You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

How to Explain WOWS to Friends

35 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,867 posts

Here's how I do it.

It's like chess, bro.  The only diff is that each piece on the board is controlled by a different person and everybody moves at the same time.

:cap_haloween:

• Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,732 posts

Or, it's an online first person shooter about warships.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,222 posts
15,375 battles

I say well... have you played Call of duty?

Yes. OK

Well maybe you have heard of Battelfield? 

So Battelfield is Call of duty in slow motion. 

Have you heard of World of Tanks?

So World of Tanks is Battelfield but in slow motion with tanks instead of men.

World of Warships is World of Tanks in slow motion with Ships instead of Tanks.

So World of Warships is Call of duty for old slow people... or The thinking mans Call of duty where superior tactics does not trump superior strategy. 

Cheers.

bob barker fighting GIF

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 3

[A-D-F]
Members
2,067 posts
7,504 battles
2 minutes ago, paradat said:

So World of Warships is Call of duty for old slow people.

getoffmyinternet.thumb.jpg.e00c3d38f243fd8e43efdc2068a7b728.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Haha 3

[PVE]
Members
3,972 posts
16,899 battles

I actually demo'd the game at the Student eSports club locally.  Zero interest over two years at the University.   The youngsters aren't interested.  They gave the game a C- on both votes.  Or, as one student put it:  "Why would I play a game based on history no one knows or cares about....?"   I took the hint.

"There you have it Gentlemen, what more evidence do you need...... Captains you are the victims !  Stay around and they'll see you bleed !"  Sorry, I couldn't resist a musical moment and it really was the first thought I had after reading your OP....

Even my military friends took a look and said:  "That's just pocking World of Tanks on water.......  No thanks..." 

I did try and the only person I know that is interested was my 8 year old grand son;  who is now safely back to playing Blitz......

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,222 posts
15,375 battles
1 minute ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

This is the only online game I have ever played and most likely will play.

sad face GIF

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,222 posts
15,375 battles
3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Why would I play a game based on history no one knows or cares about....?"

Scared Ron Burgundy GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

[BROOK]
Members
1,867 posts
9 minutes ago, paradat said:

Scared Ron Burgundy GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Me too.

Over the past 40 years college has morphed from a place of learning to a place of indoctrination. The rioting today is proof that the cows have finally come home to roost.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
86 posts
964 battles
15 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I actually demo'd the game at the Student eSports club locally.  Zero interest over two years at the University.   The youngsters aren't interested.  They gave the game a C- on both votes.  Or, as one student put it:  "Why would I play a game based on history no one knows or cares about....?"   I took the hint.

"There you have it Gentlemen, what more evidence do you need...... Captains you are the victims !  Stay around and they'll see you bleed !"  Sorry, I couldn't resist a musical moment and it really was the first thought I had after reading your OP....

Even my military friends took a look and said:  "That's just pocking World of Tanks on water.......  No thanks..." 

I did try and the only person I know that is interested was my 8 year old grand son;  who is now safely back to playing Blitz......

Even my coworkers who clock in roughly 40 hours of games per week aren't remotely interested in this game. They like the graphics, but the action is too slow, especially in anything non-DD. I was able to get a few school friends to jump on, and they quickly fell off because lower tier gameplay is also slow for anything other than DDs. My friends who only play single player sims couldn't be bothered. Why play a game that's asymmetrically balanced with RNG teammates when they can game against consistent AI and game mechanics? In the competitive shooter world of Valorat/CSGO, COD, Apex, and fornite (ugh), this game is just too slow.  The only friend I have to play this with is a Navy Vet, and he likes it because he can go AFK in a game if real life jumps in the way...  

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,732 posts
3 minutes ago, Roken1 said:

Why play a game that's asymmetrically balanced with RNG teammates when they can game against consistent AI and game mechanics?

That's what coop does.

Some WoWs players never set foot in a random match.  I play all the modes but I can understand why some choose that.

[BROOK]
Members
1,867 posts

I have a love/hate relationship with this game. 

I love having good games where I made a tangible contribution even if we lose.

I hate having games where it's a blowout and over in <10 minutes.  There are far too many games like this and MM needs to be fixed so that it takes into account skill levels.

Subs in Randoms may kill my interest for good.

Why not offer Random ASW?   Then you could have subs, DDs, and ASW CVs duking it out?

[LANCE]
Members
748 posts
5,621 battles

I tried to get a mate I used to be in a clan in WoT to play .... he played for about 2 weeks and said it’s like playing against 12 arty on the sea.

Not for everyone I guess!

[RCNW3]
Beta Testers
3,066 posts
25,311 battles
12 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Me too.

Over the past 40 years college has morphed from a place of learning to a place of indoctrination. The rioting today is proof that the cows have finally come home to roost.

I agree with you 100% Joey history is known to repeat itself . Back in 1971 my ship a Destroyer part of a squadron including  a Sub  toured around South America  stopping off in many country's and the last stop was  before heading back to the states was Caracas Venezuela.   Back then that was the only country I felt like I was back in the United Sates....................Look at that country now 4 million left the country due to communism where the average person there has lost 40 lbs due to lack of food  and to top it off there's a lack of toilet paper and only dirty water to drink . These young American generation better be careful for the changes they want...........................

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
1,378 posts
4,452 battles
1 hour ago, paradat said:

I say well... have you played Call of duty?

Yes. OK

Well maybe you have heard of Battelfield? 

So Battelfield is Call of duty in slow motion. 

Have you heard of World of Tanks?

So World of Tanks is Battelfield but in slow motion with tanks instead of men.

World of Warships is World of Tanks in slow motion with Ships instead of Tanks.

So World of Warships is Call of duty for old slow people... or The thinking mans Call of duty where superior tactics do not trump superior strategy. 

Cheers.

This but I think you mean superior twitch reflexes do not trump superior tactics.

Strategy = decisions made prior to entering the game

Tactics = decisions made within the game

Strategy is overarching plan or set of goals. Changing strategies is like trying to turn around an aircraft carrier—it can be done but not quickly. Tactics are the specific actions or steps you undertake to accomplish your strategy

Edited by BossmanSlim

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,222 posts
15,375 battles
4 minutes ago, BossmanSlim said:

This but I think you mean superior twitch reflects do not trump superior tactics.

Yes, that is what I meant was being grossly simplistic. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,476 posts
14,190 battles
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Here's how I do it.

It's like chess, bro.  The only diff is that each piece on the board is controlled by a different person and everybody moves at the same time.

And the pieces all argue with each other...

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,691 posts
14,007 battles

It is a third person shooter with a veneer of history that uses ships.

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
891 posts

It is a Naval themed action RPG where players complain about the evolution of carriers.

Fixed it for ya...  😏

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TWE]
Beta Testers
116 posts
1,180 battles

It's a 3rd person, freemiun MOBA with warships. You've played/ seen/ heard of World of Tanks? Yeah, same thing just ships and slower.

[WOLF7]
Members
108 posts
4,297 battles

It's a first person shooter but you have to actually think before you shoot.

Edited by Admiral_Bingo

[WOLF7]
Members
108 posts
4,297 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Here's how I do it.

Pawns = people who suicide into caps at the beginning of the game

Bishops and Knights = cruisers and dds that hop all over the map

Castle and Queen = the annoying CV that can easily zoom all over the map

King = The battleships that camp in the back and come out with full hp at the end of the game

[IROCZ]
Members
237 posts
18,655 battles

love this post !!

so funny, and no i dont FEEL old  !!