Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BrunoSchezer

Cdr. Osvaldo J. González´s 1943 Battleship Design: A.R.A. Saavedra

8 comments in this topic

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
1,036 posts
8,126 battles

Well guys, just coming here to share with you this battleship proposal (a hard work to model, but everything counts if can be usefull), you can see the complete info in the image, but I will add the text anyway to your confort. Hope you like this and hope this could be usefull in the near future to have a spot into the game.

Info:

Spoiler

In 1941, the government of Argentina released a law to acquire the funds to purchase new naval units to put at service of the ARA (Armada de la República Argentina). One part of the funds was to be used in the construction of a new battleship class to serve alongside the old Rivadavia-class battleships, Rivadavia and Moreno. One Commander from the navy called Osvaldo J. González, in 1943, proposed the characteristics the new battleship class needed in that time to serve in the Argentine Navy. He proposed a battleship based on the Italian Littorio-class battleships. She would need to carry nine main guns of 381mm on a 3x3 setup, a secondary armament of 12 pieces of 152mm in a 2x6 setup, an anti-aircraft system of 12x89mm in dual mounts, 16 of 37mm in quad mounts and 16 of 12.7mm in quad mounts. All of this in a hull of 238 meters x 31 meters, with an armor belt of 356mm and a deck of 200mm (150mm+50mm), while the armor of the main turrets was to be 381mm. The propulsion should be enough to be capable of navigate at a speed of 30 knots and carry a central hangar alongside two catapults to launch three aircrafts, with a standard displacement of 37000 tons. She most likely was planned to be built in an Italian shipyard, like the heavy cruisers of the Veinticinco de Mayo-class was built in Livorno by OTO, but due to the current war at that time in Europe and the consequent cancelation of the plan, she was not built.

4W5CuIp.jpg

Many thanks to @Talleyrand and @COLDOWN for the info about the ship. Lets hope someday we can play a few matchs with this battleship!

• Cool 5

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,328 posts
5,233 battles

I think it would be a good addition to the game. 

(as long as she doesn't have Roma's bad guns)

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,812 posts
13,108 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Come on, Venture, you KNOW what would happen! :Smile_veryhappy:

On the other hand, if you fixed that issue you would provide Pan-Am with a good option at Tier 8+ (necessary for permanent campaigns) and potentially create one of the game's more desirable premiums.

Once you had a good Tier 5-plus BB in the lineup, it wouldn't matter so much if the other Pan-Am dreadnoughts (the ones built in steel) weren't suitable for a tier higher than 4. That being said, Alm. Latorre is probably good enough for Tier 5, and if you wanted to do a repeat of the Boise thing you could cut and paste her into the UK RN as the HMS Canada.  Among other things, she'd be a Pan-Am ship that wasn't Argentinian and then one could look at finding a good choice from the Brazilian Navy to round out representation of the South American "Big Three" (Argentina, Brazil, Chile).

Let's just make sure that demounting the camo doesn't leave her with a "Roma" nameplate on her rear end as has already been observed with the AL Littorio!

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,566 posts
17,903 battles

Looks like a decent T8.

• Cool 1

[MIBR]
[MIBR]
Members
883 posts
2 hours ago, BrunoSchezer said:

Well guys, just coming here to share with you this battleship proposal (a hard work to model, but everything counts if can be usefull), you can see the complete info in the image, but I will add the text anyway to your confort. Hope you like this and hope this could be usefull in the near future to have a spot into the game.

Info:

Reveal hidden contents

In 1941, the government of Argentina released a law to acquire the funds to purchase new naval units to put at service of the ARA (Armada de la República Argentina). One part of the funds was to be used in the construction of a new battleship class to serve alongside the old Rivadavia-class battleships, Rivadavia and Moreno. One Commander from the navy called Osvaldo J. González, in 1943, proposed the characteristics the new battleship class needed in that time to serve in the Argentine Navy. He proposed a battleship based on the Italian Littorio-class battleships, on which she would need to carry nine main guns of 381mm on a 3x3 setup, a secondary armament of 12 pieces of 152mm in a 2x6 setup, an anti-aircraft system of 12x89mm in dual mounts, 16 of 37mm in quad mounts and 16 of 12.7mm in quad mounts. All of this in a hull of 238 meters x 31 meters, with an armor belt of 356mm and a deck of 200mm (150mm+50mm), while the armor of the main turrets was to be 381mm. The propulsion should be enough to be capable of navigate at a speed of 30 knots and carry a central hangar alongside two catapults to launch three aircrafts, with a standard displacement of 37000 tons. She most likely was planned to be built in an Italian shipyard, like the heavy cruisers of the Veinticinco de Mayo-class was built in Livorno by OTO, but due to the current war at that time in Europe and the consequent cancelation of the plan, she was not built.

4W5CuIp.jpg

Many thanks to @Talleyrand and @COLDOWN for the info about the ship. Lets hope someday we can play a few matchs with this battleship!

I would like to play with an argentinian armada ship :cap_horn:

• Cool 1

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
1,036 posts
8,126 battles
10 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

I think it would be a good addition to the game. 

Sure, everything could happen and if she end with better guns, good for us, it will be more fun (But I enjoy my Roma and I will enjoy her sisters in the tech tree and this one anyway) cause I really love these Italian ships.

10 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Come on, Venture, you KNOW what would happen! :Smile_veryhappy:

On the other hand, if you fixed that issue you would provide Pan-Am with a good option at Tier 8+ (necessary for permanent campaigns) and potentially create one of the game's more desirable premiums.

Once you had a good Tier 5-plus BB in the lineup, it wouldn't matter so much if the other Pan-Am dreadnoughts (the ones built in steel) weren't suitable for a tier higher than 4. That being said, Alm. Latorre is probably good enough for Tier 5, and if you wanted to do a repeat of the Boise thing you could cut and paste her into the UK RN as the HMS Canada.  Among other things, she'd be a Pan-Am ship that wasn't Argentinian and then one could look at finding a good choice from the Brazilian Navy to round out representation of the South American "Big Three" (Argentina, Brazil, Chile).

Let's just make sure that demounting the camo doesn't leave her with a "Roma" nameplate on her rear end as has already been observed with the AL Littorio!

Well, the base exist, we only need to carry a test to see what projects could finish the line, at least in the BB part, the others, well, we have a lot to use. This BB is a solid adition, and I for sure hope it will be usefull.

7 hours ago, Lert said:

Looks like a decent T8.

Many thanks sir!:cap_like:

7 hours ago, Felipe_1982 said:

I would like to play with an argentinian armada ship :cap_horn:

Oh yes, I dream with that too, all the time. :fish_happy:

3 hours ago, Lord_Magus said:

I presume the name you chose refers to Cornelio Saavedra?

When I was trying to come up with my ideas of a Pan-American BB line (still a WIP) I had named this battleship Veinticinco de Mayo. But I'd forgotten that there was already a ship by that name in service at the time this would've been built.

Indeed, that was the name used in this proposal. Also, there exist two ships with the name Veinticinco de Mayo: the Heavy Cruiser Veinticinco de Mayo you linked and the VdM CV of the Colossus-class.

[VVV]
Members
2,657 posts
11 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Brazil went through a huge variety of designs before choosing Rio de Janeiro (later to become HMS Agincourt) and again before selecting a rather Queen Elizabeth-like design for Riachuelo (cancelled within a month of her planned laying down because of the outbreak of WW1). Riachuelo would make a solid T6, and there's a variety of choices among the other offered designs that with a decent refit would work as a T7, as seen here.

My personal favorite just because of its quirkiness (and for having at one point been the favored design to become Rio de Janeiro, before Brazil opted for something cheaper) is Armstrong Design 686. 4x2 406mm guns and (here's the quirky part) 3x2 240mm secondaries. We even have stats for both guns.

The other top contender for T7 would be Armstrong 788, basically Riachuelo except with a 5th 381mm twin turret. The 381mm guns for Riachuelo and Armstrong 788 are also a known quantity, since Spain later bought the same design for coastal artillery.

So that just leaves T9-10 to fill. Those would unfortunately have to be completely made-up. But WG inventions to fill T9-10 is hardly new. T3-8 would at this point give us 3 Brazilian (T3 Minas Geraes, T6 Riachuelo and whichever T7 is chosen), 2 Argentine (T4 Rivadavia and T8 Saavedra) and 1 Chilean BB (T5 Almirante Latorre), at least one of the top tier would need to be Chilean to keep things spread out. Chile exclusively bought from British shipyards so I'd favor a T10 that's heavily based on N3, but with a stretched hull so as to not be as slow and have a bigger HP pool.

As for the T9, that'd either be Argentine or Chilean (Brazil's already represented enough by filling 3 tiers out of 8). And I'm not sure what would be the best idea to use there. That's as far as I've gotten in coming up with a Pan-Am BB line. (Well unless WG starts putting a T2 BB in each line, in which case Constitución would fit the bill.) I kinda lean toward making the T9 also Chilean just because Chile will probably be less represented than Argentina in Pan-Am CL and DD lines.

Edited by Lord_Magus

Sign in to follow this