You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DolphinPrincess

A quick guide to dealing with HE spam

9 comments in this topic

[O7]
Members
952 posts
3,815 battles

I have seen a lot of posts about how there is "no counterplay" to HE spam, and I will quickly talk about the ways to counter it.

But first and foremost, you have to understand that if you are getting spammed by, say, a smolensk in smoke or behind an island, then you have already made a mistake, the same way a cruiser has made a mistake by making a broadside turn.

And this comes down to simple game mechanics involving spotting.

If an HE spammer is behind an island or in smoke, then he is undetected but so are you. If you are getting spammed that can only mean that someone else is in your concealment range spotting you, meaning that you have chosen to fight a 1v2. If this was not the intention to begin with (which it shouldnt), then its a positioning mistake on your end.

To prevent this from happening, map awareness and situational awareness are the key. (SA used to even be a skill back in the days but its now a built in for every ship because it was that powerful)

Battleships have a long reload, and the shell bloom penalty is 20 seconds, which means that between every salvo, there is a certain amount of time you can use to "check" your positioning 20 seconds after your salvo and before your next reload.

If you cannot "go dark" after 20 seconds have elapsed and you could before, that means someone have slipped into your minimum surface detection in the last 20 seconds. 

Now by analyzing the minimap, you can determine how to position yourself so that you can become undetected and escape perma spotting. There are many options:

1: Concealment buffering. (Take your minimum surface detection and subtract it by the minimum surface detection of the ship that is likely spotting you, if its unknown then use 5.5km as its the absolute minimum). Find an ally and position yourself to deflect spotting by being that distance behind the ally.

2: Use Islands. Islands are neutral, if your enemies can make use of them so can you. Just because there are islands you cant shoot over doesnt mean they cant be used, if they are tall enough to block your shells they are tall enough to block vision.

3: Stern in. This is most common with ships like Moskva but it applies to Battleships as well. Moskva does not want to make the turn because exposing broadside is death, Battleships are similar in that their turning is horrid and you will lose too much hp in the process of doing so. Thus anticipate and turn away at first opportunity before the shots actually come in.

4: Lead your target to unfavorable positions. An easy way to shake off spotting is to lead the spotter to a position where they would have to put themselves at risk to maintain spotting. No DD would want to chase into a Worcester, for example.

By staying at a position where you can "go dark", you become near immune to HE spam.

Remember all the times where people got lit on multiple fires, used their damage control, only to be lit on multiple fires again? Well, if you can go dark, then you would never be punished after using your damage control. (If you are, say, a German BB with 15 second DCP immunity period then simply let the fire burn for up to 5 seconds if you just shot)

Concealment is the best and most effective counter to HE spam because no one can shoot you if they cant see you. And by positioning well you can ensure that if the spammer does see you they would also be looking down the barrels of your guns.

• Cool 21
  • Thanks 3

[META_]
Members
690 posts
15,114 battles
1 hour ago, DolphinPrincess said:

I have seen a lot of posts about how there is "no counterplay" to HE spam, and I will quickly talk about the ways to counter it.

But first and foremost, you have to understand that if you are getting spammed by, say, a smolensk in smoke or behind an island, then you have already made a mistake, the same way a cruiser has made a mistake by making a broadside turn.

And this comes down to simple game mechanics involving spotting.

If an HE spammer is behind an island or in smoke, then he is undetected but so are you. If you are getting spammed that can only mean that someone else is in your concealment range spotting you, meaning that you have chosen to fight a 1v2. If this was not the intention to begin with (which it shouldnt), then its a positioning mistake on your end.

To prevent this from happening, map awareness and situational awareness are the key. (SA used to even be a skill back in the days but its now a built in for every ship because it was that powerful)

Battleships have a long reload, and the shell bloom penalty is 20 seconds, which means that between every salvo, there is a certain amount of time you can use to "check" your positioning 20 seconds after your salvo and before your next reload.

If you cannot "go dark" after 20 seconds have elapsed and you could before, that means someone have slipped into your minimum surface detection in the last 20 seconds. 

Now by analyzing the minimap, you can determine how to position yourself so that you can become undetected and escape perma spotting. There are many options:

1: Concealment buffering. (Take your minimum surface detection and subtract it by the minimum surface detection of the ship that is likely spotting you, if its unknown then use 5.5km as its the absolute minimum). Find an ally and position yourself to deflect spotting by being that distance behind the ally.

2: Use Islands. Islands are neutral, if your enemies can make use of them so can you. Just because there are islands you cant shoot over doesnt mean they cant be used, if they are tall enough to block your shells they are tall enough to block vision.

3: Stern in. This is most common with ships like Moskva but it applies to Battleships as well. Moskva does not want to make the turn because exposing broadside is death, Battleships are similar in that their turning is horrid and you will lose too much hp in the process of doing so. Thus anticipate and turn away at first opportunity before the shots actually come in.

4: Lead your target to unfavorable positions. An easy way to shake off spotting is to lead the spotter to a position where they would have to put themselves at risk to maintain spotting. No DD would want to chase into a Worcester, for example.

By staying at a position where you can "go dark", you become near immune to HE spam.

Remember all the times where people got lit on multiple fires, used their damage control, only to be lit on multiple fires again? Well, if you can go dark, then you would never be punished after using your damage control. (If you are, say, a German BB with 15 second DCP immunity period then simply let the fire burn for up to 5 seconds if you just shot)

Concealment is the best and most effective counter to HE spam because no one can shoot you if they cant see you. And by positioning well you can ensure that if the spammer does see you they would also be looking down the barrels of your guns.

So we have radar hate group, CV hate group and just seen a  halland AA hate group.. We now have HE hate group also?..... What happened to love thy neighbor, lol. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,623 posts
2 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

So we have radar hate group, CV hate group and just seen a  halland AA hate group.. We now have HE hate group also?..... What happened to love thy neighbor, lol. 

Some folks love hate and hate love. You know. 

Personally, I gotta find that Halland group! 

[META_]
Members
690 posts
15,114 battles
3 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Some folks love hate and hate love. You know. 

Personally, I gotta find that Halland group! 

LOL, hilarious...... If we just except what the game is and learn to deal with the obstacles and also not put ourselves in bad situations we'd be alot happier.. 

Members
3,397 posts
12,310 battles
8 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

If we just except what the game is and learn to deal with the obstacles and also not put ourselves in bad situations we'd be alot happier.. 

That's what Dolphin's post is about lol

Good post @DolphinPrincess, this is a very useful and more in depth post of what I usually preach. 

Edited by Rollingonit

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
57 posts
2,540 battles

Nooooo you can't give smart and reasonable advice for countering a frustrating mechanic don't you know what this echo chamber  forum is here for?!

/s

• Funny 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,094 posts
15,846 battles

Your 2nd point is probably the most common countermeasure used by my enemies that come under a hail of 127mm fire from my colbert.

Had this enemy Ohio that tried to get behind an island under cover from me problem is he was still spotted and the island was just short enough for my shells to fly over and but worst was he beached himself there so all this time he tried to get into cover, beached and reversed out of being a notser. I was spraying him with 127mm HE rounds until he died, farmed 94k dmg from him alone.

[STW-N]
Members
3,913 posts
9,021 battles

Honestly having an exit plan is always just good advice regardless of class or circumstance.

The same advice for HE spam can also be applied to things like capping, kiting, and overall positioning, which I think is the big point of this post: never put yourself in a position which you can’t escape easily.