You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Bismarck & Tirpitz Guns

32 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,867 posts

Is there any record of either ship ever getting a cit on a BB at 15+ kms?

I have had both since about XMAS 2016 and can't recall ever getting a cit on anything at any distance with their guns.

Both have the full secondary builds.

:cap_win:

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
86 posts
964 battles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Denmark_Strait#Sinking_of_Hood The REAL Bismark hit the REAL Hood at 14km and managed to detonate her. Now the detonation could have also been from the fire onboard started by the Prinz Eugen earlier finding its way into a large caliber magazine, but that would tarnish the reputation of every Royal Navy designer. 

Hope that's what you're looking for and not some in-game nonsense. :cap_old:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[REVY]
Members
2,152 posts
11,593 battles
10 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I have had both since about XMAS 2016 and can't recall ever getting a cit on anything at any distance with their guns.

anything is possible.

[BROOK]
Members
1,867 posts
5 minutes ago, Roken1 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Denmark_Strait#Sinking_of_Hood The REAL Bismark hit the REAL Hood at 14km and managed to detonate her. Now the detonation could have also been from the fire onboard started by the Prinz Eugen earlier finding its way into a large caliber magazine, but that would tarnish the reputation of every Royal Navy designer. 

Yeah, I know about the real Bismarck. Watched Sink the Bismarck a few times as a kid.

It's the WOWS duo that I am asking about.  Most of the time I feel my AP broadsides are as effective as lobbing rolls of Charmin.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,620 posts
17,950 battles

It happens, but needs luck to. You need a relatively soft BB with a high citadel at almost perfect broadside and for our shells to disperse into the right location.

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
86 posts
964 battles
4 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

It's the WOWS duo that I am asking about.  Most of the time I feel my AP broadsides are as effective as lobbing rolls of Charmin.

With those rolls of charmin, you would have been a hero two months ago! lol

But no, I don't have a Biz or a Tirpitz. I did get to rent a Tirpitz a while back. Plenty of consistent citadels against cruisers at range with plunging fire as far as 17km as a BB should, but don't recall any citadels against BBs. 

• Funny 1

[BROOK]
Members
1,867 posts
5 minutes ago, Battleship_Constitution said:

do it all the time.

That's one possible explanation.

Another is that the other ships just suck at being good targets and taking damage.

Frankly, it's a coin toss.

:Smile_coin:

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,441 posts
6,273 battles
12 minutes ago, Lert said:

It happens, but needs luck to. You need a relatively soft BB with a high citadel at almost perfect broadside and for our shells to disperse into the right location.

basically almost impossible.

[AXANR]
Members
3,597 posts
21,680 battles

Did it last night in ranked. Citadelled another BB (I forget which one, I think Amagi but could be wrong) at 17km.I remember it because I was so shocked; I get cits with Bismarck regularly but I can't remember the last time I got one on a same-tier BB at that distance. 

[TARK]
Members
5,660 posts
2,262 battles
54 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Ive got some at range...it is pure RNG though, you cant actually aim at citadels that far away with German guns while secondary specced...

So...quite rare.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,401 posts

Hey, just because storm troopers sighted the guns on both ships isn't any reason to be mean to it. I think they also did the Roma and NotTheRoma's guns, too.

[RAWR]
Members
169 posts
2,207 battles
37 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

Did it last night in ranked. Citadelled another BB (I forget which one, I think Amagi but could be wrong) at 17km.I remember it because I was so shocked; I get cits with Bismarck regularly but I can't remember the last time I got one on a same-tier BB at that distance. 

Well japans battleships tend to be some of the softest in the game so that would make sense.

[-K-]
Members
8,189 posts
13,489 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

North Carolina would be a candidate for this.  Possibly even Vladivostok if perfectly broadside.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,620 posts
17,950 battles
10 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

North Carolina would be a candidate for this.  Possibly even Vladivostok if perfectly broadside.

Vanguard, the famous and historical Monarch, Richelieu ...

[-K-]
Members
8,189 posts
13,489 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

the famous and historical Monarch

C'mon now, the Monarch is real:

032218-1978-Mercury-Monarch-1.jpg.ee8b8fb90333dbad71fce94fef04a202.jpg

.....in the malaise version of a 1970's Mercury.....

download.jpg.98400b00c4ac4ce7c6775745719d856b.jpg

.......or the butterfly that for some reason is amazing to see solo.....

MID_257594.jpg.7067749220c8ee07c3fcceb8ffb06342.jpg

.....yet terrifying to see multipied.

WG just got the blueprints wrong.

• Funny 3

[NUWES]
Members
3,003 posts
9,944 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Honestly, I haven't seen those two hit much reliably at those ranges much less citadel them, but I do recall it happening against an IJN BB once. I am pretty sure it was Amagi or Fuso (can't remember which). I think Fuso, Nagato, and Amagi and their derivatives can be citadeled at those ranges and are prone to those types of citadels because of how their armor is layed out. NC with its slower and heavier shells is more prone to doing it than the Bismarck brothers but I have seen it. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,686 posts
14,007 battles
2 hours ago, Roken1 said:

With those rolls of charmin, you would have been a hero two months ago! lol

But no, I don't have a Biz or a Tirpitz. I did get to rent a Tirpitz a while back. Plenty of consistent citadels against cruisers at range with plunging fire as far as 17km as a BB should, but don't recall any citadels against BBs. 

On a whim I Googled toilet paper gun,

https://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Paper-Blaster-Skid-Shot/dp/B0776KJK3J

• Thanks 1

[UN1]
Members
1,066 posts
3,406 battles
3 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

It's possible, but German battleships average the worst penetration across the tiers. They're really a poor line to play the long range. 

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
86 posts
964 battles
46 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That is a thing of beauty. If the kids from my childhood had one of those, there would be no trees left on this planet...and all the houses would be covered in wet TP balls. 

• Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,686 posts
14,007 battles
3 minutes ago, Roken1 said:

That is a thing of beauty. If the kids from my childhood had one of those, there would be no trees left on this planet...and all the houses would be covered in wet TP balls. 

Heck, I am retired and getting ready for my second childhood and it is tempting.

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
86 posts
964 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Heck, I am retired and getting ready for my second childhood and it is tempting.

rambo-1.jpg Someone needs to photoshop that into some Rambo Pictures and post it on these forums somewhere. This is a public service. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,686 posts
14,007 battles
54 minutes ago, Roken1 said:

rambo-1.jpg Someone needs to photoshop that into some Rambo Pictures and post it on these forums somewhere. This is a public service. 

I don't have the graphics skill but someone must.

[-K_P-]
Members
386 posts
3,271 battles
4 hours ago, Roken1 said:

I though the latest theory was the deck hatch behind her front turret was open (bad habit the RN had at the time) and Bismark hit close enough to send flaming shrapnel down the lift way to the citadel.  This hatch was for bringing the 2ndary and AA ammo to and from the deck, I forget if the main gun ammo also went down this way in port when restocking.  If you look at the Hood, between the turret and the conning tower their is a Davit crane above this hatch. 

IIRC no one has submitted a WOWs replay to @MrConwayshowing the Bismark Citadelling the Hood as of yet.

[G-4W]
Members
40 posts
5,064 battles
3 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

NC is a candidate. I citadelled an NC through the deck a few times with Alaska in a recent match.