wolfkind252

Freaking HOT

33 comments in this topic

[NEMO]
Members
452 posts
1,310 battles

how many of you have ever driven a open cab combine at 27 deg? I JUST got done with the last 50 acres, dad looked at me and said "go inside, before you melt away"

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,795 posts
4,606 battles

F or C ? 

or K?

• Cool 1

[STW-N]
Beta Testers
196 posts
25,192 battles
21 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

how many of you have ever driven a open cab combine at 27 deg? I JUST got done with the last 50 acres, dad looked at me and said "go inside, before you melt away"

Come do this in middle in the scorching humid summer. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,657 posts
13,997 battles
16 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

F or C ? 

or K?

Has to be Celsius because 27 is never hot in Fahrenheit

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,795 posts
4,606 battles

And why would one be using a combine in freezing weather?  It's already too late.

[RKLES]
Members
12,439 posts
14,145 battles
45 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

Lol you should try 48.9° C if you think you were melting at 27° C, but I agree 27° C is hot by my preferences, but unfortunately it can reach 48.9° C where I am and then add in 90% to 100% humidity on top of that... Yeah I stay in Air conditioning a lot lol. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,434 posts
18,538 battles

It has recently hit 122 degrees Fahrenheit here, for you Celsius people that's 50; yes, 50. Don't tell me about hot.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,294 posts
14,494 battles

It stays a average 35ish C pretty much July, August, first part of September here with humidity varying 50% - 70%. When the humidity dips the actual temperature moves up to 37C - 40C

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,294 posts
14,494 battles
22 minutes ago, Umikami said:

It has recently hit 122 degrees Fahrenheit here, for you Celsius people that's 50; yes, 50. Don't tell me about hot.

You close to Death Valley? Huma AZ?

[V_V_V]
Members
412 posts
13,425 battles
1 hour ago, wolfkind252 said:

No, but I've pulled and stacked tons of alfalfa bales by hand from the field at 110F.  That's when my Dad offered me my first beer.

Edited by Charon2018
add text
  • Cool 1

[V_V_V]
Members
412 posts
13,425 battles
1 hour ago, hard_calibers said:

No thanks, I've seen that in NC.  Right up there with sugar cane.

Edited by Charon2018
add text

[SPTR]
Members
27,094 posts
15,846 battles

27°C is decently hot, but combined with high humidity you're in for some roasting from the sun.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,434 posts
18,538 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

You close to Death Valley? Huma AZ?

Phoenix, nuthin' but July in Phoenix.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,294 posts
14,494 battles
3 minutes ago, Umikami said:

That explains it 👍

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,627 posts
44 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Hundred days of one hundred as I so fondly remember... I used to go out near Superstition Mountain area on my Suzuki DR350M... rode out there, near that lake with the restaurant in the actual desert, it was 124F. There I was for about two hours, riding up and down the desert hills. At that temperature, I went through about 90 ounces of water in those two hours. 

Man I loved the deserts. Absolutely loved them. 

I will say though, I know about baling hay too... I did it once, just once, on the hottest friggin' day I can remember in the midwest. Oh my gawd it will kill you. My body, at that young age, just didn't have the musckles needed! 

And yeah, almost forgot... every summer until I graduated high school I cut my grandparent's yard, approximately three acres. I started in the 60's with a push reel mower. Mid 60's got a square lawnmower with 20" hulk of a push mower powered by a gas engine. Honestly, the push mower was easier to cut with. 

Then in the latter 60's, grandpa must have felt bad for me... he bought a brand new Wheelhorse riding lawnmower. It was the best! Well enough memory lane stuff. 

So yeah I have but haven't but completely understand. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[NEMO]
Members
452 posts
1,310 battles
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

F or C ? 

or K?

C

3 hours ago, hard_calibers said:

No

3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

And why would one be using a combine in freezing weather?  It's already too late.

You'd be surprised, two years ago it snowed before the last cutting , out migrant workers were freezing when I took coffee out to them 

2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol you should try 48.9° C if you think you were melting at 27° C, but I agree 27° C is hot by my preferences, but unfortunately it can reach 48.9° C where I am and then add in 90% to 100% humidity on top of that... Yeah I stay in Air conditioning a lot lol. 

where are you the outback in Australia?

Edited by wolfkind252
I tried earlier to reply but it never posted

[WOLFG]
Members
8,830 posts
7,308 battles

Worst I can remember was spending a day in a utility tunnel on a college campus witnessing a high-pot test on a repaired cable splice.

It was 120 degrees.  I drank water all day and still felt like a piece of beef jerky.

[RKLES]
Members
12,439 posts
14,145 battles
50 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

C

No

You'd be surprised, two years ago it snowed before the last cutting , out migrant workers were freezing when I took coffee out to them 

where are you the outback in Australia?

No, but some parts of the United States can get hot. Thankfully not quite that hot yet this summer, but still time before the Autumn hits for it to reach the 120° F temps like it does in some Summers.

[RKLES]
Members
12,439 posts
14,145 battles
41 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Worst I can remember was spending a day in a utility tunnel on a college campus witnessing a high-pot test on a repaired cable splice.

It was 120 degrees.  I drank water all day and still felt like a piece of beef jerky.

If your in that kind of heat you need to drink Gatorade like athletes do. Reason being is if your sweating enough you not only need non caffeinated fluids, but also electrolytes. If your electrolytes get too out of wack from enough sweat being produced too rapidly for too long then your heart can get into problems. Have had medical staff inform myself and others of this info, otherwise I likely would not have know. And likely is why people can still end up in server trouble even if they were drinking water because in some cases water alone will not be enough to help you.

[WOLFG]
Members
8,830 posts
7,308 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If your in that kind of heat you need to drink Gatorade like athletes do. Reason being is if your sweating enough you not only need non caffeinated fluids, but also electrolytes. If your electrolytes get too out of wack from enough sweat being produced too rapidly for too long then your heart can get into problems. Have had medical staff inform myself and others of this info, otherwise I likely would not have know. And likely is why people can still end up in server trouble even if they were drinking water because in some cases water alone will not be enough to help you.

This was 25 years ago.  People didn't think about that as much.    Now days you wouldn't let anyone do what I did.  It would have been guys on shifts.  And that is a good thing.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,434 posts
18,538 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Hundred days of one hundred as I so fondly remember... I used to go out near Superstition Mountain area on my Suzuki DR350M... rode out there, near that lake with the restaurant in the actual desert, it was 124F. There I was for about two hours, riding up and down the desert hills. At that temperature, I went through about 90 ounces of water in those two hours. 

Man I loved the deserts. Absolutely loved them. 

I will say though, I know about baling hay too... I did it once, just once, on the hottest friggin' day I can remember in the midwest. Oh my gawd it will kill you. My body, at that young age, just didn't have the musckles needed! 

And yeah, almost forgot... every summer until I graduated high school I cut my grandparent's yard, approximately three acres. I started in the 60's with a push reel mower. Mid 60's got a square lawnmower with 20" hulk of a push mower powered by a gas engine. Honestly, the push mower was easier to cut with. 

Then in the latter 60's, grandpa must have felt bad for me... he bought a brand new Wheelhorse riding lawnmower. It was the best! Well enough memory lane stuff. 

So yeah I have but haven't but completely understand. 

The desert is one of those places you either love or hate. I love it. Many don't.

Members
95 posts
9,464 battles

27C is a nice day here in Australia. Get's a lot hotter in summer, usually a few days over 40 at the end of summer.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,627 posts
7 hours ago, Umikami said:

The desert is one of those places you either love or hate. I love it. Many don't.

I believe the smallest blooming flowers I've ever personally witnessed I found in the desert. They were so small, they were barely visible without a hand lens, seriously. I'm with you - absolutely. Saw a few diamondbacks out there too... five to six footers. 

Deserts are just amazing. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,434 posts
18,538 battles
28 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Saw a few diamondbacks out there too

The only Diamondbacks I want to see are the ones I watch from behind the third base dugout, and it looks like I'll be waiting another year to get to see them! The big wildlife thing here right now is birds, especially night birds like owls. People aren't eating out in parks and rec areas so the birds have moved into residential areas and are swooping on pets out in yards at night. Cats and small dogs beware! Plus a lot of suburbs have seen coyotes coming into their cities for the same reasons. Places like North Scottsdale and Tonopah and Buckeye and Gilbert. (and yes, Fountain Hills!) And, of course, everyone complained about no spring training this year; the cities lost a ton of bucks from no fans and no players and no business. And now it looks like I was right about there being no football season this year. I want to go back to my childhood, when all I worried about was measles and polio and getting under my school desk when the Russians in Cuba nuked us.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,627 posts

The coyotes are very smart... one will move into the suburbs as a decoy. Its goal is getting a dog to chase it. The coyote will lead it to where the coyote's pack is waiting. They pounce, dine then repeat. The little dog/cat business has always been around but probably not as much, like you say, due to the decrease in human activity at night. 

Loss of spring training was probably like a punch to the gut for many out there. I got some decent DBack tickets early on when they first started out. I admit I was bedazzled by the hot tubs... I liked the ballpark. Hockey though, I thought that was weird for a desert city.

I think everyone wants to go back before all this started. And we were closer to being nuked than most folks can comprehend.