You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fatalimpulse

On the psychology of the poor player

73 comments in this topic

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
57 posts
2,557 battles

I do not try too hard understand the mind of the potato. I do not claim to understand their thought process as they furiously type away at their keyboards after overextending and getting focused to death while spamming "requesting support"

But at some point, there has to be a shred of self awareness, right? How do you survive playing a team based game with the attitude of "everyone besides me sucks" 

How does a person keep themselves playing this game, always overextending, or showing broadside, or having poor target selection, or putting themselves in crossfires, getting frustrated at everyone besides themselves and still coming back? Isn't that un-fun? wouldn't you be better off doing something you like rather than feeding your own rage feedback loop? What in a person causes them to grasp onto this idea that they can never do any wrong and that at all times it is their team's fault for their swift death? I honestly do not understand. Personally speaking, if I had continued to play as I did as a new player, and never learned how to improve, I simply would have quit out of frustration. 

And I know many of these player can improve with a decent amount of guidance, i've seen it myself, we were all at one point new players who had no idea what we were doing. I think that's the most frustrating part, many players have the capacity to be learn and be better players, but they either lack the support/tools or they simply are not interested in getting better.

Anyways, rant over, hopefully there is some decent discussion on this topic in the replies. Please keep it civil, potatoes are people too. 

Edit: I should make it clear that this isn't aimed at "bad" players (players with a low W/R) or players who are simply here to shoot boots, but more so aimed at the players who are insistent on making the experience worse for themselves by blaming everyone else for their mistakes and creating a feedback loop of rage leading to more rage. 

Edited by Fatalimpulse
  • Cool 5
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 11
  • Meh 1

[CDOH]
Members
315 posts
6,786 battles

I think Zoup said it best in his 5 universal truths video.  The vast majority of players  don't care.  They don't care about you as a teammate, They don't care about winning, they don't care about stats, they don't care to learn and they don't care about chat.  They only want to play a ship and shoot big guns or torps.  That is pretty much it.

Edited by Rothgar_57
  • Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,850 posts
13,133 battles
2 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

I think Zoup said it best in his 5 universal truths video.  The vast majority of players  don't care.  They don't care about you as a teammate, They don't care about winning, they don't care about stats, they don't care to learn and they don't care about chat.  They only want to play a ship and shoot big guns or torps.  That is pretty much it.

If I ever become that apathetic, I hope I have enough self-awareness to confine myself to co-op. At least there, merely playing the ship and shooting the guns is a lot less likely to harm my team's chances of winning. 

• Cool 2
  • Meh 4

[CDOH]
Members
315 posts
6,786 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If I ever become that apathetic, I hope I have enough self-awareness to confine myself to co-op. At least there, merely playing the ship and shooting the guns is a lot less likely to harm my team's chances of winning. 

I agree with you personally.  But 90% of the player base does not agree with us.  They simply just want to log in and shoot big guns.

• Cool 3

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
57 posts
2,557 battles
2 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

my point is less so about the players who don't care, and more so about the players who do, and think that they're good players while themselves never improving. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
8,845 posts
7,321 battles
3 minutes ago, Fatalimpulse said:

my point is less so about the players who don't care, and more so about the players who do, and think that they're good players while themselves never improving. 

Spend some time watching people at a golf course.  A certain percentage blame their clubs, the course, the weather, their playing partners, and the gophers.

Edit:  Strange

Edited by DrHolmes52

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,188 posts
5,947 battles

Please define poor player for us..     we're all potatoes to someone.   Most of us who think we are "good" players are deceiving ourselves.   The reasons why people play a F2P game are widely varied and hard to define.  believe me they don't care about your reasons. 

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Meh 1

[RCNW3]
Beta Testers
3,063 posts
25,244 battles
13 minutes ago, Fatalimpulse said:

I do not try too hard understand the mind of the potato. I do not claim to understand their thought process as they furiously type away at their keyboards after overextending and getting focused to death while spamming "requesting support"

But at some point, there has to be a shred of self awareness, right? How do you survive playing a team based game with the attitude of "everyone besides me sucks" 

How does a person keep themselves playing this game, always overextending, or showing broadside, or having poor target selection, or putting themselves in crossfires, getting frustrated at everyone besides themselves and still coming back? Isn't that un-fun? wouldn't you be better off doing something you like rather than feeding your own rage feedback loop? What in a person causes them to grasp onto this idea that they can never do any wrong and that at all times it is their team's fault for their swift death? I honestly do not understand. Personally speaking, if I had continued to play as I did as a new player, and never learned how to improve, I simply would have quit out of frustration. 

And I know many of these player can improve with a decent amount of guidance, i've seen it myself, we were all at one point new players who had no idea what we were doing. I think that's the most frustrating part, many players have the capacity to be learn and be better players, but they either lack the support/tools or they simply are not interested in getting better.

Anyways, rant over, hopefully there is some decent discussion on this topic in the replies. Please keep it civil, potatoes are people too. 

I guess not everyone is as perfect as you playing this shoot them up game  ??????

• Cool 4

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,573 posts
17,913 battles
4 minutes ago, Fatalimpulse said:

It's called the Dunning Kruger effect, where someone needs a modicum of understanding on a subject to be able to grasp just how much they do not know about said subject, and wildly overestimate their own understanding and skill.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[OIL-1]
Members
934 posts
1 minute ago, Fatalimpulse said:

I was just about to point that out. People who don't care don't blame the team for their performance.
It's been decades since I studied psychology, but my quick answer would be, pessimism.
Some people think that everything is crap, so that would include teammates as well.

• Cool 1

[CDOH]
Members
315 posts
6,786 battles

Yup, just accept it and enjoy the game for what it is.  Not what it could be.  If you can adopt this attitude you will be much happier.

Edited by Rothgar_57

[ARGSY]
Members
18,850 posts
13,133 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Spend some time watching people at a golf course.  A certain percentage blame their clubs, the course, the weather, their playing partners, and the gophers.

I have a video coming out soon in which I berate my team for its failure to capitalize on low-health targets before they heal, and the tendency throughout the battle for ships to blink out of visibility two seconds before I would otherwise have had good firing solutions on them. However, I also take time out to berate my own target selection, shooting and positioning at particular instances, so I'm hoping it all balances out.

Plus we all have those battles from time to time in which our team got rekt by that ONE player who was having their game of the century, kraken, mid 2000 BXP brought home, and save for their presence we might have been able to un-potato ourselves and win. Those players get a compliment from me, and sometimes a congratulatory message in port afterwards. Sometimes the gophers are savage enough that they deserve a portion of the blame, but it has to be apportioned with care. 

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[OIL-1]
Members
934 posts
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

the Dunning Kruger effect

I know what I don't know. It's staggering. It's fascinating. It's accelerating.
We are truly living in an age of wonder.

[BROOK]
Members
1,829 posts
10 minutes ago, Fatalimpulse said:

Is there really such an animal? Someone who is bad at the game but thinks they are good?  Maybe it's people who are unaware of the stats which tell them how good or bad they are?

:cap_wander:

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,573 posts
17,913 battles
Just now, TheGreatBlasto said:

Is there really such an animal? Someone who is bad at the game but thinks they are good?  Maybe it's people who are unaware of the stats which tell them how good or bad they are?

The stats lie, it's all the team, everyone else is a bad player. Yes, there are such animals. Way too many of them.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[KJHWK]
Members
93 posts
10,055 battles
16 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

I agree with you personally.  But 90% of the player base does not agree with us.  They simply just want to log in and shoot big guns.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,149 posts
18,373 battles
2 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:
16 minutes ago, Fatalimpulse said:

Cognitive dissonance is a [edited]. But easily resolved if you just convince yourself that stats are wrong/meaningless instead.

• Cool 5

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
57 posts
2,557 battles
2 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

:cap_wander:

Ever had a player who died in the first 5 minutes, then suddenly becomes the holy grail of knowledge on how exactly to play the game? Those kinds of players. Who spend time, money, and energy just making themselves angry. If anything, I feel more bad for them than angry at them. 

• Thanks 1

[BROOK]
Members
1,829 posts

I am my own worst critic. I still make big mistakes and accept all responsibility for them. But what about those games where  2/3rds of your team is sunk at the 10 minute mark?  There is no way someone like myself could have carried the team.

Beta Testers
620 posts
4,634 battles

To point out OP is average...not great, not good, Average. This means the OP will Potato at times as well.

With that out of the way Zoup is correct. Personally I don't care about YOUR game in a random battle, ranked, or any game mode out side clan battles. EXP is EXP win or lose. Sorry but you game is not worth my time.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 3

[META_]
Members
695 posts
15,116 battles

There will always be different amounts of battle awareness ,different styles. The people complaining about others reminds me of the person complaining about their golf clubs or weather like OP said. If those less aware or less skilled players played well or really strong we would be the losers....I play a lot of poker and I hear all the time how people say you missplayed this or you should have folded when I bluffed you....If these players played better I would be the  loser , but they do not and in poker I do not want to feed the fish knowledge or disgrace them, they would leave. In boats I try to help others get better with my videos and youtube channel Meta_Man2002 because this is a game and I want people to enjoy it...If you make fun of them they leave and we have no game. think about it.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,573 posts
17,913 battles
1 minute ago, Battleship_Constitution said:

This means the OP will Potato at times as well.

So do objectively good players. Difference being that 45%ers will potato most of the time and do great plays every now and then completely by accident whereas 60%ers will play great most of the time and potato every now and then completely by accident. Nobody's immune to making mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Battleship_Constitution said:

EXP is EXP win or lose.

EXP is EXP +50% win.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,450 posts
10,877 battles
23 minutes ago, Fatalimpulse said:

First off these are 2 different subjects the player that thinks he does no wrong and the person who is not good can be totally different . Also the person who is not good because he doesn't care to learn is different from the person who just doesn't have the reflexes and skill to play great .

As a 47% potato I know I screw up all the time the sad part is I know how to play the game . I usually get myself in trouble with my keyboard skills and my declining reflexes .

However I barley ever blame other people for my bad play unless on rare occasions I had to much to drink . 

I love the game I'm working hard on getting better and quicker with keyboard but I'm afraid I might always be a 47% potato .

But don't throw me into the group that doesn't try and get better or who blames other people for there losses there's lots of people like me out there .

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[META_]
Members
695 posts
15,116 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have a video coming out soon in which I berate my team for its failure to capitalize on low-health targets before they heal, and the tendency throughout the battle for ships to blink out of visibility two seconds before I would otherwise have had good firing solutions on them. However, I also take time out to berate my own target selection, shooting and positioning at particular instances, so I'm hoping it all balances out.

Plus we all have those battles from time to time in which our team got rekt by that ONE player who was having their game of the century, kraken, mid 2000 BXP brought home, and save for their presence we might have been able to un-potato ourselves and win. Those players get a compliment from me, and sometimes a congratulatory message in port afterwards. Sometimes the gophers are savage enough that they deserve a portion of the blame, but it has to be apportioned with care. 

If 1 out of a 100 people do not come back to play from getting tired of being BERATED we lose....So when a 100 people do as you say as in BERATE weaker players  and we lose 10 a week or 10 a day because of this ,is this good? Wake up, we kill our own games.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1