Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GreenAppel

Impressions from a new player

46 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
160 battles

I've played for a couple of weeks and I have a few observations where the game could be improved:

The loading times are horrendous. This includes starting the game up and logging in and going to any other windows like the technology tree.

Being yelled out in pink tes and penalized from other matches is utterly childish, ridiculous, and demeaning. Hitting other players is going to happen, battles get intense, the shooter taking the damage is reason enough reason to TRY not to hit other players, but its going to happen. 

The interface is downright confusing to learn and still is painful to navigate. Can we not just have one page that shows ALL your inventory, I still have no idea how much coal I have.

Premium pricing....wow. Give me a decent monthly rate and I will consider it.

I've played around with WoW Blitz and  is a much more enjoyable experience, without seeing dumbed down. 

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 6
  • Meh 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,871 posts
8,831 battles
8 minutes ago, GreenAppel said:

The loading times are horrendous

Yep. But FYI, switching to SSD helps A LOT.

8 minutes ago, GreenAppel said:

Being yelled out in pink tes and penalized from other matches is utterly childish, ridiculous, and demeaning. Hitting other players is going to happen

As you get better, it'll happen less and less. And remember, it's ALWAYS your fault when you hit your teammates.

• Cool 4
  • Meh 1

[A-D-F]
Members
2,066 posts
7,456 battles
9 minutes ago, GreenAppel said:

I've played for a couple of weeks and I have a few observations where the game could be improved:

1)  The loading times are horrendous. This includes starting the game up and logging in and going to any other windows like the technology tree.

2)  Being yelled out in pink tes and penalized from other matches is utterly childish, ridiculous, and demeaning. Hitting other players is going to happen, battles get intense, the shooter taking the damage is reason enough reason to TRY not to hit other players, but its going to happen. 

3)  The interface is downright confusing to learn and still is painful to navigate. Can we not just have one page that shows ALL your inventory, I still have no idea how much coal I have.

4)  Premium pricing....wow. Give me a decent monthly rate and I will consider it.

I've played around with WoW Blitz and  is a much more enjoyable experience, without seeing dumbed down. 

1)  Partly server, partly client.  If you have a good rig, load times are better but still pretty slow.

2)  Penalty system is designed to stop deliberate griefers.  It could use a revamp, but...

3)  The UI has been recently changed/updated to mixed reviews.  You have to access the Armory page to see how much coal and steel you have.  Not spectacular, I know.

4)  Christmas time, 50% off premium time.

Welcome aboard!  

[CK5]
Members
1,316 posts
13,329 battles
3 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Yep. But FYI, switching to SSD helps A LOT.

I will second the comment.  An SSD made an enormous difference for me.  Now, an argument could be made that the game shouldn't require an SSD to load properly, but the fact remains that one helps. 

[A-D-F]
6,722 posts
49 minutes ago, GreenAppel said:

The loading times are horrendous. This includes starting the game up and logging in and going to any other windows like the technology tree.

Being yelled out in pink tes and penalized from other matches is utterly childish, ridiculous, and demeaning. Hitting other players is going to happen, battles get intense, the shooter taking the damage is reason enough reason to TRY not to hit other players, but its going to happen. 

The interface is downright confusing to learn and still is painful to navigate. Can we not just have one page that shows ALL your inventory, I still have no idea how much coal I have.

The loading time is a your computer thing.  I am in a match in a few seconds.  SSDs are VERY cheap now and a valuable upgrade.

Going pink happens to everyone.  As you play, it will become more and more rare for you.

The prices in this game are reasonable and honestly, pretty cheap compared to some others.  It just depends on how much you use a premium ship.  I have nearly 1K games in my MO for example.  I would most certainly say I got my money's worth out of it.

That said, it is perfectly possible to play this game with no premium ships and WG gives away premium ships, for everyone, on a regular basis.  I would venture to say that nearly half of my 56 current premium ships, were free.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[-K-]
Members
8,168 posts
13,463 battles
3 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I will second the comment.  An SSD made an enormous difference for me.  Now, an argument could be made that the game shouldn't require an SSD to load properly, but the fact remains that one helps. 

Agreed.  Once I switched to an SSD, my eight year old PC has no problem keeping up with things.

I'll never run a PC without an SSD again.

[A-D-F]
6,722 posts
5 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

As games progress and technology advances.  Hardware must as well to keep up.  It's becoming more and more common that an SSD is required for reasonable performance in games.  This game is honestly behind the curve and easy to run, compared to current AAA games.

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
506 posts
7,187 battles
16 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Agreed.  Once I switched to an SSD, my eight year old PC has no problem keeping up with things.

Could you expand on this a bit?  Do you now have a regular hard drive with your data and an SSD with the OS or how does that work exactly.   Regards from someone with a 5+ year old off the shelf Dell from Costco user.

[A-D-F]
6,722 posts
17 minutes ago, Altwar said:

Could you expand on this a bit?  Do you now have a regular hard drive with your data and an SSD with the OS or how does that work exactly.   Regards from someone with a 5+ year old off the shelf Dell from Costco user.

You can run a combination of SSD and spinning drives or just SSD drives.

I currently have 2 SSD drives and 1 spinning drive. 

I have a 250GB WD Green SSD that runs my OS (Windows 10) with a few random games on it. A 1 Terabyte Samsung EVO 970 SSD (NVME) drive that is my gaming drive and holds all the common games I play (including this game). Finally a 2 Terabyte old school spinning drive that is for everything else that doesn't require performance and is just bulk storage.

When that spinning drive dies or when I next upgrade, I will just go all SSD NVME.  Unless you are storeing a huge amount of data on your gaming PC, going all SSD is a crazy cheap upgrade with loads of return value.

A cheap SSD like my WD Green, isn't bleeding edge like my Samsung NVME, but is still a massive upgrade over a spinning drive and can be had for something like $40.

• Cool 1

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
162 posts
8,172 battles
44 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

The prices in this game are reasonable and honestly, pretty cheap compared to some others.  It just depends on how much you use a premium ship.  I have nearly 1K games in my MO for example.  I would most certainly say I got my money's worth out of it.

Uhh...Paying the cost of an entire new off the shelf game just to buy a single ship is not cheap.

High end premium ships in this game should be on the order of $10, not $50+

• Cool 3

[-K-]
Members
8,168 posts
13,463 battles
28 minutes ago, Altwar said:

Since I don't need a lot of space to store media, I just installed a 512GB Samsung SSD in my system to replace the HD.  I don't even use the HD anymore for anything.

My PC is a Dell also, and with the SSD upgrade, everything from Windows to WoWS loads and runs so much more efficiently now.  The only other thing I've added is a bit more memory along the way.

If I recall correctly, the SSD cost me less than $125CDN.

Edited by Ace_04
  • Cool 1

[A-D-F]
6,722 posts
9 minutes ago, Croda said:

Uhh...Paying the cost of an entire new off the shelf game just to buy a single ship is not cheap.

High end premium ships in this game should be on the order of $10, not $50+

Not to derail things but to give some perspective, there are other games in which digital items require several hundred dollars to even begin to meaningfully participate.  You can meaningfully participate in this game, for free.

WG sets the prices and we choose if we want to pay them or not.  Ships in this game have been $50+ since the launch, some 5 years ago.  Load into any match and you will see that WG is selling them hand over fist.  The market has spoken, that the ships are priced at what players are willing to spend on them.

You don't have to spend it of course, but they are selling.

• Cool 1

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
162 posts
8,172 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

Not to derail things but to give some perspective, there are other games in which digital items require several hundred dollars to even begin to meaningfully participate.

WG sets the prices and we choose if we want to pay them or not.  Ships in this game have been $50+ since the launch, some 5 years ago.  Load into any match and you will see that they are selling them hand over fist.  The market clearly says, that the ships are priced at what the average player is willing to spend on them.

You don't have to spend it of course, but they are selling.

I have bought several (in the past, not any more).  And I agree that prices are set at what people are willing to pay for them.  That doesn't make the price reasonable or cheap.  Cheap compared to another game, sure.  Cheap in general, not for what you get.  And to be fair, you did say cheap compared to some other games.  Not trying to pick a fight...I know that's rare around here.  :)  I just think that people have gotten so used to the pricing here they've talked themselves into thinking it's a bargain.  But I agree, let's not derail the OP's thread.  sorry.

[A-D-F]
6,722 posts
26 minutes ago, Croda said:

I have bought several (in the past, not any more).  And I agree that prices are set at what people are willing to pay for them.  That doesn't make the price reasonable or cheap.  Cheap compared to another game, sure.  Cheap in general, not for what you get.  And to be fair, you did say cheap compared to some other games.  Not trying to pick a fight...I know that's rare around here.  :)  I just think that people have gotten so used to the pricing here they've talked themselves into thinking it's a bargain.  But I agree, let's not derail the OP's thread.  sorry.

Value is always in the eye of the beholder.   What you get for your money in this game, is always up to you.  You can spend $50 on ship and play it 10 times.  That's a horrible value.  You can spend $50 on a ship and play it 1,000 times.  That's a fantastic value.

At the end of the day though, one thing we can compare it to is other real world costs.  A night out to the movies and dinner at a nice resturant, is going to be $50+ for quite a lot of America right now.  One could look at that and say, I got what, 4-5 hours of entertainment and enjoyment?

For that same price, I could get hundreds or thousands of hours over the course of years with a ship that I really like.

That doesn't mean that one replaces the other.  Don't sit at home playing WoWs every night of your life, go out and do stuff. Value though, is a very personal thing and relative.

Another example that "just" happened, is an oil change on my truck.  I didn't feel like doing it myself this time so I dropped by one of those pull in places that does it fast while you wait, 2 days ago.  It was $59 for an oil change using Valvoline synthetic blend.  $60, for an oil change that took 10 minutes and that I will need to do again,  in just 3K miles.  Yes, I could save money and do it myself, but my point is that that is what it cost.

The world is an expensive place to be in.  I dunno why people think video games should be magically immune to that.

Members
2 posts
160 battles
26 minutes ago, Altwar said:

Its a prebuilt Dell from Best Buy and come to think of it prolly around 5 YO too, I'll pickup an SSD since they're cheap, easy and recommended. I play many other titles but this game is annoyingly slow loading, it stands out. It plays fine at least.

It takes just over a minute to load and login, 22 seconds to open the premium shop, and around 5 seconds on other windows. The premium shop I can understand. but everything else is around 5 seconds, where I'm used to it being instant feeling on other titles. like [edited], WotB, or Crossout.   

The multiple help prompt replies do show an active forum. However, my comments still stand about a new players' experience.....perhaps one day I'll find my coal levels.

PC Vitals, is it really that out of date?:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    AMD FX-8800P    57 °C
    Carrizo 28nm Technology
RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0593VH (P0)    51 °C
Graphics
    SAMSUNG (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 360 (Dell)    42 °C
Storage
    1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA )    41 °C

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
6,722 posts
15 minutes ago, GreenAppel said:

Its a prebuilt Dell from Best Buy and come to think of it prolly around 5 YO too, I'll pickup an SSD since they're cheap, easy and recommended. I play many other titles but this game is annoyingly slow loading, it stands out. It plays fine at least.

It takes just over a minute to load and login, 22 seconds to open the premium shop, and around 5 seconds on other windows. The premium shop I can understand. but everything else is around 5 seconds, where I'm used to it being instant feeling on other titles. like [edited], WotB, or Crossout.   

The multiple help prompt replies do show an active forum. However, my comments still stand about a new players' experience.....perhaps one day I'll find my coal levels.

PC Vitals, is it really that out of date?:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    AMD FX-8800P    57 °C
    Carrizo 28nm Technology
RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0593VH (P0)    51 °C
Graphics
    SAMSUNG (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 360 (Dell)    42 °C
Storage
    1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA )    41 °C

That's a laptop CPU and a video card that you can currently get on ebay for $60.

I would recommend an SSD as stated.  Even a cheap one will make a world of difference for you.

In addition, your RAM is REALLY slowing you down.  DDR3 is ancient technology at this point and 800 is......glacially slow.  I mean my smart phone has faster memory.  DDR4 at 3200 is pretty standard at this point and 3600 is starting to become the norm for modern gaming boxes.

The other games you mention, like WotB and Crossout are nearly mobile games.  I think you can make some changes to your PC to help you to make WoWs run faster, but I don't think you are grasping just how slow your hardware really is. 

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,481 posts
1 hour ago, Altwar said:

I run my OS and all online games from SSD.

HDD is used for media storage, office type files and single player games.

In warships thus has meant that in the past, admittedly also with an older rig, running off HDD meant I might load into a match 80-90 seconds after the server has started it, and a CTD meanr that match was over. With SSD power I will load in 30s before the server, and a CTD takes about a minute to reboot client and match with a 50/50 chance of me still being alive and useful in match.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,443 posts
14,160 battles
2 hours ago, GreenAppel said:

First off Welcome to World of Warships PC and to the Forum! If you give things a chance you will find the PC version of WOWs is far superior in quality to the Blitz version. ( Although if you ever try World of Tanks,  WOT Blitz is actually the better one.)

The game loading time is the result of a lot of HD Graphics getting loaded, then loading into battles that can be on some large maps with 24 HD Warships, lot of moving components, so the loading in time of up to a minute is reasonable.

In order to creat a bit more realism in battles in WOWs we have team damage enabled. Without it you could pull some crazy stunts that would spoil the fun at times. And in time you can learn to use this game mechanic against the enemy by moving in close enough to an enemy target that enemy fire can’t hit you without risking their ally. Or I have gotten in close ranged fight with enemy ship where we were circling and they enemy up timing it wrong and sustained heavy damage from torpedoes. So it can be a fun an useful thing to have enabled. But of course their needs to be penalties so that players do not abuse it by constantly.

And most player will not make fun of you if you accidentally go pink, although they may joke about it with you. Lol like I have a ship I love using called Yoshino and it carries 20x 20km torpedoes that not all the time, but just often enough one of those torpedoes will hit an allied player and turn the user’s name pink. So if jokes are made it’s not insulting the player, but more of a bit of humor that a player being pink in Yoshino is “status normal”.

Big thing is just to be friendly and polite to players and most of the time they will act the same way towards you. Just like in real life where how you treat others often gets reflected back at you.

Yes the game can be confusing at first, but once you get it learned it’s really well laid out so that you are not hit with useless info all the time. Like if I am anywhere in the game except the Armory I don’t need Coal and other special currencies that only work in Armory displayed. But if I open Armory then the Armory resources get displayed. If you have the game open and are in port the Armory tab should be on your left part of the screen, and in there there are tabs on the left once again that open various parts of that where you can get special ships and other items.

There is another part of the interface you should know, when in a battle you can hold down “H” key to show a display of your concealment ranges, weapons ranges, plus AA and secondary guns operational status. And can be useful as it’s too hard to remember all that info for every single ship. And is another example of there when you need it and unseen when not needed.

And yes things can be a bit pricey, but there are sales. The money goes into running servers, creating content which is not cheap to do with 3D graphics like what we have in game, and paying the staff. And is fair enough considering you can spend as much or as little real money as you wish. Some things in game just may take longer to get is all. Like I have to be a Free to Play Player and I do just fine in game, granted I am missing a few ships, but still can do well in battles.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[TIMT]
Members
206 posts
2,626 battles
1 hour ago, Altwar said:

Switching from spinning drives to SSD is probably the biggest upgrade in user-experience you can get for money. As others stated you can use a smaller SSD for OS and most important programs/games and have a bigger HDD for the rest.

The increase in just read/write and especially random read/write latency is what makes the difference, as almost everything from browsing files to opening programs etc. becomes much 'snappier' and faster. Raw performance, FPS of games etc. is not affected, but the quality of life improvement for day to day usage is insane. I'll never go back to spinning media. In some games even the difference between SATA and NVME SSDs can be noticed (just recently got to compare Witcher 3 load times after a re-install and SATA was noticeably slower on loading)

A bit of advice though: get decent SSDs, the cheapest ones are not that much faster than HDDs in a lot of real-world scenarios and lifetime might become an issue (though I have never heard of someone who actually had an issue with that). Don't use your SSD to its full capacity if you can avoid it, as having 'spare room' helps with speed and endurance.

• Cool 1

[ICLAD]
[ICLAD]
Beta Testers
85 posts
13,040 battles

Haha! "Spinning drives."  We used to call those Wincester drives.

[WOLFD]
Members
420 posts
3,394 battles
2 hours ago, GreenAppel said:

Welcome to the game. 

1. As was previously stated, the loading times are probably related to the rig you're running.

2. If you hit a friendly, apologize and carry on. However, it's a firmly held belief in this game that you're responsible for your own ordinance, so if you hit a friendly, it's your fault. Also, if you're to the point that you're taking damage when hitting a friendly, you're a repeat offender. As you're a newer player, my guess would be you're torping friendlies due to torps lengthy travel time. Basically if there's a chance you might hit a friendly, hold fire and wait for a cleaner shot.

3. There is so much happening in  this game, the interface can absolutely be confusing. There are some fairly basic tutorials in game, and some great tips and tricks on youtube.

4. Premium pricing. This one is pretty subjective. If I have a million bucks, $150 on a pixel boat isn't much. Most people don't have a million bucks laying around. I'm not a daily player, so I'll usually pick up a premium weekend pass. When ships go on sail, some I feel are pretty reasonable. My rationale is if i can get 1 hour of enjoyment out of every dollar spent, that's a worthwhile investment. everyone is going to have a different perspective on what is reasonable.

Hope you stick with it. It's a fun game once you get past the admittedly steep initial learning curve.

[WOLF7]
Members
104 posts
16 minutes ago, Airacobra said:

Haha! "Spinning drives."  We used to call those Wincester drives.

I know those. 30-30 

[NUWES]
Members
2,991 posts
9,915 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

^Same here. They are cheap enough now there is no reason to deal with slower spinning drives. 

[A-D-F]
6,722 posts
13 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

I know those. 30-30 

Yep, the whopping 30meg removable modules as one unit.

It's crazy to think that right now, even though my gaming PC is pretty current and has a "drive" that is nothing but a huge chuck of blazing fast solid state memory, it also has what is basically the same technology from 1973.  It's worked for a long time, but it's slow and old.  I am glad to see it finally put out to pasture.

Most modern gaming computers no longer come with DVD or Blu-Ray drives, they just get all data input from the internet connection, but some still have mechanical technology that was created in the 70s.  Crazy.

• Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,734 posts
23,957 battles
2 hours ago, Burnsy said:

I have nearly 1K games in my MO for example.  I would most certainly say I got my money's worth out of it.

More faith in yourself than I have.

35 Randoms, 90 Co-op. I’ve had it since it’s been out.

Can’t really say I’ve ever seen why players like it so much, much less enough to be worth a thousand games.

Sign in to follow this