You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

4 comments in this topic

[KAPPA]
Members
3,036 posts
7,803 battles

This isn't about mission drops or a CV hate thread. I actually love CVs. But I noticed something that I don't love. The T4 CV mission to get 60 tokens... it requires 1,500 base xp.

WG, did you just pick this from a hat?

Seriously, base xp is easiest done in random. The T4 CV is the easiest to get. This should by all means result in a massive overload of these CVs in random with no good option to do it otherwise, as co-op is over so fast that T4 CVs would typically struggle to get much base xp at all.

Next time pick something easy, as we don't need a huge influx of T4 cvs. Like spotting. Spotting missions are fairly easy to get done in any mode in a CV, and it still gets people to try them as well as encourages spotting. See what I did there? Newbie CVs eager to spot? They'll help the team by default.

Members
1,607 posts
34,031 battles
2 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

This isn't about mission drops or a CV hate thread. I actually love CVs. But I noticed something that I don't love. The T4 CV mission to get 60 tokens... it requires 1,500 base xp.

WG, did you just pick this from a hat?

Seriously, base xp is easiest done in random. The T4 CV is the easiest to get. This should by all means result in a massive overload of these CVs in random with no good option to do it otherwise, as co-op is over so fast that T4 CVs would typically struggle to get much base xp at all.

Next time pick something easy, as we don't need a huge influx of T4 cvs. Like spotting. Spotting missions are fairly easy to get done in any mode in a CV, and it still gets people to try them as well as encourages spotting. See what I did there? Newbie CVs eager to spot? They'll help the team by default.

Actually, depends on the CV. Fly out beyond the battle front and hit the big ships in back. Leave the little ones alone and you finish that one in a few in co-op. You can also get the spotting one done quickly in operations doing the same thing. Work the back.

The vast majority of players I have found,  struggle to hit anything at tier 4 from max range. Unless you are an experienced player in disguise wearing no camo, looking like you are new, only to see post battle, otherwise. LOL

Unbelievably, funny. Even the dialog is forced. "How do you steer this thing?" "How do the torpies know where they need to go?"

If I hadn't witnessed this, I wouldn't have believed it. Just play the match and get it done. Players can see you are experienced by just clicking profile on any player post battle. 2020, new. 2019, and earlier, experienced.

Please don't think new players don't see that. It's condescending. If you play down in tier 4, just play. Don't trivial what others new are possibly struggling with. This PSA provided with no commercials. *Sips water.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[KAPPA]
Members
3,036 posts
7,803 battles
11 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Actually, depends on the CV. Fly out beyond the battle front and hit the big ships in back. Leave the little ones alone and you finish that one in a few in co-op. You can also get the spotting one done quickly in operations doing the same thing. Work the back.

The vast majority of players I have found,  struggle to hit anything at tier 4 from max range. Unless you are an experienced player in disguise wearing no camo, looking like you are new, only to see post battle, otherwise. LOL

Unbelievably, funny. Even the dialog is forced. "How do you steer this thing?" "How do the torpies know where they need to go?"

If I hadn't witnessed this, I wouldn't have believed it. Just play the match and get it done. Players can see you are experienced by just clicking profile on any player post battle. 2020, new. 2019, and earlier, experienced.

Please don't think new players don't see that. It's condescending. If you play down in tier 4, just play. Don't trivial what others new are possibly struggling with. This PSA provided with no commercials. *Sips water.

No idea what you're on about, and it has quite frankly nothing to do with this thread. We have no choice but to play the T4 CV if you haven't looked at the mission, as otherwise getting 600 tokens is quite literally impossible unless part 2 uses the same currency, as 600 tokens is exact change to what the event can give, and even then you need Graf Zeppelin. It can only be done in each of the four ships ship in question, and this is a thread about the impact this has on T4 matchmaking, nothing more, nothing less. If seals have to be clubbed, I have no personal issue with that, as protected matchmaking keeps the real newbies away from us.

There were almost as many CVs in queue at T4 as every other ship combined, at least of the ones in that range. This is precisely the issue I spoke of. There are so many CVs in queue that, had they not just added bots to lower tiers, you'd be getting partial teams (to the extreme) and 2 CVs basically every single match. The concept of working matchmaking at this tier would be out the window. 

Meanwhile the ones requiring the T6, 8 and Graf Zep all are fairly easily done in co-op, making for far less CVs in queue. More than usual, sure, but nothing like at T4 where there were 20+ CVs in queue at 2 am alone when I was looking to complete my mission. Meanwhile BBs were more like 12, and others were even less than that.

At the tier that struggles with a glut of CVs, though, they made a mission that is sure to put the T4 CV population into overdrive. Sure, make the mission something hard to do quickly in co-op. That won't impact matchmaking negatively at all, surely!

Almost the entire point of early access is to lighten the load on matchmaking while also baiting the loot box trap for people that care too much about getting a ship sooner rather than later. It staggers the supply and keeps matchmaking from devolving into what it was pre-early access with every new line released. Back then, you'd sometimes have matches purely populated by the new ships in lower tier battles on day 1, in part because practically nobody plays low tiers after they are out of protection. Then it'd trickle down into higher tiers, slowly resulting in a significant portion of both teams being the same ships.

This mission dramatically fails at this, instead forcing more people to play a ship they'd otherwise skip, assuming they get the T6 as well or hate all the things wrong with T4 CV gameplay. Which are pretty reasonable expectations, as the CV missions are rare, but not that rare as to not be gotten by plenty of people, and T4 CV gameplay is pretty boring compared to even just T6. Only T4 CVs that are any fun are Lexington and Houshou.

Members
1,607 posts
34,031 battles
9 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

No idea what you're on about, and it has quite frankly nothing to do with this thread. We have no choice but to play the T4 CV if you haven't looked at the mission, as otherwise getting 600 tokens is quite literally impossible unless part 2 uses the same currency, as 600 tokens is exact change to what the event can give, and even then you need Graf Zeppelin. It can only be done in each of the four ships ship in question, and this is a thread about the impact this has on T4 matchmaking, nothing more, nothing less. If seals have to be clubbed, I have no personal issue with that, as protected matchmaking keeps the real newbies away from us.

There were almost as many CVs in queue at T4 as every other ship combined, at least of the ones in that range. This is precisely the issue I spoke of. There are so many CVs in queue that, had they not just added bots to lower tiers, you'd be getting partial teams (to the extreme) and 2 CVs basically every single match. The concept of working matchmaking at this tier would be out the window. 

Meanwhile the ones requiring the T6, 8 and Graf Zep all are fairly easily done in co-op, making for far less CVs in queue. More than usual, sure, but nothing like at T4 where there were 20+ CVs in queue at 2 am alone when I was looking to complete my mission. Meanwhile BBs were more like 12, and others were even less than that.

At the tier that struggles with a glut of CVs, though, they made a mission that is sure to put the T4 CV population into overdrive. Sure, make the mission something hard to do quickly in co-op. That won't impact matchmaking negatively at all, surely!

Almost the entire point of early access is to lighten the load on matchmaking while also baiting the loot box trap for people that care too much about getting a ship sooner rather than later. It staggers the supply and keeps matchmaking from devolving into what it was pre-early access with every new line released. Back then, you'd sometimes have matches purely populated by the new ships in lower tier battles on day 1, in part because practically nobody plays low tiers after they are out of protection. Then it'd trickle down into higher tiers, slowly resulting in a significant portion of both teams being the same ships.

This mission dramatically fails at this, instead forcing more people to play a ship they'd otherwise skip, assuming they get the T6 as well or hate all the things wrong with T4 CV gameplay. Which are pretty reasonable expectations, as the CV missions are rare, but not that rare as to not be gotten by plenty of people, and T4 CV gameplay is pretty boring compared to even just T6. Only T4 CVs that are any fun are Lexington and Houshou.

Lex is tier 8. You mean Langley.

Yeah, I did see the big spike in CVs at 4.

Boring is dependent on whether you actually do okay in CV, meh in it, or struggle with it because of the user interface.

If you have played it and found it boring, the only aspect that I see you may have observed is the damage output. Depending on Rhein for instance, AP bombs can be hard to drop. But once you get the hang of it, you get them consistently. Torpedoes are not going to be deadly. I believe WG mentioned this at early tiers.

Rockets are quite nice, but effective on cruisers to their sides of ship at the waterline. The reticle is hard to see, so adjust the card graphics to fix. I think water transparency. Not sure.

Yeah, there is a glut, but more players than ever are playing and are doing missions rather than opening crates.

I myself have yet to get the perceval. I am in no hurry to either.

To be honest, it's probably for the best. Because if most players struggle with tier 4, then they are not ready for higher tiers anyway.

It's best if new players develop their drop skills at low tier before going into Randoms and getting hammered by more experienced players. 

It's been frustrating for experienced players to have new players in Randoms, that are clearly not ready , jump into a match. Nobody wants that.

While the event does drag on, it might be on purpose. There has been criticism about new players growing up too fast.

This could be the case for WG. They are starting to apply the brakes on new players and their fast growth up tiers.

I wouldn't dwell too much on the missions. It's early access. We are still getting them sooner. So, it's more about how you learn the ship type rather than the goodies offered. Think of it as hard study and play at a leisurely pace.

You might suddenly find yourself in a big high damage game.

I recently got in a co-op where we lost, but I was the last DD. I ran out of time. It was a big game in terms of damage output. Had I done one particular thing, I would have won it.

Some games are like that. Just play the pace you normally do. I am sure you will get there.

• Confused 1