You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
slokill_1

Odin 11.6 km 2ndaries

21 comments in this topic

[LEGIT]
Members
2,247 posts
30,714 battles

Oh my gosh!  11.6 km 2ndaries with those two triple turrets blasting away.  What a blast.  Pretty darn effective too.

You guys similarly impressed?  I've played a lot of games in my 2ndary spec Mass, and this Odin is awesome - just seems to shred - at least at tier 8.

Once I've played a few games in it I'll probably have a more sober view; but the first one with the 2ndary build is more fun than a MAGA hat at a BLM picnic.

• Cool 3
  • Haha 2
  • Meh 2

[WOLF8]
Members
7,118 posts
6,095 battles

IMO, she's a gud bote... and also a fun bote. :Smile_Default:

Definitely gobba use a secondary build, as she's practically built for one... lol. :Smile_teethhappy:

Unfortunately, some people get too worried about her chopped HP to notice her good bits... lel. :cap_book:

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,708 posts
19,631 battles

Using a Grosser hybrid 2ndary/tank build.

BFT, AFT, FP...no CE

Secondaries don't have the accuracy of Massachusetts,  but still very good.

I wonder if MS would be good, consideringvthe bad 2ndary angles

Members
235 posts
4,716 battles
25 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I wonder if MS would be good, consideringvthe bad 2ndary angles

I ran MS a few times in coop and I was unimpressed. Coming from a ship like Georgia, it felt like the secondaries were still fairly all over the place.

I'm currently considering either (1) AFT, FP, and CE or (2) MS, FP, and CE. I find myself having to close the distance with DDs (that or they rush me) and I think the secondary accuracy would be more meaningful at closer ranges.

May not be the fun way to build her, but I think it will allow me to stay alive longer

Edited by FullMetal_Inferno

Supertester
13 posts
4,937 battles

Odin can be pretty fun. Her secondaries are pretty good for what they are, being 128s and 150s, they don't need IFHE. I just wish there were more of them, hah.

Members
493 posts
4,656 battles

I really liked it at first, but it's not a good ship. The 52k hp is crippling. Yes you have armor, but CVs don't care about that. Very weak in CV or uptier.  

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,442 posts
18,543 battles
2 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

this Odin is awesome

It burns really well. (The lack of a deeper HP pool can be crippling against HE spewing cruisers; I wrecked one with a Shchors.)

[TIMT]
Members
207 posts
2,626 battles

Currently running AFT, BFT, FP  as the relevant skills and it works reasonably well.

However, I am thinking of switching over to AFT, BFT, CE (and then MS in the future) since the 11.6km secondaries can be combined with 12km concealment. This would result in just 0.4km range between detection and entering secondary gun range, making it quite dangerous to stumble into. Of course, sacrificing FP to get either stealth or MS is a huge downside but I think I will try it sometime.

[LWA]
Members
1,094 posts
13,309 battles

What good is range if they can't hit anything?  The accuracy of the secondary guns are very bad, and I am surprised they don't hit friendlies.   It is like those secondary guns are manned by drunken Monkees.....

monkees_lead.thumb.jpg.0025ddaf847af52bd1711365e8b3a155.jpg

• Funny 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,708 posts
19,631 battles
20 hours ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

I ran MS a few times in coop and I was unimpressed. Coming from a ship like Georgia, it felt like the secondaries were still fairly all over the place.

I'm currently considering either (1) AFT, FP, and CE or (2) MS, FP, and CE. I find myself having to close the distance with DDs (that or they rush me) and I think the secondary accuracy would be more meaningful at closer ranges.

May not be the fun way to build her, but I think it will allow me to stay alive longer

I run my GK GK captain. 

His only 4 point skills are FP & AFT.

Members
595 posts
5,440 battles

Without Manual Fire Control for Secondaries, the dispersion on Odin's secondaries at 11.6km is over 500m.  Good luck scoring hits.  With MFCS it gets down to around 205-210m IIRC.  Mass can get down quite a bit lower with MFCS.  So yes, Odin's secondaries are good if you really go full spec on them.  If you don't sink the 4 points into MFCS though its just a random light show that might score a few hits by accident.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to play Odin.  I am not yet convinced that a full secondary build is best, though it can be good for the memes.

Members
3,402 posts
12,321 battles

I play it in a secondary build. -IFHE +CE

It feels even more designed to be a secondary build compared to the Mass. With CE (12km), you can more easily advance and quickly get your secondaries on target. It has the Hydro and 6km torps for trying to rush other ships and DDs.

The small health pool though needs to played around, and suffers in T10 matches with heavy ships and high dpm cruisers. But again with the torps/hydro sometimes let's you get away with yolo or 2 kill trading.

Overall I consider it solid for it's tier, and is fun to play. I may just like secondary botes too much though.

mew.jpg

[FORM]
Members
1,426 posts
10,316 battles
On 7/27/2020 at 10:14 PM, slokill_1 said:

Oh my gosh!  11.6 km 2ndaries with those two triple turrets blasting away.  What a blast.  Pretty darn effective too.

The secondaries are very good against slow moving big targets, but far too reliant on RNG. I switched yesterday to Aiming Systems Mod in slot 3 (drops secondary range to 10.2,) so far I'm VERY happy with having made the change. One thing about the Odin, she's definitely no Massachusetts when it comes to scaring away DDs.

9 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Without Manual Fire Control for Secondaries, the dispersion on Odin's secondaries at 11.6km is over 500m.  Good luck scoring hits.  With MFCS it gets down to around 205-210m IIRC.  Mass can get down quite a bit lower with MFCS.  So yes, Odin's secondaries are good if you really go full spec on them.  If you don't sink the 4 points into MFCS though its just a random light show that might score a few hits by accident.

Yah, the MFCS is really essential to have any accuracy at all. 

On 7/28/2020 at 12:32 AM, exray0 said:

I really liked it at first, but it's not a good ship. The 52k hp is crippling. Yes you have armor, but CVs don't care about that. Very weak in CV or uptier.  

You have to be super careful with her exposing any broadside. I'm working hard to play her as only a supporting ship until late game when you can start to actually brawl. And if you're in a match with a lot of T9 & 10 BBs, watch out... those 52K HP can disappear super fast. Personally I really wish she had been setup with one less heal consumable, but 60K HP, but I'm pretty sure WG is not going to tweak her further at this point. 

Members
493 posts
4,656 battles
3 hours ago, TheArc said:

You have to be super careful with her exposing any broadside.

Definitely this, but AP bombers are a serious problem. The word is out that Odin has no HP,  and AP bombers love german BBs. 

[FORM]
Members
1,426 posts
10,316 battles
40 minutes ago, exray0 said:

Definitely this, but AP bombers are a serious problem. The word is out that Odin has no HP,  and AP bombers love german BBs. 

Yup. Actually because the HP is so low, pretty much anything is a serious problem. The plunging fire from higher tier BBs and the dakka-dakka flame throwers is equally awful. She's far too fragile for her to be a lot of fun in a regular match IMO, totally pales in comparison to the Mass - not just because of the HP, but also the Mass has the better repair party and much more accurate secondaries. I'm playing my Odin now a bit in ranked, once I hit 10, smaller teams means it is easier to keep her from getting severely focused. She's still no Mass, but the ability to really be a troublemaker at a critical time has a place. 

Members
403 posts
3,803 battles

as much as i love secondary builds a secondary build in this ship looks like a trap, having to take AFT+CE+MS leaves little to no points for survival skills on an enviroment saturated with fires, on top of this in order to get more than a few  secondary guns to shoot one needs to show some side wich is a big problem when we consider its low health and the rather weak horizontal armor that seems to be designed to arm AP rounds.

[MIBR]
[MIBR]
Members
895 posts
On 7/27/2020 at 11:14 PM, slokill_1 said:

You guys similarly impressed?  I've played a lot of games in my 2ndary spec Mass, and this Odin is awesome - just seems to shred - at least at tier 8.

Once I've played a few games in it I'll probably have a more sober view; but the first one with the 2ndary build is more fun than a MAGA hat at a BLM picnic.

I do play Odin with secondaries but my captain isnt 19 yet...

Also i like to play Massa and Tirpitz!

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,013 posts
16,156 battles

Odin was quite entertaining in ranked, especially with those torpedoes.

I run basic and advanced firing training but have traded manual secondaries for concealment expert. I also have Gunther Lutgens (sp) plus secondary modules and flag. Rarely a match goes by without killing some poor hapless captain with the secondaries, but to each their own. 

Imgflip - Create and Share Awesome Images