You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Merc_R_Us

Where does GG land on the o7-EZ spectrum of chat?

35 comments in this topic

[TBB]
Members
400 posts
3,629 battles

I make it a practice to type GG at the end of a match (except the less than 10 minute ones). A recent chat with another gamer however suggested that it may come off as being rude. Personally, I interpret it as shaking hands at the end of a soccer game; blowout or not, you "leave it on the field" so to say.

What do you think?

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[-IA-]
Beta Testers
175 posts
5,133 battles

So, let me ask you a question. If you shared a joke that you found immensely funny, but shared it with a bunch of people who found it disparaging would you continue to tell strangers that joke?

If you understand that GG could be taken as a disparaging statement then why do it? Especially if the game was a roflstomp or blowout?

Just keep in mind that what you say may not be taken the way it was meant especially in a chat message.

[KWF]
Members
4,186 posts
6,350 battles

I gg both teams after a long, well fought battle by both sides that was very close, regardless if we won or lost.

I won't say I will whine, but oftentimes seeing people going gg after a blowout on either side comes to me as unsportsmanlike.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

[_GAD_]
Members
47 posts
6,260 battles

It depends on how the match went.

If it was a complete blowout/roflstomp, than GG comes across very similar to EZ. If it was a good match, or a match that came down to the wire, GG comes across closer to o7.

• Cool 2

[TBB]
Members
400 posts
3,629 battles
15 minutes ago, CHBanger said:

So, let me ask you a question. If you shared a joke that you found immensely funny, but shared it with a bunch of people who found it disparaging would you continue to tell strangers that joke?

If you understand that GG could be taken as a disparaging statement then why do it? Especially if the game was a roflstomp or blowout?

Just keep in mind that what you say may not be taken the way it was meant especially in a chat message.

I have not found many people to take offence to it. Few and far between thus far.

• Cool 2

[WMD]
Members
1,440 posts
9,230 battles

No matter what you say someone out there will be offended, so GG to your heart's content. 

How someone interprets what you said in a case like this says more about them than it does you. 

Edited by VeatherVitch
  • Cool 4

Members
1,378 posts
4,450 battles

GG has several connotations depending on when and how it is used:

• GG to team once the game is wrapped up = good job to the team on securing the win
  • GG to team at some point early in the game when the red is way ahead on ships = we lost, might as well damage farm the rest of the match
  • GG to all from winning or loosing team on a close victory = good game
  • GG to all from winning team on a blow out victory = thanks for being terrible
  • GG to all from loosing team or to team on a blow out loss = Someone seeking a moral victory. This is the only one that I personally hate because it wasn't a good game, it was a blow out and your looking for a moral victory.
  • GG to all from loosing team early in the game when the red is way ahead on ships = we lost, I give up
  • Cool 2

[-BUI-]
Members
1,756 posts
5,164 battles

If we just got totally blown out, and you "gg", I'm gonna take it to mean "we kicked your butt, hahahaha" and not much else.  

I keep my "gg"s to team chat after a good win.

Edited by Zenn3k
  • Cool 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,450 posts
10,889 battles
5 minutes ago, SirPent13 said:

If it was a complete blowout/roflstomp, than GG comes across very similar to EZ. If it was a good match, or a match that came down to the wire, GG comes across closer to o7.

If it’s a close game I will GG all . 
if it’s a blow out loss I will GG game Red Team  . 
If it’s a blow out win I GG just our team . 
Solves everything . 

• Cool 2

[NUWES]
Members
3,002 posts
9,933 battles
8 minutes ago, SirPent13 said:

^I'm with you. I offer gg to both teams if it really was a good match. If we rolled over the red team I only gg discretely to my team since it was really only "good" for us. Obviously I don't gg at all if my team folded.  I know it is basically treated as the equivalent of shaking hands, but it doesn't go over well if everyone knows it was not a "good game." 

[TBB]
Members
400 posts
3,629 battles

I can see the point being made. Hm, I guess I played soccer too long lol. I'll change it up a bit on the blowouts then to just my team I guess.

[WMD]
Members
1,440 posts
9,230 battles
4 minutes ago, BossmanSlim said:

GG has several connotations depending on when and how it is used:

• GG to team once the game is wrapped up = good job to the team on securing the win
  • GG to team at some point early in the game when the red is way ahead on ships = we lost, might as well damage farm the rest of the match
  • GG to all from winning or loosing team on a close victory = good game
  • GG to all from winning team on a blow out victory = thanks for being terrible
  • GG to all from loosing team or to team on a blow out loss = Someone seeking a moral victory. This is the only one that I personally hate because it wasn't a good game, it was a blow out and your looking for a moral victory.
  • GG to all from loosing team early in the game when the red is way ahead on ships = we lost, I give up

Interesting interpretation... If I say something like that it's either GG close, or GG red, but I always interpreted GG from a losing player in a blowout as the player making fun of how bad they/their own team did. 

I wonder if your interpretation is based on other people's thoughts, or your own? In much the same way that I always interpret it as a joke, because that's what I would do. 

[BUOY]
Members
842 posts
13,345 battles

I'll throw out an 'o7 all' for a close fought down to the wire game regardless of who wins and/or in response to an honest GG from anyone.

Otherwise it's mostly comp'ing individual good play from either side i.e. Kraken/Confed/HC/DS and etc.

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
422 posts

It hugely depends on several factors, too many to list here: Was chat polite? Trash talking and gg do not go together. Was it a steam roll? Was there YOLO play or AFKs to deal with? How imbalanced were the teams? Sometimes a private message GG to one person you thought gave you a good fight is the best option. Most times, you know what kind of game it was and whether a gg at the end is appropriate.  

Cirran

Members
1,378 posts
4,450 battles
21 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

Interesting interpretation... If I say something like that it's either GG close, or GG red, but I always interpreted GG from a losing player in a blowout as the player making fun of how bad they/their own team did. 

I wonder if your interpretation is based on other people's thoughts, or your own? In much the same way that I always interpret it as a joke, because that's what I would do. 

All comments typed from someone else in chat have some level of bias based on who the user is. GG has all kinds of interpretations based on who says it and who receives it.

I can see your point about GG being sarcastic.

• Cool 1

[WOOK3]
Members
4,179 posts
3,208 battles

I've played a lot of games in my life, real and pixel, and this is the first one where "gg" is construed as being something other than good sportsmanship

Members
1,378 posts
4,450 battles
Just now, Wombatmetal said:

I've played a lot of games in my life, real and pixel, and this is the first one where "gg" is construed as being something other than good sportsmanship

Some level of this has to do with eSports using gg as a way for a player to concede the game. Strarcraft does this and I'm sure others do as well. It's not like the looser types "I concede. GG", they just type "gg".

[PVE]
Members
3,968 posts
16,850 battles
1 minute ago, Wombatmetal said:

I'm with you on this..... 

It's an attempt at being civil.  Kind of like saying "thanks for playing this game....  I appreciate your time."   Heck, in some COOP matches you can be the only real person and the rest are bots..... 

[SOFOP]
Members
2,363 posts
13,808 battles

In the US at least, in the mid 80's when I was growing up, you always, always ALWAYS shook the other teams hand and said Good Game (or something similar).  My coaches took it so far in that if you did not do this, or thought you'd be funny and say something rude during the hand shake line, you usually sat the next game.  We had teams that, in our view, cheated their way to a win, and we really wanted to walk off without it, but it just wasn't done.  I once shook the hand of, and said good game to, a guy that purposely hit me in the jewels so hard in a basketball game, that I couldn't see straight.

Therefore to me, "GG" means "hey, thanks for playing with us."

That said, in this game, the GG usually comes before the end, and since its online, disrespect is fairly common, so people tend to twist things around to fit their current emotional state.  If they just got stomped, they won't be able to see it as anything other than a taunt.

Therefore, I generally stick to GGs in team chat unless it was a really well fought battle on both sides.  If it was well fought, I'll usually add a bit to it for the good game.

Ultimately...you do you.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,569 posts
7,645 battles

It's just people being thin skinned, "GG" is just a way to thank people for the game no matter the outcome. 

When I played cricket/football in school you always shook hands and said good game out of respect win or loose. People just be salty.

[KSC]
Supertester
2,233 posts
13,375 battles

If the battle is close a GG is appropriate.  However the 12-2 blowout norm is not a call for a GG and when said by a winning team player comes across as gloating, when said by a losing team player comes across as sore loser quitting/sarcasm.

I understand that other people may not see it that way, so try not to take it that way in matches, however I won't pump out a GG unless it actually was a good game, such as those decided at the 19 min mark down to 1 point difference, or a single HP.   IE the ones that are exciting to watch right to the end.

Blowouts not so much, winning or losing, either side is not very fun, and feels like a 'GG' (ie just Game, not a good one).

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[LWA]
Members
1,094 posts
13,309 battles
3 minutes ago, Sinboto said:

It's just people being thin skinned, "GG" is just a way to thank people for the game no matter the outcome. 

When I played cricket/football in school you always shook hands and said good game out of respect win or loose. People just be salty.

How is it a good game when it is a blow out and one sided?  That is not a good game.....

A good game is where both teams play well and it is sad that a team has to lose.  NOT because a team played so terrible that not only did they deserved to lose, but have the need to go down a few tiers to continue learning how to play.

A game that is over in 5 mins due to a complete blow out is NOT a "GG".   

[-IA-]
Beta Testers
175 posts
5,133 battles
40 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

I have not found many people to take offence to it. Few and far between thus far.

I started with WOT where blowouts consistently happened and people on the winning side would always go GG, it was brought up in the WOT forums as it is here. And it has always been argued that it's not a dig, but it's not how it's meant it's how it's taken.

As this thread has shown it appears each game may have a different meaning, so just need to be aware of what it can mean here.

Just my thoughts.