You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

5 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
2,755 battles

Am currently grinding the French BB line, am at tier 7 at the moment, Jean Bart is one of my favorite ships in the game. I'm hyped to get to the Alsace. What's the best secondary build for her? I was thinking something like:

PT, PM, AR, BoS/SI, AFT, CE and MFCSA and then secondary range upgrade in slot 3.

Should I run BFT over BoS or SI? Or swap out Main Battery Reload in slot 6 for the 20% reload decrease on the secondaries? Should I ignore MFCSA entirely and go for fire prevention instead? Auxiliary Armaments upgrade? LMK what you guys think! Any advice on the best combos would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to playing Alsace in the near future.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,098 posts
4,636 battles
34 minutes ago, thatbruinskid said:

Should I run BFT over BoS or SI? 

I wouldn't. If I recall she has 100mms, which already have a plenty fine rpm. Sure its still a 10% dpm bonus, but BFT gets less useful the quicker the ROF imo. On the other side, SI is going to be super useful with the extra engine boost and extra heal. The difference often between being alive and being dead.

36 minutes ago, thatbruinskid said:

Or swap out Main Battery Reload in slot 6 for the 20% reload decrease on the secondaries?

Nah, secondaries on Alsace are more for funsies. She doesn't get the quarter pen, so it leaves her stuck with her decent fire chance. Even then your main battery is going to be doing more work. Keep that reload mod in there.

40 minutes ago, thatbruinskid said:

Should I ignore MFCSA entirely and go for fire prevention instead? 

I would personally take FP over CE on a secondary build. Seems counterproductive to try to hide while pushing in close (unless you are Odin with the .4km gap between detection and secondaries). As for MFCSA, its a personal call. You have to decide how far into secondaries you want to go. I would stick with MFC if you are putting ANYTHING into secondaries. The only exception being if you are planning a guaranteed knife fight (<2km). At ranges of 5-max km, that extra accuracy is going to work wonders.

I am no unicum Alsace player. My stats in her are good but that was from a while back and I believe no secondaries. Just dropping my 2 penny's worth!:fish_aqua:

[PVE]
Members
5,239 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, thatbruinskid said:

Am currently grinding the French BB line, am at tier 7 at the moment, Jean Bart is one of my favorite ships in the game. I'm hyped to get to the Alsace. What's the best secondary build for her? I was thinking something like:

PT, PM, AR, BoS/SI, AFT, CE and MFCSA and then secondary range upgrade in slot 3.

Should I run BFT over BoS or SI? Or swap out Main Battery Reload in slot 6 for the 20% reload decrease on the secondaries? Should I ignore MFCSA entirely and go for fire prevention instead? Auxiliary Armaments upgrade? LMK what you guys think! Any advice on the best combos would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to playing Alsace in the near future.

I've always considered MFCSA to be a waste on any ship because just locking on a target increases the accuracy...not as much but the 2ndaries on the other side of the ship keep firing also.

French 2ndafies are brutal enough to take out stuff already & FP at the higher tiers will allow all (instead of just 1/2) of those 2ndaries to keep firing for a longer time...especially w/all of the HE spammers trying to burn you to the ground.

French reload booster works for changing ammo types quicker (w/out needing to take the commander skill) also so shooting down DDs w/main battery (& speed boost to chase them down while doing it) makes 2ndaries not as needed against them.

If you have top notch situational awareness & are insanely diligent about locking the 2ndaries on/changing targets when a better option comes along/& changing targets as soon as the last target you had them locked on dies (not just when you kill them...you also need to be aware when they die when somebody else kills them) then manual 2nds are fine I guess...but if you don't do all of those things all of the time then you're wasting 4 points to stop your 2ndaries from working at all most of the time.

Don't CV but I hear GZ is the exception on the manual 2ndaries.

[UN1]
Members
1,067 posts
3,413 battles
6 hours ago, thatbruinskid said:

I wouldn't bother anymore.  The effectiveness of the Alsace's secondaries against enemy battleships, which is your primary target most of the time, dropped literally by nearly HALF since the IFHE rework.  She's still the same terror she always was against destroyers and cruisers, but your opportunities against these types of targets in a real world setting are far less common than players think they are; only battleships stay in secondary range long enough for them to do any significant amount of work.  Don't believe me?  Just look at the parses against 12x Amagi's @ 8km, numbers are penetration damage only:

• Pre-IFHE Rework = 19,466dpm
  • Post-IFHE Rework = 10,392dpm

Technically, this does bring the Alsace down to the level of the Georgia and FdG in terms of secondary damage output, but the catch is that their mounts last significantly longer than the Alsace.  Once you start taking damage in the Alsace, your secondary mounts start dying off and that abnormally high pre-IFHE rework damage output begins to scale way down, perhaps even being rendered mostly ineffective by the end of the game, which is a behavior not experienced in, say, the FDG.

So what I'm saying is, you can still spec for secondaries in the Alsace, but once you start taking damage, they're going to start performing like a T3/T4 battleship.  At that point it's just not worth it.