You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

How is it possible only 79 players have completed all PT season missions for four seasons?

49 comments in this topic

[NSC]
Supertester
2,320 posts

How is it possible only 79 players have completed all PT season missions for four seasons? Are there that few players on the PT? I am genuinely surprised.

From the news page released today:

"For obtaining all the four seasonal emblems, players are rewarded with the "Ultimate PT Warrior" emblem.

77ab3ece-d0c2-11ea-95df-8cdcd4b147d4.jpg"

There are 7,149 players online right now at 10:27 AM ET on a Tuesday, which I would guess isn't prime time. 79 seems small  — too small — in comparison. (The numbers are 85 for the Asia server, 170 for EU, and then 311 for RU.)

Something else I don't understand is why only 71 players received the additional, not previously announced, reward of 3 days prem time, some camo, and some signals:

77a3991c-d0c2-11ea-882e-8cdcd4b147d4.jpg

The requirements for this seem to be less strict: Complete all seasons from Summer Season 2019 - Spring Season 2020 or Autumn Season 2019 - Summer Season 2020. Shouldn't this be 79+ players (as 79 completed Summer Season 2019 - Spring Season 2020)?

For those unfamiliar, each PT has a season mission (e.g. Summer Season 1), with every 3 PT updates constituting a "season". The first season spanned PT 0.8.4 to PT 0.8.6 (Summer Season 2019). This season had arguably the easiest missions of any season (Win 15 Random battles). After a 2 month break, seasons resumed with the Autumn Season. Later seasons had missions of the form "Play 20 battles, Earn 30,000 BXP, Something else (e.g. Do 2M damage)."

On the plus side, I won't need to submit a ticket to CS:

Spoiler

image.png.82fcc088c3f65d683859c6581a719fe2.png

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,567 posts
22 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

How is it possible only 79 players have completed all PT season missions for four seasons? Are there that few players on the PT? I am genuinely surprised.

"For obtaining all the four seasonal emblems, players are rewarded with the "Ultimate PT Warrior" emblem.

There are 7,149 players online right now at 10:27 AM ET on a Tuesday, which I would guess isn't prime time. 79 seems small  — too small — in comparison. (The numbers are 85 for the Asia server, 170 for EU, and then 311 for RU.)

Something else I don't understand is why only 71 players received the additional, not previously announced, reward of 3 days prem time, some camo, and some signals:

The requirements for this seem to be less strict: Complete all seasons from Summer Season 2019 - Spring Season 2020 or Autumn Season 2019 - Summer Season 2020. Shouldn't this be 79+ players (as 79 completed Summer Season 2019 - Spring Season 2020)?

For those unfamiliar, each PT has a season mission (e.g. Summer Season 1), with every 3 PT updates constituting a "season". The first season spanned PT 0.8.4 to PT 0.8.6 (Summer Season 2019). This season had arguably the easiest missions of any season (Win 15 Random battles). After a 2 month break, seasons resumed with the Autumn Season. Later seasons had missions of the form "Play 20 battles, Earn 30,000 BXP, Something else (e.g. Do 2M damage)."

Reveal hidden contents

There is sinking participation in PTS -- plus until this most recent PTS iteration the missions were Randoms-only for the most part. 

(See link in my sig for suggestions on how to draw more participation to PTS.) 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Members
773 posts
5,403 battles

Because people realize it doesn’t do anything and is a waste. WG is going to release all of that because PT takes place 2-3 weeks before release of that content. They don’t change anything and they don’t listen to feedback. You don’t get to taste new content and after you spent hours in a barren wasteland trying to complete the missions you’re given a measly T6 premium that only noobs care about.

• Cool 9
  • Meh 1

[O_O]
Members
610 posts

Make the reward a T7 and the participation would skyrocket.  

• Cool 2

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
162 posts
8,164 battles

It's hard enough to get up the energy to play the regular game with all of the limited time engagements going on there, let alone taking away from that time to play the PT.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 2

[SIMP]
Members
1,186 posts
10,256 battles
17 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Reveal hidden contents

The game isnt popular and playing on the test server even less...

Seems reasonable

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
760 posts

It is fairly time consuming to complete all the missions.  This is not really a test sever.  It is a bug server.  Development time has already been put in and we are getting it no matter what we think at this point.  So feedback is irrelevant.  The tier VI premium?  Well how many really wanted one of the tier VI carriers they were handing out?  

• Cool 3

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,567 posts

There are still tier VI premiums I'd like to have. 

There is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem with PTS... the impression that WG doesn't listen to PTS feedback and that it's too late discourages people, but the low participation also devalues the PTS feedback for some inside WG. 

Personally, I do the PTS  for the signals and camos, and to see new changes upcoming, and so that I can give my feedback -- if WG ignores my feedback, then it's on them if I was right.  :Smile_Default:

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,212 posts
15,343 battles

I enjoy the PT server but I enjoy completing missions on the live server more. So........

• Thanks 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,440 posts
14,145 battles
25 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well some of us play using MAC, and not sure if this is still the case but in the past there was not support for MAC users to use PT Server. Which has been alright as long as the main game works well. This alone would cut down the PT Server player numbers some what, although would not entirely account for everyone not doing it.

However I suspect time is the biggest factor among the the players not wanting to bother too much with PT Server. The rewards are not great enough for majority of the players to take time out of progressing on main game to grind progress in a Test Server that has no bearing on their main accounts really.

And it’s also different than being an event player as well, which while having little effect on your main account can still directly bring fun and enjoyment to the players on the live game server and is fun to do it. Like I proudly served with Corgi Fleet, worked hard at it to play well, and would sacrifice my own game progress gladly for entire long weekend to do it. Those events the Corgi players would typically try to play as skillfully as possible so only those that proved worthy could claim our rewards. Lol got shot at so much that I actually improved my own gameplay as added benefit. And these are things the Test Server once again does not offer.

[OIL-1]
Members
916 posts

If I remember correctly, one of those seasons had an impossible mission.
Like 'must reach Rank 1'.
The problem is, you sit in queue for 10 minutes, then get disgusted and quit.
Things improved after that one, so they must have seen that it was an issue.

• Cool 2

[SOFOP]
Members
2,343 posts
13,746 battles

If I recall correctly, when the "summer season" in 2019 was here, there was no indication of anything regarding emblems or rewards or anything.  They started this in the Autumn season, and the retrofilled people who completed all the tasks in the previous PTS session to equate to the "summer season". 

I may be wrong and I'm not going to dig through the atrocious news pages in order to try and find it.  But my belief is that "most" people probably have 3 of the 4 emblems right now, and missed summer 2019.  That is why they are allowing people to collect the summer one for 2020 and it counts to the total reward package.

In all, those people will have gotten 4 free T6s and a ton of flags, in order to test stuff.

As for the "They never listen to feedback on PTS" - you have misunderstood the reason for a PTS.  The reason isn't for your feedback - they got that from super testers and internal testing already.  The PTS is to look for major, game breaking issues across as many PCs as possible.  They want to make as sure as possible that all the game breaking bugs are solved, or that they are at least AWARE of them and can ready a fix asap if needed.  This may not be the right way to handle things, but they have made it pretty clear that by the time something gets to test, they are fairly good to go with the major aspects of it, and now they just need people to pressure test things and get them more gameplay data, to make minor tweaks.  In the end, for most games, player opinion from the general public isn't held in all that high regard.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[SLDS]
Members
44 posts
5,545 battles

It’s mainly because events are still going on on the live server when public test is up, so people want to make progress in x, y, and z events rather than a super grindy thing with very long MM.

• Cool 1

[SUCIT]
Members
1,088 posts
17,860 battles
50 minutes ago, Rustyhole said:

I'll second that. I nearly have all possible T6 premiums that could drop (only missing Dunk, Molotov, Huanghe, Arizona and Perth) so it won't be long until I'll have all possible options to drop, so moving it to T7 with more choices (and more ships I don't have) would greatly help. Although i believe once you get all possible T6 ships from those containers, you will get doubloon compensation for whichever one you roll, so I'd take getting on average 4500 doubloons every 3 months as well, though WG might close that loophole if people catch onto it, as it'll allow me to get a T10 perma camo every three months, or a T8 ship every 9 months

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,448 posts
10,877 battles

Got to work no time for the PT . I have just enough time to lose 3 out of 5 games after work and then go to bed pissed .

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,481 posts

I dont always have the spare storage capacity or download speed available to be able to do every round pf PTS.

thats my excuse.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,567 posts
Just now, Dareios said:

I dont always have the spare storage capacity or download speed available to be able to do every round pf PTS.

thats my excuse.

PTS updates just like the Live Server iteration of the game -- you need space for one extra install, not a series of new installs. 

Where it gets nuts is when you're also trying to do the special testing, and need room for a THIRD iteration install. 

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,481 posts
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

PTS updates just like the Live Server iteration of the game -- you need space for one extra install, not a series of new installs. 

Where it gets nuts is when you're also trying to do the special testing, and need room for a THIRD iteration install. 

yes.... and on occasion ive needed to choose between that new AAA game I want to get from steam and the 30G or so that PTS woudl take up on my hard drive.

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
84 posts
964 battles

PT server also only run on weekends, so for those of us who prefer to play with friends on weekends on the live server, well it isn't a great investment in "free time". That said, any reward for PT server on the live server is already a bonus. A lot of people put a lot of time into beta testing games and typically get only token rewards too. 

[NSC]
Supertester
2,320 posts

Thanks for the replies and thoughts so far, all! You all have great points I haven't considered.

1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

There is sinking participation in PTS -- plus until this most recent PTS iteration the missions were Randoms-only for the most part. 

(See link in my sig for suggestions on how to draw more participation to PTS.) 

I agree the 79 reflects a low PT participation. I am surprised that participation is this low though. (But I usually don't see any participation numbers.) I have read the post in your sig already (and actually commented in that post).

1 hour ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

Because people realize it doesn’t do anything and is a waste. WG is going to release all of that because PT takes place 2-3 weeks before release of that content. They don’t change anything and they don’t listen to feedback. You don’t get to taste new content and after you spent hours in a barren wasteland trying to complete the missions you’re given a measly T6 premium that only noobs care about.

I think WG does change some things off of PT (though I agree the general concept of what will be released has been finalized by the time anything reaches the PT). It would be great if someone at WG could release a list of "This is what we changed due to players' PT feedback before changes hit the live servers." I have gotten T-61 from the PT missions, which I really enjoy.

1 hour ago, Rustyhole said:

Agreed! :Smile_teethhappy: For a long time, there was no free T6 prem. Yet, I still did PT all the time. Perhaps oddly, I have to say the T6 prem is not my primary motivation for doing the PT.

1 hour ago, Croda said:

It's hard enough to get up the energy to play the regular game with all of the limited time engagements going on there, let alone taking away from that time to play the PT.

I agree with this too. So many regular events on the live server that it's a grind on top of a grind to grind the PT season missions while grinding the live server missions. When the PT is up, I prioritize testing the PT and don't grind on the live server. But yes, this is a big problem I would guess.

1 hour ago, _cthulhu_ said:

The game isnt popular and playing on the test server even less...

Seems reasonable

There were 7,149 players on the NA server as I was typing this post. Yet, only 79 NA players finished 4 PT seasons. The difference between 79 and the normal NA live server player population is what I was getting at. (There are 9,768 online as I am typing this. Weekday 10:48 AM PT/1:48 PM ET is definitely not primetime.) image.png.381f39311f614b320dc4bc03e31cb7b6.png 

1 hour ago, Gaske said:

craprewards that's is why no one cares about PTS..

Do you think a T6 prem is a bad reward?

1 hour ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

It is fairly time consuming to complete all the missions.  This is not really a test sever.  It is a bug server.  Development time has already been put in and we are getting it no matter what we think at this point.  So feedback is irrelevant.  The tier VI premium?  Well how many really wanted one of the tier VI carriers they were handing out?  

Yes, I agree you must put games in to finish the missions and that the features in PT most likely will be implemented in the live server. Guess you also don't care about a T6 prem?

56 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

There are still tier VI premiums I'd like to have. 

There is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem with PTS... the impression that WG doesn't listen to PTS feedback and that it's too late discourages people, but the low participation also devalues the PTS feedback for some inside WG. 

Personally, I do the PTS  for the signals and camos, and to see new changes upcoming, and so that I can give my feedback -- if WG ignores my feedback, then it's on them if I was right.  :Smile_Default:

"the low participation also devalues the PTS feedback for some inside WG." I've never considered this! I think it would be great if someone at WG could release a list of "This is what we changed due to players' PT feedback before changes hit the live servers."

56 minutes ago, paradat said:

I enjoy the PT server but I enjoy completing missions on the live server more. So........

I can see where you're coming from. Seems someone else has mentioned this too.

53 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Well some of us play using MAC, and not sure if this is still the case but in the past there was not support for MAC users to use PT Server. Which has been alright as long as the main game works well. This alone would cut down the PT Server player numbers some what, although would not entirely account for everyone not doing it.

However I suspect time is the biggest factor among the the players not wanting to bother too much with PT Server. The rewards are not great enough for majority of the players to take time out of progressing on main game to grind progress in a Test Server that has no bearing on their main accounts really.

And it’s also different than being an event player as well, which while having little effect on your main account can still directly bring fun and enjoyment to the players on the live game server and is fun to do it. Like I proudly served with Corgi Fleet, worked hard at it to play well, and would sacrifice my own game progress gladly for entire long weekend to do it. Those events the Corgi players would typically try to play as skillfully as possible so only those that proved worthy could claim our rewards. Lol got shot at so much that I actually improved my own gameplay as added benefit. And these are things the Test Server once again does not offer.

I don't use a Mac, so can't comment on Mac support for PT. I think even live server support is worse for Mac? I see what you mean that the PT is less "fun." Lucky you got to serve with the Corgi Fleet!

48 minutes ago, z9_ said:

If I remember correctly, one of those seasons had an impossible mission.
Like 'must reach Rank 1'.
The problem is, you sit in queue for 10 minutes, then get disgusted and quit.
Things improved after that one, so they must have seen that it was an issue.

PT missions for "Reach Rank 1" still regularly occur. Here's a recent example from PT 0.9.6, the second most recent PT:

image.thumb.png.34868807cd0c1612ae447c89f720ba35.png

If my memory is correct, WG has somewhat alleviated the queue time problem by allowing smaller teams for Ranks 10 to Rank 5. For Rank 5 to Rank 1, the queue times are similar throughout the last few PTs (and yes, can be very long).

47 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

If I recall correctly, when the "summer season" in 2019 was here, there was no indication of anything regarding emblems or rewards or anything.  They started this in the Autumn season, and the retrofilled people who completed all the tasks in the previous PTS session to equate to the "summer season". 

I may be wrong and I'm not going to dig through the atrocious news pages in order to try and find it.  But my belief is that "most" people probably have 3 of the 4 emblems right now, and missed summer 2019.  That is why they are allowing people to collect the summer one for 2020 and it counts to the total reward package.

In all, those people will have gotten 4 free T6s and a ton of flags, in order to test stuff.

As for the "They never listen to feedback on PTS" - you have misunderstood the reason for a PTS.  The reason isn't for your feedback - they got that from super testers and internal testing already.  The PTS is to look for major, game breaking issues across as many PCs as possible.  They want to make as sure as possible that all the game breaking bugs are solved, or that they are at least AWARE of them and can ready a fix asap if needed.  This may not be the right way to handle things, but they have made it pretty clear that by the time something gets to test, they are fairly good to go with the major aspects of it, and now they just need people to pressure test things and get them more gameplay data, to make minor tweaks.  In the end, for most games, player opinion from the general public isn't held in all that high regard.

I actually dug through old news pages (yes, it is a pain) and linked the news page for PT 0.8.4.

1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

The first season spanned PT 0.8.4 to PT 0.8.6 (Summer Season 2019).

A "patch and flag" are mentioned as well as a T6 prem ship. I don't see anything about an emblem:

image.thumb.png.800846397636fb27b645333981f52d60.png

(I am guessing the rewards were announced in advance and there wasn't any retrofitting unless WG edited the news pages after the fact - I checked the pages for 0.8.5 and 0.8.6 as well.)

Thanks for writing this post! Your last paragraph is particularly key.

50 minutes ago, Shadow_Woof said:

It’s mainly because events are still going on on the live server when public test is up, so people want to make progress in x, y, and z events rather than a super grindy thing with very long MM.

Thanks for sharing! Yep, I've now seen this from 2 others now.

28 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

I'll second that. I nearly have all possible T6 premiums that could drop (only missing Dunk, Molotov, Huanghe, Arizona and Perth) so it won't be long until I'll have all possible options to drop, so moving it to T7 with more choices (and more ships I don't have) would greatly help. Although i believe once you get all possible T6 ships from those containers, you will get doubloon compensation for whichever one you roll, so I'd take getting on average 4500 doubloons every 3 months as well, though WG might close that loophole if people catch onto it, as it'll allow me to get a T10 perma camo every three months, or a T8 ship every 9 months

I don't know if I consider the doubloons a "loophole." Players spent doubloons/money to collect all T6 ships. There's no point in penalizing those players.

9 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Got to work no time for the PT . I have just enough time to lose 3 out of 5 games after work and then go to bed pissed .

Thanks for sharing! Seems this is a very common problem.

7 minutes ago, Dareios said:

thats my excuse.

The PT is 50+ GB and I actually bought an external hard drive just to fit it. Yet, I've never considered this before. This is a very good excuse! Thanks for sharing!

2 minutes ago, Roken1 said:

PT server also only run on weekends, so for those of us who prefer to play with friends on weekends on the live server, well it isn't a great investment in "free time". That said, any reward for PT server on the live server is already a bonus. A lot of people put a lot of time into beta testing games and typically get only token rewards too. 

I understand this too. WG could consider extending the PT to 1 week instead of the current 4 days (Thursday - Sunday) for more players to test it.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,567 posts
8 minutes ago, Dareios said:

yes.... and on occasion ive needed to choose between that new AAA game I want to get from steam and the 30G or so that PTS woudl take up on my hard drive.

Understood, just making sure it was clear for anyone reading -- I've run into people before who thought they needed to install a brand new iteration of the game for every test.  

• Cool 1

[PEEDZ]
Members
988 posts
7,934 battles

Nobody gives a crapabout PTS, that along with unworthy rewards for spending large amounts of time to complete useless missions is why nobody plays the game. Also WG doesnt give a dogs crap about your feedback, although PTS is just for more like if everythings working or not 

• Boring 1

[-ARM-]
Members
8 posts
15,911 battles

I got 3 of the 4 badges but couldn't finish the Autumn season. During PT 0.8.10 I could not log into Random missions for 1 of the weekends. Just sat in queue with the timer ticking away. After several attempts with no luck I left the queue up for over an hour and couldn't get into a game. After that weekend I just did not have enough time to complete Autumn mission.

Beta Testers
775 posts
2,984 battles

Some of the Winter requirements were very unreasonable and also took place during the Puerto Rico grind and Snowflakes.

The other season grinds are substantial as well and many don't offer meaningful intermediate rewards.