bursts were made too predicable and avoidable. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
25,623 posts
22,583 battles
15 minutes ago, Umikami said:

This.  In the RTS CV Days, Atlanta was a No Fly Zone in Tier VII and made even later tier CV players be careful.  With 7.2km AA Build range, she was good in that job.  She also greeted those fresh new CV player with their Tier V & VI CVs.  Atlanta and old school Tier VI Cleveland were the "Welcome to the Serengeti" AA ships for new CV players.

The Rebork gutted the old AA monsters.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,861 posts
8,820 battles
51 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Its It's possible, but your positioning needs to be top notch.

Being agressive vs DDs is great, as long as nobody else can bop you. You can also be agressive against lone BBs in some cases, e.g. lower tier players that seemingly ignore you, or when you catch someone with turrets that are facing the other direction.

And if you div with someone that brings smoke, this opens all kinds of possible aggressive plays.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,861 posts
8,820 battles
41 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Huanghe. Perth. Flint. Smol. Kuta (although she's no longer sold).

Any HE spammer with smoke, basically.