You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

How to avoid grinding?

42 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
4,577 posts
12,800 battles

Please note this is a question, not a tutorial.

Since 8.0 this game has, IMO, gone down hill. The constant event grinds are never ending. Add in the hostility over CV's and other issues I need a break but want to play for fun.

I got the Graf Spee from the dock yard grind and haven't noticed if I've completed another directive or not. So far so good.

But the German CV grind is sucking me into it. In the normal course of playing I have completed 3 sets of directive and just got the mission for the Weser.

I found myself grinding a directive today, getting frustrated that I was starting battles in a less than favorable spot to accomplish the mission goals especially when bottom tiered.

Even in a coop you do not want to start out facing rapid firing light cruisers 2 tiers higher when you're in a DD.

This is the way it seems to go.

How do you divorce yourself from the grind?

Well, I'm going to give it another try before dinner and see if I can just relax & have some fun.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,261 posts
23,482 battles

Have a set routine of ships you play on a daily basis, don't pay attention to anything except those ships and your daily missions and containers. The CV directives eventually just do themselves anyway.

• Cool 7

[KWF]
Members
4,191 posts
6,355 battles

Play a premium ship I enjoy (this time paired with Ranked), filled with FXP signals and/or camo if tech tree.

Most early access events will get you an early start up the tiers, so I should have enough FXP to skip a grind I don't want to.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,699 posts
14,007 battles
3 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Play a premium ship I enjoy (this time paired with Ranked), filled with FXP signals and/or camo if tech tree.

Most early access events will get you an early start up the tiers, so I should have enough FXP to skip a grind I don't want to.

This and on lines you are leveling play each ship for the daily bonus and then move on to another ship.

[CO-OP]
Members
809 posts
21,872 battles
27 minutes ago, Efros said:

Have a set routine of ships you play on a daily basis, don't pay attention to anything except those ships and your daily missions and containers. The CV directives eventually just do themselves anyway.

^^This. 

Depending upon the destroyer, killing light cruisers is not a real issue.  The thing you need to do is to kill the red destroyer that is spotting for them quickly.  Best to do this by smoking up and gunning it at range.  Once you kill the spotter, you just wait for the cruisers to show up.  Hopefully, you'll torp them before your allies kill them.

[SEA-7]
Members
135 posts
4,139 battles
43 minutes ago, Efros said:

Agreed. I do this, and then when my next tier is reachable (30-60k xp away) I’ll focus on the grind a bit more usually with the help of flags and banners which make it go in a handful of games.

Edited by Fifi_Macaffee

[SALVO]
Members
3,443 posts
3,305 battles
51 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

What's your general goal and objective for the game? that's the main question.

You play to achieve your goal, be it to grind up a ship line, achieve certain stats, just to have fun, etc. The event grind becomes something of a side effect of your regular play. Play mostly as you would play if there were no such event.

[PVE]
Members
502 posts
9,726 battles
57 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I have a few strategies:

- set port to show 'non-elite ships sorted by tier' and just start going through the list

- set port to show ships with first win bonus and starting at T10 and just go though them

- pick a class of ships and go through
- pick a tier and go through

- pick a ship with a captain close to earning a skill point and play it repeatedly

so many different things you can do other than 'grind mission/campaing'

• Cool 2

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,868 posts
12,501 battles

Look at what objectives you want to get done, look at what ships will be good at doing them, think outside the box, and mix stuff up the best you can.

Examples would be, Need torpedo hits? Most people would think use a DD's, toss a CV in the mix.

Need ribbons, Most people would think a cruiser or DD with rapid fire guns, toss a secondary battleship into the mix.

[TDRB]
Members
4,577 posts
12,800 battles
10 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

What's your general goal and objective for the game? that's the main question.

You play to achieve your goal, be it to grind up a ship line, achieve certain stats, just to have fun, etc. The event grind becomes something of a side effect of your regular play. Play mostly as you would play if there were no such event.

so many different things you can do other than 'grind mission/campaing'

My main goal is to have fun. Fun is subjective and has multiple elements. It also varies from day to day.

Yes, there is more than grinding.

Events have a way of pulling you in. You see all the missions you completed or progressed on at the end of each battle. Some rewards are nice & you naturally would like to get them.

[WOLFG]
Members
8,874 posts
7,368 battles
53 minutes ago, evanr1940 said:

I have a few strategies:

- set port

When I'm not interested in grinding an event, this is what I do.

Of course, I'm learning the Odin (an event I wanted to do), so I am completing the 6 mission events gradually anyways.

Since I don't like playing CVs, this is an event I can pass on.  Next one too.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
9,988 posts
16,784 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Since 8.0 this game has, IMO, gone down hill. The constant event grinds are never ending. Add in the hostility over CV's and other issues I need a break but want to play for fun.

I got the Graf Spee from the dock yard grind and haven't noticed if I've completed another directive or not. So far so good.

But the German CV grind is sucking me into it. In the normal course of playing I have completed 3 sets of directive and just got the mission for the Weser.

I found myself grinding a directive today, getting frustrated that I was starting battles in a less than favorable spot to accomplish the mission goals especially when bottom tiered.

Even in a coop you do not want to start out facing rapid firing light cruisers 2 tiers higher when you're in a DD.

Well, I'm going to give it another try before dinner and see if I can just relax & have some fun.

I reset the German DD line for the Research Bureau, so I am grinding German missions , dockyard missions and the research bureau at the same time and of course the daily missions. I've got a little more than a million HP of damage to go and six days to do it in. Dome how 4 grinds at once seems less of a grind.

[WOOK3]
Members
4,180 posts
3,208 battles
3 hours ago, kgh52 said:

How do you divorce yourself from the grind?.

I set goals, which is generally play the ships in the lines I am going up, and there's only a couple. And when I'm done with that, I play ships I enjoy. I used to chase the directives. But they're infinite and my time isn't. So I focus on making myself a better player and don't get sucked into the grind. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
1,682 posts
5,901 battles
3 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I am proud to say that besides the PEF (which I maintain was an accident) I have never completed a single event.  

Its simple never look at whatever missions or time gated junk gets popped up. I do the oil thingy for the clan on weekends.  That's it.  Then I just play whatever I feel like.   Mostly just jumping into divisions with buddies and play whatever tier is picked.

Most of the time now  I forget my daily 3 containers. 

Edited by eviltane

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
676 posts
8,609 battles

Play the events you want for the rewards you want, everything else is icing on the cake. Playing to max everything every event makes it a grind besides, most of the events are around early release so you can get those ships anytime if you have the patience to wait a month

Members
81 posts
1,987 battles

I have the ships I use to get things done and then I have the ships I enjoy. I finished as much of the German CV stuff as I could because I don't have Graf or the tier 8 tech tree ship (name escapes me). I basically used Bismarck for all of it until I got FDG to do the rest. 

[WOLFG]
Members
766 posts

First you have to decide if you want the rewards or not from the very beginning.  I saw an interesting video that shows how these games are designed to work you to death (and take your money in the process).  It referenced allot of different games, but WoW's Puerto Rico event was heavily showcased.  If you don't want the rewards follow the advice in these posts and play for fun.  

If you want the reward, just know it's not going to be that much fun and require allot of effort.  Looking ahead helps allot.  Decide what will be the easiest way to get the reward and what ships you have to do it.   Sometimes just doing that will make you decide it's not worth  the effort.  

Basically, the trick is not to get 'sucked into it.'  Decide from the start whether you want to bother or not. 

[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
232 posts
6,919 battles

I have about a hundred ships in my port of all tiers. and 17 tier 10 ships. The more i play I've found the easier it is to get more tier 10 ships. the same is true for 19 point captains as well. I don't really regulate what I play, but statistically tier 10 is my most played. Point is, aside from events like Benham, Puerto Rico, and Odin most things in this game just do themselves as long as you play it regularly.

[WOLFG]
Members
766 posts
6 minutes ago, Thanos_Snap_ said:

I have about a hundred ships in my port of all tiers. and 17 tier 10 ships. The more i play I've found the easier it is to get more tier 10 ships. the same is true for 19 point captains as well. I don't really regulate what I play, but statistically tier 10 is my most played. Point is, aside from events like Benham, Puerto Rico, and Odin most things in this game just do themselves as long as you play it regularly.

This used to be true, but game designers are consciously moving away from it in order to suck up more of your time and money.  You used to be able to finish things using one type of ship.  You will notice with the Odin it required you to play at least two heavy directives with different types of ships.  Puerto Rico was a disaster, so they pulled it back some for Odin, but not enough to where you can just play and complete it.

[PVE]
Members
5,239 posts
22,432 battles
3 hours ago, kgh52 said:

A good lawyer?:Smile_trollface:

But seriously folks...I have no answer to the question...but I can tell you how you can get sucked into them when not even trying to.

If you're anything like me (& for your sake I hope you're not) it's not the grind that actually gets you...it's the FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)...& I'm not even talking about the rewards.

We all know the rewards will come anyway just from playing...but to have the most epic battle of your whole WoWS career wasted on finishing a measly last few points of a directive when it could be used to either finish the next whole directive or take a big chunk out of it...UUGH.

I could just ignore the directives (other than taking a peek at the start of a gaming session to see if there's any odd thing I might need to do other than the usual line grinds I'm doing anyway) & they would take care of themselves...but if I feel like I am getting close to completing 1 I have to check & see if I can finish it off for cheap in a quick 4-6 minute low tier co-op instead of a whole 20 minute random battle (ok...who am I kidding? 12-14 minutes is usually the most I last before yoloing...but that's still longer than 4-5 minutes...& that 12-14 minutes could end up being epic. OK...so it hasn't happened yet...but it could... someday...maybe).

If you do that yourself it only gets compounded when there are multiple different missions going at once & soon instead of just doing your thing you are constantly checking to see if you are close to finishing "anything" all the time.

That is what "marries" you to the grind...as for a divorce...no idea.

[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
232 posts
6,919 battles

I think, for me, at least. I'm at the point where I just don't care as much as I used to. I have more than enough premiums and tier 10 ships to keep myself entertained. Just check my signature. I might keep tabs on new ships so I know how to play against them, but I will never put in the effort that they expect me to for these events. I've just stopped caring after Puerto Rico, which I did not get BTW. 
I can imagine this sucks for newer players, but hey that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess. I've grinded hard in this game for 3 years. I've built my empire, now I can just kick back and play how I want to on my terms. Maybe if WG had a more sustainable business model I would continue whaling, but sadly I've lost all motivation to whale further in this game other than premium time and permacamos, which imo are the best things you can buy in this game.

[TDRB]
Members
4,577 posts
12,800 battles

it's the FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)

I can see where that is an issue with some people, I don't mind missing out. I do not like post rework CV play so I don't mind not having a CV but I have picked up 5 in events since the rework. Now I will get the 6th free CV since the rework, go figure. I do wish they were ships I enjoy playing.

The Odin was too much of a grind to start with so I wasn't interested.

2 hours ago, eviltane said:

I am proud to say that besides the PEF (which I maintain was an accident) I have never completed a single event.  

Its simple never look at whatever missions or time gated junk gets popped up. I do the oil thingy for the clan on weekends.  That's it.  Then I just play whatever I feel like.   Mostly just jumping into divisions with buddies and play whatever tier is picked.

Most of the time now  I forget my daily 3 containers. 

I do enjoy teaming up with my son for a few battles. But he is married and has obligations so we 2 or 3 times a week is about all we can do in the summer months. It is easier to stay indoors in the winter months of the northern plains so we do get a couple of more playing dates in.

[LEGIT]
Members
2,253 posts
30,769 battles

I'm over the grind.  The first grind ship I opted out of was the Benham.  I didn't like the game mode and don't play DD's that much.

It was kinda liberating.  Now I just play as I want to.  Often I end up playing ships I wouldn't usually play, but that's a nice change of pace somtimes.

Just choose not to participate if you don't want to. It's OK.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,956 posts
13,161 battles
20 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Doing as much of a directive set as I can in co-op helps immensely. Life is fun when you can take out something like the Kagero, with almost no AA, and wreck face with it in the face of almost constant air attacks because the bot CV AI is worse than a two-year-old. Or take an Akizuki and be PRAYING for there to be a CV in the MM because bot AI derps to its doom. 

For example, last night I cleared out the 500 hits and 45 plane kills tasks almost entirely in co-op. Tonight I'm probably going to go back to co-op for the rest of the ship kills I need. After that it's Randoms for the credits, picking ships I'm grinding toward the next tier - specifically Kagero, because I finally decided I need Shimakaze in my life*; Colorado, to have her ready for the BB split sooner rather than later; Ignis Purgatio to get the most out of her bonus missions which expire next week. Fingers crossed I can get all the crates open in time to either unlock the August and play her camo mission before it goes away, or know for sure it isn't going to happen. 

TLDR: I find ways to make the grind further MY agenda. Why should I only serve it, when it can also serve me?

* = Strictly speaking I don't, but my kids decided last Halloween that the Anglerfish camo - or more specifically the cute little tentacle monster dangling from the bow in its cage - was just the CUTEST THING EVER; and upon finding that the camo is actually permanently available in game, I am sort-of obligated to obtain it for their amusement. I want to hear my daughter's squeal of delight and see the expression on her face when she sees it parked in port. :Smile_great:  

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1