You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
vikingno2

F.D.R. Armor

27 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
25,623 posts
22,583 battles

For having 23k battles under the belt, you should have known that wasn't going to work.

FDR is a Midway-class CV.  19mm bow.

I see from your replay name you're using Petropavlovsk, so that's 220mm guns.

Your "Russian Bias" Petropavlovsk cannot Overmatch 19mm armor.  It requires 272mm or larger AP to punch right through.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds#AP_overmatch

High Tier DDs have 19mm hulls, so even a Tier VIII Benson can face tank your 220mm AP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[SUCIT]
Members
1,087 posts
17,851 battles
1 hour ago, vikingno2 said:

Take a look at this. This CV can bow tank, it a little sad with everything that get that now they and even bow tank. Good Job wargaming

20200728_162523_PRSC310-Petropavlovsk_52_Britain.wowsreplay

Umm... T8-10 CVs have either a 19 or 21mm bow. Only guns that go through that at high tiers are BB and supercruiser guns.

Beta Testers
773 posts
2,984 battles

You've played 24k games on the live NA server and don't know how to shoot at a Midway?

Cruisers not being able to overmatch 19mm plate and Midway class in general being tough are not news.

[SOV]
Members
4,429 posts
1 hour ago, vikingno2 said:

Take a look at this. This CV can bow tank, it a little sad with everything that get that now they and even bow tank. Good Job wargaming

20200728_162523_PRSC310-Petropavlovsk_52_Britain.wowsreplay

Wow another whine post about CV and this time your flat out wrong.

So of course you will double down and lie more.

Play some CV and you will realize its not easy

• Cool 1

Members
1,639 posts
Just now, jags_domain said:

Wow another whine post about CV and this time your flat out wrong.

So of course you will double down and lie more.

Play some CV and you will realize its not easy

lol wait til he sees the T10 German CV bow armor.

• Funny 2

[-VT-]
Members
746 posts
23,837 battles

yet I constantly do way more damage to cruiser and BB at the same angle with higher rating

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,566 posts
17,903 battles
1 minute ago, vikingno2 said:

yet I constantly do way more damage to cruiser and BB at the same angle with higher rating

GxXcevX.png

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 3

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,566 posts
17,903 battles
1 minute ago, vikingno2 said:

F*)&&)(&)&( U

Such eloquence and maturity. Such overwhelmingly convincing arguments. Truly sir, I am impressed by your eloquence, a masterclass of sesquipedalian loquaciousness. Truly, Pulitzer worthy.

A0l5PGl.gif

• Funny 2
  • Thanks 2

[STURM]
Members
686 posts
5,549 battles
25 minutes ago, vikingno2 said:

I was nose to nose with a French BB causing more damage that I was able to on that F.D.R. . You want o replay I can dig is up, I doubt you do you just want to say some smart [edited]remark .

Then dig it up and post it. The only thing Petro overmatches is the "super light" cruisers, so until we see that replay...

imageproxy.png.29c15016bee8208302dc7b32769a81ff.png

EDIT: Actually, I'm unsure if Petro can even overmatch those. How does rounding work for overmatch?

Edited by Muninn77

[-VT-]
Members
746 posts
23,837 battles

I need to dig through 22 replays do you know what program will play a reply ?

[STURM]
Members
686 posts
5,549 battles
12 minutes ago, vikingno2 said:

I need to dig through 22 replays do you know what program will play a reply ?

You open it by right clicking on the file, and use "open with," and select World of Warshils.

[SUCIT]
Members
1,087 posts
17,851 battles
41 minutes ago, Muninn77 said:

The only thing Petro overmatches is the "super light" cruisers, so until we see that replay.

you need 229mm to overmatch 16mm, Petro has 220mm, so she can't

[-VT-]
Members
746 posts
23,837 battles
25 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

you need 229mm to overmatch 16mm, Petro has 220mm, so she can't

It want just the bow I shot the deck, I shot just below the flight deck and little to the side everywhere I  hit did nothing.  I shot maybe 7 or eight salvos, I think one did a few thousand. The rest nothing  

[SPTR]
Members
3,767 posts
767 battles

Now, I know I'm not very good at this game and can't offer a lot of input on this subject but... If you're bouncing shells off a ship, why not go and use HE? :)

• Cool 2

[-VT-]
Members
746 posts
23,837 battles

Should have switched, the game was way out of hand there was three of us left and a bunch of them. I killed a Darning then ran into the CV by accident. It was a horrible game, our CV was just overwhelmed. The F.D.R. has several quirks, watch the replay and look at the sheer numbers of rockets its planes put out . I believe it was dropping 6 or 8 torps every run on me as well. 

The F.D.R basically was able the CV hunt. If it get out in its current form there really is no need to play any other CV.

[LEGIT]
Members
2,245 posts
30,709 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

Truly sir, I am impressed by your eloquence, a masterclass of sesquipedalian loquaciousness.

Oooh!  Sesquipedalian.  I like that word.  It is a woody word.  Somewhat like throatwobblermangrove.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,520 posts
4,934 battles
Just now, vikingno2 said:

It want just the bow I shot the deck, I shot just below the flight deck and little to the side everywhere I  hit did nothing.  I shot maybe 7 or eight salvos, I think one did a few thousand. The rest nothing  

If the angle was sufficient to automatically bounce your rounds then they were all going to bounce.

As to the French BB, you probably hit its superstructure.  BBs have significantly more superstructure than CVs.

Edited by Helstrem

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,524 posts
14,273 battles

There is a problem with FDR armor in that WG, in their typically lazily-incompetent fashion have just copied the incorrect deck armor of the Midway - which is modeled as a full deck extent and shouldn't be.

The bow is fine though.

[-VT-]
Members
746 posts
23,837 battles
12 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

The bow ok it can bounce the Deck shouldn't in-between the bow and the deck shouldn't, if the "simple" overmatch mechanics extends to the whole ship then it too dam "simple" . 

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
84 posts
964 battles

Is the FDR full armor layout still NDA? It might answer your frustration if someone can show that. 

Beta Testers
773 posts
2,984 battles
19 minutes ago, Roken1 said:

Is the FDR full armor layout still NDA? It might answer your frustration if someone can show that. 

It's Midway armor, nothing more, nothing less.

https://thedailybounce.net/world-of-warships/supertest-tier-x-u-s-aircraft-carrier-franklin-d-roosevelt/

Enclosed 19mm plating on bow and stern, quite a bit of deck and belt armor. If it is bow tanking or at an awkward angle, anything less than supercruiser guns is going to struggle with AP.