You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

The one good thing about necro threads...

12 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
18,850 posts
13,133 battles

...is how they show either (or sometimes both) of two things:

1) Just how much has changed, e.g. RTS carriers and their fighters, the old flooding mechanism, the old skill tree (when concealment expert was a FIVE point skill and you even had to pay a point for Situational Awareness which is now baked in).

2) Just how much has stayed the same, e.g. "Why am I bleeding credits in my [insert Tier 10 ship here]?"

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,168 posts
13,463 battles

Oh, boy......what it would be to play this game back in the early days:

• no RPF
  • no radar
  • minimal hydro
  • utterly flagrant RTS CV skill gap
  • 20km torp walls
  • unprotected matchmaking
  • only Yamato with overmatch ability
  • unique, non-symmetrical maps
  • un-neutered T1 ships

For better or for worse, the game has evolved drastically over time.  Just proves that you learn to adapt or get left behind.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,850 posts
13,133 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

un-neutered T1 ships

I miss my Baby Minotaur. :Smile_sad:

1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

utterly flagrant RTS CV skill gap

This, not so much. Facing T6 and T7 carriers in the Bogue near the end of RTS, when they had strafing and I did not (and I would have been utterly hamfisted trying to use it), was a royal PITA.

It's one of those things I'm glad the Rework got rid of.

[WOLFO]
Members
445 posts
3,680 battles

necro- nazi's can be just as bad as smoking nazi's. in my exp.

I don't get why folks sometimes get so bent outta shape over it.

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,443 posts
14,160 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Oh, boy......what it would be to play this game back in the early days:

• no RPF
  • no radar
  • minimal hydro
  • utterly flagrant RTS CV skill gap
  • 20km torp walls
  • unprotected matchmaking
  • only Yamato with overmatch ability
  • unique, non-symmetrical maps
  • un-neutered T1 ships

For better or for worse, the game has evolved drastically over time.  Just proves that you learn to adapt or get left behind.

Just find yourself on the opposing team from me while I am using Shimakaze or Yoshino and you may find out that 20km torpedo walls still exist... :cap_haloween:

Weekends and holidays I would switch my Shima torpedoes from 12km to 20km as I had learned how to effectively use 20km torps, and found they could help me compensate for bad teams that would also be vulnerable to them. Ever since March and the Quarantines I have pretty much permanently switched over to to 20km torpedoes. Plus factors like the improved torpedo speed module, and the 12km Radar getting added to more RU ships pretty much has ensured I will continue to use 20km torps. Oddly enough even with the 2.5km detection range of those IJN 20km torps I still often manage to deal more hits / damage than some of the short ranged / supposedly more effective torpedoes. Even nailed a Super Tester in a Hindenburg who was a skilled player with multiple 20km Torps in a wave of them. And if that’s possible then you can imagine what happens to less skilled players. Really think those toros are simply misunderstood from being falsely perceived as “easy mode” to being “terrible and useless” thanks to players too often misusing them.

Really hoping Kitakami will end up with 20km torpedoes instead of the current 15km, and the 20km would certainly be more usable and we need more ships to be armed with such torpedoes these days.

[REVY]
Members
2,133 posts
11,584 battles

you forgot to mention Open Water Stealth Firing.

I find myself reading them when they appear on the first page, then get confused as they are mentioning some long removed mechanic.

then I take note of the date.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,850 posts
13,133 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Just find yourself on the opposing team from me while I am using Shimakaze or Yoshino and you may find out that 20km torpedo walls still exist...

He may be referring to the fact that the Ocean map was once more prevalent than it is now. I trust you can fill in the rest...

5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Really think those toros are simply misunderstood from being falsely perceived as “easy mode” to being “terrible and useless” thanks to players too often misusing them.

A load of bull.

Sorry, great typo and couldn't resist. 

I think half the problem here is that the 20km Shima torps are the ones you get when you first step into Shima, and have to grind through them. It's a big step up in range, the biggest at any tier, and it's little wonder that they get misused. I'm only at Kagero right now, but I've tried Shima in PTS and the possibility of TK was a big inhibitor on me pulling the trigger sometimes.

[-K-]
Members
8,168 posts
13,463 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Just find yourself on the opposing team from me while I am using Shimakaze or Yoshino and you may find out that 20km torpedo walls still exist... :cap_haloween:

Weekends and holidays I would switch my Shima torpedoes from 12km to 20km as I had learned how to effectively use 20km torps, and found they could help me compensate for bad teams that would also be vulnerable to them. Ever since March and the Quarantines I have pretty much permanently switched over to to 20km torpedoes. Plus factors like the improved torpedo speed module, and the 12km Radar getting added to more RU ships pretty much has ensured I will continue to use 20km torps. Oddly enough even with the 2.5km detection range of those IJN 20km torps I still often manage to deal more hits / damage than some of the short ranged / supposedly more effective torpedoes. Even nailed a Super Tester in a Hindenburg who was a skilled player with multiple 20km Torps in a wave of them. And if that’s possible then you can imagine what happens to less skilled players. Really think those toros are simply misunderstood from being falsely perceived as “easy mode” to being “terrible and useless” thanks to players too often misusing them.

Really hoping Kitakami will end up with 20km torpedoes instead of the current 15km, and the 20km would certainly be more usable and we need more ships to be armed with such torpedoes these days.

You're making me want to give the 20km torps a go again.  I've typically stuck to the 12km ones.

Do the 20km torps have a faster or slower reload on them than the 12s?  Also, do you use torp acceleration on the commander?

[RKLES]
Members
12,443 posts
14,160 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

You're making me want to give the 20km torps a go again.  I've typically stuck to the 12km ones.

Do the 20km torps have a faster or slower reload on them than the 12s?  Also, do you use torp acceleration on the commander?

The 20km torps on Shimakaze reload the fastest, I use the full 20km range so no torp acceleration skill, you do want that new Torpedo module though as it grants added torpedo speed as well as other good bonuses.

You do want torpedo reload skill on the Commander, as well as Concealment, BFT for better gun reload and AA ( sounds crazy but have gunned down surprising DDs with Shima guns in a pinch), Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, and Survivability Expert.

Oh and very important you need to mount the special speed boost upgrade gotten with coal from the armory. Reason being is so often you are racing around after targets, evading enemy, ect. That you find yourself desiring higher speeds most of the battle and that costly module is well worth it on my torpedo boat DDs. 

[SALVO]
Members
3,380 posts
3,274 battles
2 hours ago, iamSamoth said:

just as bad as smoking nazi's. in my exp.

Cigarette smoke stinks, consider it as offensive as farting in your general direction... maybe is being nazi or french, but I find it better than having the stench on my hair and clothes for the remaining of the day.

• Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,850 posts
13,133 battles
10 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Cigarette smoke stinks, consider it as offensive as farting in your general direction... maybe is being nazi or french, but I find it better than having the stench on my hair and clothes for the remaining of the day.

In Australia, when I was but a young man, there was a quit-smoking campaign with the slogan "Kiss a non smoker, taste the difference." I later found out how true this was (having kissed a non-smoker FIRST).

[SALVO]
Members
3,380 posts
3,274 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In Australia, when I was but a young man, there was a quit-smoking campaign with the slogan "Kiss a non smoker, taste the difference." I later found out how true this was (having kissed a non-smoker FIRST).

LOL, I also tasted the difference. Good selling point for the campaign.