You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Merc_R_Us

CV thoughts and tips from ranking out Season 17

22 comments in this topic

[TBB]
Members
380 posts
3,551 battles

I'll keep it as straightforward as possible:

Gameplay Suggestion:

• CVs should have less plane regeneration and/or less planes to start with in ranked game mode. I had a plenty of planes through the whole game 95% of the time. The 5% coming from games with double Massachusetts. It's simply the matter that, when there are less ships, the CVs damage capabilities multiply much more than other classes

DDs:

• Do not always rely on your team to understand what you are trying to do.
    • Example, if you ask for support in capping, but they do not, adapt and change course if it makes sense. Losing ships is much more detrimental to the cause than losing the mid cap early.
  • Loyangs should always go to the mid cap. Your hydro is overwhelmingly helpful to fighting DDs in smoke. Try to time it when allied ships are close by and when your CV has rocket planes or he bombers nearby.
  • Do not sail next to your allied cruiser at the beggining of the match as you head for a cap. The CV cannot see you at the start, so they will typically aim for the cruiser your next to. As they are in the attack run, they'll notice you, and target you instead (if they're wise).

CVs :

• when you try to hit a DD with your first flight, line up your attack relative to where your allied DDs are on your side:
    • Example: If your allied DDs  are reaching or are beginning to enter row G, that means the enemy DD(s) are entering row D. Use this information. Also, ensure you have boost energy stored and start slowing down when you're getting close before you even see the destroyer. It helps tremendously.
  • Most of the time, do not focus on the battleships, ESPECIALLY THE MASSACHUSETTS. DDs, cruisers are your targets. Only when they are isolated, half health, or parked behind the mountain, or you're waiting for your rockets to be ready, should you attack them.

CAs and BBs:

• Parking behind a rock asks CVs to focus you down. They don't have to worry about your long range AA now and can get full attack squad hits in. Use rocks at your own risk. Especially these spots on trident. You're going to be needing fighter drops from your CV if you park here, taking away a valuable tool in spotting destroyers later in the game.

Trident.thumb.png.890bb26dc5d1a4ff8191a5d0b13e6a82.png

• In an ideal world, it would be helpful for 2 CAs with radar to go on different sides. Adapt to what you're allies are giving you. Again, try to use it when there are allied ships and allied rockets/bombers in the sky, not only just when you have vision to be able to attack the spotted ship.

Best of luck!

Edited by Merc_R_Us
Some Grammar Corrections
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,148 posts
18,373 battles

Congrats on getting out. Most of the suggestions here are very good, although I disagree with the one about DDs hanging out near cruisers. It's a good place to get protection, you just need to be off to the side enough that the CV can't adjust his course in time (or has to hard turn close to the cruiser to do it).

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,482 posts
11,374 battles

DD players if you are afraid of a CV .. don't bother playing it in ranked.  You are going to be focused on.  If you expect to save your star.. you are going to have to work.  

• Cool 1

[--K--]
[--K--]
Members
4,254 posts
19,414 battles
5 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Congrats on getting out. Most of the suggestions here are very good, although I disagree with the one about DDs hanging out near cruisers. It's a good place to get protection, you just need to be off to the side enough that the CV can't adjust his course in time (or has to hard turn close to the cruiser to do it).

I agree a lot of times in my DD I hang out with the cruiser initially to protect them with AA fire.

Of course I'm playing the kidd and the aki

Edited by SilverPhatShips

[TBB]
Members
380 posts
3,551 battles
12 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

7 minutes ago, SilverPhatShips said:

I agree a lot of times in my DD I hang out with the cruiser initially to protect them with AA fire.

I would concur as well, just not to drive on the side of the CA that's closest to the enemy. In front works too, but you could open the risk to the timing maneuver I mentioned (I'm not sure how many CV players actually try to do that though)

[SLDR]
Members
239 posts
9,108 battles
32 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

DDs:

• Do not sail next to your allied cruiser at the beggining of the match as you head for a cap. The CV cannot see you at the start, so they will typically aim for the cruiser your next to. As they are in the attack run, they'll notice you, and target you instead (if they're wise).

Then where can the DD go if there is a CV in the game?  

There isn't an infinite number of routes to a cap.   DDs are fast, but not that fast.  When you strike out on your own towards a cap with a CV in the game, you have exactly 50% chance of not getting focused by rocket planes in the first 2 minutes: that is, when the CV chose to send planes to the east, and you went west.  If you lose that gamble, you are guaranteed to get at least 2 rocket passes in the first 2 minutes.

I do find that I have a greater than 50% chance of not getting focused in the first 2 minutes of the game by sailing next to a  cruiser.   Yes, the CV will find the cruiser easily.  But sometimes, the CV gets driven away by the AA of the cruiser and (sometimes) other nearby BB / CA.  Sometimes, the CV commits to attack the cruiser and then sees me.  But so far, I've seen the CV always stays committed to the cruiser in the first attack run.  After that first pass, the planes are depleted enough by the cruiser's and my AA, that even if he chooses to switch to me for the 2nd pass, the threat is much diminished.

[TBB]
Members
380 posts
3,551 battles
1 minute ago, slider37 said:

Then where can the DD go if there is a CV in the game?  

There isn't an infinite number of routes to a cap.   DDs are fast, but not that fast.  When you strike out on your own towards a cap with a CV in the game, you have exactly 50% chance of not getting focused by rocket planes in the first 2 minutes: that is, when the CV chose to send planes to the east, and you went west.  If you lose that gamble, you are guaranteed to get at least 2 rocket passes in the first 2 minutes.

I do find that I have a greater than 50% chance of not getting focused in the first 2 minutes of the game by sailing next to a  cruiser.   Yes, the CV will find the cruiser easily.  But sometimes, the CV gets driven away by the AA of the cruiser and (sometimes) other nearby BB / CA.  Sometimes, the CV commits to attack the cruiser and then sees me.  But so far, I've seen the CV always stays committed to the cruiser in the first attack run.  After that first pass, the planes are depleted enough by the cruiser's and my AA, that even if he chooses to switch to me for the 2nd pass, the threat is much diminished.

I would say don't drive on the side of the CA that's closest to the enemy initially. Most CVs will just attack the cruiser. A good CV should definitely adjust if it makes sense. One of the reasons I run potato alert.

[OIL-1]
Members
916 posts

In Sprint I learned that attacking the Massachusetts head-on would cost my entire squadron,
but I could attack from the side and get some decent damage in.

In the late game you may have no choice but to deal with them.

[--K--]
[--K--]
Members
4,254 posts
19,414 battles
6 minutes ago, Rustyhole said:

If you face a CV you only have yourself to blame, its very easy to avoid them in queue.

Not at R5, que is full of them, more then other ships

Bring AA

Edited by SilverPhatShips

[TBB]
Members
380 posts
3,551 battles
16 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

What CV did you use to rank out?

Lexington. the HVAR, coupled with HE Bombs helped against DDs. I love Tiny Tims, but as I was encountering more DDs than Cruisers, it made sense. It's good to have the Sight Stabilization Skill if you go with HVAR.

Edited by Merc_R_Us

[TRIST]
Members
407 posts
3,730 battles

Might want to add another tip: If you're in GZ, just fly straight ahead for spotting, since tge teams will always spawn accross each other all together, and use your insta drops on the DBs to avoid AA and get some more spotting in

[TARK]
Members
5,620 posts
2,260 battles
27 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Lexington. the HVAR, coupled with HE Bombs helped against DDs. I love Tiny Tims, but as I was encountering more DDs than Cruisers, it made sense. It's good to have the Sight Stabilization Skill if you go with HVAR.

Ok.

Your comment on plane reserves made me wonder if you were playing Enterprise...

I had LOTS of games with multiple Massachusetts, North Carolina, Alabama on the red team.

In that case, I did end up shortening my squadrons a bit to get through if the enemy wasnt spreading out.

Fully agree on the TT vs HVAR choice in ranked. You dont have enough friendly gun barrels to get away with not hitting DDs more easily...plus, I ran into an early ranked game where WG trolled me with RNG.

So...i said, fine. Shotgun it is.

Got to rank 10 relatively painlessly...and got the 250 doubloons (my goal).

Im back to the dockyard directives now trying to get Graf Spee before the event ends.

Members
1,639 posts
34 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

I got to rank 5 with an Indomitable but had to move to Enterprise to get to 4.

[TBB]
Members
380 posts
3,551 battles
1 minute ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

I got to rank 5 with an Indomitable but had to move to Enterprise to get to 4.

Good Stuff. Yeah Enterprise and Lex are great from there.

[NUWES]
Members
2,990 posts
9,909 battles
35 minutes ago, Cheeezzy said:

Might want to add another tip: If you're in GZ, just fly straight ahead for spotting, since tge teams will always spawn accross each other all together, and use your insta drops on the DBs to avoid AA and get some more spotting in

This is actually one of the bigger problems they should address. It isn't hard to figure out roughly where the enemy DD will spawn. It's on the DD player to move ASAP. They really should randomize the DD start locations a bit. 

Members
134 posts
7,242 battles

I have be playing both my Z-23 and HMS Lightning with some success in this round of random battles and they are not the top of the line. In the end you will find that there is more than one path to victory so don't get locked in to a single plan of action,. If you can't improvise you are sunk.

Live Strong,  

Edited by Iron_Clad_5000

[NUWES]
Members
2,990 posts
9,909 battles
2 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Gameplay Suggestion:

• CVs should have less plane regeneration and/or less planes to start with in ranked game mode. I had a plenty of planes through the whole game 95% of the time. The 5% coming from games with double Massachusetts. It's simply the matter that, when there are less ships, the CVs damage capabilities multiply much more than other classes

DDs:

• Example, if you ask for support in capping, but they do not, adapt and change course if it makes sense. Losing ships is much more detrimental to the cause than losing the mid cap early.
  • Loyangs should always go to the mid cap. Your hydro is overwhelmingly helpful to fighting DDs in smoke. Try to time it when allied ships are close by and when your CV has rocket planes or he bombers nearby.

CVs :

• when you try to hit a DD with your first flight, line up your attack relative to where your allied DDs are on your side:
    • Example: If your allied DDs  are reaching or are beginning to enter row G, that means the enemy DD(s) are entering row D. Use this information. Also, ensure you have boost energy stored and start slowing down when you're getting close before you even see the destroyer. It helps tremendously.
  • Most of the time, do not focus on the battleships, ESPECIALLY THE MASSACHUSETTS. DDs, cruisers are your targets. Only when they are isolated, half health, or parked behind the mountain, or you're waiting for your rockets to be ready, should you attack them.

CAs and BBs:

• Parking behind a rock asks CVs to focus you down. They don't have to worry about your long range AA now and can get full attack squad hits in. Use rocks at your own risk. Especially these spots on trident. You're going to be needing fighter drops from your CV if you park here, taking away a valuable tool in spotting destroyers later in the game.

Trident.thumb.png.890bb26dc5d1a4ff8191a5d0b13e6a82.png

• In an ideal world, it would be helpful for 2 CAs with radar to go on different sides. Adapt to what you're allies are giving you. Again, try to use it when there are allied ships and allied rockets/bombers in the sky, not only just when you have vision to be able to attack the spotted ship.

Best of luck!

I absolutely agree. +1 from Me. Only things I would add for DDs: 

1. You can sail with your cruisers but be behind the cruiser a bit (3km or so). That  way if the cruiser is spotted and attacked you don't get spotted as well. 

2. For the love of all that is holy DDs don't skimp on the smoke. If you see planes heading your way and about to spot you slow down and smoke immediately. Do not let him see you. If you do he will just charge over the smoke and rocket the area and likely will still hit you. A lot of DDs wait until they get attacked to deploy the smoke. Sinking with smoke unused is a complete waste. The same is the case for cruisers and BBs ships with a fighter plane. Launch it BEFORE you are attacked. There is no reason to save your consumables. You don't get a refund if you sink. 

[NKOTD]
Members
920 posts
8,446 battles
38 minutes ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

I have be playing both my Z-23 and HMS Lightning with some success in this round of random battles and they are not the top of the line. In the end you will find that there is more than one path to victory so don't get locked in to a single plan of action,. If you can't improvise you are sunk.

Live Strong,  

Good Advice.

3 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Gameplay Suggestion:

DDs:

• Example, if you ask for support in capping, but they do not, adapt and change course if it makes sense. Losing ships is much more detrimental to the cause than losing the mid cap early
  • Do not sail next to your allied cruiser at the beggining of the match as you head for a cap. The CV cannot see you at the start, so they will typically aim for the cruiser your next to. As they are in the attack run, they'll notice you, and target you instead (if they're wise)

On sailing next to cruiser.... I mainly used Mainz in ranked with DFAA.  At least half of the time a CV will either lose all their squad or f key it back before they do.  They might get 1 attack off but if they change targets it makes the above even more likely.

On Massachusetts and other BBs.... I start spamming them early and often as long as I don't have a higher value target in effective range.  Of course, this helps CVs too as it usually will impair their AA....however to keep myself from taking too much damage I am doing this from long range which means I usually need spotting help of some kind.  Most CVS don't like being just being pure spotters (even for a short period of time) but often it will help them win the game.

[TBB]
Members
380 posts
3,551 battles
27 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I’m beginning to think of you can’t get a minimum of 3 or 4 kills a match (carry) in Ranked it is a waste of time.

Hang in there! No one is averaging 3-4 kills in match. Just play you're ship strengths, adapt to the situation and you'll be fine in the long run.