You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legozer

Please standardize the keys for consumables

13 comments in this topic

[DDMAF]
Members
2,808 posts
16,098 battles

"R" is already an across the board standard for DCP.

On most ships, "T" is for smoke, but not Flint, or Perth. Please just make "T" the key for smoke on all ships.

Likewise, settle on a universal key for each other possible consumable. 

Thanks.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[CK5]
Members
1,315 posts
13,321 battles

I believe we will get an option to assign keys for consumables in a planned update.  I am looking forward to it.  

[META_]
Members
693 posts
15,116 battles
6 minutes ago, legozer said:

On most ships, "T" is for smoke, but not Flint, or Perth. Please just make "T" the key for smoke on all ships.

Thanks.

It's so funny you brought this up... Last night I was pushing the wrong keys when under pressure in an unfamiliar boat, lol

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,721 posts
23 minutes ago, legozer said:

Thanks.

Reading patch notes is OP.  They are already doing it.

• Boring 1

[F4E]
Members
238 posts
5,681 battles

I have groused about this many times...I am not sure why it would be so difficult to standardize things...

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,570 posts
8 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Reading patch notes is OP.  They are already doing it.

They're not standardizing the keys, unless something has changed in the last 24-48 hours.  

They're adding the ability to assign each ship's consumables to the keys R to I.   But because there are 13+ possible consumables, that doesn't make each consumable the same key on every ship that has it. 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,721 posts
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

They're not standardizing the keys, unless something has changed in the last 24-48 hours.  

They're adding the ability to assign each ship's consumables to the keys R to I.   But because there are 13+ possible consumables, that doesn't make each consumable the same key on every ship that has it. 

I makes it so you can standardize the consumable keys across your ships, which accomplishes the goal.  I don't want to try to remember 13+ different keys across ships, some of which I hardly ever use.

• Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,570 posts
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

I makes it so you can standardize the consumable keys across your ships, which accomplishes the goal.  I don't want to try to remember 13+ different keys across ships, some of which I hardly ever use.

There is no way to standardize 13+ possible consumables with just 5 keys.  Eventually you end up with two ships that have different consumables on the same key. 

I'd rather know that Engine Boost is always J, than have to look down and find which key it happens to be on THIS ship. 

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

Alpha Tester
565 posts
14,173 battles

As one whose eyesight is not so good as it once was, standard keys would certainly interest me. Think it would be rather difficult to do though.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,808 posts
16,098 battles
23 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

There is no way to standardize 13+ possible consumables with just 5 keys.  Eventually you end up with two ships that have different consumables on the same key. 

I'd rather know that Engine Boost is always J, than have to look down and find which key it happens to be on THIS ship. 

This is an easy one to solve. Some of the 13 are rare, unique consumables, like torp reload booster and main arms reload boost. Those can be the same key, because they don't exist together on any ships. Likewise, I'm reasonably certain that there are no ships with both a fighter and spotter in different slots, so same hey there. Also, in the list of consumables I assume you are using, 3 of the 13 are actually smoke generator. There wouldn't be much confusion for DFAA, because it could have a standard key assignment for the few ships that have it in concert with hydro or speedboost, and would otherwise just be assigned to whatever standard consumable (hydro or speedboost) it replaces.

Realistically, smoke, hydro, radar and fighter/spotter should all be standardized. 90+% of smoke equipped ships use "T", but then you need to remember it's "U" for some reason when you play a handful of others. It's actually a bit dumb. "T" is hydro?? I mean, why???

Anyway, here's an easy solve:

"T" is always smoke. In non smoke ships, it's DFAA. That solves like, 99.9% of the issue.

Edited by legozer

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,570 posts
2 minutes ago, legozer said:

This is an easy one to solve. Some of the 13 are rare, unique consumables, like torp reload booster and main arms reload boost. Those can be the same key, because they don't exist together on any ships. Likewise, I'm reasonably certain that there are no ships with both a fighter and spotter in different slots, so same hey there. Also, in the list of consumables I assume you are using, 3 of the 13 are actually smoke generator. There wouldn't be much confusion for DFAA, because it could have a standard key assignment for the few ships that have it in concert with hydro or speedboost, and would otherwise just be assigned to whatever standard consumable (hydro or speedboost) it replaces.

Realistically, smoke, hydro, radar and fighter/spotter should all be standardized. 90+% of smoke equipped ships use "T", but then you need to remember it's "U" for some reason when you play a handful of others. It's actually a bit dumb. "T" is hydro?? I mean, why???

Anyway, here's an easy solve:

"T" is always smoke. In non smoke ships, it's DFAA. That solves like, 99.9% of the issue.

On some ships, T is Repair Party, on some it's Smoke, on some it's DFAA. 

What if we have a ship with Repair, Smoke, and DFAA someday? 

What if we have a ship with MBRB and TRB someday? 

[DDMAF]
Members
2,808 posts
16,098 battles
14 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

On some ships, T is Repair Party, on some it's Smoke, on some it's DFAA. 

What if we have a ship with Repair, Smoke, and DFAA someday? 

What if we have a ship with MBRB and TRB someday? 

Nothing needs to be absolute, but "T" for hydro on a smoke equipped ship is annoying and confusing. JUST MAKE "T" THE GD SMOKE! Really what I'm asking for is for commonly encountered consumables to get priority for a standard key. 

Also, there are other keys.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,570 posts
Just now, legozer said:

Nothing needs to be absolute, but "T" for hydro on a smoke equipped ship is annoying and confusing. JUST MAKE "T" THE GD SMOKE! Really what I'm asking for is for commonly encountered consumables to get priority for a standard key. 

Also, there are other keys.

Since the numbers keys to the right aren't used for anything, we could easily have: 

• 5-6-7-8-9
  • R-T-Y-U-I
  • G-H-J-K-L 

That's 15 keys for 13+ consumables, it should be enough.   Only the current H key's function would need to move.  

If you're just interested in T always being smoke on smoke-equipped ships, then the thing rearrangement option coming in  0.9.7 will let you do that much.