Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cynder_TheDragon

Looking for recommendations for 2 ships

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
16 posts
498 battles

So I am coming back to warships after a pretty long time off from the game , I forgot I had purchased the Tier 5 USS Texas. I am wondering what Captain skills should I put on to this ship? I don't plan on using this commander to any other ship so I don't need to worry about retraining and what not. My second ship I was also looking for help with is the Tier 7 US New Mexico my captain currently has 10 skill points but I do not know what skills I should get for it. The only skill I do currently have is: Preventive maintenance , Expert Marksman , Adrenaline Rush  

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,495
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,862 posts
8,829 battles
1 hour ago, Cynder_TheDragon said:

So I am coming back to warships after a pretty long time off from the game , I forgot I had purchased the Tier 5 USS Texas. I am wondering what Captain skills should I put on to this ship?

PT (personal choice, feel free to grab incoming fire alert or PM)

AR, EM

BoS, SI

FP, CE

This is a standard BB build, works well for NM also. Specifically for Texas, you can replace SI with BFT, for more AA dakka.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
286
[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,030 posts
13,919 battles

@Cynder_TheDragon

 

Unless you meant the Colorado, which is the 7, build New Mexico with survivabililty (which works well with most, if not all BB's).

 

Core: Preventative Maintenance, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, Fire Prevention.

Auxiliary (this will vary, but what I have seen used): Expert Marksman or Jack of All Trades, Basics of Survivability, Concealment Expert.

 

Personally, I have Basic Firing Training and Advanced Firing Training, mainly because I've not bothered to switch them since rework dropped, and I only use her in Operations (Scenarios).  She's not going to go anywhere fast, so you'll get hammered often; keep that in mind.

 

If you want to push past New Mexico and reach Colorado a sooner, spam New Mexico in Operations.  Once they "fix" Narai (T7 Operation) and it becomes available again, you can spam Colorado there to reach North Carolina faster.  It's upto you on how you wish to go about it.  There is a noticeable change between Colorado and North Carolina, most notably: speed.  In the past, if you absolutely hated using New Mexico and Colorado, you had to either beat your head against a wall till it broke and/or splash FXP.  With Operations, you will get through them with much less of a headache (save Defense of Naval Station Newport), and in a good amount of time too boot. :Smile_Default:  However, if you are one of the few that enjoy them (guilty), then by all means go about as you have. :Smile_great:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
16 posts
498 battles
On 7/29/2020 at 3:20 PM, Volron said:

@Cynder_TheDragon

 

Unless you meant the Colorado, which is the 7, build New Mexico with survivabililty (which works well with most, if not all BB's).

 

Core: Preventative Maintenance, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, Fire Prevention.

Auxiliary (this will vary, but what I have seen used): Expert Marksman or Jack of All Trades, Basics of Survivability, Concealment Expert.

 

Personally, I have Basic Firing Training and Advanced Firing Training, mainly because I've not bothered to switch them since rework dropped, and I only use her in Operations (Scenarios).  She's not going to go anywhere fast, so you'll get hammered often; keep that in mind.

 

If you want to push past New Mexico and reach Colorado a sooner, spam New Mexico in Operations.  Once they "fix" Narai (T7 Operation) and it becomes available again, you can spam Colorado there to reach North Carolina faster.  It's upto you on how you wish to go about it.  There is a noticeable change between Colorado and North Carolina, most notably: speed.  In the past, if you absolutely hated using New Mexico and Colorado, you had to either beat your head against a wall till it broke and/or splash FXP.  With Operations, you will get through them with much less of a headache (save Defense of Naval Station Newport), and in a good amount of time too boot. :Smile_Default:  However, if you are one of the few that enjoy them (guilty), then by all means go about as you have. :Smile_great:

No im not referring to the Colorado, I don't even have that unlocked yet , Im sticking with the New Mexico for a bit even after unlocking the Colorado just to level up my captain some more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
286
[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,030 posts
13,919 battles
35 minutes ago, Cynder_TheDragon said:

No im not referring to the Colorado, I don't even have that unlocked yet , Im sticking with the New Mexico for a bit even after unlocking the Colorado just to level up my captain some more

I was fairly certain you were talking about New Mexico specifically.  Was pulling you leg a little, no harm meant. :Smile-_tongue:

 

That is solid plan, especially if you are enjoying her.  Once you reach Colorado, you will start to encounter 8's, and every now and again 9's; with the occasional rare 10's.  Usually the only time I've seen 7's with 10's is if they division'd with a Premium 7.  The Prem 7's have an occasional habit of pulling you into higher tier Prems, which they themselves will pull in 10's.  You will need the core skills at the very least.  If you can, Concealment Expert after those, or at the very least, Basics of Survivability.  However, what's good about Colorado is even against 10's, her AP will still hurt.  It won't happen as often as I make it sound, but it's best you are aware of the rarity. :Smile_great:

 

If you feel you are ready to move to Colorado, but you also feel that your Captain isn't high enough in level, I will go back to what I suggested for pushing through New Mexico/Colorado:  Spam Operations.  You don't actually have to use Operations as a means to get to the next tier.  It's also a good place to train/retrain Captains in quick order.  Don't feel like burning Elite Captain XP/Free XP or Doubloons but want consistent wins, spam Operations.  I will warn you that if you choose this route: Defense of Naval Station Newport is currently the most difficulty Operation to win, let alone 5 star (which gives highest rewards).  So if you tend to run special economy flags in general and do an Operations match with Newport as Op of the Week, take those flags off.  Unless you divi up with a team of players who know what they are doing, you are likely going to be tossing those flags away.

 

Oh, and before I forget.  The 4th Star Reward for Operations is a 10pt Captain, or should be (It no longer shows how many points go with the Captain for me).  At the very least do the Operation for the 4th star to get a 10pt Captain ("core Captain" as I call them).  Current Operation: Raptor Rescue will award you with a 10pt USN Captain.  Newport is a 10pt IJN Captain; Aegis, a 10pt RU Captain; Killer Whale, 10pt KM Captain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,631
[FML]
Members
3,730 posts
14,857 battles
On 7/30/2020 at 3:47 AM, Cynder_TheDragon said:

So I am coming back to warships after a pretty long time off from the game , I forgot I had purchased the Tier 5 USS Texas. I am wondering what Captain skills should I put on to this ship? I don't plan on using this commander to any other ship so I don't need to worry about retraining and what not. My second ship I was also looking for help with is the Tier 7 US New Mexico my captain currently has 10 skill points but I do not know what skills I should get for it. The only skill I do currently have is: Preventive maintenance , Expert Marksman , Adrenaline Rush  

As the Texas is a premium ship, I suggest you run your New Mexico captain in your Texas as well. That way, your same captain will earn more captain experience and level up faster. All USN battleships can run and benefit from the standard survivability build (outlined in an earlier posts in this thread). 
 

If you want to keep a tech tree battleship, say the Iowa, you can then retrain your Texas captain to the Iowa and pop him back into your Texas to continue to level up. Meanwhile, your NM captain becomes your CO captain, NC, Iowa then Montana captain, and you avoid the retraining penalty by using your Texas each time. 
 

See here for further info on premium ships

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,246 posts
9,269 battles
On 7/29/2020 at 1:47 PM, Cynder_TheDragon said:

So I am coming back to warships after a pretty long time off from the game , I forgot I had purchased the Tier 5 USS Texas. I am wondering what Captain skills should I put on to this ship? I don't plan on using this commander to any other ship so I don't need to worry about retraining and what not. My second ship I was also looking for help with is the Tier 7 US New Mexico my captain currently has 10 skill points but I do not know what skills I should get for it. The only skill I do currently have is: Preventive maintenance , Expert Marksman , Adrenaline Rush  

Your mileage may vary.  I tend to take the following.  

Preventive Maintenance
Last Stand (never be "dead in the water", eh?)  Another popular alternative would be Expert Marksman (which you already have) or Adrenaline Rush
Superintendent (for additional consumables)
Advanced Firing Training (to improve the range of secondary battery guns and the performance of AA guns.)  [I often combine this with the ship module upgrade that provides a 20% improvement in secondary battery range and a 20% improvement in secondary battery accuracy]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The above totals to 10 skill points.

If you have more skill points to work with, then spend them on stuff you feel will be useful with your play style.

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
286
[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,030 posts
13,919 battles
1 hour ago, Volron said:

If you feel you are ready to move to Colorado, but you also feel that your Captain isn't high enough in level, I will go back to what I suggested for pushing through New Mexico/Colorado:  Spam Operations.  You don't actually have to use Operations as a means to get to the next tier.  It's also a good place to train/retrain Captains in quick order.  Don't feel like burning Elite Captain XP/Free XP or Doubloons but want consistent wins, spam Operations.  I will warn you that if you choose this route: Defense of Naval Station Newport is currently the most difficulty Operation to win, let alone 5 star (which gives highest rewards).  So if you tend to run special economy flags in general and do an Operations match with Newport as Op of the Week, take those flags off.  Unless you divi up with a team of players who know what they are doing, you are likely going to be tossing those flags away.

 

Oh, and before I forget.  The 4th Star Reward for Operations is a 10pt Captain, or should be (It no longer shows how many points go with the Captain for me).  At the very least do the Operation for the 4th star to get a 10pt Captain ("core Captain" as I call them).  Current Operation: Raptor Rescue will award you with a 10pt USN Captain.  Newport is a 10pt IJN Captain; Aegis, a 10pt RU Captain; Killer Whale, 10pt KM Captain.

@Cynder_TheDragon

 

There is something that honestly slipped my mind:  While yes, Operations will allow you to train/retrain Captains a bit quicker, I forgot the obvious thing about this: Having Arizona and/or West Virginia (or a Prem 6 for the respective nation you are working) to facilitate this.  It will cost Credits/Doubloons/ECXP/FXP to train to a higher tier ship.  The back and forth will be costly without a Prem 6, and while you could stick until your Captain is 19pt on New Mexico, it still going to cost you 2000k (500 per) Doubloons or 800k (200k per) ECXP/FXP total, if you wish to retrain a 19pt Captain instantly.  Otherwise you are looking at 800k (200k per) credits total for a 50% retrain with a bit of time with skills at 50% effectiveness as you advance in Tiers.  The numbers are given from a starting point of New Mexico for a 19pt Captain.  It will naturally be cheaper if your Captain is lower in level.

 

I apologize for spacing this critical piece of information. :Smile_facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
167
[WOLF6]
Members
428 posts
3,382 battles
On 7/29/2020 at 10:47 AM, Cynder_TheDragon said:

So I am coming back to warships after a pretty long time off from the game , I forgot I had purchased the Tier 5 USS Texas. I am wondering what Captain skills should I put on to this ship?

Welcome back.

Generally, you want to take one skill at each point level up to 10 points.  Taking multiple 1 or 2 pt skills before you reach 10 will delay your first 4 pt skill, and is not advised.

Base 10 pt. build for every BB in the game is: PT, EM, SI, then CE or FP.  NM has good concealment, so you can get away with taking FP first. 

At 14, take the other 4 pt skill (FP/CE).  After that, you take AR, and then either BOS, or JOAT+EL.

Note that this matches the build Vak recommended, I just added the order in which you want the skills.

As mentioned, run the same commander on your TX for faster training.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:40 AM, TheGreatBlasto said:

Google : WOWS Wiki Texas and then click on Captain's Madd Skillz.

The wiki is a great source of information, but it does not contain builds.  It only rates skills for each ship.  If a player doesn't know this, or know about builds, the wiki can steer them wrong.

2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Your mileage may vary.  I tend to take the following.  

Preventive Maintenance
Last Stand (never be "dead in the water", eh?)  Another popular alternative would be Expert Marksman (which you already have) or Adrenaline Rush
Superintendent (for additional consumables)
Advanced Firing Training (to improve the range of secondary battery guns and the performance of AA guns.)  [I often combine this with the ship module upgrade that provides a 20% improvement in secondary battery range and a 20% improvement in secondary battery accuracy]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That's pretty suboptimal, to be honest.

PM - Of little or no use on the vast majority of BBs.  PT is superior.  The only BBs I would consider taking PM are BBs with torps (eg Tirpitz) or ones with few/easily disabled turrets (eg JB/Richy).

LS - waste of 2 points.  BBs don't lose propulsion or rudder nearly often enough to justify (ever?).  Your alternates of EM/AR are both vastly superior.

SI - Agreed.

AFT - Only a handful of BBs are worth buffing secondaries, and even then only because it's "fun", not effective.  Certainly not the ones OP mentioned.  Both FP and CE are better for most BBs.

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,246 posts
9,269 battles
1 hour ago, ZoomieG said:

hat's pretty suboptimal, to be honest.

PM - Of little or no use on the vast majority of BBs.  PT is superior.  The only BBs I would consider taking PM are BBs with torps (eg Tirpitz) or ones with few/easily disabled turrets (eg JB/Richy).

LS - waste of 2 points.  BBs don't lose propulsion or rudder nearly often enough to justify (ever?).  Your alternates of EM/AR are both vastly superior.

SI - Agreed.

AFT - Only a handful of BBs are worth buffing secondaries, and even then only because it's "fun", not effective.  Certainly not the ones OP mentioned.  Both FP and CE are better for most BBs.

That's your opinion, since we're "being honest" with each other.  :-D

Priority Target?  Every ship that can see you is going to target you.  Waste of a point.  

I have many ships, including BB's, equipped with torpedoes.  Having the torpedoes knocked out gets old.  Preventive Maintenance helps reduce this problem (but doesn't eliminate it).

Last stand and BB's don't lose propulsion or rudder?  Well, considering the real life history of the Bismarck ...  and my tendency to brawl .... or to hunt DD's with a BB ... or to ... sail in to harm's way ...  
We can agree to disagree.  :-)

Superintendent.  Glad we can agree on something.

Not sure which "handful" you consider worth buffing the secondary battery performance.
I consider the secondary battery to be a worthwhile part of a BB's damage potential.  Also useful in Scenario Operations.  They reload much quicker than the main battery.  Accuracy is not what we'd like it to be, for sure, but hits do get scored.  Serves as a "notification" that a red ship is close when they start shooting and one is busy aiming the main guns on another target.
Several ships can buff the secondary battery range to equal or surpass a DD's main-gun firing range (depending upon the exact ships in question, of course).
Improved AA flak-burst performance, in a world with CV's and catapult aircraft.... well it doesn't hurt.  :-)

Now, if one prefers to sail around and avoid getting closer than 15 km to a target, then a different set of Captain's Skills and modules is more appropriate.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,631
[FML]
Members
3,730 posts
14,857 battles
48 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

That's your opinion, since we're "being honest" with each other.  :-D

Gotta tell ya, I kinda agree with @ZoomieG on this one - I saw your list and disagreed quite a bit.  

48 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Priority Target?  Every ship that can see you is going to target you.  Waste of a point.  

No.  PT it useful because it still signals if someone is lining you up for a shot when you're spotted.  You can be seen and have 1 person aiming at you, or 7 - there is a vast difference and it is helpful to know which it is.  Also, it is helpful to know when an enemy is firing torps at you, as the PT indicator drops by 1 when they switch to torps. So you can take evasive action before the torps are on the way.  

48 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I have many ships, including BB's, equipped with torpedoes.  Having the torpedoes knocked out gets old.  Preventive Maintenance helps reduce this problem (but doesn't eliminate it).

It is a bit of a niche problem - you didnt specify that your recommendation was for torpedo armed battleships only, and battleships without torps (which is the vast majority of them) really dont benefit much from them.  Open air AA guns will still get knocked out by HE, but it may save the occasional secondary turrent - still not as useful at PT.  

48 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Last stand and BB's don't lose propulsion or rudder?  Well, considering the real life history of the Bismarck ...  and my tendency to brawl .... or to hunt DD's with a BB ... or to ... sail in to harm's way ...  
We can agree to disagree.  :-)

No, it is statistically very unlikely that a battleship engine or rudder is damaged - and even then, that DCP is not available to immediately fix it.  Unlike destroyers, whose engines and rudder are often knocked out multiple times a battle due to the volume of HE fired at them and their low armour.  

As such, pretty much any T2 skill would be better than last stand for a battleship.  But particularly AR, EM and JoaT. 

48 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Not sure which "handful" you consider worth buffing the secondary battery performance.
I consider the secondary battery to be a worthwhile part of a BB's damage potential.  Also useful in Scenario Operations.  They reload much quicker than the main battery.  Accuracy is not what we'd like it to be, for sure, but hits do get scored.  Serves as a "notification" that a red ship is close when they start shooting and one is busy aiming the main guns on another target.
Several ships can buff the secondary battery range to equal or surpass a DD's main-gun firing range (depending upon the exact ships in question, of course).
Improved AA flak-burst performance, in a world with CV's and catapult aircraft.... well it doesn't hurt.  :-)

Again, you didnt mention that your build was only for the limited subset of battleships whose secondaries are worth speccing in (ie, most German battleships, Massachusettes, Georgia, Ohio, mid tier and higher french battleships).  

If you think secondaries are worthwhile on all battleships, then you're just giving new players terrible advice.  Other than the ships I have listed, their range is usually dangerously short, they are inaccurate, and they do not deal significant damage.  If you are relying on them as notification that an enemy ship is too close, then you should instead learn to read your minimap better (press + to make it bigger), and/or you'll often get punished out of nowhere as most DDs dont need to get into your secondary range to make you eat a wall of torps.  Hence, speccing for secondaries in most battleships is wasteful. 

48 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Now, if one prefers to sail around and avoid getting closer than 15 km to a target, then a different set of Captain's Skills and modules is more appropriate.  :-)

Dealing with fires is far more important than the skills you have suggested.  That is why ZoomieG's suggested build is vastly superior to yours.  And that's not an opinion; it is fact.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,246 posts
9,269 battles
10 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Your mileage may vary.  I tend to take the following.  

<Edited for brevity>

If you have more skill points to work with, then spend them on stuff you feel will be useful with your play style.

 

5 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Gotta tell ya, I kinda agree with @ZoomieG on this one - I saw your list and disagreed quite a bit.  
<Edited for brevity>
...And that's not an opinion; it is fact.  
 

Your opinion of what is a fact is exactly that, an opinion.
I'm not interested in your attempts to change my mind on the items we don't agree upon.
And I've got a play style that my Captain's Skills choices are selected for, based upon experience and my own analysis.
Nor did I claim that my choices are the best for everyone.  I offered them as a comparison and contrast to the *usual*.

I'm well aware of the options available to me and how they function.

What may be more relevant is the play style involved.  
Randoms with island camping and kiting-away versus Co-op with charging-in and the 'Bots not lacking for courage are different gaming modes and mental environments.
Playing like a *Randoms* player in a Co-op game will leave one breathing smoke fumes and discovering that one's team-mates have sunk all the targets while a *Randoms* Champ is still asking for intelligence data from the back of the battle-area.
Playing like a Co-op main in Randoms will get one sunk quickly from focused-fire from opponents who will turn away once one puts a few scratches on their paint.

Am I using hyperbole to illustrate a point?  Of course I am.

I sail my BB's in to situations that most other BB's won't venture in to.  I've danced among torpedoes from multiple submarines while playing BB's.  
The glacial rate of turret rotation on many BB's and opponents at close range and on both sides of a ship means that the secondary batteries are going to get a workout, in several of the games I've played.

What is fun for me may not be everyone's cup of tea.  And that's fine.  And I've already, at the start, mentioned:  "Your mileage may vary".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
607
[WOLFC]
Members
1,310 posts
8,468 battles
8 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

No.  PT it useful because it still signals if someone is lining you up for a shot when you're spotted.  You can be seen and have 1 person aiming at you, or 7 - there is a vast difference and it is helpful to know which it is.  Also, it is helpful to know when an enemy is firing torps at you, as the PT indicator drops by 1 when they switch to torps. So you can take evasive action before the torps are on the way.  

^This is why I run PT on all my BBs as well. Knowing how many ships are targeting you is very useful for knowing when you need to disengage and go dark, when to push or kite, etc. As a BB you do tend to spend a lot of your time spotted, especially if you are rapidly cycling your guns, and unlike in a DD you can’t really assume that being detected means the whole team is going to focus you.

For example, if I’m pushing a flank and my PT indicator is only 1-2, I’m much more likely to keep pushing. If it’s 5-6, I know I should probably attempt to disengage or assume a more defensive posture. Let’s say I find myself overextended and need to disengage while being unable to go dark. If I know there aren’t many ships focusing me and I can account for the shots of the ships that are, I can time my turn to minimize my risk of being citadeled and start kiting away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,955
[WOLFG]
Members
27,388 posts
7,350 battles
14 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Priority Target?  Every ship that can see you is going to target you. 

That's only true if you are the only ship they can see. If I can see your BB at 15km, and a CA at 10, and/or a DD at 8, I won't be targeting you.

If you know that I'm not targeting you, you can make a turn and escape a bad situation at speed, instead of backing up and getting burned to the waterline by a CL. Or you can quickly advance into a better position, instead of wasting time being cautious when you don't have to be.

Knowing is always better than assuming.

Quote



I have many ships, including BB's, equipped with torpedoes.  Having the torpedoes knocked out gets old.  Preventive Maintenance helps reduce this problem (but doesn't eliminate it).

I can see your point there, I'm not big on torp usage.

Quote

Last stand and BB's don't lose propulsion or rudder?  

Nagato has a glass rudder lol.

Quote

Not sure which "handful" you consider worth buffing the secondary battery performance.

For me, it depends on the guns. I prefer mid-range BB play, but you never know when a DD or CL will pop up at close range.

If I can get decent performance from the guns past 7km or so, I'll often spec for it. 

Nagato for example, the guns really aren't much more than firestarters, and have a slow ROF, so aren't great for brawling. But against DDs, with MFCS, IJN HE hits hard, and can often keep at least 1 fire going at all times. It's not uncommon to solo kill a DD who gets too close (and what DD is scared of closing with a Nagato lol?) without looking at him past the initial click. (and possibly not even that, I make a habit of always pre-selecting a DD when spotted, that way if he pops up later, I don't have to do anything)

Below T7, where MFCS isn't very effective, and ranges are consistently short, I'll spec for it if the firepower is good. (Konig for example)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,955
[WOLFG]
Members
27,388 posts
7,350 battles

 

 

Quote

Dealing with fires is far more important than the skills you have suggested.  That is why ZoomieG's suggested build is vastly superior to yours.  And that's not an opinion; it is fact.  

I agree with that in theory, but I have to say YMMV.

I swapped Nagato and Amagi from FP to MFCS, and I honestly didn't notice any increase in fire severity. I did however, notice an appreciable difference in effectiveness vs. charging DD/CLs, especially after the nerf to BB AP vs. DDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,246 posts
9,269 battles
22 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

 

Nagato has a glass rudder lol.

For me, it depends on the guns. I prefer mid-range BB play, but you never know when a DD or CL will pop up at close range.

If I can get decent performance from the guns past 7km or so, I'll often spec for it. 

Nagato for example, the guns really aren't much more than firestarters, and have a slow ROF, so aren't great for brawling. But against DDs, with MFCS, IJN HE hits hard, and can often keep at least 1 fire going at all times. It's not uncommon to solo kill a DD who gets too close (and what DD is scared of closing with a Nagato lol?) without looking at him past the initial click. (and possibly not even that, I make a habit of always pre-selecting a DD when spotted, that way if he pops up later, I don't have to do anything)

Below T7, where MFCS isn't very effective, and ranges are consistently short, I'll spec for it if the firepower is good. (Konig for example)

I enjoy sailing Nagato in Operation Narai.
With 7.2 km secondaries, the red DD's get close enough to get hit, and, it is fun to see the secondaries reach out and hit the red ships, of all sizes, that get close enough.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,955
[WOLFG]
Members
27,388 posts
7,350 battles
9 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I enjoy sailing Nagato in Operation Narai.
With 7.2 km secondaries, the red DD's get close enough to get hit, and, it is fun to see the secondaries reach out and hit the red ships, of all sizes, that get close enough.
 

7.2? No signal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,246 posts
9,269 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

7.2? No signal?

Nah.  :-)

Signals that provide credits, reduced service costs, XP, CXP and FXP are welcome, but usually only mounted when I want them.
Special signals that provide huge bonuses are used for Captain Training sessions.

Otherwise, I might run a ramming flag, but usually it is just economic and Captain Training flags, if I run them at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,631
[FML]
Members
3,730 posts
14,857 battles
14 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Your opinion of what is a fact is exactly that, an opinion.

Sir, you are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts.  Just because I believe the moon is made of cheese, does not make it so.  

Suggesting some skills without important caveats like 'this is for coop mains in order to maximise firepower' or 'this only applies to battleships with strong secondaries' etc risks misleading newer/less experienced players into thinking that the range of skills you have presented is optimal.  It simply is not optimal for most battleships.  Yes, it can be statistically proven in an objective way.  Relying on a statement like 'your mileage may vary' is a cop out, frankly.  But that is just my opinion.  

This may shock you, but I play a mixture of coop and randoms, some ranked and scenarios. I understand and support the argument you are trying to make: that maximising firepower (including with secondaries) is helpful in coop because the battles dont usually last long enough to warrant survivability.  But if that was truly the case, you wouldnt have suggested Superintendent because you almost never get the time to use that last heal in coop - there is rarely enough time to use five heals in a drawn out ranked slugfest.  An even in coop, survivability/fire prevention builds are still helpful because bots shoot accurate HE at max range,  and the chance of eating torps is high so reducing flooding damage can still be helpful.  

My purpose for saying these things is not to change your mind - you've made it pretty clear that wont happen.  Instead, it is to warn off newer players who may give this a go thinking it will be helpful when it is clearly, and objectively, a suboptimal build for most battleships most of the time.  

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,776
Alpha Tester
6,312 posts
3,134 battles
On 7/29/2020 at 1:47 PM, Cynder_TheDragon said:

So I am coming back to warships after a pretty long time off from the game , I forgot I had purchased the Tier 5 USS Texas. I am wondering what Captain skills should I put on to this ship? I don't plan on using this commander to any other ship so I don't need to worry about retraining and what not. My second ship I was also looking for help with is the Tier 7 US New Mexico my captain currently has 10 skill points but I do not know what skills I should get for it. The only skill I do currently have is: Preventive maintenance , Expert Marksman , Adrenaline Rush  

For the record, the New Mexico is the tier 6 American BB. The Colorado is tier 7.

Pedantics aside, here's what I recommend by way of captain skills for a Texas.

Tier 1: Priority Target, Preventative Maintenance.

Tier 2: High Alert, Expert Marksman.

Tier 3: Superintendent, BFT, Basics of Survivability.

Tier 4: AFT.

Personally, I find this build provides good survivability while also not taking away from the AA. Unlike a lot of people, I still prefer to put points into AA skills so that I can at least have a chance of shooting down planes if/when they come my way.

As for the New Mexico, the first skills I say you should go for if your captain just has 10 points are Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, and AFT. They'll get you on a good start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×